PDA

View Full Version : I'm tired of wasting such good ideas...

SomethingBig
08-11-2004, 07:43 PM
I heard about RPG Maker about 2 years ago. I downloaded it and set off to work. Little did I know that it would be too much work for me to handle. Just getting the characters and their battle animations 98% finished took me an entire month. I was so psyched about finally putting my RPG ideas into good use. I, however, got way to lazy and decided to drop my project. I kept trying, later on, new projects, but they were just too time-consuming to actually finish. Now, I keep getting great ideas for RPG's, yet there's no way I could do it... myself. I ask you all, great citizens of EoFF, to aid me. If this is allowed on EoFF, I want to create an RPG for RPG Maker that'll dwarf all other RPG's created by RPG Maker with your support.

Here are the jobs that I need:
5 Pro's of RPG Maker - You have to know what does what and how to do what. You need to know how to create a custom battle system, a custom magic system, and a custom menu. There's no way an RPG would be great with RM2K's default systems.

3 animators - You will create the cut-scenes within the story and also the animations that happen in-game(Ex: Hero is talking to a man, then an explosion randomly happens between them).

2-3 Character Designers - Their jobs are to design the characters and their battle animations. They are to also create the different statuses of the characters. Sample artwork must be shown in order to qualify for this job. They will also be in charge of designing the weaponry.

2 Storyboard directors - I am one of the directors, now I need 2 more to decide who does what, when, how, why, etc. The directors need to explain the characters and their backgrounds fully. If you're thinking about creating a linear story like FFX's, then this is not the job for you. I want to create a story that's mind-boggling, effective, heart pounding, and has plot twists. This won't be a run-of-the-mill go from point A to B story. It will be in depth and all of the characters will have their own unique part in the story. Directors will be in charge of quests(main and side) and the actual script.

I'm pretty sure that's it, for now. So, does anyone care to make this work?

Shoeberto
08-11-2004, 09:47 PM
Not to sound like an ass...but you're basically asking for other people to make the game for you. Coding, art, and music are what makes a video game. If you're going to take this seriously, then you should take the time to do all this. Game development is very hard and time consuming. If you're not willing to put a lot of time and a lot of effort into it, then it's really not worth trying to make a game.

Erdrick Holmes
08-11-2004, 09:53 PM
Hell I need people to make the game for me. I got the storyline all thought out and I can do sprites I just need somebody to do coding and provide music.

BlkKnight
08-11-2004, 10:56 PM
Where do I begin...

First of all, if this is going to be your RPG, you should be doing more than hiding behind the "Story Department" title. If it's that important to you, you should be doing some of the grunt work. Second, how are you going to be able to put any of this together? RM2k(3) isn't very modular, so if multiple people are working on battle animations at the same time, it's not going to be pretty assembling everything. I don't even want to go near the problems of merging common events and maps. Finally, the only custom system that's worth implementing is the menu system. If you want a side-view system, just use RM2k3. That system is more flexible than you may first think. A custom magic system sounds pretty pointless in my eyes unless you have some sort of magic/battle system already in mind. If you're just going to make custom systems without any justification or need of a particular system, you may as well quit now.

In conclusion, unless you can give people a compelling reason to make the RPG (and trying to be the best RM2k game isn't a good one,) your plan will die before it's even born.

SomethingBig
08-11-2004, 11:23 PM
Yeah, I'm a lazy bum. :cry: This whole idea came to me last night, in bed. I told myself that it wouldn't work, this morning, but I didn't really listen.

Lord Chainsaw
08-12-2004, 12:05 AM
Hell yes RPG maker is tough.

I was a pro with the playstation version and I thought I was all that. That was, until the PS2 version came out. Boy did my world come crashing down. I spent days creating one town. I could never figure out how to make the damn enemies actually attack. I couldn't create battle scripts. I couldn't get the party members besides the hero to do actions during battle.

I did have some great ideas though. One idea that I was particularly proud of was the second last level. It was going to be a giant tower. At the base of the tower would be a treasure chest with a sign next to it saying "Taking this chest will cause much sadness." The chest would have a particularly awesome sword in it. At the top of the tower would be the second last boss. After beating him, if you took the treasure chest then a message would pop up saying "You took the chest, so now it's time to get sad." The game would then crash.

I'm a real oddity when it comes to making my RPGs. I'll intentionally force a crash for the stupidest reasons. For instance, in my PSX RPG the game would crash if you talked back to the King.

