PDA

View Full Version : Your first internet experience?

White Raven
08-06-2004, 09:36 PM
When were you first exposed to the internet?

I really can't remember the exact time, all I can remember is life before internet and life after internet. :confused:

Shoeberto
08-06-2004, 09:40 PM
My cousin's house in second grade. I used to be a huge fan of the Animorph book series and went to their official website because there was supposed to be a drawing of an alien that had only ever been described in the book.

I used netscape on like a 33.6k connection...it was slow, but it was still cray-zee.

TasteyPies
08-06-2004, 09:41 PM
My grandmother had WebTV. I was into pokemon cards then so all I did was look what was out there.

Many many years ago I guess.

Xander
08-06-2004, 09:51 PM
One of the first times I remember was going to visit my brother, and the net was quite expensive for him then, so he let me go on for about an hour or something, and I went to this chat room site that I'd seen advertised in magazines (www.teenchat.co.uk I think xD) I thought chat rooms were so amazing then and I didn't want to get off it. xD I can't remember exactly when that was but over 5 years ago anyway.

Lindy
08-06-2004, 10:08 PM
GameFAQs, 2000. I had my first account banned in 2001.

*sad tear*

Armisael
08-06-2004, 10:09 PM
If i remember correctly it was four years ago.I went to a site with anime to search about ccs.I watched it a lot then.

mr. anderson
08-06-2004, 10:12 PM
cant remember exactly when but i think it was ''bonus.com'' or something like that

Kituri
08-06-2004, 10:19 PM
When I first started using the Internet I was 14 and I used to go in Chatrooms, usually one of Greychat called UKMob. I made a lot of good friends there, that I am still in contact with even now. I can remember when It was cool to use chatrooms and if you didn't use them then you sucked.

Then I sorta branched out a little, it started when I went looking for some Final Fantasy information and I joined various sites.

Jebus
08-06-2004, 10:25 PM
I remember having AOL from 94-97, but I can't remember my first experience. The earliest I CAN remember though, is downloading Doom .wad files at 9600 baud and thinking it was fast back in 94. :/

Took me 24 hours to download a couple megabytes, and now I can download gigabytes in a few hours. :S

Mahal Kita
08-06-2004, 11:08 PM
I had the internet on my first computer which was my brother's when I was 9. I would even sneak on here and post like when I was 10, actually. ;x

nik0tine
08-06-2004, 11:14 PM
God, i can't remember. It's been so long.

Triple T
08-06-2004, 11:19 PM
When I was in 2nd grade, my sister told me to go on neopets, so I went. I made an account and I have no idea what and where it is anymore... xD

Tenken
08-06-2004, 11:36 PM
STOP INTERROGATING ME!!!:Oo:

ZeZipster
08-06-2004, 11:44 PM
You don't want to know...

Kirobaito
08-07-2004, 12:07 AM
I first got on the 'net at my grandfather's house. The year was 1999, I think. =P I was a late bloomer. I used Netscape Navigator, and instead of typing websites into the browser bar, I pressed 'File' 'Open Location'. I believe that day I searched for Pokemon chatrooms, thinking that I was quite the bad boy for going to an <i>evil<i> chat room.

Meat Puppet
08-07-2004, 12:50 AM
I first used the internet for msn a bit in 2001. I only went on because I got the girls at schools msn address and it was purely for chatting them up. It was great and I never surfed the web because chatting was way more fun. Then incidently somehow I clicked a link in a chat, one thing led to another and next thing I know I'm here.

Yamaneko
08-07-2004, 02:29 AM
Around '96 or so.

Psychotic
08-07-2004, 02:43 AM
I think the first site I went on was the Pokemon one back in 99 or 2000 or something. Back then, I didn't know you could input site's addresses in the addresses, and that you had to in fact use a search engine. But that's what my dad told me. And no, he wasn't playing a trick on me. He's just that computer-illiterate it's amusing. :D

TasteyPies
08-07-2004, 03:06 AM
When i finaly got the internet in my own home, this was the first thing i saw.

