PDA

View Full Version : Poképlayers

Jolts
08-21-2004, 09:40 PM
Who here actually plays Pokémon games (the RPGs, not the card game or anything like that)?

I know I do :D.

aeris2001x2
08-21-2004, 09:45 PM
when i was 15-16 i was hugely into Pokemon. the anime rocked and i loved Red/Blue/Yellow. i think i spent like 170 hours on Red and got 150 pokemon, 20 lv100's, 6 mewtwos etc.

but i lost interest when gold/silver came out and the Anime stsrted 2 go down hill. it Eventually meant i sold my Red July 2003. i regret that, but i just did not play it anymore.

i still watch classic Pokemon when its on...and my bro likes it, so i still play it sumtimes. i just think the new Pokemon games r rehashs of the Red/Blue classics.

Erdrick Holmes
08-21-2004, 09:47 PM
I still play them, I just bought sappire about 3 weeks ago. My best creatures are on my silver version. I got a Mewtwo that has never been KO'd, that sucker is a beast.

aeris2001x2
08-21-2004, 09:49 PM
i was like the second best poke player back at my old school. and then i got 6 lv100 Mewtwos... :D

this one guy though, who was better then me, was insane. he was the master. i only ever beat him once (and that was with a lv255 Snorlax i attained using Reds Missingno glitch).

Jolts
08-21-2004, 09:56 PM
I can't wait for Pokémon Emerald (has been officially announced for Japan, so far) because it brings pre-battle animations back (like with Crystal) :D.

I still have, and every once in a while, play, Pokémon R/B/Y, G/S/C, and Ru/Sa (still working on getting my favorite teams for Ru/Sa). Can't wait for FR/LG to come out, because I've been wantin' to replay R/B/Y, but can't get over the minimum of only 20 items for carrying around.

Azure Chrysanthemum
08-21-2004, 10:11 PM
I played the game, it wasn't bad. Ruby and Sapphire dissappointed me because even though it was for GBA you couldn't have all the pokemon like you could in Silver and Gold which were for GBC. I may play them again, I don't know.

aeris2001x2
08-21-2004, 10:13 PM
i feel like they cant compete with FF. plus there is no peer group 2 show off 2 any more :cool:

Del Murder
08-21-2004, 10:55 PM
Pokemon rules. My brother is the champ in the family but that's only because he's afraid to play my team. I've played the Yellow and Silver versions. The new ones get stale, I was cool with the 150, then the extra 100 wasn't bad, but now there's like 500 pokemon and that's too many to keep track of.

Strider
08-21-2004, 10:58 PM
I played Pokemon back when it was just Red and Blue, but I really don't anymore.

SomethingBig
08-21-2004, 11:23 PM
I was the first person in my old town to hate Pokémon and I'm the only person within my group of friends to still hate Pokémon.

omnitarian
08-22-2004, 12:42 AM
The pokemon RPGs are sheer brilliance. There's the deceptively simple game on the outside, and then the intelligent, complicated, cut-throat game of wits and strategy underneath.

It gives you a sense of pride, being aware that you know vastly more than the people who gives special attacks to Gyarados, or Hyper Beam to anything.

Shoeberto
08-22-2004, 12:59 AM
I played Pokemon back when it was just Red and Blue, but I really don't anymore.

Black Mage
08-22-2004, 01:34 AM
Yep, I play/ed 'em. I enjoy them a lot.

In fact, I'm estatic about Leaf Green. Can't wait.

Azure Chrysanthemum
08-22-2004, 01:47 AM
What are the new Red and Green games supposed to be about?

Mo-Nercy
08-22-2004, 01:50 AM
I only played the original Red and Blue and a bit of Yellow before I got rather bored. I played the card game as well but my deck went out of fashion when everyone seemed to have a Charizard..

Del Murder
08-22-2004, 02:13 AM
Fire and Leaf are updated versions of the old Game Boy games (Red and Green, Green was only released in Japan) that can are compatible with the Gamecube Pokemon Stadium-type game.

SpiritWolf
08-22-2004, 02:51 AM
Although I have been losing intrest in the pokemon games lately I still like the series and I still play the games.

Azure Chrysanthemum
08-22-2004, 03:00 AM
Do Leaf and Fire only have the original 150 and follow the basic Red and Blue plotline?

