PDA

View Full Version : Came across an interesting Square game...

Erased
08-12-2004, 02:59 AM
I came across an interesting Square game... not quite sure what the name is, but its a FIGHTING game, of all things. Can you guys beleive that? It had Cloud, Yuffie(I think...) Sephiroth, Tifa, and other various characters I had never heard of. And the second to last guy was a grey Red XIII looking thing. Have any of you played this? Its -not- the greatest game... Worth playing for a few minutes though. Yet there's nothing like seeing Sephiroth kill Cloud instead of vice-versa :cool: Oh yeah.

TheAbominatrix
08-12-2004, 03:18 AM
It's Ergeiz.

It's an okay game. They had the arcade version when I was staying at Buffalo Bill's in Nevada, and I beat it with Tifa. It's neat to play FF characters in different ways.

Lord Chainsaw
08-12-2004, 05:58 AM
I didn't like it all that much. It was fun using the FF7 characters though. Maybe some day in the future if I see a copy of it I might pick it up just for old time's sake, and because I'm a huge Final Fantasy VII fan.

What was up with that fight during the credits anyways?

Nemesis the Warlock
08-12-2004, 02:23 PM
It's Ergeiz. Actually, it's "Ehrgeiz", which is German for "ambition".

I didn't like it that much, because I thought it was just a cash-in on FFVII, like Advent Children. But fans of fighting games seem to like it, so it must be well done in that regard.

TheAbominatrix
08-12-2004, 08:24 PM
I left out the h. It's a typo. I didnt know the German stuff though.

DJZen
08-13-2004, 04:53 AM
As a fan of fighting games, I thought it wasn't well done at all. The combat was clumsy and incredibly slow paced. In fact, that's pretty much all I can remember about the game.

It really depressed me a lot because Square has made other fighting games which are MUCH better. Tobal No. 1 is one of the best fighters ever made, period. It's easy to pick up and play, the combat is intuitive, and the gameplay has a lot more depth that it may at first seem. Bushido Blade I thought was kinda gimmicky since you had one hit kills going on which lead to anti-climatic fights, but again, it was solidly done. Ehrgeiz is a horrible abortion of gaming that should not have come to pass.

BTW, the FFVII characters were not originally part of the game. They were tacked on for the fans, so quit whining about how it's an attempt to cash in.

Erased
08-13-2004, 03:34 PM
FF7 characters still make it fun. Found out that you can have Vincent and Zack unlocked somehow - that's pretty cool. I think Square needs to make a SSB-type game, that'd be cool.

DJZen
08-15-2004, 01:54 AM
It'd only be good if they threw in tons of obscure characters from Square and Enix's histories, like Jumpin' Jack and Barusa, or the dude from Soul Blazer who didn't actually have a name. They'd probably mess it up by putting in too many menus though.

Erased
08-15-2004, 05:25 PM
And how many obscure characters did Nintendo throw in to SSBM? I can only think of 2 right off - Mr. Game and Watch and the Ice climbers... or whatever they're called. ("Or "Omally" or whatever he's calling himself this week..." -Red vs. blue)

DJZen
08-16-2004, 02:38 AM
Believe it or not, most people have no idea what game Ness is from, and when SSBM came out, Marth and Roy were not only not in any games that had been released in America, their game SERIES hadn't even been released in America yet. There was also some slight confusion about the appearance of Dr. Mario, but for the most part, people knew who he was.

LH
08-19-2004, 07:58 PM
Ehrgeiz is pure novelty. It's cool for about an hour just messing around with FF7 characters in that situation but after the novelty wears off it's just a mediocre fighter. I'm surprised no one mentioned the dungeon section of the game, which is notably more enjoyable than the fighting. You play as either a male or female explorer-type person fighting your way through dungeons and you get to use weapons and Materia from FF7. Fun. The only thing I didn't like about it was the save system, which took money from you every time you saved. :rolleyes2