PDA

View Full Version : Velius battle

Dearest Tragedy
08-12-2004, 08:11 PM
I'm playing Tactics for the first time and so far I haven't had much trouble with the battles, but now I'm stuck because I absolutely cannot beat Velius. I can get through the battle with Wiegraf quite easily, but once the battle with Velius starts my entire party is wiped out in one or two rounds. I don't think I've ever felt this frustrated in a FF game.

Help, please?

AaronD
08-13-2004, 04:30 AM
During the battle with wiegraf just run around using accumulate just out of his range then hit him, once u have the fight velius the effects are still there from the fight with wiegraf

or if that doesnt work...restart the game and level up before this fight...lol

Azure Chrysanthemum
08-13-2004, 08:45 AM
When your party comes in, SPREAD OUT!

That way his Cyclops will only kill one of them. Him killing them with that spell is pretty much unavoidable by the way. Have lots of Raise or Phoenix Downs handy.

Mr. Rothgar
08-13-2004, 03:43 PM
get the "two swords" tech for everyone--make them knights with teleport and u can kill every bad guy in one turn

Azure Chrysanthemum
08-13-2004, 08:18 PM
Unless teleport fails in which case you're screwed. Not to mention if your speed isn't high enough Velius will wipe everyone out beforehand.

Giga Guess
08-14-2004, 01:06 AM
Spread out, and choose the party with the lowest Faith you can. As an added bonus, have the person with the lowest faith of all (Or a happy medium, anyways) be a summoner, so Cyclops can be learned. You can learn it anyways, but it makes it a little easier. A singer'd help, but not necessary.

Tatics Master
08-14-2004, 03:02 PM
This is one of the 3 hardest battles in the game. It still gives me trouble....lol.

I hope you saved a extra block because you need to have the fighters your using a level 40 or better to have a better chance of surviving.
They should know X-potion also and if you can dump all potions and hi-potions stock up on X-potions and put on the auto potion reaction for everyone. That way you won't be wasting a turn healing all the time.

The best classes for this battle should be
Ramza as a Squire or a Summoner(not the best one) or any class with a sword.

Arigas.....here range attacks and high HP are a must for this Battle.

A Lancer....Your main attact should be jumping...If Veluis or the demons cast a spell JUMP! Even if you can't hit anyone. If hes not on the ground he can't be hit or targeted.

the 4 member should be a Monk who has Chakara or a Ninja who is speedy and has armor equip on for more HP or a Wizard or a Summoner for MAGIC. Just make sure to keep them alive.

And like everyone is saying spread out and if you can take out at least one demon and have soft on hand to...Velius can turn your fighters to stone.

GOOD LUCK!

Stimpy141
09-11-2004, 02:40 AM
If i remember, he is VERY weak to "Demi" spells, making a Time Mage quite useful in this fight. I remember at the time i had Ramza as a Monk, and i quickly defeated Velius. I loved Monks in that game, I made Ramza a monk until around the end of the game when I tried out Ninja, which was also very powerful.

The Amazing Spiderman
09-29-2004, 02:16 AM
there are many options, actually...If I'm in time:

- The Ramza-go-yelling-around. You use yell and accumulate until you've got a speed of 30 or above, and a PA above 15. Have Auto potion, sell all of your potions and Hi potions, and have only X-potions, for full healing. After killing wiegraf, Velius is just a piece of cake.

- The Double Lich. Just cast with two summoners two times Lich on him. Both of them should have short charge, and 70+ faith. Your other three units must move to the front and be the Ultima demon's bait. If not, cast it once, and try and beat him up before he casts Cyclops.

-The Lancer-go lucky. Made all of your units lancers, and just jump away, doesn't matter if his CT is above 50. The point is trying to hit and avoid all magic attacks as possible with jump.

I have done all of them, and all work in their Scenarios.

mike without a hat
12-08-2004, 01:41 AM
What all I did was have a ninja who had the ability Equip Sword and make Ramza (Monk) and I beat up Velius pretty easy, only two of my people fainted. I also used a chemist who could summon and a time mage with white magic and a oracle with black magic. I made Ramza beat up Velius's allies.(They died in one hit) After they were defeated Velius was pure cakewalk.

feioncastor
12-08-2004, 05:56 AM
I think the best way is to have Ramza Yell and Accumulate until he gets like 7 turns in a row, then you can work Wiegraf and then Velius with no trouble.