Ouch!
08-22-2004, 03:04 AM
I have all of them up through Gold and Silver. I prefer the originals better, blue and red, and even yellow. I thought 250 was pushing it, and now the numbers they have are just crazy. I collected the original 150 pokemon, but my game got a virus (messing with Missing No.) and I my pokemon started to get screwed. My Charizard lost flame thrower for ember and crazy stuff like that. I cried when I had to delete the data. TT.TT

Del Murder
08-22-2004, 03:17 AM
Do Leaf and Fire only have the original 150 and follow the basic Red and Blue plotline?
As far as I know that is correct. You can use the Google search at the top of the page to find out for sure.

Carnage
08-22-2004, 03:36 AM
The games are alright. I wish i never spent so much money on those shity cards. Worst investment ever :mad:

lockeIX
08-22-2004, 03:53 AM
I played Blue and Red, and was extremely obsessed, but I lost intrest and when Silver and Gold came out, I didn't care about them at all. All my friends got Ruby and Sapphire, and so did I, and I loved them. Can't wait for Leaf Green.

Azure Chrysanthemum
08-22-2004, 04:07 AM
I like the game because of the customizability options. Do the math here.

Let's say what? 350 pokemon, x6 in your team, x4 attacks each, x150 attacks (I'd say that's about the mean of what all pokemon can use, at least as I remember it)=1,260,000 possible team structures. Rather extensive, no?

Black Mage
08-22-2004, 04:09 AM

All 150 original are available between the two, as are the Gold/Silver Pokemon at special islands at the end of the game.

However, I do not believe that the remakes follow the plot of Gold/Silver, though they do Red/Blue.

Zante
08-22-2004, 07:42 AM
I played them them, got all pokes in gold/silver. It was a good game, before it started going comercial. (like you can't trade ruby with gold without stadium)

Doomgaze
08-22-2004, 08:07 AM
http://www.illusionaryworld.com/ketchup.jpg

Kilika
08-22-2004, 08:51 AM
dude, back in like 6th grade...around 98' pokemon was all the rage at my school. Everyone brought their gameboys to school and would trade and would fight each other...Long live the old Pokedays!

Jolts
08-22-2004, 09:09 AM
(Red and Green, Green was only released in Japan)
Actually, that's somewhat untrue. According to Nintendo, the USA Blue was actually the same as the JAP Green. We never got the real Blue (JAP had all three, Red, Green, and Blue). Nintendo started to consider releasing JAP Blue in USA and call it "True Blue," but they never did.

Del Murder
08-22-2004, 09:20 AM
Very interesting. Wonder why they did that.

Jolts
08-22-2004, 09:30 AM
I don't know, similar reason why the USA FFIII is actually JAP FFVI?

Cz
08-22-2004, 02:58 PM
I owned Red and Yellow during the days when Pokémon was popular, and then bought Gold when I had nothing to play on my GBC. I haven't bought any of the recent releases however, nor do I plan to.

SpikingZero
08-23-2004, 12:34 AM
I have Yellow and Silver. I haven't played either lately; I haven't had much of the desire to. Not to mention I have played neither Ruby nor Sapphire versions. However, the new updated versions of Red and Blue seem to have intrigued my interest a little bit. I may get me a copy.

Oh, and the original 150 Pokémon rule. The rest after that are all seriously not that impressive-looking. It's like they tried too hard or something.

As someone already posted, the anime really has gone downhill. The older episodes are really cool; the dialogue is so much better, not to mention it had much better acting than the more recent ones.

I stopped watching after Season 5 and to be honest, I don't know why in the hell I kept watching it for that long.

d20{fx}
08-23-2004, 08:24 AM
I've played Red/Blue, Gold/Silver, and Ruby/Sapphire and the games are really pointless.The fact that you have to level the little buggers really annoys me. The only reason why i've played most of the versions is for the sake of continuity.

And i like to add that Ruby/Sapphire's 3 set of legendaries are really stupid because its really hard to actually get them.Unless you have a working knowledge of brail you have to check a game guide on how to get them.

Jolts
08-23-2004, 08:26 AM
I welcome some of the new ones with no problem (like Houndour/Houndoom, Poochyena/Mightyena, Bagon/Shellgon/Salamence, and Beldum/Metang/Metragross), but I was never really interested in too many of the water types (which are the most common ones, of course).

My favorite types are ELECTRIC (favorite elemental), DRAGON (2nd favorite animal...although it never really existed), PSYCHIC (powerful), and DARK (ideal for fighting PSYCHICs with). STEEL is good too, but I like the others much better.

I also like most of the ones that somewhat look like wovles (1st favorite animal). If only they'd make a "wolf" pokémon...I mean, come on, they have "dog" (Growlith/Arcanine, Houndour/Houndoom, and, I think, Electrike/Manectric) and "hyena" (Poochyena/Mightyena), but no "wolf."

m4tt
08-23-2004, 05:15 PM
I have Yellow, Silver, Crystal and Ruby. I played blue and red on emulator so I'm looking forward to these remakes. I liked the original story more, because there wasn't very much of it. :p

Ruby was fun, but I got bored with it.

