PDA

View Full Version : Real life Breakfast Club.

White Raven
08-20-2004, 02:26 PM
Growing up through high school and now University I noticed that there were social groups in each place (highschool more than University). I'm sure most of us noticed them, and they ranged from 'the cool ones', 'the badasses', 'the school council', 'the loners' and finally 'the nerds'. There's no denying it. Every single school had some sort of Caste system. The rich (popular) always triumphed over the poor (nerds, etc..).

I'm sure people will deny it, but the majority of people posting in this forum are most likely part of the nerd, loner and generally the lower part of the heirarchy. Hell, even I admit to being somewhat of a nerd throughout highschool. Face it, we all enjoy playing video games (almost to the point of obsessing over minor details of games) and most of us spend way too much time in front of a monitor.

Anyways, at your highschools/gradeschools/university's/colleges have you noticed the groups that are present there, and do you consider yourself part of the 'nerdish' group.

(PS: I know some of you will argue that you don't care about groups and other stuff like that, but please be realistic aboot it.:))

UltimateSpamGrover
08-20-2004, 02:30 PM
I'm a loner, alone, mono, 1, uno, ichi. end of story

Jebus
08-20-2004, 02:36 PM
I'm definatly a nerd, and I'm proud of it.

Triple T
08-20-2004, 02:36 PM
There's also the 'new students,' 'the foreign exchange students(a higher level of new students :p),' 'the followers,' and 'the musicians.' :p

I dunno what I was, really. I was a loner sometimes, even though I have a lot of friends at school. :p

Rye
08-20-2004, 02:39 PM
Well, I'm more in the misfit/outcast group as I'll call it.The nerd group is more of the Yu-Gi-Oh obsessees. I really don't fit into any group.

I like rock music, but I'm not in with the rockers. I will wear dark clothing, but I'm not a goth. I'll wear light clothing, but I'm not a prep. I have a big Louis Vittouin bag, but I'm not in with the rich girls. And I'm horrible at sports, so I'm not certainly in the athletes group. And I'm no good at being mean to people, so I'm not a popular girl. I don't do drugs or drink, so I'm not in a druggie/drunk group. And I'm a follower, not a leader, so I'm not in the student council group. And I'm smart, but not in the perfect student-ish brown noser group. I'm pretty much in the "other" category.

Baloki
08-20-2004, 03:12 PM
I would love to be in a particular group but I never really have, I've just been friends with everyone and hung out with whoevers around. Although I do sometimes hang out with the outcast group more then others, but I seriously avoid getting stuck to a small group of obsessives, not thats that many around here any more...

Mo-Nercy
08-20-2004, 03:20 PM
In primary school, I dreamed of going to a school where I'd fit in better. A school full of nerds. My dreams came true. :D :D

You see I happen to go to one of those schools that try to emulate the academic authority of private schools without the expensive fees. It's like the cheap alternative. :mad:

I'm less of a nerd in comparison but there is no denying that everyone in the school is a nerd of sorts. Of course, there are segregated groups amongst the nerdyness. (the white guys, the musos, the guys that order pizza at lunch, the guys that gamble, the f.o.b soccer players...) In fact a lot of people are just "smart" without being nerdy. But as my form approaches the end of our high school years, all of us have seemed to kick into gear and become the nerd equivalent of a Super Saiyan.

Denmark
08-20-2004, 05:23 PM
My school is too small to have ALL those social groups, but like any society there is a sort of caste system. Although those groups mesh. A lot.

Our school basically has 4 major groups. There are the athletes, who are generally the most stuck up, although many aren't. There are the punks, who are pretty gregarious, and can be friends with athletes. There are the smart people, who aren't exactly "nerds". And then there are the so-called "dirty kids", the social outcasts who smell weird and smoke a lot and stuff like that.

And me? I'm part of the first three groups. I'm smart, like REAL music and not rap like most of the rest of the school, and I play sports. :<z>O ^_^

Yamaneko
08-20-2004, 07:13 PM
I hung out with the studious people in high school. I don't think we were nerds.

The great thing about uni is that none of that really matters.

kikimm
08-20-2004, 07:33 PM
I don't exactly havea group. I'm much more of a drifter, because I get along with pretty much anyone fairly well. I do have a set group of people that I hang out with most everyday, but I...make the rounds, every once in a while. I know I'm not a nerd, but I'm not popular either (like I care).

My friends that I hang out with are pretty mixed...there's one nerd, one punk, one athlete/popular guy, along with his fangirls...*shrug*

I like to have variety in who I hang out with, so you're not goingt o have conversations about the same thing over and over again.

The only people I completely stay away from, and won't even bother with, are the popular ones. Yes, there are a few nice ones, but most of them I can't stand, because they're rude, ignorant, and a whole crapload of other things i don't feel like getting into.

