PDA

View Full Version : Need to get a sports game

-N-
08-17-2004, 03:07 AM
So I was playing World Cup 98 for my PSX again, and although I had fun beating it, I feel the need for a new sports game. So I come to you fellow gamers for some suggestions. Some constraints I will first impose:

1. Preferred sports in order: Soccer - Tennis - Basketball - Football - Baseball. Mostly due to action and intensity of these sports.
2. Preferably EA Sports - I've never tried a sports game (or any game) I didn't like by them. However, I trust your judgements.
3. The game needs to have a tournament style setup - I find league play to be long, drawn-out, and boring as hell. Football is an exception.
4. Systems - NES, SNES, PSX, PS2.

With that, fire away with suggestions, folks.

Del Murder
08-17-2004, 03:15 AM
Soccer - never played a soccer game

Tennis - Mario Tennis, if you have that system (N64). Believe me, this game is fun.

Basketball - Don't play these, but people seem to like the NBA Street series

Football - Madden! Greatest sports series ever. This gets my highest recommendation. There are also plenty of extras in the franchise mode to make it less repetitive.

Baseball - MVP seies is ok. Like you I don't like the drawn out aspects of season modes, and baseball is one helluva long season. There are manage modes that allow you to speed up the pace, but it gives the feeling that you haven't earned it. My favorite baseball game is Ken Griffey Jr.'s Slugfest for N64. The season mode sucks but the two player games are so much fun. My brother and I have played about 20 world series.

Other - Mario Golf is the greatest sports game ever. I'm not kidding.

Shoeberto
08-17-2004, 03:16 AM
The 2005 ESPN football game is only $19.99 brand new. I dunno how good it is, but that seems like the kind of price you can't pass up.

Del Murder
08-17-2004, 03:18 AM
That's pretty cheap, but I guess competing with a juggernaut like Madden necitates drastic measures. Madden is so well done it's scary. In fact, this thread has inspired me to go buy the new edition right now.

Erdrick Holmes
08-17-2004, 03:26 AM
OMFG Try one of the Tony Hawk games. They're the only sports games I like.

-N-
08-17-2004, 03:34 AM
Other - Mario Golf is the greatest sports game ever. I'm not kidding. I know you're not kidding. *has felt the glory* :p

Joel - I was never much into skating games, probably because I don't follow skating much. How does it work anyways?

I wasn't aware that Madden was that great - my friends gave OK reviews to it. *shrugs* If it's good enough for Del, though... hmm... I also heard the ESPN game wasn't that great, but who knows.

Anyways, I like the suggestions so far - especially Madden. More!

sephxangel
08-17-2004, 02:26 PM
*thinks*

ah hell I'm not much of a sports game person...and apparently some things I think are sports aren't considered sports by some people. sorry can't help ya with this one.

Erdrick Holmes
08-17-2004, 02:30 PM
Well THPS4 is kinda freestyle and timeless only your given challenges to do by people in the game. Alo TH Underground is cool too, you start off as a punk skater and by the time you're done you're a professional.

White Raven
08-17-2004, 03:09 PM
The only sports game I ever play is NHL 2004 for Gamecube. One of the or The Best hockey game out there. ^^

Oh, and since you don't seem to like Hockey games and probably don't care for the above statement, please consider any other EA games for the gendre you like. EA is one of the best game creators out there.

-N-
08-17-2004, 06:22 PM
I actually totally forgot about Hockey - sorry, I don't think about it much, but it is fun. *played 96 for Genesis*

m4tt
08-17-2004, 06:42 PM
That's pretty cheap, but I guess competing with a juggernaut like Madden necitates drastic measures. Madden is so well done it's scary. In fact, this thread has inspired me to go buy the new edition right now.

Get the Collectors Edition! Classic 16bit madden games with up to date rosters are fun. :D

I can't really recommend any games, since the only two I play are at the bottom of your list (football and baseball). Madden 2005 and MVP Baseball 2004 are both fun. MVP has it's weird quirks though. It's almost impossible to hit homeruns with left handed hitters.

