PDA

View Full Version : Breath Of Fire

Jolts
08-19-2004, 08:42 AM
As you may or may not know, Squaresoft made Breath Of Fire, then Capcom took over at the last minute.

Do you think Squaresoft should've kept BOF? If they did, what do you think it'd be like instead of what Capcom has turned it into?

Personally, I've only played BOFIII and most of BOFIV and BOF: DQ. If Squaresoft (now Square Enix) keeping it means that BOFIII would be completely different, then I like Capcom making the sequals, but I still would prefer anything over BOF: DQ.

edczxcvbnm
08-19-2004, 04:27 PM
Well....your wrong Jolts. Capcom made Breath of Fire. Squaresoft did the american translation and published it over here. That is the extent of Squenix's involvement in the Breath of Fire series.

Jolts
08-19-2004, 09:47 PM
Well then, I've been mistaken. My bad.

*closed* (well...if I could...)

aeris2001x2
08-20-2004, 11:01 AM
wait, on breath of fire...

how many of them are there? and are they any good? e.g-is the new one dragon quarter worth buying?

TheAbominatrix
08-20-2004, 11:05 AM
There are 5. Dragon Quarter is number 5. I've never played it, but the other ones are all awesome.

Jolts
08-20-2004, 06:45 PM
There are 5, yes, but Dragon Quarter is in no way Breath Of Fire V. BOF: DQ sucks major ace, and I would rather eat a stick in the mud than play that game ever again (my opinion).

aeris2001x2, I would greatly suggest you play Breath Of Fire III, it's my favorite :D. BOFIV is alright, but I still think BOFIII is better.

Del Murder
08-22-2004, 10:20 PM
I also think III is the best. I hear terrible things about V so I'll probably never buy it, but the other four are kick butt games.

Lord Chainsaw
08-23-2004, 03:43 AM
I told myself I was going to play Dragon Quarter this summer because I'm a Breath of Fire freak, but most of my time was spent cussing at the cheapness that is Lufia 1.

I really have no motivation to play Dragon Quarter anymore since I hear it has no story. Then again, Grandia Xtreme had no story and I loved that game to death.

Jolts
08-23-2004, 08:50 AM
I also think III is the best. I hear terrible things about V so I'll probably never buy it, but the other four are kick butt games.
1. BOF: DQ is not BOFV.
2. Why didn't you move this to General Game Discussion?
3. Yes, BOFIII is still the best :D.

I started the series with BOFIII, sogoing back to play BOFI and BOFII kinda' didn't work...

Del Murder
08-29-2004, 05:33 PM
1. I did not know that. Is there another game called BoFV out yet? I only referred to DQ as that because it's the fifth one in the series.

2. Eh, this forum needs traffic.

3. I agree!

Ouch!
08-29-2004, 07:12 PM
I played Breath of Fire when it came out on the Game Boy Advanced, and I enjoyed it. I was going to buy 2, but I had little motivation to do so. I've heard great things about Breath of Fire III, and I should probably buy it some time in the near future.

Jolts
08-30-2004, 07:41 AM
Is there another game called BoFV out yet? I only referred to DQ as that because it's the fifth one in the series.
Well, BOF: DQ was initially going to be BOFV, but they changed it sometime in the middle of making the game (and I'm glad they did...). I haven't heard much about any BOFV yet, but I'm hoping for the best :D.
I've heard great things about Breath of Fire III, and I should probably buy it some time in the near future.
Yes you should, but it's kinda' old now, so don't expect top notch graphics. The graphics are pretty good, but the dragon system they use is what I like most about BOFIII.

Mysticgamer1987
08-31-2004, 08:37 PM
The best BOF by far is BOFII. BOFI was alright, but it could have been better. BOGIII was really good, but in BOFII there is so much you can do.

