PDA

View Full Version : Reach for the light switch

Brian The Pink Shark
08-20-2004, 04:18 PM
Are any of you fans of horror movies, if so what is your fave horror movie. I am totaly mad about horror films and i think The Exorcist is the best horror film ( nae the best film ever made) :choc:

Polaris
08-20-2004, 07:56 PM
Resident Evil, the Exorcist wasn't terror for me and that fuill of Michel Pffeifer and Richard Geer 'What lies beneath'. oh boy taht was scary!

kikimm
08-20-2004, 08:05 PM
I've been saying that I hate horror movies, but looking back, I've seena lot of them, for some reason. I'm lame, but the first...argh, what was it called? That movie with Devon Sawa? Final Destination! That scared me. The Others was also creepy. Oh, and The Shining.

I'm more a fan of 'realistic' horror movies. No Haunted Mansion, special effects crap. I think that's tacky, and it's not scary at all-just funny.

:D

Meat Puppet
08-20-2004, 10:13 PM
I'm gonna go with being one of those losers who stays home watching old black&whire horror flicks late on Friday night. Modern films don't seem scary at all, even with the lights out.

Brian The Pink Shark
08-20-2004, 10:29 PM
I'm gonna go with being one of those losers who stays home watching old black&whire horror flicks late on Friday night. Modern films don't seem scary at all, even with the lights out.

true :choc:

Erased
08-20-2004, 10:29 PM
Neither of these really scared me, but I have my favorites.
Secret Window was good. Will I read the book? Of course not.
Also I liked The Others. Either of those are most excellent.

Big D
08-21-2004, 05:26 AM
I'm gonna go with being one of those losers who stays home watching old black&whire horror flicks late on Friday night. Modern films don't seem scary at all, even with the lights out.Those classics that they're showing on TV One these days... even movies from the late 40s can still be just as effective as newer stuff.:D

It's unfortunate that horror movies are succumbing to the Hollywood demand for sensationalism and gratuity. Instead of deeper, psychologically unsettling stuff, they think that fear has to
be generated by "big scary monster" stuff. Monsters are all well and good, but the best fear is generated by what's not seen.
Signs, for instance, is one of the best horror movies I've seen. For the vast majority of that movie, you never actually see the origin of the fear - only the signs of its existence, and the people's reaction to it. Yet still, the tension and fear were almost palpable in the cinema. What is suggested and unknown.. that can be where the best frights come from, rather tham "OMG big scary maggoty demon at the window! I must flee from my bedroom wearing a negligee than get impaled on some spiky things..."

The Ring managed to be quite unsettling, too. Images, pictures, and words were all it took to generate an on-going suspense; that suspense heightened the effect of what happened later.

Demon Island, however, was utter garbage. Truly, unbelieveably pathetic. The "villain" was a vicious, inhuman monster with many fearsome powers; the cast were killed horribly; yet there were no surprises, no shocks, no real fear. Just predictability and an attempt to make a movie "scary" by showing a snarling red CG statue every few minutes. Yayness.
But if you want to be amused, it's a great movie to watch with friends. Pick one character each, and you'll soon be able to say their lines for them, before they do. It's that formulaic. :tongue:

Moose Knight
08-21-2004, 05:32 AM
I like 'Evil Dead,' but not that I think its scary.

EDIT:

Oh yeah, The Hills Have Eyes is another hilarious horror film, I don't think its as well known as 'The Evil Dead' but its still kind of cool.

escobert
08-21-2004, 07:57 AM
They scare me which is bad. I can't sleep for yeasr after watching aanything remotly scarry.

TheAbominatrix
08-21-2004, 08:02 AM
The Exorcist didnt do it for me. I enjoy horror films a little... usually not my genre.

I prefer older ones, funny ones like Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, and Evil Dead.

My favorite horror movie of all time would be 28 Days Later, because it was a movie that made me think, not just threw out some startling noises to scare me.

jrgen
08-21-2004, 11:01 AM
Evil dead is cool because it sucks so badly it almost feels like a parody.

Meat Puppet
08-22-2004, 02:59 AM
The Ring, Final Destination etc were more funny than scary. I think Final Destination 2 had quite clever ways of the people dieing, like that lad that got crushed, the ladder in the eye... None of it was scary though. What a "waste".

Giga Guess
08-22-2004, 04:11 PM
I just saw "They." That movie kinda creeped me out. Mainly the psychological aspect. Is she crazy? Or are They really there?

Armisael
08-22-2004, 05:15 PM
To tell the truth i prefer watching romantic movies but i like a lot the horror movies too.My favorite is "halloween"with Jamie Lee Curtis although that which scared me to death was "Stigmata".I can't tell that "Exorcist" scared me,it made me more to laugh but it was very good movie.

