PDA

View Full Version : Silent Hill 3

Giga Guess
08-07-2004, 09:21 PM
Who here has played this game? I just rented it, and.....brrrrrrr......

A word of advice? Playing this game just prior to going to sleep? Not recommended.

[EDIT:] Ooops. Sorry.

Yamaneko
08-07-2004, 09:34 PM
Wrong forum. *moves*

Chris
08-07-2004, 09:38 PM
I actually bought it recently for my PC...but only to find out that my computer didn't have the acquired "things??" to run it :mad2:

Shoyku
08-08-2004, 01:57 AM
Played it and beat it a numerous amount of times on PS2. It's become one of my favourite PS2 games, very moody-- the free soundtrack is also a nice addition.

kikimm
08-08-2004, 01:58 AM
It looks so good, but I've only played the second one. But I heard that the first and third one are more connected, so I can't play this one for awhile. I was playing SH2 at 1:00 in the morning once...couldn't go to bed for a LONG time. I was constantly getting up and walking around my room, making sure no one was there. Yeah, I'm lame...

Is it any good, by the way?

:D

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
08-08-2004, 05:07 AM
its a great game....im up to the park in the middle of the game

during the hospital the mirror scared the capr out of me.....i could not look at a big mirror for ages....

Giga Guess
08-08-2004, 05:10 AM
Yeah? Well after facing off against a couple of those dogs, and trying to sleep, a local dog started barking it's fool head off. Scared the hell outta me!

Levian
08-08-2004, 01:07 PM
Silent Hill 3 is a nice game. I'm having a real hard time choosing a favorite out of the three Silent Hill games. Heather is obviously the superior main character, but I didn't really like the levels in SH3 (Subway, Sewers, Amusement park). It did have some great puzzles though :) Quite the scary one too, I remember jumping when running by the phone in the subway and it started ringing :o

darkchrono
08-09-2004, 02:38 AM
now when people say these silent hill games are so scary are they more or less just talking about all the zombies and what not that jump up and surprise you, Or is there something within the plot that makes the game scary.

I played #2 for a little while and to tell you the truth all I really got out of it was a boring hack and slash zombie game. Not a scary zombie game. Though I didn't finish it as I just started getting a little to bored of going to one room and killing a few zombies then going to the next room to kill a few more zombies.

So for those of you who think these games are so scary. What is it in your opinions that make them scary.

kikimm
08-09-2004, 10:11 AM
The whole atmosphere of them, is more than a little creepy. They aren't like RE games where it's more of a 'BOO'! type of thing. I think these games are more unsettling, and disturbing. It's more of a psychological thing.

chichi
08-09-2004, 10:39 AM
I love the Silent Hill series. I've played one, two and i'm playing three at moment. I'm up to the Subway bit. I think my favourite would be the first Silent Hill. I love the atmosphere the game creates, the mysterious characters, the storyline and the creepy locations. I also love how it scares the crap out of me. I only ever play the games at night because I love being scared (though I have had to sleep with the light one before!).

Giga Guess
08-15-2004, 04:11 AM
So what should I know for a fact from Silent Hill 1 so I'm not completely lost? I mean I know the basics, about Dahlia and Alessa, and stuff...any other details I should know?

Zell's Fists of Fury
08-15-2004, 07:14 AM
now when people say these silent hill games are so scary are they more or less just talking about all the zombies and what not that jump up and surprise you, Or is there something within the plot that makes the game scary.

I played #2 for a little while and to tell you the truth all I really got out of it was a boring hack and slash zombie game. Not a scary zombie game. Though I didn't finish it as I just started getting a little to bored of going to one room and killing a few zombies then going to the next room to kill a few more zombies.

So for those of you who think these games are so scary. What is it in your opinions that make them scary.
I think you're playing the wrong game, chum. No zombies in Silent Hill. And it's not even a hack and slash zombie game. You might be thinking of Resident Evil.

As for what makes it scary is the fact that it's downright creepy. The settings and atmosphere is unsettling to say the elast. You enter places that are normally innocent (Elementary school, amusement parks, hospitals, malls, etc) that are turned into litteral nightmares. The monsters themselves are disturbing. I tell you, I nearly pissed my pants every times I saw Pyramid Head in 2. Just walking through the darkness to see him standing there was horrible.

I refuse to play Silent Hill games in anything other than complete darkness. It adds to the whole creepiness factor tenfold.

And Giga, that's about all you need to know. If you've played 1, then you're golden.

Germ Hamee
08-15-2004, 09:09 AM
The games usually don't scare me until toward the end of the game, when the plot is all built up, the world is completely twisted, and it's just so freaking stressful to play. I remember being scared to death at the end of the first game every time I opened a door, because I had NO idea wtf the game was going to through at me next. Gyaaah, I shut the game off in panic and hid under my blankets more than once.

As for SH3, I enjoyed playing it. It wasn't quite as scary to me as the first game, but freakier than the second. I was incredibly disappointed with the plot, though. I had the whole thing figured out before I even bought the damned thing, so I was kind of sad to see my suspicions played out exactly.

