PDA

View Full Version : a pet disease...

Casey
08-11-2004, 04:48 AM
Anybody know what it is. My dog that I've had for 12 yrs now has it, its a japanese chin chin and it's hair around its back near tail and around there, no hair. This old lady that lives down the street said its Maige? or Mage (sp?)... If anybody knows what its called, Id appreciate it. :)

TheAbominatrix
08-11-2004, 04:50 AM
You need to take your dog to the vet.

Kirkpatrick
08-11-2004, 04:59 AM
I would guess she meant 'Mange', but yeah, I'd say a trip to the vet is in order.

Leeza
08-11-2004, 06:47 AM
Your dog could be allergic to flea saliva. It's best to take him to a vet though because we're not vets here.

Rainecloud
08-11-2004, 07:21 AM
Does he/she attempt to chew or bite the tail?

crono_logical
08-11-2004, 09:29 AM
Why would the lady down the street chew or bite her tail? :p

DMKA
08-11-2004, 07:34 PM
Hungry I guess...

No seriously that sounds just like mange(sp?), so yeah take it to the vet already.

Casey
08-12-2004, 12:26 AM
Sarcoptic mange
Sarcoptic mange, also known as scabies, is caused by a microscopic mite. The female mite causes the characteristic intense itching as they burrow under the skin to lay their eggs. The eggs hatch in a few days, develop into adults, and begin laying their own eggs in less than three weeks.

Dogs with scabies dig and bite at themselves with great ferocity. Their skin reacts with oozing sores, and secondary infection may set in, requiring treatment with an antibiotic in addition to treatment for the mites. Unfortunately, the sarcoptic mange mite can be difficult to find in skin scrapings, and unless the veterinarian parts the hair and carefully examines the bare skin for the characteristic pin-point bite marks, diagnosis is difficult. Furthermore, the presence of a secondary skin infection can hamper the search for the mite bite marks.

Telltale signs of sarcoptic mange are crusty ear tips, fierce itching, and hair loss, particularly on the ears, elbows, legs, and face in the early stages. Later on, the hair loss spreads throughout the body.

Sarcoptic mange is contagious to canines and humans. If the dogs share sleeping places or if the infected dog sleeps on beds or furniture, everyone will begin scratching. It is not unheard of for the family dog to infest the kids, the kids to infest their playmates, and the playmates to infest their pets and parents with scabies. Fortunately scabies in humans is self-limiting, that is the mite can burrow under the skin and cause itching, but cannot complete its life cycle on humans and dies within a few weeks.

Veterinarians now use Ivermectin in two doses, two weeks apart, to kill the mites. They may also prescribe steroids for short-term use to relieve the itching until the mites begin to die off and give the dog some relief. Itching usually begins to subside within a few days of the first dose of Ivermectin.

Canine skin damaged by sarcoptic mange and secondary skin infections can take weeks or months to recover, depending on the scope of the problems. Frequent medicated baths may be necessary to soothe irritated skin.

Mange damage can mimic that caused by other skin conditions, including autoimmune diseases, bacterial infections secondary to flea allergies, and contact dermatitis, making it impossible for the pet owner to diagnose with any success. If your dog suffers from irritated, itchy skin, make an appointment with the veterinarian. Early diagnosis of any of these problems will give you a head start on a cure and will be less uncomfortable for the dog and your wallet.

Omg, Im take her to the vet. I might have to take money out of my savings to pay for it though, since Im broke right now. Thanks guys.