PDA

View Full Version : Eizon's currency

Agent Proto
08-09-2004, 11:42 PM
I think we'll be using a world-wide currency system, so that no country will have an advantage over others in money-terms. Now, Eizon's currency will be the Eiz (pronounced "Ace"). Symbol: Σ

So, anyway. We'll be needing a design for the currency. Maybe if more people pitch in and make a design, we could vote. If you can, make a design for five Eiz bills.

Σ1 Bills, Σ5 Bills, Σ10 Bills, Σ50 Bills, and Σ100 Bills.

Carnage
08-09-2004, 11:57 PM
Use cid and his knights lol.

Wyllius
08-10-2004, 01:19 AM
If we are supposed to be in a medieval technology era, then coinage would really be the best method of currency, paper money wasn't viable in this world until 1694 and that required complex economics such as national debt. Plus going by paper, even if rare would be easy to duplicate as the masses would not know about the specifics of manufacture and the currency itself would most likely be drawn by hand, and forgers would have a field day making millions of fakes and causing economies to collapse from hyperinflation due to massive currency overloads.

-N-
08-10-2004, 01:56 AM
You're just that "ace", aren't you? :p

Perhaps we should be designing coins then.

Wyllius
08-10-2004, 02:04 AM
You're just that "ace", aren't you? :p

I make no such claims of that and hinder it whenever I can. I merely make suggestions when applicable and they will allow BoB and Proto to devise some sort of gamesmaster rule to prevent the downfalls of paper money that I have noted to attempt to make a bill system work.

-N-
08-10-2004, 02:05 AM
Oops. I was referring to Proto and him calling the money "ace". You know, that thing he always had in his sig? "I'm just that ace"? Right? Right? Anyone? :(

Agent Proto
08-10-2004, 02:24 AM
Well, this would be for later use anyway. *nod*

-N-
08-10-2004, 07:14 AM
HA! See? It's still there! I'm not insane! :p

Linus
08-10-2004, 07:46 AM
What in the Hell is Wyllius doing here?

Nait
08-10-2004, 08:15 AM
I would not suggest using a international currency because in medieval times there were no "currencies". x) Just gold and stuff, exept maybe in great financial centers where merchants could hand out cheques that transform into paper-money later on.

Az Lionheart
08-10-2004, 08:39 AM
come on you guys if we did have a currency then it would have to be in Gil :D

Nait
08-10-2004, 08:44 AM
And currencies have always stemmed from nations. I have some ideas for money - like tax-tokens.

Wyllius
08-10-2004, 11:00 AM
What in the Hell is Wyllius doing here?

Spreading Lies and Confusion.

Cz
08-10-2004, 11:19 AM
In the interest of simplicity, it would be a good idea to have a single currency. This would be rather unrealistic, but to combat this we could have the currency be a precious metal such as gold or silver. This could then develop into a modern currency system later on. The advantage of this is that we don't have to muck around with exchange rates etc.

Or we could just use bartering for the time being, and work on our sales techniques. :D

Agent Proto
08-10-2004, 04:50 PM
Exactly. We don't want to go through the trouble of exchange rates in Eizon.

Nait
08-10-2004, 05:31 PM
On the contrary, I feel that currency (or no currency) is a very interesting part of nation-birth that I feel should be investigated and discovered properly.

YOU are in the control of natural resources and such, and you already have control over currencies that way.

Besides, in medieval times there were no real "exchange" rates.

EDIT:

And I feel that issuing a global currency is just too unrealistic. Where's the backing? Why should people use a strange money they know nothing about? Where do you exchange it for gold? There are zillions and gillions of problems with this scenario, mostly because medieval tech-level may or may not have even traditional metal currency!

Cz
08-10-2004, 06:41 PM
It would seem that at this stage, trade is already bustling between nations. Unless a currency was immediately established at the birth of Eizon, the only sensible option would be for neighbouring states to adopt the same monetary units. It would be quite normal for a whole continent to use one currency, and not particularly unusual for this currency to exist on multiple continents.

