PDA

View Full Version : FFIX explantion (Spoilers)

Lon611
08-26-2004, 05:05 AM
UNMARKED SPOILERS AT YOUR OWN RISK

okay, well, it's been a while since i;ve beaten ffix, and while i was replying to sum1 else's ffix thread, i realized, do i know wat the !@#$ actually happend?lol.

okay. the Iifa tree is a very complex thing, but it's not wat im concerned about. my concern is witht the ending. during the game, u never actually stop the assimilation between terra and gaia, right?or du u?im confused. wouldn't that make a better ending than, "lets be together and live happily ever after." DON"T POST SAYING THAT THE REASON THEY DID IS IT IS 4 EMOTION. No duh. i very much enjoyed the ending jus like all of u, but i always wondered, wouldn't terra assimilating gaia be a much better ending. not a happy one, mind you, but a good one (possibly better?) Duz it actually ever say what's happend, or am i forgetting sumthing?

kuja says the assimilation cannot be stoped, right?so....or is that explained when the red circle representing...terra and the blue one representing gaia fuse like in the last minute of the credits?im so confused. plz help out. also, i've heard rumors that garland is the same from ff1, becuz he says "we once tried to take over gaia by force" i think. isn't that cool how square did that if he is the same garland?

plz post, cuz im confused about the whole terra assimilation/terrans fusing with the gaian lifestream

Polyonymous
08-26-2004, 07:56 AM
hmmmmm..... now that you mention it, what ever did happen to terra and gaia? its been to long since i beat the game to remember.

Rostum
08-26-2004, 08:57 AM
Terra was destroyed by Kuja was it now?

Lon611
08-26-2004, 09:38 AM
my thoughts were that he just destroyed pandemonium, or bran bal, wat ever.iuno. thats part of why im askin

NightfallInfernal
08-26-2004, 10:18 PM
that is something I wondered as well another thing I didnt understand was the part with Vivi's kids, what the hell was that about? Oh and Lon611 can you please work on the spelling everytime I read one of your posts I become outraged due to the: U, R, tho and so on, spelling simple words like that is not difficult. ;)

Armisael
08-26-2004, 10:38 PM
my thoughts were that he just destroyed pandemonium, or bran bal, wat ever.iuno. thats part of why im askin
I think that he destroyed all Terra and about the terra and the blue one representing gaia fuse like in the last minute of the credits i believe that this represents Garnet-Zidane relationship,to how a genome and a human can live finally together.

Lon611
08-26-2004, 10:56 PM
my bad NightfallInfernal. its an old habit from txting on my cell fone :tongue: . i've tried to clean it up when im using the forums, but still...

now that you mention it, kuja did prolly destroy terra. isn't there an fmv of the gang barely escaping the destruction of the "planet". still, some clarification would be nice...

uhm, i always believed the red and blue sphere represented terra and gaia. in pandemonium, or terra, garland says something like the red thingy is the color of the flow of souls of the terrans and the blue is the color of the gaians, and soon terra will completely assimilate terra. but, it could also be that it represents zidane and dagger, since zidane is from terra and dagger is from gaia ;) .

some1 on another thread said that vivi died, and that it's him speaking during the ending, thanking every1 for this and that. but also, how does vivi have kids?isn't he just a prototype?my brain hurts now... :spin:

Armisael
08-26-2004, 11:01 PM
some1 on another thread said that vivi died, and that it's him speaking during the ending, thanking every1 for this and that. but also, how does vivi have kids?isn't he just a prototype?my brain hurts now... :spin:
Yeah i cannot understand this either.

Lon611
08-26-2004, 11:11 PM
you can't understand the vivi thing or my typing?lol

maybe we all just need to replay it. or to rewatch the ending. or to have ppl who are playing at the moment to comment. or we could just sit here and contemplate, lol

don't you think it kinda sux for freya that she finds that burmecian guy (her lover, forget his name), but he doesn't remember her :( . and would you have tried to save kuja, because you prolly would've tried to "wreck havoc on gaia" if you were in the same position.

oh,and my last question, is it me, or do other ppl out there use final fantasy plot scripts to reminisce when you don't feel like replaying the game...