Okay, I'm done. :monster:

:D

Psychotic
08-20-2004, 07:33 PM
The UK education system is different from wherever (Go check out that A Level thread for an explanation) so don't expect college to mean the same thing, but I can honestly say that after a year at my college, I have noticed NO social groups. Everyone gets along with everyone. It's really cool. So cool that I am going to give it a :cool: smiley. :cool:

Polaris
08-20-2004, 07:36 PM
I don't know I am new at that school but at my last school I was part of the ff loonys. Sir Edeon X. me, Miguel, we knew FF and Sir Edeon x and I loved it so as Miguel and those who knew Roswell, me Sir Edeon X, Miguel, Carlota, Pedro and Teresa! Great times...

Tulmane
08-20-2004, 07:37 PM
Fun little fact: Some of the movie The Breakfast Club was filmed at my school, and the name was taken from something we have at my school*, but what they had was just Saturday School. :\

Anyway, these groups have always been around, and will more than likely be just as they are, in some way, for your whole life. From elementary to the workplace, there's always going to be different cliques. It's how people work, as herd animals. It kind of sucks though... But, it's not entirely rigid. I'm a bit of a loner in real life, but of the friends I do have, none of them are of any one set group.

*Freshman year, I got about 30-35 of these for being late every day... More or less one or two a week. ^^;;

fire_of_avalon
08-20-2004, 07:44 PM
I embodied all the members of the Breakfast Club. Seriously, I was pretty well known in my class all through highschool, but I wasn't considered popular. People knew me, people liked me, because I'm a well rounded individual. However, if I were casting myself, I'd definitely DEFINITELY say geek, but not in the traditional geek way.

Freya
08-20-2004, 07:57 PM
In my school there is the geeks/newds/losers what everyou awant to call them, then theres the jock guys, the stoners (alot of people are in that group who arnt stoners they just hang out with them, theres the cool group i guess thats my group, then the preps i hang out with them some times to but i had lunch mostly with the cool group last year, then the sluts hich consists of 3 people, oh and im not considered a loser at my school for liking anime and games and stuff its werid cause everyone else who does is considered a loser. Must be cause im a girl and cute. Yesh im not so full of my self to call myself hot but i am cute

Cz
08-20-2004, 08:36 PM
I'm considered a nerd, yes. But everyone in my school is slightly nerdy, so anyone who considers themselves 'cool' is rather foolish.

Seifer
08-20-2004, 08:45 PM
I hung out with just about everyone...well, not EVERYONE, but a diverse group of people, so I could never really be categorized.

Meat Puppet
08-20-2004, 10:06 PM
Being in a small community, we didn't get much rich kids. And the rich kids we did get were usually outcast. I'm a bit slutty myself, I've been involved in one group or another at various times throughout my school life. The jocks, the nerds, the stoners. Well, maybe not those people who play Yu-Gi-Oh all day, but all the rest sure.

Miriel
08-20-2004, 11:13 PM
Honestly, things were never that polarized at my high school. People hung out with the people they spent the most time with. The swimmers were a tight knit group because they spent so much time together and the same thing goes for the cheerleaders, the bandos, the dancers, the AP students. And I gotta say that out of all the factors, wealth probably played the least role in shaping the various groups at my school.

I had a core group of six girls who are the loves of my life and we were so different that looking back we pretty much defied most of the conventional rules of high school. My best friend was the homecoming queen as well as the ASB vice president and my other best friend ditched school quite a bit and is considered the "wild one" in the group. We had the obsessive compulsive vegetarian/health nut, the "princess" who adores Lilo and Stitch and is as Californian as you can get, the incredibly intelligent and sarcastic as hell feminist and then there was me. The one who adores Tolkien and fantasy and video game and who was also a cheerleader. How's that for a contrast? We were all dancers and that's what brought us together but we were incredibly different.

We weren't the "cool" group but we were friends with the cool group, and with the nerds, the emo kids, the jocks, the fobs etc. But when people who didn't know us looked at our group I'm sure what they saw were the "asian dancers." Which is an incredibly shallow assessment. It's really easy to say that the popular kids are all spoiled and rich and that all the jocks are dumb, but that's hardly ever the case.

Meat Puppet
08-20-2004, 11:36 PM
The cool kids were the ones who smoked behind the sports shed and said ":love::love::love::love: you" to teachers.

Psychotic
08-20-2004, 11:38 PM
The cool kids were the ones who smoked behind the sports shed and said ":love::love::love::love: you" to teachers.

