PDA

View Full Version : Squall/laguna[maybe a spoiler thread]

mike without a hat
08-13-2004, 03:22 AM
Ok, i played and beat this game and after that i never really played it again except to help out a couple friends who also had the game and were stuck. This was a long time ago when the game first came out(at least to me it was). Yesterday i was browsing the forums and i came across a post that said laguna is squalls father. Now, i dont remember quite a few of the things that happened in FFVIII but i am pretty sure i hadn't come across a part in the story that revealed that they were father/son. I knew they had some kind of relationship or else laguna's whole story probably wouldn't exist. I may have missed this or maybe just forgot about it happening, but i honestly don't remember this going on.
So can anyone fill me in on what happened here? Preferrably with alot of detail.

GhandiOwnsYou
08-13-2004, 03:44 AM
alrighty. If you match things up...

Raine LEONHART had a child that she died giving brith to. Leonhart...leonhart...Squalls Raines Kid. this is backed up by him calling Ellone Sis all the time, she really is his adopted sister. Raine died, the villagers sent her kid to the orphanage. what happened before that, was that Laguna Proposed to her, knocked her up, then Ellone was kidnapped. This accounts for why he and Ellone weren't there when RAine died. Raine had no biological children before Laguna showed up and married her, so the only way squall could carry his mothers name was for him to be the one laguna put in her. all caught up now?

mike without a hat
08-13-2004, 03:59 AM
Thanks, i guess i never really paid attention to their last names. The only one i knew was squalls. I knew about the ellone part but didn't put it together that squall was Raines kid.

Sir Bahamut
08-13-2004, 10:19 AM
More support for Laguna being Squalls father:

1) Laguna = Lagoon. Raine = Rain. Squall = Brief windstorm, usually with snow or rain.

All these names are connected, they are all to do with water. Do Square strike you as people who give their characters random names? Do Square strike you as people who don't care about the subtle parts of the plot?

2) Ellone and Laguna had a child together. That child was sent to the orphanage along with Ellone.
The children in the orphanage at that time were as we all know, Squall, Seifer, Ellone, Quistis, Zell, Irvine and Selphie.

Ellone is the halfsister to that newborn child, and spends a significant part of her life trying to get Laguna back to Raine and this child.

Coincidentally, who is the one person in the orphanage who Ellone is closely attached to?
Squall.
Coincidentally, what does Squall call Ellone? "Sis" as in "sister".

Also notice how none of the other children are paid attention to at all when it comes to this plot question, and seeing as how it is a very relevant part of the game, you'd think Square didn't just decide to drop it completely.

3) In the Ragnarok, Laguna tellls Squall that "Ellone has told me everything" and "We'll talk when this is all over".

Since Ellone had just stopped her quest to get Laguna to see his newborn child, one would expect her to tell all about the child to Laguna, and it seems rather farfetched that she refused to give him the true identity.

This would also have been basically the most important thing Ellone would tell Laguna, so it seems plausible that he is going to talk to Squall on the same issue.

Starting to see the point?

4) Talk to Kiros and Ward in the Ragnarok, and Ward will say "Good thing you don't look like your father" in a joking manner,
Kiros says "you look more like your mother".

Kiros and Ward know the parents, and the father well enough to make fun of him jokingly.
Who fits into this description then? Oh right, Kiros and Ward only knew one such person; Laguna.

5) The tutorial tells us that Moombas recognize people by licking their blood.

In jail, a Moomba calls Squall "Laguna" many times. This means Squalls blood was so similar to Lagunas that it fooled the Moomba.

That kind of scene isn't just put in there for randomness, nor to prove that Moombas are mentally unstable.

Big D
08-13-2004, 12:33 PM
Yep, it's widely accepted as fact that Laguna is Squall's father; it helps to tie the story together, that Squall's father met Rinoa's mother.

ShivaBlizzard8
08-13-2004, 08:32 PM
Yeah - the whole signifigance of the love story between Rinoa and Squall is that their parents (Laguna - Squall's father and Julia, Rinoa's mother) wanted to be together but circumstance kept them apart. The romance that they couldn't have was relived through their children.

All other linage facts are posted here in the FAQ: http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=36341

TheAbominatrix
08-13-2004, 11:46 PM
Ellone is not Raine's child. Ellone was orphaned, and Raine adopted her. This is proven by the fact that Laguna speaks to a picture of Ellone's parents, saying "Ellone's mom and dad, Ellone has been a very good girl today.", and the fact that Ellone calls Raine by her first name, and not 'mom'. Squall calls her sis because she's very much like a sister to him, that's all. No blood relation.

TasteyPies
08-14-2004, 12:01 AM
http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=48531&highlight=Laguna+squall+father

http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=36317&highlight=Laguna+squall+father

http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=39233&highlight=Laguna+squall+father

http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=33878&highlight=Laguna+squall+father

http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=32841&highlight=Laguna+squall+father

Search is an awesome feature.

BackRoomKid
09-22-2004, 06:02 AM
Hey, may be a dumb question...but WHEN does it say Raine's last name is LEONHART??? It is truly my favorite FF game and have played thru it many many times. I've read all your posts and all of them make TOTAL sense(good job people...lol) But I'd just like to know WHERE AND WHEN Raine's last name is LEONHART. At the end I know it says Raine's last name is LOIRE cuz Lugana's engagement. Well....thanx!

