PDA

View Full Version : M. Night Shymalan is the worlds worst, most overrated film maker.

Lindy
08-07-2004, 09:00 PM
He is, face it.

The Sixth Sense was terrible, with a horrifyingly obvious ending.

Unbreakable was a near-nigh identical film, in fact while watching it was expecting a twist at the end that OH MY GOD Bruce Willis' character was dead! but I was sadly dissapointed.

And then Signs, pure, unadulterated rubbish.

All his films go in the same manner, dramatic build up attempting to build some tension. Then, very much of an anti-climax of an ending, where something dramatic happens and then THAT'S IT, THE END. And it just leaves me going WTF WHERE WAS THE REST OF THE FILM WHERE SOMETHING ACTUALLY HAPPENS?

And then comes the new film, The Village, where the man has the gall to actually put his terrible name to it.

I for one won't be seeing it, not out of protest just because it'll be a terrible waste of money and time. Did I mention waste of money?

So yes, who enjoys his "work" and who doesn't?

EDIT : I don't know if I spelt his name right, but it's a stupid name and I don't care.

Xander
08-07-2004, 09:12 PM
I enjoy his films.

Firstly because of the tension they have in them, they always make me jump at some point.

Secondly because of the twists at the ends of The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable, neither of which were obvious to me. Maybe I'm just slow but I didn't realise he was dead in the first one. It was interesting to watch it a second time knowing.

The Sixth Sense, made me feel spooked, and made me cry. I like films that bring out some emotion in me.

Signs, I didn't like as much as the others but I still liked.

So yes, I enjoy his work.

Lindy
08-07-2004, 09:15 PM
Unbreakable didn't even have a twist =(

It was just "Ahar! I am invincible, except against water, which was revealed much earlier in the film! And now I just overcome my weakness of water! *the end* "

Xander
08-07-2004, 09:17 PM
No, the twist was the comic book maker being that terrorist, or something like that. I forget exactly. It just made me sit there thinking for ages. I like when films do that.

Lindy
08-07-2004, 09:19 PM
I think that one was pretty obvious when he was referring to himself as the opposite of Willis' character, I'm sure he mentioned that they were nemeses or something like that.

That and he was so intent of finding someone who was like a comic book hero.

-N-
08-07-2004, 09:21 PM
Make a movie better than him. Then I'll buy your argument.

Or I'll just settle for a sound argument, although I think that's asking for too much here.
Logic is as much overrated to you as M. Night Shyamalan is, it seems. *yawn* :rolleyes2:

Lindy
08-07-2004, 09:23 PM
So the fact that nothing ever really happens in his films, except right at the end, isn't a valid argument for why they're bad films?

Funny, you see, where I come from, that makes a bad film.

Auron7
08-07-2004, 09:26 PM
M. Night Shylaman is one of the worlds greatest film maker of all time.

The Sixth Sense: Scary and wonderful, evryone was always saying the phrase: I see dead people

Signs: It dosnt matter if its unadultrated, its a great show.

Unbreakable: An also great movie with a great twist.

The Village: Not one of the greatest films he made, but, it still had a unthinkable and suprising story line.

-N-
08-08-2004, 12:04 AM
So the fact that nothing ever really happens in his films, except right at the end, isn't a valid argument for why they're bad films?

Funny, you see, where I come from, that makes a bad film.
Funny, you see, where I come from, we use evidence to establish an argument, not opinion.
I'm done with mildly flaming you for bastardizing logic, though - I'm not out to hate you. I'm over it, so have a nice day. :)

edit: The quotes just came out wrong, so I have to say I love you, in a song.

TheAbominatrix
08-08-2004, 12:15 AM
Personally, I dont care about all the little nitpicking. If I enjoy a film, then it's a good film for me. If I dont enjoy it, then it sucks. Big deal.

metCloud
08-08-2004, 01:18 AM
The only one I really didnt like was Unbreakable, Just wasnt my kinda movie. Well acually I dont really like any of them but that doesnt make them bad movies or a bad director just because I dont like 'em. My main gripes about him would be the way he tells his stories, they are too slow paced for me. Also he seems to like to use the same actors in his movies, not that its a horrible thing but still kinda dumb in my book.

Mr. Graves
08-08-2004, 04:18 AM
People say American Beauty was highly overrated, and I really enjoyed that movie.

I judge films by their content, not the director. I think the screenwriter/editor(s) are the ones who decides what content a film has when he writes a script, moreso than the director.

kikimm
08-08-2004, 04:45 AM
I think he's great. No, his films aren't slasher movies, or full of actoin and violence, or anything. But they're good stories. That's what I'm looking for, when I go to the movies, anyways.