CloudSquallandZidane
08-25-2004, 06:58 AM
Dude i used to be soooo hard core on this. Once i beat the game and got my pokemon to lvl. 100 ty missingno. I started to battle players that would gather every Saturday at my local toys r us. I beat every1 Nintendo sent there as a "gym leader"(*Twice*) to play the kids, promote contests, and promote card buying etc. I beat the guy they sent sooo bad he only saw 3 of my pokemon team, and he only knocked out 1 of the 3 he saw, We were both full lvl. 100s with 6 pokemon each.

Thats how i got my Mew. I collected all 151 pokemon in the orignal game thats right 151 pokemon not 150. 152 if u count missingno, which is just a pokemon without a data set.

i was only beaten on the gameboy once by this kid with the "Iron Mewtwo" which had this awesome defense and "rest", i smashed his whole team without losing one, then he pulled out the Mewtwo, and i lost horribly. I beat him once i got my second Mewtwo, the first of many (* :D *). Including my lvl. 255 one.

Ive since retired, i probably should have went to a tournament and won some money... If any of u r ever in the Tacoma/Fife, Washington area i'd be glad to dust off my blue version, and send u crying to the Pokecenter.

(*j/king*)....

but im serious

Give me a PM!!!!

aeris2001x2
08-25-2004, 09:29 AM
question, how could u get a lv255 mewtwo? to the best of my knowledge, Mewtwo could not appear above lv 100 when u surfed up and down cinniabar island using the missingno glitch. and seeing Missingno is bad enough. capturing him risks deleting your data.

u sound pretty good. i am also an ex Red veteran. i was fantastic, i even got 6 lv100 mewtwos. i was still only second in my school though. my friend Ryan was the best...i only ever beat him once...and that was with a lv 255 snorlax :eek: . i consider above lv 100 as cheating, so in essence i had 2 resign 2 being second best.

Super Christ
08-25-2004, 09:44 AM
I play. My own favorites to use are:
Pikachu/Raichu - The best electric types as far as I'm concerned. And electric is my favorite type.
Bulbasaur/Venusaur, Charmander/Charizard, Squirtle/Blastoise: You need a balanced team, and while I've liked all the starters, the ones from Red/Blue are definitely my favorite starter set.
Ralts/Kirlia/Gardevoir: One of my favorite psychic types.
Celebi: I guess it's my fascination with time travel. That, and the fact that Celebi learns Recover, and is built like a tank, means he's almost never knocked out.

Yeah, I'm definitely looking forward for Fire Red/Leaf Green to come out. But I'm even more looking forward to my friends getting Ruby or Sapphire so I can battle with them.

escobert
08-26-2004, 03:21 AM
I choose option #2 :p

I have red and I had yellow. I never really played em much. I pwn in stadium though.

Lon611
08-26-2004, 05:37 AM
i used 2 play. i finished blue with 150 pokemon, only got my blastoise and mewtwo 2 level 100 without rare candy's. then i actually beat silver before ne1 cuz it was imported. i now realize the difficulty in playing an RPG in a language u hav no clue how 2 decipher, rofl. i still beat it tho. i got my (don't know it's name in english) bakufan 2 lvl 100 b4 i used gameshark 2 catch all 250(?)

the thing that shocks me is it's addictive. even to this day. im still debating wether 2 get the new ones for gba, be-it that i won't have the slightest clue what's going on nemore :mad:

neway, yah, the thing that shocks me is, as an RPG, the graphics suck (they're okay, iuno about the new gba ones), there's almost absolutely no plot besides be better than ur rival, and yet we used 2 play til our thumbs turn blue! :eek: not only that, but i don't know ne1 who enjoyed the music, lol. plus, zero character development.

despite all those essential things missing in this tiny RPG, it's one of the most addictive ones out there!that says how gr8 pokemon is/was

Jolts
08-26-2004, 06:20 AM
I can't wait for FR/LG to build my all DARK team.

Mightyena
Houndoom
Tyranitar
Sharpedo
Sneasel
Murkrow

Some of those might be spelled wrong, but you get the idea.

Xander
08-26-2004, 04:36 PM
I played a bit, but not a lot of the older Pokemon games on emulators, then when Ruby came out I played quite a lot of that on an emulator and really got into it, and I finally got round to buying it the other day. It's fun catching all the cute Pokemon aww, and levelling them up and stuff. The only thing I don't like about playing Ruby is how all the Pokemon are new ones. I WANT PIKACHU =(

omnitarian
08-26-2004, 06:49 PM
Pikachu is in R/S. Check the Safari Zone.