Shoeberto
08-22-2004, 06:54 PM
It's weird how many people don't think The Exorcist is scary and even think it's funny. I can't even watch clips from it without having trouble sleeping for the next couple of nights. No joke.

The original Evil Dead scared the living crap out of me. Obviously, the second and Army of Darkness are different situations, but the first one just...creeped me out.

Kopteri
08-22-2004, 08:03 PM
I dont really like horror movies, but some of them are good like The Shining and The Night of the Living Dead (classic!).

Burtsplurt
08-22-2004, 08:11 PM
The Shining, Ring and Night of the Living Dead are probably my favourites. Dawn of the Dead is great as well, but I don't know if I'd class it as a horror (most of it seemed to be a comedy!).

Brian The Pink Shark
08-22-2004, 09:39 PM
i thought the shining was a lot more funny, when Jack got frozen at the end i was in histerics ( did i spell that right) :choc:

Giga Guess
08-22-2004, 09:46 PM
Not a movie (and I may sound obsessive) but Silent Hill CREEPS ME OUT! It's just an atmosphere...

Armisael
08-22-2004, 09:52 PM
Not a movie (and I may sound obsessive) but Silent Hill CREEPS ME OUT! It's just an atmosphere...
I have played the first-i'm going to play the second soon-and i agree with you,especially in the hospital,it's very scary.

TheAbominatrix
08-23-2004, 12:02 AM
I didnt find the movie The Shining scary, but the book freaked me out terribly. It's far far more frightening than the movie.

Calliope
08-23-2004, 01:28 AM
The Exorcist bored me to tears. I almost fell asleep during it several times.

I have yet to watch a frightening horror movie.

Kirobaito
08-23-2004, 01:37 AM
I've never been scared by a horror movie, but I do enjoy watching them. I thought, in a horror aspect, <i>The Ring</i> was greatly overrated. <i>The Exorcist</i> was not scary, just disgustingly disturbing. I never wish to see it again.

Giga Guess
08-23-2004, 01:43 AM
I think horror movies pander mostly to those who have incredibly over active imaginations. Much like myself.

SomethingBig
08-23-2004, 03:14 AM
The Others was quite creepy. Resident Evil disappointed me beyond belief. It was more of an Action Thriller than a Horror movie. Apocalypse looks even worse. The Ring was pretty scary. The part at the end where you see the girl "attacking" the guy made me tear.

Rusty
08-23-2004, 06:58 AM
The Others is my favourite, I love that movie, quite freaky, but such a great twist :)

I Know what you did last summer and I Still know what you did last summer scared me quite a bit, even though I have watched them at least 5 times, I still find them scary. I didn't really like either of them...my sister does, so I just watched them when she did.

Lord Chainsaw
08-23-2004, 07:05 PM
I'm partial to Nosferatu: Symphony of Horrors. It's pretty good considering it was made in the early 1920's. Not too scary though. The 1970's remake of it had an excellent Dracula, Klaus Kinski.

My favorite horror movie is Warlock, though. It's not horror in a scary sort of way, more of an action sort of way. It reminds me a lot of Castlevania with the lead protagonist with a whip and the focus of the story around the immortal villain instead of the hero. Warlock 2 and 3 sucked though.

I also like Phantasm. Angus Scrimm was an excellent Tall Man. I haven't seen Phantasm 2 3 or 4 because the video store doesn't carry them, but I did like the original.

BatChao
08-23-2004, 07:28 PM
The Others was quite creepy. Resident Evil disappointed me beyond belief. It was more of an Action Thriller than a Horror movie. Apocalypse looks even worse.

RE was supposed to be an action movie... not a horror movie. And RE:A looks kewl if not only because it has Jill Valentine in it... YAY JILL!

As for me, I like horror movies. I really like campy B-horror movies... they be so funny!

But as for real scary movies, my faves are Exorcist (the re-released one with new scenes), 6th Sense, and Stir of Echoes.

SeeDRankLou
08-23-2004, 09:05 PM
The Ring and Signs were good ones. I rather liked The Cell (or was it just called Cell, with Jennifer Lopez). And I'm probably one of the few people who will admit to liking the Scream Trilogy. The first one was classic, the second was alright, and the second half of the third one was awesome.

Giga Guess
08-23-2004, 09:07 PM
The Cell was good. Again, I liked the psychological aspect...and it was a bit creepy.

Armisael
08-23-2004, 10:10 PM
The Ring and Signs were good ones. I rather liked The Cell (or was it just called Cell, with Jennifer Lopez). And I'm probably one of the few people who will admit to liking the Scream Trilogy. The first one was classic, the second was alright, and the second half of the third one was awesome.
Scream is one of my favorite scary movies-especially the first with Billy and Stewart maniacs,the second was great too,about the third i didn't like that much-but i can't tell it scared me.I think "The ring"was more scary.