NM
08-17-2004, 08:05 PM
If you want a good Football game. (Proper Football not the American kind.) Then you can't go wrong with Pro Evolution Soccer 3 for the PS2.

It dosn't have a FIFA license like EA's effort but it plays like a proper game of Football. Unlike that rubbish EA churn out every year.

For a Tennis game i'd recommend Virtua Tennis 2. It's a little old now but it still plays well and shouldn't cost that much. I managed to pick it up for £9.99 a couple of months ago.

As for a Baseball game best one i've played is Sega's World Series Baseball 2K2 on the Dreamcast. I belive it's available for the PS2 if your in North America. Can't say for certain as Baseball games don't really get released in the UK.

Del Murder
08-18-2004, 01:23 AM
MVP has it's weird quirks though. It's almost impossible to hit homeruns with left handed hitters.
:confused: I hit one with Chavez and Durazo almost every time. It's the righties I have trouble with.

Cz
08-18-2004, 04:14 PM
Pro Evolution Soccer 3 is an absolutely perfect simulation of the beautfiul game. Just ignore the licensing issues and buy it. It may not be as graphically refined as the FIFA series, but the excellent AI enchances the matchday experience no end. You're forced to think like a real footballer, and goals are incredibly rewarding as a result. I'd wholeheartedly recommend it.

-N-
08-18-2004, 06:10 PM
Pro Evolution Soccer 3 is an absolutely perfect simulation of the beautfiul game. Just ignore the licensing issues and buy it. It may not be as graphically refined as the FIFA series, but the excellent AI enchances the matchday experience no end. You're forced to think like a real footballer, and goals are incredibly rewarding as a result. I'd wholeheartedly recommend it.
*drools* How is the interface on it? Intuitive or difficult?

Rusty
08-19-2004, 06:03 AM
Get the new Athens 2004 Olympics game on PS2. That way you get to play mostly every sport.

nik0tine
08-19-2004, 06:19 AM
If you consider go kart racing a sport, get the origional crash team racer for the psx. now THAT was a great game.

Zell's Fists of Fury
08-19-2004, 06:48 AM
NFL Street for ps2. I love it.

Zante
08-19-2004, 07:54 AM
What's the difference between football and soccer? I always thought it's the same.

OMFG Try one of the Tony Hawk games. They're the only sports games I like.

They are great. You should try one of them.

NM
08-19-2004, 11:06 AM
Pro Evolution Soccer is easy to pick up and start playing. The controls are easy to get used to. But are slightly different to how the FIFA games play. The tricky bit is getting the power right for your shots and passes. For the first few games you'll send most of your shot's on goal you get sailing over the bar. Once you have the hang of it though it becomes second nature.

The big difference between the two though is that EA's games are arcade style games. Because thats what EA does. Easy to pick up and start scoring. PES is completley the opposite. It's a simulation of real Football. You probley won't even get a goal in the first 5 or 6 games but the reward for keeping at it is well worth it.

What's the difference between football and soccer? I always thought it's the same.

There's no difference if you live outside of the USA.

Soccer is the American name for Football. Everyone else calls if Football.

Cz
08-19-2004, 04:29 PM
*drools* How is the interface on it? Intuitive or difficult?
The control system is very simple, though getting used to weighting your passes takes a little practice. However, the range of difficulty settings will cater for players of all skill levels. After a few games, you'll have no trouble creating neat little one-twos and playing precision passes. Set pieces are governed entirely by your control input, rather than timed button-presses. This can be a little daunting at first, but it takes little time to get used to.

The game also has an extensive practice mode, which should be a great help.

If you do choose to buy a Pro Evolution title, bear in mind that while the current edition is fantastic, Pro Evolution Soccer 4 is only a few months away. If you'd like a fully up to date edition, I'd advise waiting for that, :)