Giga Guess
08-15-2004, 04:46 PM
:laughing: Aheheheheheh....actually, I haven't played Silent Hill 1. I just gleaned a few details reading a Silent Hill 3 Strategy Guide.

darkchrono
08-15-2004, 06:00 PM
well yes it was silent hil 2. And if you don't want to call them zombies just call them monsters then.

And to the point where I played it to it was indeed just a repetitive game where all you do is find your way through a building and kill 'monsters' in each room. Now if there were some story scenarios then I could see it being scary. But I have a hard time viewing a video game as being scary because the room I am in looks creepy.

Zell's Fists of Fury
08-15-2004, 06:04 PM
Yeah well, I still think you're playing the wrong game. Or you didn't play much of it.

What do you mean by story scenarios?

Giga Guess
08-16-2004, 02:17 AM
I know. The game is basically uninterrupted. Only puzzles.

darkchrono
08-16-2004, 06:09 AM
well what I meant by story scenarios is that the plot would explain why there are zombies coming out of every room and why the atmosphere is supposed to be scary.

But when it is just a bunch of random monster encounters in each room and the game doesn't explain why that is it is hard to get in or stay into it.

Zell's Fists of Fury
08-16-2004, 07:39 AM
It does though. In number one.
And there's stuff for you to figure out on your own. The story is very deep.

There's a link somewhere that helps to explain it, but I doubt you want to see it, seeing as you hate the game or whatever.

Germ Hamee
08-16-2004, 08:01 AM
Silent Hill never spells the story out for you. They lay out hints for you on the rare occasion you run into another person, and through the various puzzles, scraps of notes lying around, or even a picture. That's what I love the most about it: the creators of the game assume you have a brain and expect you to use it. I wish more games would do that.

Levian
08-16-2004, 01:24 PM
:laughing: Aheheheheheh....actually, I haven't played Silent Hill 1. I just gleaned a few details reading a Silent Hill 3 Strategy Guide.

Well, then you sould be playing SH1 first. After all, SH3 is the continuation. You wouldn't watch Kill Bill before Kill Bill 1, eh? Anyway, there is a bit more than the Alessa/Dahlia thing. You should try getting the good ending(not good+). SH3 continues from that ending.

chichi
08-16-2004, 04:33 PM
I tell you, I nearly pissed my pants every times I saw Pyramid Head in 2. Just walking through the darkness to see him standing there was horrible.

I refuse to play Silent Hill games in anything other than complete darkness. It adds to the whole creepiness factor tenfold.

That pyramid head guy scared the crap out of me too! I remember being chased by him in the hospital I think and you had to run through water in these corridors and I was freaked he was going to be behind me every time I turned around. Yep, he was definitely SCARY! :cry:

I only play it in the dark too. You need the atmosphere to be just right for Silent Hill. That's how the game is meant to be played.

Giga Guess
08-23-2004, 03:10 PM
I saw a pic of Pyramid head....yeesh! THAT is not something I'd like to meet in a dark alley...

kikimm
08-23-2004, 09:38 PM
Every time I think about pyramid head it makes me shudder. What's worse is that you can't even do anything about them. The only thing you can do is run away, and hope they won't be at the next turn. Okay. I've GOT to go and buy the first one. I'm in the mood for something creepy, and psychological right now.

Levian
08-23-2004, 09:55 PM
I like pyramid head. He scared the excrements out of my cousin. :freak:

Shoeberto
08-23-2004, 10:18 PM
I thought the Pyramid Head was kind of silly looking, to be honest. It did make for some good tension, though. Kind of like Nemesis in RE3.

Levian
08-23-2004, 10:19 PM
Yeah, it's always good with a challenge like an invincible monster. Nemesis sure made my nerves shaky :) I felt too powerful when playing SH2, so it was a good addition.

Giga Guess
08-23-2004, 11:19 PM
Yeah, next time I'm in the city, I'm'a gonna buy SIlent Hill 1 and 3 for sure. At the moment. Silent Hill 2 and 4 will come later.

kikimm
08-26-2004, 07:36 AM
Mwaha. Finally bought SH1. After SH2 (which is creepy and disturbing in so many ways, but not....make-me-jump scary), I wasn't expecting this to be THAT scary. I was wrong. Even the music is crepy. I've only played about 5 or 6 hours or so, but it was definitley worth that 10 bucks.

Sephex
08-26-2004, 10:17 PM
I liked how 3 connected to 1, but that the same time I was a bit disappointed. I'll explain why with this part of my review that I wrote.

"The story is thoroughly explained this time. However, half the fun in Silent Hill is figuring out just what the hell is going on. Having the game put the pieces of the puzzle together for you might disappoint those who crave the David Lynch like feeling of disorientation."

Other than that little problem, I enjoyed the game.

Levian
08-27-2004, 09:44 AM
Yeah, I agree. I had a hunch what was going on in SH1, but I checked gamefaqs anyway, and it was a lot more complex than I thought. After SH2 I was close to the truth, but I still hadn't figured it all out. I didn't figure out who Laura was :p In SH3, I didn't need to check the internet at all :/ they told me everything. bastards.

Giga Guess
08-27-2004, 01:29 PM
Silent Hill 3 was probably more for the people who were whining about how vague SH1 was. I guess SH4 will determine that, now won't it?