PDA

View Full Version : Plastic/Cosmetic Surgery

Dingo Jellybean
08-07-2004, 12:16 AM
I was browsing through the my Friends' LJ list today for the first time in a few weeks and noticed a topic worth threading.

What even provoked me more to do this topic was how all the plastic surgery shows were the rave these days. I mean despite the cost of plastic surgery, these reality shows are still incredibly cheap when compared to building a show like Fraiser or CSI:Miami, in which it seldom dips into 7 figures while CSI:Miami has an annual budget that comes pretty close to 9 figures.

Then what got me sick to my stomach was how these celebrities bad-mouthed people who want to look like them, even though 95% of all celebrities have had some form of plastic/cosmetic surgery or another. Also, if you can pick quarters out of a payphone with your nose, then maybe plastic surgery isn't such a bad consideration. If you're often confused with being a white Mickey Mouse, again, plastic surgery isn't such a bad idea. It's easy for these celebrities to say plastic surgery isn't worth it because none of them are born with facial disfigurements. I remember reading somewhere that 8/10 <i>male</i> celebrities have had plastic surgery in one form or another. So the guys do it almost as much as the girls.

The way I see it, plastic surgery to celebrities are like steroids to an athlete. They all want everyone to think that they were born with these attributes. They all rather admit to alcohol or drug problems than to steroids or plastic surgery. It's like someone comes up to you on the street and say "Wow, that's a great nose, who did it?" That's not really a compliment. Or if someone says "Wow, 600 feet. You really blasted that thing, what you takin?" Again, not really a compliment.

But in the end, it's whatever makes you happy...but I think most people would be lying if they haven't considered it at one point or another. And most people would be lying if they say looks don't matter or that "beauty is on the inside" and stuff like that. While it is true in some cases, let's face it...we all want someone to be attractive when me date them and such, and we want to be comparable to them in terms of attractiveness.

kikimm
08-07-2004, 12:25 AM
Unless you have some horrible disfigurement, or you've been in an accident, don't fo the plastic surgery thing. There's so many things that could go wrong. These celebrities are stupid. They have a job that requires them to portray human emotion. With a plastic face, how can they do that? All they're doing is slowing down the aging process--but even that doesn't always work. Look at that lady, Joan Rivers, or that cat-woman, I can't remember her name. It's unhuman to look that way, and disgusting that they're doing that to themselves. It's vain, and it bothers me. I'm not saying that I've never considered it, but I've never considered it seroiusly. I don't have huge problems with the way I look. I hope I never do it. Natural is better, all the way.

But in the end, it's whatever makes you happy

Although it seems like these people are never happy. They keep going back for more, it's like heroin for them. It's pathetic, I think.

:D

Giga Guess
08-07-2004, 12:37 AM
I agree. If it is needed, or "needed" (As in not medically, but are left horribly disfigured, or the like) yeah, go nuts....but the people who go Whacko Jacko are not cosure in my books. People should have to undergo psychoanalysis before they undergo these changes, to determine if they either:
a.) Really want to change something, and leave it at that, or
b.) Want to log frequent hacking miles, getting their body chewed and hacked to fill some void.

As for the costs between "reality" TV and formal shows, that's the thing, and that's why so many networks are picking them up. They're dirt cheap! No actors, no writers, just a bunch of schlubs clamouring for camera time, and a reward that's a fraction of what is typically made by the companies who produce these shows.