By the way, I'm new...this site is awesome!

ShivaBlizzard8
09-23-2004, 02:29 AM
I don't believe that it actually says in the game that Raine's last name is Leonheart; that's just conjecture to explain why Squall's last name isn't Loire. Fans like to think that the people of Winhill gave Squall Raine's maiden name when turning him over to the orphanage because they didn't think much of Laguna but loved Raine. This isn't known fact, however. Since Raine died giving birth to Squall, he could have been named anything. The real answer, of course, is that if Squall's last name was Loire, that would really spoil the plot, now wouldn't it?

UltimateSpamGrover
09-23-2004, 04:44 AM
Squall Loire does NOT sound right. Squall Leonheart is much better.

BackRoomKid
09-23-2004, 06:47 AM
ahhhhhhh

UltimateSpamGrover
09-23-2004, 11:07 PM
ahhhhhhh

I'm scared of you too.

and Welcome to EoFF.

arcdragon9
09-24-2004, 12:20 AM
I always thought Lugana used the time compression after the death of Adell to go back so he could propose to Raine, due to unfinushed business I remeber him jabbering about. I could have it wrong but whatever.

TheAbominatrix
09-24-2004, 12:25 AM
I always thought Lugana used the time compression after the death of Adell to go back so he could propose to Raine, due to unfinushed business I remeber him jabbering about. I could have it wrong but whatever.

He proposed to her and conceived Squall before he left, it had nothing to do with time compression. The scene at the end is him visiting her grave and remembering his proposal.

Jolts
09-24-2004, 02:08 AM
4) Talk to Kiros and Ward in the Ragnarok, and Ward will say "Good thing you don't look like your father" in a joking manner,
Kiros says "you look more like your mother".
Did I miss something? I though Ward lost his voice...?

Ouch!
09-24-2004, 02:47 AM
Ward doesn't say that. Kiros looks at Ward who looks at Squall and says, "Ward says good thing you don't look like your father."

Del Murder
09-25-2004, 05:19 PM
Kiros can tell what Ward is thinking because they've been friends for so many years. He doesn't actually say it.

Anaisa
10-03-2004, 10:35 AM
Well we all know Laguna is supposed to be Squalls dad. But Laguna is 27 and Squall is 17. So that would mean he was ten years old when he had a baby with Raine :eek:

Mo-Nercy
10-03-2004, 11:20 AM
He spent quite some time in Winhill before Ellone got abducted by Estharian soldiers. He, quite obviously, was no longer 27 when Squall was conceived. I also believe that Laguna says at some point that he had been in office for 17 years but I might be wrong about that.

Anaisa
10-03-2004, 12:04 PM
Still seems a little silly that they've put down 27 for lagunas age if thats just his age in the flashbacks. Because we see Squall in flashbacks but his age in his profile isn't five or whatever.

Mo-Nercy
10-03-2004, 01:49 PM
I think it would be a major spoiler early in the game if the manual said Laguna was a 50 something year old President of Esthar instead of a 27 year old Galbadian Soldier turned journalist. The player isn't supposed to know that Laguna is from the past until the White SeeD ship shows up to take Ellone away (although, if you pay attention to Timber's town history, you can speculate about it as early as the first dream) Not to mention the Laguna's character is majorly featured in the flashbacks while Squall's obviously is not.

Anaisa
10-03-2004, 02:25 PM
They should of just put unknown for his age like they did with Edea. And also they've put Cids age as 40! He's supposed to be 40! More like 60.

Jolts
10-03-2004, 02:42 PM
Cid was under a lot of stress, hence the old look...?

PuFi
10-03-2004, 05:53 PM
hi ppl

i nevr knew! so did squall know that? because they didnt seem to act family like :confused: undefined

Cloudane
10-03-2004, 10:13 PM
I don't think either of them knew. As far as I remember, Squall was handed over to the orphanage and Laguna wasn't told (knowing those snobby Winhill residents, they probably deliberately kept quiet about his son just to spite him.) Squall didn't know even know who his mother was, as he was too young to remember, and he never met Laguna until the Dream World. Laguna might've known after "Ellone told him everything" but probably didn't want to distract Squall with such a sensitive issue until the mission was over (he might've flipped out)

Also I don't remember any evidence in the game (though there might've been) that Laguna had a chance to actually marry Raine before she died, only that he proposed. That could be another explanation for Squall's surname.

PuFi
10-07-2004, 05:07 PM
i see..thanx!

Halenite
10-07-2004, 05:47 PM
One problems with one of the earlier theories.

Squall wasn't the only one who called Ellone "Sis"

The other orphans called her that also.

Blue Typhoon
10-08-2004, 03:24 AM
I think Laguna would have said something when he met Squall in Esthar...Square wouldn't have him just stand there and act like he wasn't Squall's dad.

TheAbominatrix
10-08-2004, 03:42 AM
Laguna does try to say something, on the space station. And they have their whole lives to get it all figured out, there's no sense in rushing it while the world is in danger.

Cloudane
10-08-2004, 04:15 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot all about the space station bit. You don't realise it's him first time round (he's in a space suit, and is only known as 'the president') but he starts to tell you there and then gets interrupted. I think. Will get to that bit soon enough...