PDA

View Full Version : Would this interest you?

Azure Chrysanthemum
08-14-2004, 01:12 AM
I'm merely going to pitch some ideas for a game I have in development right now. Don't try to steal them, copyright blah blah blah. Anyways,

Would you play a game that is online and centralized around building your own empire?

Assuming the AI was advanced enough to allow you to customize your own scripts for just about every aspect of how your kingdom is run, would you be willing to play a game that keeps your kingdom running even when you are not running it?

About how many premade AI scripts do you think you would need if you chose not to make your own? This is assuming of course that the script customization is rendered into an easy-to-understand pattern that has descriptions of different elements that you combine to determine behaviors.

Does the notion of being able to customize the online world through the use of magic and other powers in order to do things such as raise continents, sink continents, and create floating continents, as well as alter the topography, i.e. forest to swamp, desert to mountains, etc. appeal to you?

Would a fluctuating economy made up of several currencies to choose from and having said currencies go up and down in value based on the overall economic strength of all players using them appeal to you?

Would the ability to customize your troops based on the different technologies available to you appeal to you, so long as there were also defaults that fit with your culture?

Would you be frustrated by the ability to learn or steal foreign technology knowing that you cannot advance beyond a certain point, techology-wise (around medieval period)?

Would you be willing to form alliances with other players as well as do war with them?

Does a real-time strategy combat system that also allows you to take third or first-person control of your own personal character appeal to you?

How many races and cultures would you want to be able to choose from?

How many options for face, skin texture, hair, etc. would you want for your primary character's customization?

Would you want some sort of moderation so that stronger cultures cannot pick on weaker cultures, or would you prefer a program that makes you unable to attack newer players for a given time period?

Would you prefer to choose between Patriarchal and Matriarchal societies, where either men or women fight exclusively, or would you prefer to make it a nonissue and have both male and female troops fighting together in the same units?

Overall, would you play this game?

If I can think of more I'll ask them. Anyways, if you have the time feel free to answer a few. This game is in early development and probably won't be completed for awhile, but your imput will probably help it be finished faster. My thanks.

edczxcvbnm
08-14-2004, 01:34 AM
I'm merely going to pitch some ideas for a game I have in development right now. Don't try to steal them, copyright blah blah blah. Anyways,

1)Would you play a game that is online and centralized around building your own empire?

2)Assuming the AI was advanced enough to allow you to customize your own scripts for just about every aspect of how your kingdom is run, would you be willing to play a game that keeps your kingdom running even when you are not running it?

3)About how many premade AI scripts do you think you would need if you chose not to make your own? This is assuming of course that the script customization is rendered into an easy-to-understand pattern that has descriptions of different elements that you combine to determine behaviors.

4)Does the notion of being able to customize the online world through the use of magic and other powers in order to do things such as raise continents, sink continents, and create floating continents, as well as alter the topography, i.e. forest to swamp, desert to mountains, etc. appeal to you?

5)Would a fluctuating economy made up of several currencies to choose from and having said currencies go up and down in value based on the overall economic strength of all players using them appeal to you?

6)Would the ability to customize your troops based on the different technologies available to you appeal to you, so long as there were also defaults that fit with your culture?

7)Would you be frustrated by the ability to learn or steal foreign technology knowing that you cannot advance beyond a certain point, techology-wise (around medieval period)?

8)Would you be willing to form alliances with other players as well as do war with them?

9)Does a real-time strategy combat system that also allows you to take third or first-person control of your own personal character appeal to you?

10)How many races and cultures would you want to be able to choose from?

11)How many options for face, skin texture, hair, etc. would you want for your primary character's customization?

12)Would you want some sort of moderation so that stronger cultures cannot pick on weaker cultures, or would you prefer a program that makes you unable to attack newer players for a given time period?

1)No. Online is not my thing.

2)Yes

3)The Hell if I know.

4)It does except for the online part.

5)Very Much so.

6)So pretty rock tastic.

7)Yes and No. I want to advance beyond what we have now.

8)I would wage war and double cross my alliances.

9)Why would I(the ruler of all) want to be on the battle field in what seems to be a simulation game so far?

10)How many can you provide?

11)Until now I never thought there would be any characters in the game but mear pawns.

12) Sounds good

Until the last few questions this sounded like Civilzatoin 4.

Azure Chrysanthemum
08-14-2004, 09:04 AM
All right, I'll try to clarify some things here.

Depending on how advanced we make the game, there should be several hundred features available not only for your own personal character but for the other troops as well, they just wouldn't be seen unless you switch from regular real-time strategy mode to First or Third person mode.