Jolts
09-12-2004, 07:06 AM
I never got far in BOFII, so I can't opine on that (ooh, "opine," not a commonly used word :D). From what I did play, it seemed alright. I never understood that emblem that shows when you talk to people, and why it sometimes changes colors.

Azure Chrysanthemum
09-12-2004, 09:22 AM
The color changing emblem reflects the mood of the character you were speaking with. Black was the worst, and the rapidly color changing one was the best. I'm not quite sure how this effected the storyline, my guess is the dialogue.

XxSephirothxX
09-12-2004, 04:51 PM
I played and beat Breath of Fire II....great game, and one of the first RPGs I ever played. It was long, and had too many random battles, but overall a very good game. I haven't played III, but it sounds good...mayhaps I'll check it out.

Lamia
09-14-2004, 02:01 AM
I've only played BOFI ... I love that game, it's a game i've been playing since I was 8... I am not sure if I'll ever get sick of it.

Vermachtnis
09-26-2004, 05:35 PM
I personally liked Dragon Quarter...
It's no where as good as III, but it's a good game. Except for the whole D-Counter thing. I didn't like that.

Jolts
10-02-2004, 09:55 AM
Well, I applaud you in being able to like this game. I didn't like it because of the battle system (didn't like that) and Ryu only have one dragon form that would result in a game over if you used it too much. That's only a minor reason, though, I could've dealt with that if they didn't have it so you'd almost have to restart so much.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-03-2004, 04:11 AM
General Gaming Discussion. Seriously.

Lindy
10-04-2004, 07:26 PM
1. Bof : DQ = BOFV as it was RELEASED as Breath Of Fire V : Dragon Quarter in America and Japan

2. What you fail to realise is that, if there was no Dragon Quarter in BOFV, then THE GAME WOULD HAVE BEEN TOO EASY, since Dragon Form = Invincibility, except to one single boss in the game who's a bonus boss anyway.

It links in with the story too, and adds a sense of urgency. It's not hard to keep the gauge down, when I finished it FIRST TIME, my D-Counter was at about 25%, maybe less. I could have used it more, and sometimes did to do a few dragon loops, but it's not necessary. Heck, all the characters are so kick arse anyway that you really don't need to D-Dive, except on a few choice bosses.

It's the only TRUE dragon form anyway, compared to the other BoF games, the dragons were just..weak, it's like having Agni from BoF 1 throughout the whole game, just limited.

Personally, I like it.

There are no current plans for a Breath Of Fire SIX (note the number, that's pretty key), but Capcom always leaves a few years between making new BoF games anyway.

Jolts
10-04-2004, 11:03 PM
1. Bof : DQ = BOFV as it was RELEASED as Breath Of Fire V : Dragon Quarter in America and Japan
My friend owned the game, and the case said "Breath Of Fire: Dragon Quarter." Oh, and it was the U.S. - NTSC version, by the way. Also, I said "owned" because he also didn't like it, so he returned it to the store.

---EDIT---
And to further prove my point, click here (http://www.capcom.com/xpml/game.xpml?gameid=750019). Nowhere on that page do they claim for it to be the number 5.

Lindy
10-05-2004, 01:14 PM
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/data/33126.html

My case is rested, look at the Japanese name.

I think the Japanese, who made the game, will know it's numbering system a little better than you do.

AND, I think you will find that for a few weeks after it's release, BoFV reigned supreme at number 1 in the Japanese gaming charts. You're just too narrow minded to realise what a brilliant game it is.

Maybe playing and beating it a few times would open your eyes, rather than just dismissing so swiftly.

Jolts
10-05-2004, 04:11 PM
Yeah, and my link was directed straight to Capcom themselves, and I think they should know better than anybody, since they're the ones who actually created the game.

Also, if you pay attention, I said I could get into it if I didn't have to restart all the time. I didn't come to my conclusion swiftly, either. I played through most of the game (would've beaten even, but I had to give it back). It was alright, except for the restarting part.

