PDA

View Full Version : re release chances

aeris2001x2
08-20-2004, 07:53 PM
what do ppl think the chances are that some square classics like Chrono Trigger/cross, Xenogears/saga, ff tactics etc will get released in uk. be it for ps1 ps2 or even ps3.

i mean considered how popular square is right now, can they really keep screwing us in UK over??? it took us 8 years to get ffVI, 11 years to get ffIV, and 16 years 2 get ffI. yet we get *wonderful* titles like Ehergiz and the Bouncer :rolleyes2 . this is quite depressing...

Lon611
08-20-2004, 08:01 PM
i feel u pain. over here in the us we don;t hav 2 wait, but still :cry: .

well, if they were making releases of those over in the uk, they'd probably make rereleases somewhere else, but i haven't heard anything. rebay is ur best bet :p sorri i can't b of any more help. for chrono trigger, try the rom!

aeris2001x2
08-20-2004, 08:09 PM
for me the problem of roms, is they dont really count as owning the game, they get deleted with ease and i dont even have my own computer.

and with imports, i have 2 chip my ps1, and then keep chiping my ps2 ps3 ps4 etc over time. i just want a nice easy uk release...

DJZen
08-20-2004, 08:46 PM
It's very possible that they'll do it if they think it'll profit them. However, I can sense their apprehension at releasing a 2-D game on a current or next-gen system. 2-D games typically don't sell well anymore (unless it's on a portable, but you loose a lot of resolution that way and you won't get nifty extras like CG movies). Very few people want to pay $30 or $40 (no idea what that trasnlates to in pounds or euros, sorry :( ) for games that "could have been done on yesterday's hardware. I'm not saying this is a good thing, mind you. I'm one of the few people who just wants to give interesting sounding games a try regardless of production value. Except FPS games. But that's beside the point. My point is, a lot of gamers nowadays didn't grow up with 2-D games as much, so they obnoxiously don't want to give it a try. Developers aren't helping by not making more than 3 2-D games a year, but that's another story. If you REALLY want to show interest in these titles, e-mail Squenix in Europe and ask them about it. The important thing is to show that you want to spend money on these games.

Jolts
08-20-2004, 08:59 PM
They should release a "MEGA COLLECTION" that includes all Final Fantasies, Kingdom Hearts, and Chrono Trigger&Cross (with whatever bonuses any version had) for every country.

Big problem with that though. One, they probably wouldn't make any money off of it, so it'll never be done. Two, it would cost a boat load of money just to buy it, and a lot of time to actually play through all of them (but you know poeple would).

aeris2001x2
08-20-2004, 09:07 PM
i think i will definitly email them. what is their e-mail address?

i wish they had released them along with the ffI-II,IV-VI re-releases. they sold very well here in UK and got alot of the lost money from spirits within back.

maybe they should release them with like ffXI,XII,XIII etc? or at least release them with a ffXII,XIII demo etc, 2 attract main stream interest. its such a shame though...

NM
08-20-2004, 11:21 PM
I don't think you'll get much joy from Square-Enix Europe.

All they really do is translate stuff thats being released in PAL territories. At least thats what it sounded like to me when I had a look around the website.

But Squenix don't treat us that bad really. We got the best version of FFX. Final Fantasy 8 & 9 were released very close to the US release dates as well. We eventually got Final Fantasy 1,2,4,5 and 6 as well. FF1 & 2 are being released in Europe for the GBA before the end of the year. The games havn't even been announced for North America yet from what i've read.

But the reason RPG's never used to get a release in Europe was because some genius decided that we didn't like them. It was only when FF7 went flying of shelves that their attitudes changed.

The other thing you can do is buy games like Chrono Cross, Xenogears from the US and then play them on a PSX emulator on your PC. Thats what I did with Chrono Cross. You can also buy a USB adapter so you can plug in your PS controler. Or you could go for the hardcore option of getting an American PS2. Places like Amazon.com and EBGames.com both ship to overseas address's, and there's always EBay, so importings no longer as expensive as it was back in the SNES days.

Blank
08-21-2004, 12:16 AM
doesn't the majority of the UK speak english? so what's wrong with buying a game off ebay or some other game selling website?
i dont see why you cant just have a Ps1/2 and just buy the games and play them. is there something i don't know? i think so. why was there a UK version of X released. it's in the same language!! or was it done with different voice actors to have the accents? i know how the UK version had dark aeons, i dont get the point of not putting that in US version. somebody fill me in. i feel like an idiot

Lon611
08-21-2004, 12:56 AM
i don't know all the technological mumbo jumbo, but i believe they're different formats. maybe im weird, but i also believe it's with vcr's?mayb dvd's?iuno :mad: buying the game then using a ps emulator was clever, but i kno u said u didn't hav ur very "own" cpu.

only thing i can think of is expensive, and it's 2 buy an american ps2 along with the games u desire on e-bay. that way the formats will fit, won't they?it is kinda of retarded 2 cherry pick which country gets to play which game first tho. they should have one global release date, that's it. i kno they need 2 spend time 2 localize, but jus freakin wait till all the countries are caught up, then *poof* every1's happy :D !!!!but, that's like wishing for world peace... :(

aeris2001x2
08-21-2004, 01:46 AM
yeah US use NTSC PS2 and TV while UK use PAL PS2 and TVs(which is same as Japanese funnily enough). so they can change the language AND the format 4 USA. but they cant just change language for UK :confused: . its infuriating.