I also like to add incredibly difficult enemies called "mofos" throughout the game. These enemies have a percent chance to pop up anywhere there are random encounters in the game. They are invincible, and fighting one means game over.

Fun times, but I don't see any of that happening on anything later than the PSX version. I need a whole lot more practice before I can work anything else.

BlkKnight
08-12-2004, 12:20 AM
Heh, the previous RPG that I made, Secondary Fantasy (see sig,) had three of those invincible enemies. One was just a generic invincible enemy, another only attacks when you botch something in one of the areas of the game, and the third would be encountered either alone, a group of 10, or with another enemy that would eat the invincible one after a turn (all at a low encounter rate for that enemy of course.) Fun times.

Shoeberto
08-12-2004, 12:40 AM
Something else that should be mentioned - custom battles, magic systems, and menus in RM2k don't work. It's not difficult to design tech demos around each specific aspect, but to do all of them and have a game on top would make it easier just to go through actual programming, like C++ or DarkBASIC.

But...yeah. If you have a good idea for a story, just write it and put it on the internet. Less hassle if you don't have the ambition to put it in game form.

Psychotic
08-12-2004, 01:05 AM
I'm making the BAoTW game all by myself and it's awesomecool. So uh... no I can't work with you but I'm just saying it's OK to do it solo.

ChaosCalibur
08-12-2004, 05:16 AM
What kind of animators are you looking for? Are you making cutscenes using ingame sprites? I could do CG (Not FF quality but pretty decent) in .AVI and other formats :confused:

Mo-Nercy
08-12-2004, 10:27 AM
I was also really into RPG Maker for about a month. I didn't get anything done and it was basically an intro scene after all that time, it was sweet and all but I'm not gonna spend forever making something that I don't get paid for :D.

I turned to writing after that. I don't even do that anymore. Everything seems to take ages.

SomethingBig
08-12-2004, 06:20 PM
I write, too, and I almost always get some great remarks from the teachers. I wanted to take it a step further because, bleh, interactive story = better than just a read-along story. I was actually thinking about putting up a "horror" story in the literature section of the forum, just to test my limits. Dunno if I'll still do it, though.

Lord Chainsaw
08-13-2004, 02:21 AM
I also like to write. I've been going on a story that I've been writing for about a year and a half now. I must say that it is pretty complex, but it could still use a lot of work. My work centers around creation mostly, because that is what I'm most fascinated with. It's really hard to come up with a main character that hasn't been done to death, especially in a fantasy setting.

I'm also working on horror story set in Purgatory about a schizophrenic inventor, but that is going to be my life's work. It's not likely something I'll get done in the next 5, 10, or even 20 years. I myself like horror, although I haven't read much of it besides maybe a bit of Poe.

In eighth grade we had to write a horror story for halloween centering around a pumpkin. I didn't have much to work with but I did pull out a rather interesting tale about an alcoholic killing shoving his father into a kiln and using his burnt skin to decorate a jack-o-lantern in a curiosity shop. Damn, is that even possible? Sure it sounds like something out of Tales from the Crypt, but considering it was eighth grade, and a two day project I thought I did pretty good for myself.

SpikingZero
08-13-2004, 02:48 AM
Yes, game development is most certainly not a one-person job. I haven't touched the game I've been working on for literally ages. I've had a few cool ideas, but I can't seem to get enough energy or patience to put everything together.

I could probably whip together some pieces for you if you're looking for an original score. I can't promise anything spectacular, though, but I can try.

Meat Puppet
08-13-2004, 02:55 AM
It's been done. At another forum, a bunch of us got together to make the game. We had several gfx designers, to music designers, a movie designer, story designer who was also the coder. The result was awesome, however it was a short demo and it could only be a demo, because by the time they'd finished the demo had used up all the powers of rpg maker. Every switch, variable, item etc had been used, and the size was gianormous.

But the demo was good enough, it had many features, my favourite was the "Prince of Persia" like level.

The moral of the story is, if you're making a basic rpg, do it on your own.

Rase
08-13-2004, 08:02 AM
I would help you, but I am currently working on my third RPG using RPGMAker 2003. Unfortunatly, I didn't finish the first two, I lost them in computer crashes. But yeah, doing it yourself is okay, and I find it fun since I'm the boss and I only have to motivate myself to work. Just be sure to go all the way with this idea.