Jolts
08-26-2004, 08:12 PM
All pokémon are programmed into the Ru/Sa games, but not all of them are catchable. You'll be able to trade them into Ru/Sa from FR/LG and/or Colleseum.

Also, like omnitarian alread mentioned, Pikachu can be caught in Ru/Sa in the Safari Zone. More specifically, in the Southern parts of the Safari Zone, but it doesn't appear often, and it's pretty difficult to catch sometimes.

Lord Xehanort
08-26-2004, 08:14 PM
I am the Pokemon Master! "I know everything" ~Shinra FFX-2 (worst... game... ever...)~

Seriously; I know all elemental weaknesses and resistances, all the best Pokemon, and have never been beaten by any opponent who wasn't a cheater. (CURSE YOU OLLY!!!!!)(CURSE YOU BATTLE TOWER!!!!!)

My Ruby Team is:

Aggron-Level 50
Salamence-Level 64
Flygon-Level 50
Skarmory-Level 53
Manectric-Level 51
Groudon-Level 65

(shift Lvl 64 Sal for Lvl 50 Sal in PC for Battle Tower)

My Battle Tower team moves are:

Sal (holding King's Rock): Brick Break(Fighting), Dragon Claw(Dragon), Flamethrower(Fire), and Bite(Dark)

Flygon (holding Shell Bell): Giga Drain(Grass), Crunch(Dark), Dragonbreath(Dragon), Earthquake(Ground)

Aggron (holding Leftovers): Rock Tomb(Rock), Surf(Water), Return(Normal), Metal Claw(Steel)

Seriously, try this and see how well you do! Of course, Battle Tower will rip you apart no matter what you do. There's always something that wipes the floor with me..... whores. :mad:

I just wish you could trade from Red/Blue/Yellow to Ruby... then I could trade my Mew and Mewtwo over. That's right, you can capture Mew in the wild in the original 3 games!

Jolts
08-26-2004, 08:36 PM
Well, you can't really catch Mew in the wild...you have to rig it (trust me, I know).

Anyway, the Battle Tower doesn't cheat, it just makes you use all your talents if you wish to win. At least they restore your entire party between battles.

Lord Xehanort
08-26-2004, 08:47 PM
No rigging about it. It's the weirdest 'glitch' I've ever seen. He doesn't even appear in tall grass! It's just in the path west of Lavender.

Erdrick Holmes
08-26-2004, 09:28 PM
CURSE YOU OLLY~Ansem

I'll take this time to tell you that I played Bill in Silver version (I forgot what version he had) and my Team who's powerhouse was a level 100 Mewtwo that know's Ice Punch picked him up by his ankles and shook him to see what falls out. I would have won bu the bell to go to class went off.

MateriaBladeVII
08-27-2004, 03:49 AM
I absolutely love this game! I've been playing it since I first entered junior high- so I have a lot of fond memories of it. I got out of it in the 8th grade and only recently got back into playing it. But now that I'm back, I'm totally happy with all the improvements they've made. Though, the newer Pokémon can't compare with the original 251.

Oh- and screw Ash and his quest for becoming a Pokémon master! I think that storyline is getting quite old... I think there should be a game completely about Team Rocket! Their triumphs, their failures, and just their all-around hijinx. I love Jessie, James, & Meowth! They rock!

By the way- that's my plan. I wanna take the Pokémon Yellow ROM (since that's the only Pokémon game that's ever featured them- or their sprites) and hack it so that I can kinda make a Team Rocket story for Pokémon for a change. I've found that the project was attempted once before, but the results weren't exactly the... best. That's why I need someone that's experienced in ROM hacking to help. So if anyone knows how, please PM me, k? Thanks!

Lord Xehanort
08-27-2004, 08:59 PM
CURSE YOU OLLY~Ansem

I'll take this time to tell you that I played Bill in Silver version (I forgot what version he had) and my Team who's powerhouse was a level 100 Mewtwo that know's Ice Punch picked him up by his ankles and shook him to see what falls out. I would have won bu the bell to go to class went off.

I will beat it! There has to be a way, and if anyone can find it, it's me! My Mew will fight and own you! I vow it on the life of MB7!

master01
08-27-2004, 11:53 PM
played all...
the games are good, nothing to great about theme but the music is relly good... that's the main reason i played the game in the first place. i mean, 151 monsters, and but a singel chocobo! just meeny old bike that want to eat you when your asleep!