In conclusion, I'd say that a single currency isn't as unrealistic as you might think. Perhaps 2 or 3 different systems would exist, but no more than that, and I don't think it's too far-fetched to assume that the Nations of Eizon would have agreed to use a single currency. It is far-fetched that they would have decided to call it the 'Ace'. :D

Nait
08-10-2004, 06:53 PM
It would seem that at this stage, trade is already bustling between nations. Unless a currency was immediately established at the birth of Eizon, the only sensible option would be for neighbouring states to adopt the same monetary units. It would be quite normal for a whole continent to use one currency, and not particularly unusual for this currency to exist on multiple continents.

In conclusion, I'd say that a single currency isn't as unrealistic as you might think. Perhaps 2 or 3 different systems would exist, but no more than that, and I don't think it's too far-fetched to assume that the Nations of Eizon would have agreed to use a single currency. It is far-fetched that they would have decided to call it the 'Ace'. :D

Pfft. Trade can easily be done in local currency, if any, and besides, in low-tech societies money will be gold or silver or other such. Stamped coins of different values, purities and so forth. It is ridiculous to suppose that a whole continent would use in good faith a single currency. The closest we have come is using the legal tender of the strongest economies in international trade, and the use of precious metals as money.

Besides, if we're going to creat nations, let us play nations. This is one things nations do - legal tender.

Carnage
08-10-2004, 06:56 PM
no their should definatly be a wordly currency. How bout just credits or gil.

Nait
08-10-2004, 06:58 PM
Why should there be a world currency when we don't even have trade yet?

Bugger you all. I'll STILL make my own currency. Cause <i>that's the right way to do it</i>.

Cz
08-10-2004, 07:07 PM
Pfft. Trade can easily be done in local currency, if any, and besides, in low-tech societies money will be gold or silver or other such. Stamped coins of different values, purities and so forth.
Yes, exactly. If fairly advanced nations are all going to use that kind of system, why wouldn't they just standardize it and make it into a single currency.

It is ridiculous to suppose that a whole continent would use in good faith a single currency. The closest we have come is using the legal tender of the strongest economies in international trade, and the use of precious metals as money.
What about the Euro? Almost an entire continent chose to adopt that currency, and the only thing that stopped it happening earlier was tension between nations. At this stage, the nations of our world are allied, and the inhabitants intelligent enough to devise such a system. Adoption of a single currency isn't inevitable, but it's certainly possible.

Besides, if we're going to create nations, let us play nations. This is one things nations do - legal tender. Indeed, but some nations might choose to unite their currencies, too. Ideally, we'd have the option to do either. So hopefully that will be the case, and we'll have the freedom to do as we wish, economy-wise.

Nait
08-10-2004, 07:18 PM
Yes, exactly. If fairly advanced nations are all going to use that kind of system, why wouldn't they just standardize it and make it into a single currency.

What about the Euro? Almost an entire continent chose to adopt that currency, and the only thing that stopped it happening earlier was tension between nations. At this stage, the nations of our world are allied, and the inhabitants intelligent enough to devise such a system. Adoption of a single currency isn't inevitable, but it's certainly possible.

Indeed, but some nations might choose to unite their currencies, too. Ideally, we'd have the option to do either. So hopefully that will be the case, and we'll have the freedom to do as we wish, economy-wise.

YES, I could see that, in a modern society. But I still think that <big>THE LOW TECHNOLOGICAL LEVEL</big> would hinder this CONSIDERABLY, and that most nations would NOT surrender their POWER. The Euro was possible only because it was tied to the EU, AND because it IS actually stronger. But only because it is controlled by the EU. This would NOT be possible in a splintered Europe - and indeed, this has never happened before.

Second, this.... Is just absurd. You CAN'T and WON'T get a single, international currency into place with so low technological levels. No.

Agent Proto
08-10-2004, 07:22 PM
First of all, this will be for use later on when the technoligical era is up to modern. Right now bartering would be the choice of trading in the current timeline. I didn't say we will be using it right away. I didn't think I mentioned anything besides that the official currency will be Eiz. It will be for future use when we're way past the current era of Eizon.

Baloki
08-10-2004, 07:23 PM
I don't care too much as my island is gonna isolate itself from all others so much anyway, but maybe you should say to start off with everyone just uses gold and brands it in their own way and then later when a UN is formed use that as a way to introduce a single currency...

Edit: Yes bartering is something I agree with :D

Agent Proto
08-10-2004, 07:24 PM
And local currencies.

Of course, each nation will have their local currencies, such as coins and such. The universal Eiz will be used in the future.