Oh wow, then my college has them! I hang out with them sometimes as one of my best friends is like that. Wow. But I don't think they swear at teachers, as instead they swear about them behind their backs :D

Cloud_99
08-20-2004, 11:45 PM
The 'cool Kids' at my school have to be the most obnoxious irritating pathetic bunch of dumbasses this side of ever. I refuse to see myself as one of these people. We then have the 'Stoners'. These people are actually alright. Fairly funny nice people, they just happen to smoke pot that's all. Then technically everyone else in the year seems to fall into another group that I am part of myself. Doesn't really have a title because it doesn't just consist of 'nerds' but of people who just aren't popular enough or haven't slept with enough of the filthy whores in the popular group to be in the popular group. Alot of the 'stoners' also hang with the people in this group if they're not off stoning. As it stands if you come to my school just talk to some people and if they seem like nice people then they are part of this group. If they are arseholes then they're part of the 'popular' group. I like it this way because I get to hang with lots of nice people and I never have to talk to any arseholes. It's all good.

Freya
08-21-2004, 12:32 AM
Well the stoners at my school are well stoners. Really most of them dont really smoke anything they just say they do. And it was funny most people think the preps or cool people wont accept you and the stoners will. well for 1 and a half grades i was with the stoner group but i didnt feel right there. so in the middle of last year i went to the 'cool' table and they just let me in and started talking so really they are the people i fit in with

kikimm
08-21-2004, 12:35 AM
Strange. In my school, the 'stoners' are the popular people.

:D

Sacred Phoenix
08-21-2004, 01:04 AM
I was in the part of the "dirty rockers". You know big pants, listened to rock music, smoke etc. But I still pretty much was alright with every one, I just got classified that cause of the big pants.

-N-
08-21-2004, 01:07 AM
I hung around with a lot of groups, from the punks to the gangstas to the smart jocks to the dumb jocks to the AP kids to the student body kids to the Indian kids to the druggies to the rockers to the... man, you get the idea. One group gets really boring for me after a while, I guess. But groups definitely did exist, and it was interesting watching the interests of two different groups clash every once in a while, in class or out of it.

Kirobaito
08-21-2004, 01:34 AM
I would like to consider myself unaffiliated. I have qualities from many groups.

Preps
Uh...I dunno. I don't really have any similarities with them. We don't get along, because they think being intelligent is a sin.

Jocks
I talk to jocks quite a bit, mainly about their statistics and stuff because I'm a stat freak. =P

Nerds
I don't play any card games, but I play games. I don't wear "nerdy" clothes. I don't really care much about anything. I consider myself intelligent. If I were to be part of a crowd, it would be the nerdy crowd.

Cowboys
Yay! Country music w00t! I can talk with these people about country music, the greatest thing in the world.

Skaters
Have nothing in common with them. Don't really like them.

Punks
I find their way of dressing to be erratic and pointless. The whole concept of "conformist" v. non-conformist is nothing when you end up conforming to a non-conformist way of life. But they generally like games. I know a few of them, but not really all that well. There's also the dyed hair thing. Pointless to me.

I would consider me and my friends unaffiliated. But if I had to pick something, it would, of course, be nerd.

Del Murder
08-21-2004, 01:48 AM
I hung out with the kids who didn't give a crap, but I felt like a loner most of the time.

At Eyeson I'm part of the Cid's Knight usergroup, but I mostly affiliate with the fantasy sports clique.

Logan
08-21-2004, 01:57 AM
We have SO MANY groups.

Cowboys.
Nerds.
Goths.
Stoners.
Cheery cheerleaders/athletes.
Skaters.
"Punks" - (This is mostly freshman now, but basically it's just preppy cheerleaders with clothes from hot topic.)
Gang-bangers.

And the odd groups that aren't really anything, or that can mingle between several groups.

Silly high school. I love all groups! :love:

And I don't fit anywhere. I'd fit in the 'nerds', but I'm too dumb for that. I have friends from everywhere, because everyone loves me. I swear. >_>

Calliope
08-21-2004, 02:52 AM
The International league of Persons Against Daniel Towns, or something.

Towns says that in school we were the random lot.

"Lower Hierachy". Pfft. By the time you get to 7th form, you pretty much run the school, or at least think you do.

escobert
08-21-2004, 02:59 AM
Alrigth, I went to a VERY small schoul (graduating class of 2004 was 88) We all got along very well. There were some groups but mostly everyone could hang out and have a good time. There were the preps and skaters adn goths (which were the biggest group in the school) and the nerds. The nerds were the only ones that didn't get along with people well because they felt they were smarter then everyone. I hung out with everyone. I was mostly in the skater group but, since I played football I also hung out with the popular kids. Also I hung out witht eh rednecks alot and still do since I partied with them every weekend. I hung out witht he nerds at work so I would talk to them and such in class. But for the most part my school wasvery good at being a family sort of place in every apect be it sports classes or jusr being in lunch.

Silmaril
08-21-2004, 05:41 AM
At my old school i belonged to the Ultimate Cool.

In this school ther is:

The Crude Cool Group: Six in all. I like three of them and know two.

The Flunkers: They are not the most intelligent of the human species. In fact, they're totally dumb.

The Newks (New comers): Presently there are three and i like/speak all.

HP Fans: The Group i belong to.

There is anthr little group which is very good friends with mine.
That's it. No Nerds.