But the first time I did it, I could not beat Wiegraf, so I had to find some way to do it, and I did it with Ramza as a chemist, so he could shoot Wiegraf from across the room without Wiegraf attacking him. It took a while.

Feion

guardbreak
12-09-2004, 11:15 PM
Velius has like a 1000 HP. Heck, let him close in and try to hit one of your allies with Cyclops, then while he's charging have all your units do this all out KAMAKAZIE attack...slashes, shots, blasts, whatever's in your arsenal! Those who survive Cyclops and the Ultima Demon's should unleash another suicide attack with their next round of turns. Hopefully you'll deal at least a 1000 points of damage to kill Velius and end the battle.

BTW, whoever is the last man/woman standing after this battle is like your coolest butt-kicking ain't taking no crap hot shot! Worship him/her...must get first dibbs at every shop baby!

UltimaLimit
12-10-2004, 04:03 AM
In the battle with Wiegraf, Yell and Accumulate yourself to kick-ass-ness, but be careful where you move. Aside from the obvious (avoid Lightning Stab!) be advised that he can also hit you with Earth Slash sometimes, so be careful with your lines. I recommend Geomancer with Guts for this fight: good HP ensures it'll take 2 Stabs to kill you instead of just one, and if Wiegraf gets too close for your liking, pop him with Geomancy from afar if you get an extra turn and move away. DON'T make Ramza a Lancer, since Jump will be useless against Wiegraf, and you have to beat him before Velius comes in. Geomancy helps wear him down so you can quickly kill him when you stop building your stats and attack. Oh, and be sure to have Two Swords.

As for the other units, I recommend Lancers with Punch Art (Revive and Chakra will be very important, just don't isolate your characters on peaks cuz of the 0 vertical). Do the Lancer-go-up Lancer-go-down thing as mentioned. Hope Velius doesn't kill you anything because Wiegraf makes you sit through an annoying dialogue before you kill him.

Seph Lonehart
12-14-2004, 06:38 PM
I'm playing Tactics for the first time and so far I haven't had much trouble with the battles, but now I'm stuck because I absolutely cannot beat Velius. I can get through the battle with Wiegraf quite easily, but once the battle with Velius starts my entire party is wiped out in one or two rounds. I don't think I've ever felt this frustrated in a FF game.

Help, please?
=/ by then Ramza is a master ninja and monk... I usually turn him into a monk with two swords. get behind him and punch him out
(if you simply cant and don't mind a new data use a sign effective against aries for use against him) I'm usually able to kill him in one turn from ramza and spell like holy

sushi-x
12-16-2004, 04:15 PM
Yeah, Velius is a bastard I recomend using the yell/accumulate stratagy during the Wiegraf portion of the battle, if you can go to one side where the only way he can attack is using Earth Slash. Then just run back and forth using both yell and accumulate, when the battle breaks out, you'll be so freaking fast and strong you'll be able to punch his ugly face to custard before he even get's the chance to attack.

UltimaLimit
12-17-2004, 01:38 AM
If you can get Earth Clothes by that point (can't remember if you can), you might consider equipping them...

Jukri
12-17-2004, 03:41 AM
i'm new and I'm on this particular battle. (Coincidence, EH??) The thing is, I acidentilly saved right at the battle. So I always start at the customuzation screen. My Razma is a Lv8 Lancer(Mastered)with guts, An Archer with battle skill and conncentrate. A Lv5 Knight with all the Geomancer magic, and AttackUP. A Lv8 wizard with MagicUp. And a Priest with a GUN!lol Can anyone help me with my current sittuation???

Despotus
12-17-2004, 05:24 AM
If you are able to make your other fighters into lancers or monks with earth clothes, I would suggest it. They should spread out so as to avoid Velius' attacks, and the Lancers should jump out of harm's way whenever they move. Have your priest stay out of the way and shoot at Velius when possible, but she'll probably spend most of her time raising the fallen. Don't get her killed, probably a good idea to cast reraise on her a.s.a.p. Holy works very well on the Demons. Your Wizard should also come in with White Magic or Item, you'll need the extra healing. If any Magic users have ShortCharge, equip it; you can't spend too much time charging spells. Keeping your troops spread out is the most important thing. Hopefully you won't suffer more than one casualty at a time. If I could make a suggestion, never have only one save game file...I hope you have another, older saved game in case you try 20 times to no avail. Others will have other suggestions for you to try. Good luck!!!