---EDIT---
I did some searching, and I'll admit that all the Japanese referrences were of "Breath Of Fire V: Dragon Quarter." However, I don't live in Japan, I live in the United States Of America, and this one just didn't feel like Breath Of Fire to me, so I still refuse to call it that.

Lindy
10-06-2004, 10:52 AM
I did some searching, and I'll admit that all the Japanese referrences were of "Breath Of Fire V: Dragon Quarter." However, I don't live in Japan, I live in the United States Of America, and this one just didn't feel like Breath Of Fire to me, so I still refuse to call it that.
Well, when Breath of Fire VI comes out.

Give up.

Blank
10-10-2004, 05:48 PM
i played a crap load of I (GBA), some of II (yes way too many random battles), and im definetly going to try III now. it looks great. DQ looks like crap and i hear its crap so im not interested. IV looks alright.

so the BOF games go in a nice connected series don't they? not like FF or Zelda.(?)

it'll probly be smooth for the most part to play III after i've already experienced some of I and II

Blank
10-12-2004, 08:03 PM
i think you guys are getting way too serious about the # of DQ. it's the fifth Bof game made so far, no biggie. and don't give me that "im competitive for the point" crap, it's just really not somethign to get pissed over, i mean really.. a number. come on

on further playing of BoF 2, i realize the games aren't each connected, or if they are (kinda like Zelda) somebody fill me in.

Lord Chainsaw
10-12-2004, 11:57 PM
That's one complete I never quite got about Breath of Fire II. The random battle thing.

I didn't notice anything wrong with the amount of random battles. There is a little virus guy at the top of the menu that will march in place according to how concentrated the area is with enemies.

The ONLY place in the game where this virus goes crazy is the final dungeon, where there is a random battle every four to five steps. This is intentional. The final dungeon is supposed to symbolize Hell and should have such a concentration of enemies. It's really the only challenging dungeon in the game (notice I said dungeon, NOT part. There are plenty of very challenging parts in the game. Among them are the fights with the Terrapin, Kuwadora, Algernon, and the Second-Last Boss.)

Aside from the final dungeon, you can expect to see a battle every 7-9 steps. I forget the actual formula, but there's quite possibly the greatest FAQ in human existence on Gamefaqs by one Ben Siron that details every aspect of this game, including the random encounter roller.

If you still think there are too many random battles (you'd cry if you played the original Lufia) then you can always throw a smoke bomb or have Ryu use the Smoke spell. I didn't find much difference in the amount of battles between the BoF II and III dungeons. Maybe it's only because the III dungeons were a lot more confusing and I spent more time running around them, and backtracking because I didn't take the right character in.

Breath of Fire 2 is my favorite of the series, and one of my top 5 games of all time, but I'll also admit it has its faults.

If I had to list what I thought was wrong with this game, I'd say:

1) I don't like the abbreviations. HelpBL, C. Sludge, EmpireSD, Deathevn. Even though that last one sounds much cooler than the non abbreviated form, it's the principle behind it I don't like.

2) I don't like how MP is replenished. Replenishing MP is done using Wisdom Fruits. The problem is they restore 20 MP by subtracting 20 HP. Another way to replinish MP is by using Wise Hoops I think they were called. Problem is those things are extremely extremely rare.

3) I don't like how the Dragon system can be abused. This is by far the biggest complain anyone has with the game. The Dragon system is a one time nuke-shot that deals 256, 512, or 999 damage depending on the size of the dragon you summon, and the ratio of current MP to total MP. How is this abused? Ryu has 140 MP. He uses G. Dragon (wtf is G dragon? Great Dragon? Gold Dragon?) Boss takes 999 damage. The same round the other three all use W fruits and restore 60 of that mp. The next round all four characters use W. Fruits on Ryu. On the third round Ryu unleashes the G. Dragon once more and the boss takes another 999 damage. Someone tosses Ryu a cure and the process repeats. That's the way I beat the last boss, at least.