WARNING MATURE LANGUAGE
<!--http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/97-->*snip*

Sorry, but there's too much profanity in that link. ~ Leeza

fire_of_avalon
08-07-2004, 03:27 AM
Whenever my friend Mary got it (97, maybe) I would go to her house and look up stuff about the Backstreet boys. Oh yeah, I was cool.

Rusty
08-07-2004, 04:45 AM
The year 2000 I think. I discovered Ebay, I sold, I bought and bid. Was fun, still do it today.

Ouch!
08-07-2004, 04:47 AM
I was with my dad, looking up Legos online. I was a wee kid back then. I didn't touch the internet for a while after that. The next time I used it was to look up Banjo Kazooie, which was how I first found gameFAQs.com, which was a magnificent find. I've been on ever since.

m4tt
08-07-2004, 05:50 AM
Uhh, in the mid 90's. Looking up Simpsons and Space Ghost stuff. Then my friend dragged me into a Yahoo! Chat room and I was stuck for life. :(

Unknown_Soldier
08-07-2004, 05:54 AM
umm i think i was 7. >_> i just know we got a computer, and i had to share a screen name with my sister because aol didn't have enough spaces for my entire family.

anyhoo i like... loaded my computer with useless Sailor Moon pictures... and then... i pretty much dont remember the rest.

Rainecloud
08-07-2004, 07:43 AM
Hm. This one's a toughie. *thinks*

Yes, I remember. I was taking part in a Graphics Technology competition at school which involved using the totally rubbish Acorn computers the school had provided for us. I became annoyed with the useless pieces of junk and decided to head on down to the library. Little did I know that the PCs in the back room of the Library had Internet connections! I asked the Librarian if I could use the 'Net to download some pictures as "Research" for my project, and she said yes.

My project was to redesign the box and instruction manual for Final Fantasy VII, and I think the final product came out fairly well. Having said that, the character illustrations in the manual weren't all that fantastic, and Yuffie looked like a 30 year old hooker. So anyway, my Final Fantasy VII project lead me to use the 'Net for the first time, and a couple of the first sites I ever visited were the Final Fantasy VII Citadel (which is still growing strong today), and of course, EoFF.

Kirkpatrick
08-07-2004, 07:46 AM
I have no idea when this was many years ago (at least seven, at any rate), and I went on my dad's computer which *gasp* had the internet!. All I did was go to startrek.com, but because it was so graphic heavy it took forever to load, and when I clicked one of the links, it still took forever and I was worried I had messed something up by trying to click on a link before the page had loaded :p.

But yeah, a few years later we got the internet on the family computer, and I can't imagine not having it anymore.

Mikztsu
08-07-2004, 12:10 PM
Went to www.sj-sharks.com to read summer's transfer news. Yip.

Rye
08-07-2004, 01:43 PM
I think it was looking for a The Sims site, when I was in like, 4th or 5th grade.

escobert
08-07-2004, 04:50 PM
I played starcraft. I think I was in 6th or 7th grade.

DMKA
08-07-2004, 05:11 PM
The Year: 1996

The Place: Flemming Middle School Computer Lab, Lomita, CA.

The Grade: 6th

The Time: Lunch Time

The Browser: Netscape Navigator

The OS: Mac

The Website: Playstation.com - The PS1 was pretty damn new and I would look at pretty screenshots of Crash Bandicoot in awe at the AMAZING GRAPHICS and wish I had one so bad.

The Connection Speed: 14.4K...that was fast at the time.

I kinda miss those days, when I was ignorant and didn't even know what email was. :shame:

Thunday Man
08-07-2004, 07:45 PM
An internet mmorpg by Sierra called The Realm.

Good times.

Miriel
08-07-2004, 09:00 PM
I got AOL in 1998 or something but I only used it for research or mail for the longest time. Then in 2000 I discovered Theonering.net and that was the first time I started frequenting a website regularly, joined a community etc.

Freya
08-07-2004, 09:05 PM
lets see i had AOL and i was obbesesd with harry potter but that was about it when i dumped AOL and HP is when i really started to use the internet it was a gundam wing fourm/rpg site thing thats where i learned all internet related things. that was in 2000 i think yeah but that site is long gone now what was it called *ponders* ah Ultimate wing gundam. so yeah that was the first for me