UltimaLimit
12-17-2004, 10:09 PM
If all else fails, have Ramza max his speed (to 50), then boost his attack sky-high with Accumulate. (As opposed to stopping when those stats are around 30 like I do.) Remember: Ramza will not heal between battles. Patience is the key. (Oh, and all the Yelling and Accumulating should earn Ramza several levels, so that'll help too.) Read through the thread again for hints if necessary. As for me, I've said plenty. :yap:

Jukri
12-19-2004, 10:58 PM
Well this sucks :mad2: I had to start over. The only time I even came close to beating Velius, was when I used Magic Break right before he was about to cast cyclops. He didn't have enough mp to cast it. But by then, all of my units were dead besides the knight. This time its going to be different :evilking: I'm gona get all of my party to lv40, then have five black mages with armor equip all use flare. If he survives five flares at once,.......I'm breaking my controler :mad2: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Despotus
12-20-2004, 02:52 AM
This time its going to be different I'm gona get all of my party to lv40, then have five black mages with armor equip all use flare. If he survives five flares at once,.......I'm breaking my controler
:laugh: Ha ha, YES! Good luck with him the second time around. Most of us have had to reset for this battle :beer: Just remember, this time: Keep at least one extra save game...It saves a lot of time. And I might suggest 5 priests (with Short Charge) instead, he definitely won't survive 5 Holies! :evilking:

mike without a hat
12-20-2004, 04:29 PM
Well this sucks :mad2: I had to start over. The only time I even came close to beating Velius, was when I used Magic Break right before he was about to cast cyclops. He didn't have enough mp to cast it. But by then, all of my units were dead besides the knight. This time its going to be different :evilking: I'm gona get all of my party to lv40, then have five black mages with armor equip all use flare. If he survives five flares at once,.......I'm breaking my controler :mad2: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Thats why you need to keep 2 saves so you dont get into a mess like that :) , like me

BG-57
12-22-2004, 02:13 AM
If all else fails, have Ramza max his speed (to 50), then boost his attack sky-high with Accumulate. (As opposed to stopping when those stats are around 30 like I do.) Remember: Ramza will not heal between battles. Patience is the key. (Oh, and all the Yelling and Accumulating should earn Ramza several levels, so that'll help too.) Read through the thread again for hints if necessary. As for me, I've said plenty. :yap:

I tried this strategy recently. Of course I had to maximize Ramza's speed to 50 and his attack power to 99. He killed Weisgraf in one hit then killed Velius in one hit. Nobody else even got a chance to move. :eek:

Cool. :D

guardbreak
12-22-2004, 03:15 AM
I tried this strategy recently. Of course I had to maximize Ramza's speed to 50 and his attack power to 99. He killed Weisgraf in one hit then killed Velius in one hit. Nobody else even got a chance to move. :eek:

Cool. :D

Ramzaminator!

HunterFlamebrow
05-09-2005, 10:53 PM
It's funny . . . for me, this battle was easy once I tried the Yell/Accumulate strategy (Ramza also had Teleport, so evading Wiegraf's attacks was easy) -- I think I killed Velius in 2 hits. However, the battle after this one was the one that made me give up the game. For those who don't remember, it's a "save [x]" battle, one that was set up so that ALL the bad guys acted before me, making it impossible to win (they would kill my charge before I could do anything). Now on my replay, I'm coming up on this battle, and I'm hoping to do much better . . . or at least save outside the castle this time. :)

dajdawg
05-10-2005, 08:38 AM
killing velius is quite easy actually if you take the time.

first thing i did was make a mediator with high faith so his preach command would work good, mastered him, then focused preach on my other chars

i know this makes for bad news when velius attacks, but it's also bad news for him when you have a very high faith wizard with maxed calculator skills :P target his height, and if he's not in a strike zone wait a round,... let ur black calc do the damage

meanwhile razman is a monk yelling and accumulating his arse off

if the calculator don't kill him the now hasted razma should :P

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-10-2005, 04:41 PM
The downside to high Faith is that Velius's Cyclops spell simply murders you.

eestlinc
05-13-2005, 04:21 AM
Just spread out and have a party with lots of powerful ranged attacks. Don't bother with the other monsters and just do a lot of damage to Velius as quickly as possible. He should go down in one full turn and only be able to cast Cyclops once. Ramza as a lancer works well for both parts of the fight.

Zechs
05-17-2005, 05:05 AM
I used the Two swords ability with a mastered monk.
Using accumulate, you will do lots of damage quickly.