PDA

View Full Version : Collateral

Yamaneko
08-07-2004, 02:41 AM
Good movie. I liked that it was all filmed on video and not film. It gives it a much better atmosphere. The story was pretty well put together. The coincidences weren't lame or anything and I thought that Cruise being a bad guy was a good choice. I think the audience is supposed to like him in the beginning, but by the end he becomes despicable. He does an excellent job, showing some regret at right times during the movie. Foxx did a good job too. He often plays really exited and jubilant characters in movies, but in this one he's quite bland. It suits him and suits the film. The action sequences were nicely done as well. It wasn't overdone. One of the better action films I've seen.

Linus
08-07-2004, 06:12 AM
I admired the twist at Fever.

-N-
08-07-2004, 07:05 AM
I thought this movie was excellent. I wasn't sure on what to make of Foxx's character - he seems pathetic, but easiest to sympathize with. He certainly began to shine after the meeting with Felix. Cruise's character was well done and amazing in all aspects. I also really liked the dialogue between Foxx and Smith in the beginning - you know it was just kinda there to set the stage, but what I admired about it was that it wasn't forced at all - it just seemed so natural. The flow of the movie was brilliant. I'm still trying to think of something I didn't like (other than Foxx's character in the beginning, which I don't think I don't like, because it makes sense).

And did I mention there were some pretty funny parts in the movie?

You might want to add spoiler notices, though.

Yamaneko
08-07-2004, 07:17 AM
I agree, Max (Foxx) is pretty pathetic. He really doesn't know what to do with his life, holding onto a dream that will never come true. Vincent (Cruise) reminds him of that. I also really liked the dialog in the cab between those two. It was intelligent. One thing I didn't quite understand was the significance of the coyote. Vincent gets a look on his face that I couldn't quite understand. Could someone clarify that part for me?

-N-
08-07-2004, 05:51 PM
I interpreted it to reveal the similarities between the coyote and Vincent. The introduction of the song accentuates that as well. The coyote is usually depicted as a loner; Vincent is definitely a loner. The coyote's eyes light up when Max's car comes by, but it's a reflection of other people's light, not his own. By the same token, Vincent doesn't really seem to emit any of "his light" - he is a lurking shadow; it's part of his job. Also, you couldn't actually see the coyote's eyes - that also links to Vincent, because for most of the story you can't really see into Vincent or understand what he's all about.
What was the name of that song at that part? The soundtrack I thought in general was pretty cool.

Linus
08-08-2004, 05:22 AM
Audioslave - Shadow on the Sun

It's on Audioslave's self-titled first cd, and I found myself singing along to it without thinking about it.

Strider
08-16-2004, 01:15 PM
I thought this was a really good movie. I've seen several this summer, but I've gotta say this might be the best of the bunch.