I will agree that his movies can be somewhat predictable at times, but his movies are the only thing owrth going to see at this point. Nothing else has motivated me to go out and see a movie. It's all the same right now-no one is making any different movies nowadays. It's either these "epic" movies from different time periods, or these horrible romantic comedies. He's a very creative guy, imo. He's putting out movies with plots that haven't been used a million times before. You can't deny him that.

To sum it all up, I like him, I think he's a genius.

:D

escobert
08-08-2004, 04:49 AM
Personally, I dont care about all the little nitpicking. If I enjoy a film, then it's a good film for me. If I dont enjoy it, then it sucks. Big deal.
Same here. And the films of his I have watched I enjoyed.

Zell's Fists of Fury
08-08-2004, 05:05 AM
Jeez, anger management, dude.

I lieks all his movies up to The Villiage. The Sixth Sense was pretty scary for me and the first time I saw it I was surprised by it.

Unbreakable was interesting to me. Not really surprizing to say the least, but it was a good watch. The kid couldn't act his way out of a wet paper bag to save his live though.

Signs, yes it had a couple of plot holes, but the suspense of when the ALiens were in the house was awesome. I loved the movie for that scene alone. Of course I saw it in the theater with surround sound, so it's much better than on a tv.

The Villiage was meh.

Calliope
08-08-2004, 06:49 AM
INDY LINDY, WILL YOU MARRY ME?

edczxcvbnm
08-08-2004, 07:21 AM
I have not seen the village but I thought the other 3 movies where fantastic. I really like the stories of the Unbreakable and The Sixth Sense. I liked the underlying story to Signs; ya know...a man and his struggles with Fate and Faith. I didn't really care for that alien stuff too much.

The thing I really liked about Unbreakable that the other movies didn't do was an inconclusive ending. Bad guy was caught and all but where does he go from there? Should he continue to be a 'super hero'? Is what he is doing with his family right? All the things that seemed to have made him better where all really based on advice by this lunatic. Where does he go and what does he do? I really liked that.

Del Murder
08-08-2004, 07:34 AM
Sixth Sense was great. Very suspenseful, and I honestly didn't see the ending coming.

Unbreakable was ok. Still interesting though, and I like Sam Jackson and Bruce, so that made it more enjoyable. The twist was kind of expected but it still was surprising and worth seeing once.

I have not seen the other films, but, living in Los Angeles for four years, I can say that there are plenty worse filmmakers out there. The Village does look pretty dumb though.

Burtsplurt
08-08-2004, 08:53 AM
I liked the Sixth Sense. I didn't have a clue about the ending, but, then again, I wasn't expecting a twist.

I haven't seen the others, largely because they look inferior.

BatChao
08-08-2004, 10:20 AM
I really enjoyed 6th Sense and Unbreakable. Signs was good, but not as good as these two. As a writer, I think Shyamalan has a good mind to come up with fresh takes on ideas that have already been used a lot already. I really like how Unbreakable took the 'superhero' story and put a human face on it. Yes, this guy is basically invincible, yet he fights against it. He wants to live a normals life, yet the Elijah character is trying to push him towards his 'destiny'. 6th Sense was also a nice take on the ghost story. Yes, this kid can see ghosts, but how he reacts to them and to see him grow through these events is awesome.

Signs, I think, is a good testament of Shyamalan's keen eye and directing skill. He uses great camera angles to really build up the suspense of a scene. The knife scene and flashlight scenes were both excellent.

The Village... I'm not a fan of. Dunno what happened there. It seemed that it was really forced... so I can't say much good about it. But there were still some instances of great camera work.

Lindy
08-08-2004, 07:17 PM
INDY LINDY, WILL YOU MARRY ME?
I would, but then several people would hurt me for it =(

But, in the critique sense, maybe.

fire_of_avalon
08-09-2004, 01:03 AM
I like him. :D

SomethingBig
08-09-2004, 03:41 AM
Meh, he's decent, IMO. Just decent. Signs was just godawful, but the Sixth Sense was pretty creepy. The Village looks decent, so I'll rent that from Blockbuster when it comes out on DVD. About Signs, I still cry at night knowing I wasted 10 dollars on that garbage. The moment that fight scene with the alien came up at the end made me want to shoot myself. The entire movie was rubbish and it was very poorly done.

escobert
08-09-2004, 03:43 AM
I liked signs a lot :(

Germ Hamee
08-11-2004, 12:18 AM
I really enjoyed The Sixth Sense and Signs. I thought the stories were really great and well-thought out, especially for such blockbusters. I never saw Unbreakable. The Village... was okay. I think it was a great idea, and the music was completely orgasmic, but it could have been executed much better. Just meh.

Shlup
08-11-2004, 10:28 PM
I've only seen The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable, but I liked them both, espeicially the former. I'm a little bugged that all his movies have his name like right in the title now, but whatever. I didn't think Sixth Sense's twist was obvious, and I thought Unbreakable was well thought-out and original.