There aren't really any characters, per se, but you would have generals and your own, personal avatar. Your troops would probably get randomized combinations of features. The game will probably take a great deal of memory of course, but it won't be completed for a few years yet.

So far as style, this is something of a combination of several games, such as Civilization, Warcraft, Shogun: Total War, and Everquest, just to give some examples, style-wise. It is it's own game though, those are just some games that certain aspects of the style could be compared to.

Mo-Nercy
08-14-2004, 11:12 AM
Would you play a game that is online and centralized around building your own empire?
I'd consider it. Depends on how much of my time I'd be spending playing it.

Assuming the AI was advanced enough to allow you to customize your own scripts for just about every aspect of how your kingdom is run, would you be willing to play a game that keeps your kingdom running even when you are not running it?
Sounds like it would make the game stupidly simple. So, "Yes, for a while, before I get bored"

About how many premade AI scripts do you think you would need if you chose not to make your own? This is assuming of course that the script customization is rendered into an easy-to-understand pattern that has descriptions of different elements that you combine to determine behaviors.
Pi....I got no clue, dude.

Does the notion of being able to customize the online world through the use of magic and other powers in order to do things such as raise continents, sink continents, and create floating continents, as well as alter the topography, i.e. forest to swamp, desert to mountains, etc. appeal to you?
It is appealing. Mainly because it's a unique idea.

Would a fluctuating economy made up of several currencies to choose from and having said currencies go up and down in value based on the overall economic strength of all players using them appeal to you?
Sounds alright. I'd like to know what impact this has on the actual gameplay other than changing all the prices and your pot of gold everytime you move to a new area.

Would the ability to customize your troops based on the different technologies available to you appeal to you, so long as there were also defaults that fit with your culture?
I do like Age of Empires, yes. Your idea appeals.

Would you be frustrated by the ability to learn or steal foreign technology knowing that you cannot advance beyond a certain point, techology-wise (around medieval period)?
I like it. I could annoy my friends with that ability. Steal catapult technology, kill evil catapult-abusing friends. Declare victory.

Would you be willing to form alliances with other players as well as do war with them?
I love it. I could move my army into an allies base, switch them to enemy and take them down from the inside.

Does a real-time strategy combat system that also allows you to take third or first-person control of your own personal character appeal to you?
Like a Beat 'em up, Dynasty Warrior kind of thing? I'd like that.

No comment. Surprise me.

How many options for face, skin texture, hair, etc. would you want for your primary character's customization?
No comment. Surprise me.

Would you want some sort of moderation so that stronger cultures cannot pick on weaker cultures, or would you prefer a program that makes you unable to attack newer players for a given time period?
Both sound nice.

FreaQaZoiD
08-14-2004, 11:28 AM
Depends on the pace of the game. SIM city was wrong.

To be honest, no. MU is a demanding mistress.

Unsure :/

The floating continent idea sounds fun :)

Yep.

Very much so

Again, answer depends on the speed of the game.

Very necessary, but makes for over-competitive gameplay.

It sounds a bit strange considering the type of game.

I'd say AOE style :) that game worked for me.

I'd say Runescape style.

Not as much given time period, as something which judges strength based on population, economy, alliance, technology and military, and converts the finding to a 'Level' of sort, and allow players to attack within a certain level limit.

Azure Chrysanthemum
08-15-2004, 09:32 AM
Looks like a few more things need to be answered.

The ability to customize AI scripts makes it so that your cities and armies can carry out fairly sophisticated orders without you controlling them, should you need to do other things. For example, you might take control of one army, use it to lure the enemy into a trap, and have several other armies attack it under the command of the AI. You could take personal control later on, of course, or even partial control and have the AI command some of your troops.

The game would have several modes of gameplay. The "normal" mode would be an overview of the area which is managed somewhat like Civilization, only in real time. The "battle" mode is a real time strategy style, though you can go deeper into the battle mode should you so desire by taking personal control of just your own character, in which case the AI takes over for the rest of the troops. Taking personal command of your own character would probably be like Everquest. That mode would probably also be initiated in certain circumstances, such as if an enemy player sends an assassin at you and you are forced to fight them off.

The default AI scripts purpose is to give you a wide variety of choices on how you want your troops and cities to act when you aren't controlling them. The option will of course be open to make your cities or armies not act when you aren't directly controlling them, but those with large empires probably won't be able to do it all.

And with regards to the currency...

A fluctuating currency will not only change the prices based on the economic strength of the countries using said currency, but the exchange rate will be altered as well. This puts a whole new dimension on trade between differing nations.

Your imput is much appreciated, thank you all and please keep it up!