PDA

View Full Version : Improving Spells?

FinalBob42
08-11-2004, 02:30 AM
Once a particular spell has been learned by the character (the three golden stars on a red stripe), can you safely take off the equipment? In other words, is it possible to improve that spell somehow later on or not?

m4tt
08-11-2004, 03:01 AM
Once the spell is fully learned, you can take the equipment off. The spell won't get any better.

Giga Guess
08-11-2004, 05:31 AM
Higher level spells and abilities are learned only through higher level equipment. Basically: ditch the old stuff if there's something more worthwhile.

ShivaBlizzard8
08-11-2004, 10:07 PM
There are only two ways to improve the damage done by spells:

ONE:
Garnet and Eiko's summon spells are stronger if they have learned and equiped the ability "Boost." Boost makes makes the "long version" of the summon animation appear every time, and thus the summons have stronger attacks. Boost can be learned from a Pumice Piece, I believe.

TWO:
If Vivi uses the "Focus" command before casting a spell, his spells will be stronger.

Once a spell is learned, it is not dependant on the item it was learned from. Keeping a peice of equipment on doesn't increase the spell's attack. Any other strengthening of the spell would come from the general buildup of stats, i.e. learning Magic+20% or similar abilities.

Ultima Shadow
08-11-2004, 10:22 PM
There are only two ways to improve the damage done by spells:

ONE:
Garnet and Eiko's summon spells are stronger if they have learned and equiped the ability "Boost." Boost makes makes the "long version" of the summon animation appear every time, and thus the summons have stronger attacks. Boost can be learned from a Pumice Piece, I believe.

TWO:
If Vivi uses the "Focus" command before casting a spell, his spells will be stronger.

Once a spell is learned, it is not dependant on the item it was learned from. Keeping a peice of equipment on doesn't increase the spell's attack. Any other strengthening of the spell would come from the general buildup of stats, i.e. learning Magic+20% or similar abilities.
Actually, there's also an ability called "consentrate" that improves the power of "spells" (not eidolons).
Also, the status "magic" improves the powerfullness of spells.

FinalBob42
08-12-2004, 04:08 AM
That is what Vivi's Focus is about! Is Focus recommended in terms of effectiveness?

ShivaBlizzard8
08-13-2004, 01:03 AM
I never really bothered with it - it does improve the attack, but I never really thought it was worth the wasted turn.

Ultima Shadow
08-13-2004, 01:15 AM
There's some boss that you can put to sleep with the sleep spell (don't remember whitch boss).
Once, I put it to sleep, focused until it woke up and then put it to sleep again and keept going like that until my Fire spell did 9999 dammage. :D Then I finished the boss in 2 turns with the least powerfull attack spell in the game. :cool:

Giga Guess
08-13-2004, 02:50 AM
If I want to blow a turn, yeah. But I don't go out of my way to do it.

Kuja
08-13-2004, 09:56 AM
you can also use auto-reflect on vivi, and then reflect X2.. than you just have to use magic on yourself and the damage is double !