NM
08-21-2004, 10:44 AM
Both Japan and the USA have the NTSC standard for TV. Europe and Australia have PAL. The difference is that NTSC runs at 60Hz and PAL runs at 50Hz. But any TV bought in the last 10 years will support 60Hz anyway. But most companys don't put in a 60Hz option. (*Cough CAPCOM Cough*) :D So we get a game with massive black borders top and bottom.

The other thing is that companys region code the systems. Just like DVD films. US region1 Europe region 2 etc... the same is done with consoles. A PAL console will only play PAL games.

Games companys usual excuse for the big delay in releasing a game in Europe is because of the language issue. Fas as I know most North American games come out with French and Spanish already in them.

Jolts
08-21-2004, 09:07 PM
The reason it takes so long to get to Europe is the same reason that US sometimes doesn't even get some games. They want to make sure people will buy it. If not enough people buy it in Japan, then it usually won't get released anywhere else, and if US doesn't buy enough, it probably won't go to Europe or anywhere else. It might come to US first because we're closer. Japan and Europe are on almost complete opposite sides of the planet.

My thoughts^.

aeris2001x2
08-21-2004, 09:14 PM
well it depends. in sum ways Europe is closer. it depends which way u travel...

Jolts
08-21-2004, 09:21 PM
Why would you go West when East is much faster?
Going to Europe, East or West would still be longer than going East to USA, which is probably why NOA is Washington (I think), and other "Of America" gaming companies are near the West coast (again...I think).

aeris2001x2
08-21-2004, 09:23 PM
sorry. i thought the pacific ocean was big, but then i pictured a globe and saw that the North American Continent almost touches Asia.

Jolts
08-21-2004, 09:27 PM
There used to be a landbridge from Alaska to Asia, but it's been engulfed under water for a long time now.

The Pacific Ocean is big (the biggest ocena, even), but it's still smaller than distance between Japan and Europe.

---EDIT---
Map (http://moat.nlanr.net/International/images/collab_world_map.gif)
From the looks of it on that map, USA's West coast and Europe's Eastern border is about the same distance to Japan. So, I don't have any real idea why we get second dibs. Maybe 'cause we're mad crazy about spending money?

MecaKane
08-21-2004, 11:04 PM
Fas as I know most North American games come out with French and Spanish already in them.
I'm from Canada, and I've never played a game with french language as an option, or spainish, or anything other than japanese. Some games have french instructions, and print on the back, though.
Some games are released in the states and not here, too. That GH version of Xenogears wasn't released here, probably because Square Enix puts french instructions with all its games and puts "[maple leaf] Canada" in the top corners, so I had to get it at a store that imported it, and pay more, too. @_@

Oh, I saw a french version of FFVIII on PC, once. That was just french, though.

Del Murder
08-22-2004, 10:23 PM
Donkey Kong Country 2 has a French option, but that's the only one I've ever remembered. Maybe Super Punch Out too, now that I think about it.

NM
08-22-2004, 10:36 PM
I've got a few import games for my GameCube and i'm sure quite a few have different languages already in them. Sonic Hero's has for definate. But you'd know better than me as I don't live in the US.

DJZen
08-23-2004, 08:24 AM
Step 1: go here - http://www.square-enix-europe.com/

Step 2: choose whichever language you speak most fluently

Step 3: click on "fan zone" (or whatever that translates to in your language of choice)

Step 4: they have forums and stuff. Use them.

Step 5: click on "profile" (again, that would probably be a different word on the non English pages)

Step 6: click on that nifty "Contact Us" link on the bottom

Step 7: fill out all the information and write to them, telling them what you think of their scarce releases as politely and professionally as possible. Remember, you want to give them your money to play the wonderful games that you want them to localize and release.

Step 8: hit send

Step 9: Go to the mobile section and download Actraiser onto your phones, something we'll NEVER be able to do in the US. You lucky jerks..... THAT GAME IS BETTER THAN..... oh wait... it's a watered down version that only vaguely resembles the SNES game of the same name.......

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Okay, sorry, that was mean, but still. All Squenix Mobile gave us Americans was a lame shooter called Brave Shot. That's at least one you've got on us ;)