PDA

View Full Version : Haitian Zombies

Demerwen Owns
08-14-2004, 04:01 PM
Zombies

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by James Dilworth

A zombie is a dead person that is brought back to life through means of Vodoun or necromancy, destroying the mental processes of this person through the process. Most people consider zombies only to be the stuff of horror books and movies, but they do exist in Haiti in the present day. Thousands of people in Haiti are considered to be zombies, some of which lead normal everyday lives with families, jobs and are respected citizens. Itıs even considered to be a crime to make a zombie in Haiti.

Haitian Penal Code:

Article 249. It shall also be qualified as attempted murder the employment which may be made against any person of substances which, without causing actual death, produce a lethargic coma more or less prolonged. If, after the person had been buried, the act shall be considered murder no matter what result follows.

To make a zombie, a voodoo practitioner makes a potion that consists of mainly the poison of the pufferfish (one of the strongest nerve poisons known to man, the clinical drug norcuron has similar effects and is used during surgery) that is given to the intended victim. This causes severe neurological damage, primarily effecting the left side of the brain (the left side of the brain controls speech, memory and motor skills). The victim suddenly becomes lethargic, then slowly seems to die. In reality, the victimıs respiration and pulse becomes so slow that it is nearly impossible to detect. The victim retains full awareness as he is taken to the hospital, then perhaps to the morgue and finally as they are buried alive. Then, at the voodoo practitionerıs leisure does he come to retrieve the victim, now become a slave, as a commodity (at one time it was said that most of the slaves who worked in the sugar cane plantations of Haiti were zombies. One case in 1918 had a voodoo priest named Ti Joseph who ran a gang of laborers for the American Sugar Corporation, who took the money they received and fed the workers only unsalted porridge). A zombie will remain in a robot-like state indefinitely, until he tastes either salt or meat(so much for ³The Night of the Living Dead²). Then the zombie becomes aware of their state, immediately returning to the grave. The reality behind the zombie has only been taken seriously by medical science within the last ten years, since the use of CAT scans of the brain, along with the confessions of voodoo priests, explaining their methods. Previous to that, zombies were considered mental defective by science or explained as stunts to try to confuse scientists.

There are many examples of zombies in modern day Haiti. Papa Doc Duvallier the dictator of Haiti from 1957 to 1971 had a private army that was said to consist of zombies, called tonton macoutes. These people were said to be in trances and they followed every command that Duvallier gave them. Duvallier was also a devout voodooist, as are many people in Haiti, who lead a voodoo churchı with many followers. He also claimed that he was immortal and he would rule Haiti foreverı, promising to return after his death to rule again. After his death (a heart attack), he did not come back, although a guard was placed at his tomb, to insure that he would not try to escape, or so someone wouldnıt try to steal the body (this is a common practice in Haiti, along with the padlocking of tombs, for the same reason). There are also many stories of people that die, then many years later return to the shock and surprise of relatives. A man named Caesar returned 18 years after he died to marry, have three children and die again, 30 years after he was originally buried. Another case involved a student from a village Port-au-Prince who had been shot in a robbery attempt. Six months later, the student returned to his parentıs house as a zombie. At first it was possible to talk with the man, and he related the story of his murder, a voodoo witch doctor stealing his body from the ambulance before he reached hospital and his transformation into a zombie. As time went on, he became unable to communicate, he grew more and more lethargic and died.

A case reported a writer named Stephen Bonsal described a zombie he witnessed in 1912 in this way:³A man had at intervals a high fever he had joined a foreign mission church and the head of the mission saw the patient die. He assisted at the funeral and saw the dead man buried. Some days later the supposedly dead man was found dressed in grave clothes, tied to a tree, moaning. The poor wretch soon recovered his voice but not his mind. He was indentifed by his wife, by the psysicain who ahd prounced him dead, and by the clergyman. The victim recognized no-one, and his days were spent moaning inarticulate words no-one could understand².

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sources Quoted

Arthur C. Clarkeıs Mysterious World: Zombies and Voodoo BBC and Discovery Channel 1996

Cassiel The Encyclopedia of Black Magic 1989 New York Mallard Books

The Haitian Penal Code

Out of This World Volume 20 1975

TasteyPies
08-14-2004, 04:23 PM
Verry interesting. I already knew of the practice. I had questions after playing GTA VC and they were answered.

Erdrick Holmes
08-14-2004, 04:51 PM
Have you been in my library again?

Triple T
08-14-2004, 07:45 PM
So... a zombie is someone that's dying? o_O *confused*

TasteyPies
08-14-2004, 07:56 PM
They aren't realy zombies, but they act like them due to the drugs...Havn't you played grand theft auto vicecity? The chubby Haitian woman drugs Tommy and he starts obeying her.