Mo-Nercy
08-26-2004, 11:50 PM
*SOME UNMARKED SPOILERS*

I imagine that Kuja destroyed all of Terra, not just Bran Bal. If an Eidolon takes a 15 min cut-scene to destroy a city, surely Kuja's 15 minute hissy-fit was enough to make a whole planet crash and burn.

Loni, you're saying that the ending would've been heaps better if Terra had assimilated Gaia. Maybe. I haven't seen an ending to a game where the good guys lose in a while. However, Kuja's rage and his going into Trance scene would have been less effective and less capitivating. It's that little Kuja freak-out moment that makes the player feel sorry for him and understand this villian on a deeper level, which I find to be a very important part in the game. Also Zidane and Kuja's little reconciliation at the end was pretty necessary in showing their newly found "brotherhood."

Actually, the last half of the game is pretty much centered around making out Kuja to be more humane instead of a heartless Genome so Terra assimilating Gaia would be a pretty unexpected and weird ending that really wouldn't fit in with the rest of game up to that point.

:love: :love: :love:

Lon611
08-27-2004, 12:15 AM
who's Loni???lol.

i wouldn't call the assimaltion of gaia to be the characters "losing". i think they should've kept everything in the ending that they had, except instead of showing clips from the game in the credits (which i think they were a little bit obligated 2 do cuz of "memories of life"), they should've shown gaia being assimilated. like, zidane and dagger should be together because the world's coming to an end and they wan to spend the last moments together. iuno if that made ne sense, lol. :confused:

oooookay, i think i understand now. if what you say is true, that kuja destroys terra, that means no more terran souls to enter gaia, right?that's why zidane at the end specifically says "So what Kuja said was true... The Iifa Tree is beginning its violent reaction.". that's a direct quote. but wud some1 please specifically explain what the "violent reaction" is and what exactly causes it.

now im more lost than before :shame: . okay, if terra was destroyed by kuja, whats the point of going to memoria???im guessing it's to stop the mist that covers the entire planet right?or am i wrong?

lockeIX
08-27-2004, 03:28 PM
The point of going to Memoria is to stop Kuja, who's trying to destroy the crystal.

Armisael
08-27-2004, 03:37 PM
you can't understand the vivi thing or my typing?lol
The vivi thing,i like your typing.

Lon611
08-27-2004, 06:53 PM
u like my typing???thanx beatrix9 but that only makes two of us,lol. neways, how can going into memoria be about dtopping kuja cuz he's gonna destroy the crystal?i only remember the crystal being mentioned like the last hour or so.then again,havent played in awhile...

Armisael
08-27-2004, 09:18 PM
u like my typing???thanx beatrix9 but that only makes two of us,lol. neways, how can going into memoria be about dtopping kuja cuz he's gonna destroy the crystal?i only remember the crystal being mentioned like the last hour or so.then again,havent played in awhile...
Three of us-my sister likes it too-.Anyways i think that crystal is the source of life of all the planet and indeed Kuja wanted to destroy it cause a world like him would be unfair as he has mentioned.

Lon611
08-29-2004, 08:06 PM
Three of us-my sister likes it too-

tell ur sister thanx lol. :D

neways. can some1 tell me when exactly the first time you hear about the crystal is?that would help, thanx

Armisael
08-29-2004, 08:33 PM
tell ur sister thanx lol. :D

neways. can some1 tell me when exactly the first time you hear about the crystal is?that would help, thanx
My sister welcomes you. :D

Anyway the first time you hear about the crystal is in the 4th disc and particularly in Memoria.

Lon611
08-29-2004, 09:42 PM
exactly. there's no motive for you to follow kuja if you don't find about about the crystal until the 4th disk. unles im 4geting somethin. ne1 remember whats the motivation to go into memoria. is it stop the mist?

Armisael
08-29-2004, 10:09 PM
exactly. there's no motive for you to follow kuja if you don't find about about the crystal until the 4th disk. unles im 4geting somethin. ne1 remember whats the motivation to go into memoria. is it stop the mist?
Something like this.When you get out of Terra in the end of disc 3 there is a conversation about it in the airship which ends if i remember correctly with Zidane saying"Kuja what are you planning now?"seeing the mist covering the whole world.And then they're going to Iifa Tree-Memoria to find out about it and then it's when the crystal appears.

lockeIX
08-29-2004, 10:10 PM
I'm sorry, I forgot that you didn't learn about the crystal until you're in Memoria.

