PDA

View Full Version : Corona

Trumpet Thief
08-14-2004, 07:37 PM
chaos: Yes, that attack in SMRPG that totally annihalates my whole party. I decided to start re-playing Super Mario RPG, and my whole party is at level 30 now, but I am stuck on Culex. At the beginning, the crystal's start taking out all of their attacks that hurt my whole party, then the thunder crystal starts using Corona, which does massive damage to your whole party, and is the strongest attack in the game.

Rubedo: So, does anyone know if there is any defense against Corona, or a different strategy to beat Culex?

Del Murder
08-14-2004, 09:03 PM
I usually use the item that makes you invincible for three turns (from most stuff, I think the dark star can still kill you). Can't remember what it is called. Always bring Geno, though, since his cannon attack can do some good damage on all the crystals. I also bring Princess and have her use the bomb attack/heal. Mario uses Ultra Jump or items. Once one crystal goes down it gets a bit easier.

Another strategy that I have read but not used is equip the Lazy Shell armor on Princess and have her heal while the other two attack. Apparently her def is astounding with it equipped. Cannot confrim this, however.

Trumpet Thief
08-15-2004, 06:45 PM
chaos: Alright, I'm getting closer to defeating Culex. The only real nuisanxe now is his physical attack.

Rubedo: Thanks for the help Del!

Lord Chainsaw
08-15-2004, 11:25 PM
Culex is real tough if you plan on fighting him outright.

On a couple of occasions I've used a strategy very similar to Del's. I would give the lazy shell to Mario instead though. He would have both the lazy shell as a weapon and as armor. Both the other two party members would die, and it would be Mario versus Culex. The crystals will all hit you by about 0-1 and so will Culex. The only thing that will damage Mario will be Dark Star which does about 60-70.

You can probably go straight for Culex, but I would always eliminate the crystals one by one then go for Culex. If you use the lazy shell as armor for this fight, then Jinx is probably harder than him.

Straight up though you'll be in for a challenge. You've got to ask yourself: Do I want to go straight for Culex and end this fight as quickly as possible? Or do I want to gradually make the fight easier by taking out the crystals first?

I still wouldn't recommend a straight up fight until you're level 30. A very easy way to level up is to go to the final level (can you leave the final area?) and go to the part with the spring and the falling Machine Made Yaridoviches. Keep fighting those as they fall over and over. It's the best bet for exp you'll find.

Giga Guess
08-23-2004, 03:37 PM
Don't forget Safety Ring! Not only does it raise Magic Defence a fair bit, but also protects against status changes...and I do think he throws a few of them at you. Basically I popped that on Princess and she was unbeatable. Just have her use Group Hug and Reviver if necessary. Oh, and if you have good timing, you can use a string of Rock Candies from one, resulting in MASSIVE damage.

Oh yeah, and Culex has no attack animation. If you EVER have a long period without anything, start hammering A, to defend.