Logan
08-14-2004, 08:05 PM
So now zombies are real? :confused:? Okay, my belief system is out of whack. I believe in zombies and ghosts now? :/

Psychotic
08-14-2004, 08:06 PM
EoFF has it's very own zombie! Rye!

I can't remember why we first theorised that. Oh well. She is.

TasteyPies
08-14-2004, 08:26 PM
So now zombies are real? :confused:? Okay, my belief system is out of whack. I believe in zombies and ghosts now? :/

Well, lets just say that the resident evil movies has a basis in reality.

Wizdumb
08-14-2004, 09:12 PM
I've read a similar yet outdated version of that. Glad to read something with more information. Stupid Readers' Digest.

Triple T
08-14-2004, 10:26 PM
EoFF has it's very own zombie! Rye!

I can't remember why we first theorised that. Oh well. She is.

That was in RF, back in 2003. :p

Psychotic
08-14-2004, 10:32 PM
That was in RF, back in 2003. :p

No, I formulated it in #eoff, Mr. Know-It-All :greenie:

*zombie*

BRAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINS!

Hey wait, these zombies don't demand brains! That means they aren't real zombies! :cry:

Triple T
08-14-2004, 10:39 PM
No, I formulated it in #eoff, Mr. Know-It-All :greenie:

Yeah, but you talked about it a lot in RF, Mr. Psy. :greenie:

Kilika
08-14-2004, 10:42 PM
This is some creepy ass business! If there's one thing that scares me it's zombies, even though they aren't real...or are they...? *Spooked*

Meat Puppet
08-15-2004, 12:22 AM
If you take drugs you'll feel like a zombie. Wanna know a secret? DON'T DO DRUGS :mad2:

nik0tine
08-15-2004, 09:16 AM
thats pretty interesting. exceptfor one thing. they said they buried these people, yet a few days later they were sighted and stuff. That isnt possible. If you bury someone they will die, because they have no access to oxygen. That is what makes this whole thing seem COMPLETELY invalid.

Mikztsu
08-15-2004, 12:52 PM
I saw the movie which was good and based on reality.

I want some of that powder. :mog:

TasteyPies
08-15-2004, 01:23 PM
thats pretty interesting. exceptfor one thing. they said they buried these people, yet a few days later they were sighted and stuff. That isnt possible. If you bury someone they will die, because they have no access to oxygen. That is what makes this whole thing seem COMPLETELY invalid.

Slow heartbeat = need little oxygen

Az Lionheart
08-15-2004, 01:32 PM
DUN DUN DUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Ki Ki
08-15-2004, 02:54 PM
That is freaky!!

Why'd you post that! That is SO scary!!! I'm gonna have nightmares for life. Thanks alot man. :eep:

TasteyPies
08-15-2004, 02:55 PM
That is freaky!!

Why'd you post that! That is SO scary!!! I'm gonna have nightmares for life. Thanks alot man. :eep:

Kiki they die from complications anyway. So all you would have to do is find a twinkie factory with good locks and wait a year.

Ki Ki
08-15-2004, 02:58 PM
Oh YEA.

Ok. But I'm scared to be in a twinkie factory alone.

Who will come with me so if any zombies come near me you can die first?? (=

Azure Chrysanthemum
08-15-2004, 10:12 PM
Shotgun blast to the head. Works every time.

TasteyPies
08-15-2004, 10:55 PM
Besides there is no reason why they would become violent.

(At piggly wiggly)

Kiki: Hey fred!
Zombie Fred: Graaarrr...
Kiki: Hows the better half?
Zombie Fred: Grar grar.
Kiki: Thats nice
Kiki: Hey fred can you help me with this?
Zombie Fred: Grar..
Kiki:Thanks Fred!
Behold the Void: KIKI! GET DOWN!
*Behold the void frags Fred and Kiki*
Behold the void: Sorry.

gokufusionss1
08-15-2004, 11:22 PM
of course zombies are real in haiti this is a country that has voodoo as an offical religion.

Ki Ki
08-16-2004, 08:17 AM
Waah! That is SO not funny Tastey.

I'm SO gonna kill you with my zombie-like powers.

Meat Puppet
08-16-2004, 08:45 AM
Anything is real, so long as you believe in it.

Maxico
08-16-2004, 08:44 PM
Anything is real, so long as you believe in it.

really? I wants me a vodoo doll
*carves an doll of meat puppet out of onion (crap, I contradicted myself)*