Yeah, the purpose is most likely to stop the mist. Been awhile since I played.

American Badass
08-30-2004, 04:57 AM
The purpose for them going into Memoria was to stop Kuja, who they assumed had caused the Iifa tree to start up and create obsene amounts of mist.

When they finally get into Memoria, that's when Garland clues Zidane in about what Kuja plans on doing and what the crystal is.

As for the Iifa tree's "violent reaction," it's what happens after the party is teleported away from their fight with Necron. When the thing is completely bugging out and the roots are actually ripping out of the ground and flying around like whips. That's what the violent reaction is, but there isn't anything that actually indicates what causes it. For that matter, there's nothing indicating why the Iifa tree started making mist again. I would assume that Kuja somehow got the Iifa tree to make mist again, and when Kuja was defeated, that's what caused the tree to throw a fit.

Lon611
08-30-2004, 05:27 AM
thank you American Badass. but im still confused about the assimilation of terra and gaia. you never actually stop the assimilation do you?kuja does, bcuz he destroys terra?or is the assimilation stropped bcuz the iifa tree had it's violent reaction?or is it stopped?

American Badass
08-30-2004, 01:39 PM
If FFIX's Online Ultimania was still up and running, I might be able to answer that question. As is, we don't know whether Kuja actually destroyed all of Terra or not, so there are a few scenarios.

1. Kuja did in fact destroy all of Terra. In this case, assimilation would stop because there was nothing left of Terra to assimilate into Gaia. The only thing that would be left behind would be the structures already assimilated into Gai.

2. Kuja only destroyed Bran Bal. In this case the assimilation of Terra and Gaia would continue despite the Iifa tree stopping and despite you beating Kuja. However, since the Iifa tree presumably stopped doing its function, the souls of the deceased Gaians would be able to travel back to the crystal according to the normal cycle of Gaian life.

iluvpenelo
09-15-2004, 02:39 PM
The assimilation could not be stopped, according to kuja. but when kuja went mad and destroyed bran bal, there was nothing there to assimilate with. so he went to the crystal to destroy the source of all life. something necron had been plotting since his existence, (kuja was essentially necrons bitch though he didnt know it at the time, and when the group killed kuja, necron couldnt let them live coz they knew about the crystal and therefore, they would try to stop him in his future plan to destroy it. it was easier for him to just kill them then and there.)

when the group killed necron, there was no threat to the crystal or to life itself, so life went on. I have worked this out but its been awhile since i first did it so that might not actually be it. i may have made some mistakes there but the theory i originally had was something like that (if not that) and it made sense

Dark bahamut
09-22-2004, 03:18 PM
well, i thought that when Kuja destroyed bran bal and all that lot, Terra was pretty much defeated? besides, with Garland gone, theres no-one for the terra peoples to be woken by :D and yes i know, thats basic logic

Ouch!
09-22-2004, 07:39 PM
Necron didn't want to destroy the crystal, Necron was there to end life once the meaning of life became understood. Necron was the guardian of the crystal that was vaguely hinted at a couple times. When Kuja tried to destroy all life in his fit for revenge because of the meaning for his creation, Necron thought he had discovered the meaning to live: to die. Zidane challenged that view and fought Necron. He didn't destroy Necron, as Necron will always live as long as the crytsal exists (though because all memories and life go back to the crystal, you could argue that nobody ever truly dies), but Zidane's will to live showed Necron that he was wrong.

At least that's my interpretation of that whole deal.

As for the assimilation of Terra and Gaia, I also got the impression that Kuja wasted Terra.

iluvpenelo
09-23-2004, 05:18 PM
bingo

Cloudane
10-03-2004, 09:35 PM
Regarding the point about Freya someone mentioned, I remember playing this game at about the same time Harold Bishop returned to the oz soap "Neighbours" (yes I was lame enough to watch it at the time) and it was like a parallel story between Freya/Wotshisname and Madge/Harold, almost exactly the same... lost for years, the guy lost his memory but by chance fell in love again etc. Ever since then I've imagined Freya's voice as that of Madge :D

TasteyPies
10-03-2004, 09:47 PM
I have the same problem, I can barely remeber playing it at all.