Nait
08-10-2004, 07:28 PM
Of course, each nation will have their local currencies, such as coins and such. The universal Eiz will be used in the future.

If it will be used. It is more appropriate, and realistic, when we approach the tech levels we have today that international trade is dominated by the currency of the strongest economy - which is the dollar in our world.

Cz
08-10-2004, 07:34 PM
YES, I could see that, in a modern society. But I still think that <big>THE LOW TECHNOLOGICAL LEVEL</big> would hinder this CONSIDERABLY, and that most nations would NOT surrender their POWER.
You'll have to ask the leaders about that. I don't think most regional leaders will mind uniting their currencies, but I may well be wrong. I guess some sort of poll will be needed to sort that out.

The Euro was possible only because it was tied to the EU, AND because it IS actually stronger. But only because it is controlled by the EU. This would NOT be possible in a splintered Europe - and indeed, this has never happened before.
I'm sure that most nations would agree that one fairly stable currency is much easier than 22 competing systems. In fact, that's why the Euro was formed in the first place. I agree that it couldn't have happened in a splintered Europe, but I wouldn't say that our world is 'splintered'. Sure, worldwide trade isn't possible yet, but our nations are all friendly to each other, and would be glad to co-operate financially.

Second, this.... Is just absurd. You CAN'T and WON'T get a single, international currency into place with so low technological levels. No.
You can't state that as an absolute truth. Just because it happened one way on our world doesn't mean it couldn't happen completely differently on Eizon. A single worldwide currency is unlikely, but so is a single worldwide language, and it might be better to abandon points like this for the sake of getting on with the development of Eizon.

EDIT: Read the above posts, and I like bartering, so let's forget this whole thing. :)

Nait
08-10-2004, 07:46 PM
You'll have to ask the leaders about that. I don't think most regional leaders will mind uniting their currencies, but I may well be wrong. I guess some sort of poll will be needed to sort that out.

I'm sure that most nations would agree that one fairly stable currency is much easier than 22 competing systems. In fact, that's why the Euro was formed in the first place. I agree that it couldn't have happened in a splintered Europe, but I wouldn't say that our world is 'splintered'. Sure, worldwide trade isn't possible yet, but our nations are all friendly to each other, and would be glad to co-operate financially.

You can't state that as an absolute truth. Just because it happened one way on our world doesn't mean it couldn't happen completely differently on Eizon. A single worldwide currency is unlikely, but so is a single worldwide language, and it might be better to abandon points like this for the sake of getting on with the development of Eizon.

EDIT: Read the above posts, and I like bartering, so let's forget this whole thing. :)

There are many advantages to independent currencies. And that's that.

<b>AS AN ACT OF DEFIANCE AGAINST THIS HORRIBLE HORRIBLE THREAD</b>, I am posting here my scheme for Zhemean currencies!

<b>The currencies of Zhem</b>

The state of currencies in Zhem is complicated. There are tokens for taxes, called tax coins, verolantti, that can be traded so that one does not need to pay taxes for a certain amount. These tokens were created because of the difficulties food producers and other producers had when trying to pay their taxes on a set date. The farmer or carpenter would rather pay a bit at a time, and would, for example, transport food or furniture to local tax-houses, where they would receive tokens – large copper coins – to later reimburse when paying their taxes on tax-day.
The second currency is more traditional – silver coins, hopealantti. The coins, stamped by the Council's orders to prove their value, is used as a general currency amongst the people, and was not completely dependent on the backing of the state. The worth of the silver fluctuates when more silver is introduced in the archipelago, but has been rather steady for two hundred years. The Council has a stockpile of silver hidden on the island. Gold is not used as a currency.
In addition to silver coins and tax coins there is the state-backed commodity token, item coin, tavararaha. These large copper coins are stamped with an agreement from the state to reimburse the said coin against a certain amount of goods. State-kept warehouses used for trade around the country will trade these coins for raw-materials like iron, other metals, wood, and fine stone, food like wheat, flour or livestock, craft-work, like roof-tiles or nails. Each coin is stamped with certain items, and the state keeps a constant stock of these, as much of a certain coin is in circulation. Coins include One Sack of Flour and One Healthy Cow – a coin of average worth and one of the most valuable coins.

Counterfeiting tax-coins or commodity coins is a criminal offense, and punishable by heavy fines, confiscation of tools and even banishment.