PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Remedies

Kilika
08-22-2004, 04:37 AM
People all the time say that they've invented the cure for common things...like i don't know certain hang over remedies. It's not a pill but its rather something you do to get rid of it. What are your home made remedies? What do you use? What does it cure?

Tired of having an upset stomach? Tired of taking that disgusting pepto bismol? Well heres a good remedy! Get some salt and put it in your belly button, relax, and there you go.

Polyonymous
08-22-2004, 04:47 AM
Tired of having an upset stomach? Tired of taking that disgusting pepto bismol? Well heres a good remedy! Get some salt and put it in your belly button, relax, and there you go.

salt in your belly button? does that really work? i bet its just a psycological thing

nik0tine
08-22-2004, 04:50 AM
I'll have to try that sometime. I don't really know of any homemade remedies, except for marijuana, which can act like a pain killer.

Shlup
08-22-2004, 04:50 AM
Your bellybutton is your healing button, apparently.

The cure for car sickness is putting a penny in your bellybutton.

Meat Puppet
08-22-2004, 04:56 AM
I have a brilliant home remedy recipe, but I worry about the legalities of posting it here.

Giga Guess
08-22-2004, 05:04 AM
Cough during a brain-freeze. And I drink a LOT of Slushies, so I use this remedy a LOT!

-N-
08-22-2004, 05:27 AM
salt in your belly button? does that really work? i bet its just a psycological thing
Yeah, it kinda does. Indians have a crapload of weird ass herbal remedies. Some of them are just scary.

As far as hangovers go, I drink a lot of water before I go to sleep, or I just drink the right alcohols.
Prevention is the best cure. :D

nik0tine
08-22-2004, 05:30 AM
Prevention is the best cure. :D

Giga Guess
08-22-2004, 05:36 AM
Exactly. Me? I drink until I feel light and happy, then I just switch to water. I urinate a lot, but no hangover yet! ^_^

eestlinc
08-22-2004, 05:49 AM
the best way to prevent getting stupid colds and stuff is to stop washing your hands with antibacterial soap so much.

Erdrick Holmes
08-22-2004, 05:58 AM
Cure for insomnia, stay awake for about 2 whole days and the night of the third day you'll drop like a fly.

nik0tine
08-22-2004, 06:02 AM
The cure for excessive weightloss is to eat.

Strider
08-22-2004, 06:16 AM
Upset stomach? Drink some 7-Up.

eestlinc
08-22-2004, 06:23 AM
it's true, Strider. clear liquids are the best to drink on an upset stomach. well, maybe not vodka.

Erdrick Holmes
08-22-2004, 06:27 AM
Well vodka will eventually make you puke up whatever gave you a violent tummy ache. Also if you have a stomach ache you might be pregnent.

Strider
08-22-2004, 06:47 AM
I remember having an upset stomach in Europe after eating a lot of pizza one night. There was a vending machine nearby, but it was out of lemon lime soda. I ended up drinking Coke, and while it tasted ridiculously nasty, it did the job.

Just goes to show.

Kilika
08-22-2004, 06:58 AM

purely psycological. But then again...who knows...my great grandma used to tell my dad to do it when he had an upset stomach. It worked everytime....and even with myself. Who knows....?

Oh yeah and for pimples....well not the clusters together. Pop them! Clean them from all that nasty white goo, and then get a bandade and put some neosporin on it! It is an antibacterial gel that is used to clean wounds and heal them faster leaving less if no scar at all! cause all the stuff in a pimple is just bacteria anyway.

Unknown_Soldier
08-22-2004, 07:38 AM
Hiccups. put sugar under yer tongue. it works, i swear.

kikimm
08-22-2004, 07:40 AM
Oh yeah and for pimples....well not the clusters together. Pop them! Clean them from all that nasty white goo, and then get a bandade and put some neosporin on it! It is an antibacterial gel that is used to clean wounds and heal them faster leaving less if no scar at all! cause all the stuff in a pimple is just bacteria anyway.