Flashback007
10-04-2004, 10:56 AM
I'm sorry, I forgot that you didn't learn about the crystal until you're in Memoria.

Yeah, the purpose is most likely to stop the mist. Been awhile since I played.

I don't think so, don't forget, they travell true Memoria to get to Kuja, who's going to destroy the Chrystal. And the first time the Mist disapeared was when they defeated that creature in the Iifa Tree. So, maybe is this an idea:

the chrystal keeps all memories from people, yeah, we agree on that. what about that memoria is nothing else then the memories from Zidane. I think that makes sense, yes. So what if it is nothing else then that Zidane is in the Chrystal fighting his memories. He discoveres how important they are to him (with the help of Garland) and wants to prevent Kuja from destroying the Chrystal.

Then the matter of Freya and her lover. He lost his memory, yeah?? What about that it has a linking to the Chrystal. Maybe he was that close to death, that his memories were already taken away. But because he lived, he doesn't remember anything.

Necron is up next. We have seen various enemies troughout the FF-series who absorbed HP and MP, what about that indeed Necron is the Guardian of the Chrystal, but instead op HP or MP he absorbes memories, leaving the people to forget things. And indeed as long as the Chrystal excist he does excist. Something like......a memory?

The destruction of Gaia. I don't think Gaia was ever destructed. I find it hard to believe that one guy, with a few shots of Ultima can destroy an entire planet without help from something else. Don't forget only the structures colided. Zidane and his friends escaped in time to not be crushed by pieces of the structures. The reason that Gaia didn't merge with Terra was that it in my eyes was needed that someone took care of it, there were three peoples who could do that:
Zidane, who didn't want to
Kuja, who's get mad and doesn't do a thing
Garland, who died
So without help to merge Gaia didn't merge in to Terra, but the planet still excist.

Then something else about the summoners-tribe. I have an interesting idea about it. Why did Gaia (in the name of Kuja and Garland) ever attacked this tribe. Why do they want the summons? Easy the summoners were once habbitants of Gaia. In my opinion one day the moved to Terra. When Garland (cause he's old enough) found out what a pleasent place Terra was to live on he want to merge Gaia with Terra. Only he knows that the peacefull summoners wouldn't let that happen. So he sends out that spacship and destroys the summonerstribe. But Garnet and her mother escaped as well as Eiko and her grandfather. Once Garland found out that Garnet was still alive he send out Kuja to capture her. Kuja failed so he send out Zidane, but when Zidane came in to sight, suddenly Kuja wants to complete his job. So he steals the summons, but Garland takes this as an offence and punishes Kuja when Kuja tries to steal Alexander. The stealing failed as well as the stealing of Eiko's summons, thanks to Mog. But why do they want the summons? Because with the summons they can easily destroy everyone on Terra, with that out of the way Gaia can easily merge with Terra.

The last thing I want to say is about the kids of Vivi. Kuja produced them with the help of Mist to destroy the Kingdoms, and he tries to advance them. You notice by Type A, Type B etc. The Black Waltz were made only once to protect the types. What if Vivi was a proto-type of the newest Black Mage, only when the transported him he felt of the ship and because they didn't knew if he would work, they did build more. But when Kuja was defeated and everyone lived in peace. Zidane and his friends knew that "prototype" Vivi worked so that they made more of him.

Ok, these or my thoughts about some things. Please don't give me a hit if my spelling isn't correct (I'm still Dutch :p), maybe it's to long and annoying, but I just want to say my thoughts on this

sayen
10-21-2004, 11:45 AM
Necron cannot die as long as there is death and is not conneted to merorise at all necron was created to bring everything to nothing by destroying the crystal and he tell zidane and crew what the meaning of life is and after you kill him he says I will never be defeated as long as there is life and death it is the crystal that absorbs the memorys of people and not necron who only gets stronger after every death

Tanwen Strife
10-23-2004, 12:09 AM
I feel like such an idiot for asking this but it has been over a year since I even picked up the box. Terra and Gaia. which one is the big stupid blue place (hehe, Ikea ads are funny)

Armisael
10-23-2004, 12:00 PM
blue place?i think you're talking about terra..