PDA

View Full Version : what makes an ff great?

aeris2001x2
08-07-2004, 06:15 PM
ok, what is the most important aspect of a FF game? what is the first thing u look for?

mine is always character development. it can have a cliched plot, but if the characters have immense depth and i can emphasise with them, then i,ll play the game till the end of time.

Snowman
08-07-2004, 06:29 PM
without a decent story tho, theres nothing to push teh characters to mature, learn and grow

aeris2001x2
08-07-2004, 06:40 PM
whoops i did miss music, dumb me.

in reference to snowmans comment, that is not nessacrily the case but i see the logic behind it.

but ffV has wonderful characters with a meh plot.

while ffVIII has a original story i really enjoyed with selphie, qusitis, zell and irvine pathetically developed.

Snowman
08-07-2004, 06:44 PM
see i carnt just enjoy music if the storys naff...they have to jive togeather. as for characters....naff characters can survive when graced with good storytelling.....but good characters tend to fall when overshadowed by a hopeless tale

aeris2001x2
08-07-2004, 06:51 PM
well i can see that many ppl apply this to FF games.

e.g- many ppl like ffII which had a fantastic story and beautiful music but was let down by the worst developed characters in ff history.

i dont know, maybe u need a perfect mesh to create the perfect ff game (ffVI,ffVII).

Cz
08-07-2004, 06:54 PM
I don't really see the difference between 'gameplay' and 'battle system', so I went for battle system. It is the absolute heart and soul of a Final Fantasy, and a good battle system is crucial to the success of a title.

aeris2001x2
08-07-2004, 07:07 PM
well that maybe the case but what about ffIV? that did not really have a battle systerm. it was just fantastic everything else.

Snowman
08-07-2004, 07:24 PM
battle system is the battle system...active time battle etc. gameplay is not only battles but moving around teh screen, graphics, weather it keeps your attention, character interaction, confusing menus etc

kikimm
08-07-2004, 07:54 PM
I voted for character development, as that is the most important thing to me, but story comes in a close second. Everything else can be complete crap, but if those two aspects of the game are wonderful, then I'll play it, and I'll like it. That's all that matters.

:D

CloudySky
08-07-2004, 08:00 PM
I can't vote because I think everything in FF is important and usually it is a great story accompanied by interesting chars, good music, excellent graphic, cool battle system, etc. I do really think that FF games are among best creations of the Humankind.

Ultima Shadow
08-07-2004, 08:03 PM
Seriously, I can't vote since Character development story line, Game play and Battle system are all so important that an RPG can't be a good RPG without any of them.

FFFreakX-2
08-09-2004, 08:16 AM
Well I Voted Story Line But Music Is Very Importent also because thats the thing that usally keeps me in wake jk no but its really good to have i get the songs in ff X stuck in my head! But i would vote music but i dont see it up there

DJZen
08-09-2004, 08:53 PM
I'm voting for gameplay. Story is a good thing, but if the game just isn't fun to play I say it's better off as a movie, and we all know what people say when Squa.... Squenix wants to make a movie....

TasteyPies
08-09-2004, 10:56 PM
All of those make an FF great.

Jolts
08-10-2004, 10:43 AM
All of them, yes, but the graphics don't have to be top-of-the-line. Look at FFVII, everybody liked it (mostly everybody), and its graphics were terrible. Most of the polygons didn't have textrues, just shading (I think the landscapes in the world map had textures), nobody had fingers (except Barret with his thumb on that one hand :lol: ), and the animation, out of battle, was atrocious.

UltimateSpamGrover
08-10-2004, 11:02 AM
There wouldnt be a FF without a storyline, they basically reuse the music and every FF anyway

DJZen
08-10-2004, 09:15 PM
No, there's only 5 songs that have been re-used more than once, and one is the Chocobo theme which keeps getting re-worked in every game.

mr. anderson
08-10-2004, 09:29 PM
i think the storyline is what makes final fantasys so good,and thats why ff7 is my favorite

Dingo Jellybean
08-10-2004, 09:49 PM
I would say game play and storyline makes a game great.

More game play than story, because no matter how good a story is, it's often not worth playing if the game sucks.

FF6 easily had the best story and best game play. Every part of that game speaks perfection. Although FF7 is a fun and good game, people calling it the best FF is a bit overated. It just happened to be the first FF that most FF fans played...and that instills bias automatically right there that older FFs couldn't possibly be better. I actually played FF6 AFTER FF7 and found FF6 superior in every way(even graphics). But FF1 was my first FF.

Del Murder
08-11-2004, 03:39 AM
I agree with Dingo, gameplay and story are the most important. You could make a good game with just those, really.