Charming. ;)

But anyways...I don't think my family has any "homemade remedies". As far as that goes, it's basically, "deal with it, it'll go away sooner or later."

EDIT: Urg. I'm getting a really bad stomach ache right now...maybe I should try some salt?

:D

Giga Guess
08-22-2004, 02:56 PM
Yeah, my family's the same way, but that doesn't stop me from figgering out a few of my own.

tomothy
08-22-2004, 03:47 PM
This isn't really a remedy, but do not drink citrus juice before strenuous physical activities (i boffed my heart out learning this). Skinny milk about 15 minutes before sports is the best idea because it is low G.I. and those sports drinks are not good for you at all. :mad:

Rye
08-22-2004, 05:35 PM
Um... when I drink Poland Spring water immediatly after I first get hiccups, they go away. This usually works for me.

fire_of_avalon
08-22-2004, 06:29 PM
If you have an ear ache, heat up some extra virgin olive oil, pour it in, and let it sit for about fifteen minutes. Or use your own pee.

(I've never done the latter, but the former works wonders, actually.)

Giga Guess
08-22-2004, 08:36 PM
Apparently, urine nullifies the toxins from a jellyfish sting. *reminisces to that episode of Friends where they visit the ocean cabin....heh...*

nik0tine
08-22-2004, 09:25 PM
Apparently, urine nullifies the toxins from a jellyfish sting. *reminisces to that episode of Friends where they visit the ocean cabin....heh...*
So does vinnegar. or so i hear.

Giga Guess
08-22-2004, 09:31 PM
Let it be known, I have NO practical knowledge of this! Mostly because I'm so landlocked it hurts.... :shame:

fire_of_avalon
08-22-2004, 10:34 PM
So does vinnegar. or so i hear.
That it does. I have personal experience with that one :cry:

Giga Guess
08-22-2004, 10:45 PM
Eesh. Poor you. I'd think the vinegar would just make the wound BURN! But then uric acid wouldn't tickle either, I suppose.

Didja know that your urine is actually an effective means to clean your wounds. As it's coming out of your body, there are no unknown pathogens, and it's relatively sterile (The ick factor aside). But then, I'm unsure how sound this is, too.

Chaos
08-22-2004, 10:51 PM
When one has hiccups, one should hold your breath while swallowing three times. Then say 'purple'. It works.

I just try and cure ailments with a nice mug of milky hot tea. :D Might not work, but I like tea.

Chaos

Kilika
08-23-2004, 02:19 AM
yeah for hiccups i do the same thing. I just take the deepest breath and swallow. It works wonders! But i guess it doesn't work for that guy who has hiccups 24 hours a day. Poor guy.... :(

Rusty
08-23-2004, 06:31 AM
My family doesn't really have home made remedies that I can remember. It usually just goes like this...
Headaches: Ice pack and lots of panadol.
Stomach ache: Stretching, hot water bottle, hot tea and panadol and lemonade.
And mostly everything can be fixed with a cuppa thrown in.

Mahal Kita
08-23-2004, 07:56 AM
Well... these work for me. xP

Hiccups: Deep breaths and holding them.
Pimples: Well, my friend, I've been educated about these fine friends for years. If it's a cyst you can risk popping it and trying to get the stuff out, but better if you go to the dermatologist since they have "sanitary" tools.
Cramps: Water, heating pads, possibly heat in general (warm baths), exercise (if you can), not being irritable, and just doing stuff you like in a relaxed state.

nik0tine
08-23-2004, 08:05 AM
The homemade remedy to easing the pain after you have had your throat bashed in mosh pit is... oh wait there isn't one. damnit. (did that about an hour ago. ouch.)

Meat Puppet
08-23-2004, 09:51 AM
Eating yoghurt is a good way to get rid of a yeast infection.

Giga Guess
08-23-2004, 02:17 PM
Drinking milk with an upset stomach is not recommended. The bacteria cultures can upset what is already a bad problem.

K-chan
08-23-2004, 06:22 PM
Best cure for constipation: shave your head and do 100 sit ups

okay, that was random. Seriously though, my family's cure for eveything is tea.