PDA

View Full Version : Futility of Spoilers

TasteyPies
08-18-2004, 01:46 PM
Is there anyone who actualy does not read spoilers? I myself can't resist the temptation.

Do you read spoilers even if you havn't beaten/played through the event in question?

Just waiting for some feedback before I contine the point of this.

Psychotic
08-18-2004, 02:10 PM
When I first joined EoFF I'd only beaten FFVII-IX. And those were the only FF forums I ever even visited. I'd sometimes visit the forums of the games I was playing, but I'd try not to in case I saw spoilers.

Although now I've completed all 10 of the damn things and I've lost interest in FF now. Great, huh? :greenie:

So uh, yeah. Keep them.

Cz
08-18-2004, 04:02 PM
I don't read spoilers unless I've completed the game in question, and removing spoiler tags would be stupid, before you ask. :D

-N-
08-18-2004, 06:18 PM
I resisted reading a Suikoden II spoiler. I'm proud of myself. :D

escobert
08-18-2004, 07:50 PM
I just read em since PG tells me everything anyways :p

Big D
08-19-2004, 12:06 AM
I never, ever read spoilers for a title that I've not experienced, unless it's something I'll never own or care about.

Having spoiler tags is great; it means you can get advice for a game, or read a review in advance, without ruining the surprises that the plot has to offer. There are few things more aggravating when you just want a hint for a certain boss, or you want to find out if a movie is worth seeing, and the advice or review gives away huge chunks of the story. Spoiler tags or warnings eliminate that problem, especially when someone's talking about a game/movie/novel in a thread about a different title.

For example:

"Lol dat reminds me of da scene in FFIXVXICXC wen Mrs Cid stab Bob w/spoon n he r all liek ded n stuf. Dat made me lolz"

This is a pain.

Also:

"Ah, so you're stuck on the mythical supreme underwater fire cloud boss? Get your swordsman to attack, while the mages focus on defence and recovery. Avoid high-risk attacks that'll leave you vulnerable to counterattack. But remember this: as soon as the fight's over, remove all of Boreas' equipment, because he's about to get sucked into the netherworld, and you won't be able to use him for the next two-thirds of the game."

I hate it when people do this.
Spoiler tags, or spoiler warnings, are so simple to use. They're also a matter of common courtesy.

Erased
08-19-2004, 12:16 AM
I only read a few (of the games I haven't beaten/played), they are extremenly useful.

Shlup
08-19-2004, 02:17 AM
I don't ever recal having something spoiled for me. I may avoid entire threads if I want to avoid spoilers, but I've never had a problem with reading spoiler tags.

eestlinc
08-19-2004, 04:45 AM
having the game spoiled is pretty much an expected result of going to a message board dedicated to talking about specific games in detail. it's not like much in video games is very surprising, anyway. <i>What, the bad guy killed the innocent girl?!?!? NO WAY!!!!</i>

Yamaneko
08-19-2004, 06:00 AM
I'm still waiting for the game where the bad guy wins because he's evil, and not because he has a revelation and notices the error of his ways.

Zante
08-19-2004, 08:00 AM
I don't have a problem with spoilers, I always read them.

eestlinc
08-20-2004, 01:41 AM
I'm still waiting for the game where the bad guy wins because he's evil, and not because he has a revelation and notices the error of his ways.

the first time I played Dragon Warrior I told the Dragonlord I would join his dark army. Does that count?

Baloki
08-20-2004, 05:16 PM
Everytime someone doesn't use a spoiler tag someone begins to believe you can revive Airies!