PDA

View Full Version : Crappy final bosses

UltimaLimit
08-26-2004, 06:59 AM
I have played Final Fantasy 7, 9, Tactics, and have recently started 4 (after which I will begin ChronoTrigger). In all three of aforementioned beaten games, the final bosses suck. I can kill Safer Sephiroth in a few turns with 4xCut.

Whatshisface, from FF9, I have to admit caused me trouble the first time through because I was unprepared for all the status effects, but even so Freija just kept using Lancer over and over (LANCERS ROCK!) and he fell after the 100th or so Lancer. (Good thing, his latest attack left her with a Death Sentence count of 2 and she was the only one left.) Second time I fought him I came properly equipped and made short work of him.

That ArchAngel boss thing from Tactics was a nuiscance, but no more.

And another thing--why do final bosses always appear in pairs? BIZZARO/SAFER Sephiroth, Kuja/whatshisface (someone please remind me of the names), the two demon/archangel forms... are they so weak they have to band together to (try to) survive?

Kuja
08-26-2004, 12:09 PM
most of the final bosses aren't weak, but almost every one try's to max up before fighting the final boss. it's easy that way, but if you are on the regular levels it's pretty hard i think.

and they always come in a pair cuz it's harder to beat them then, when you have defeated one, your not fully healed so it's easyier for the second boss to kill you. but if your maxed up, its a piece o' cake !

Jolts
08-26-2004, 08:30 PM
ArchAngel boss thing = St. Ajora
whatshisface = Necro

Like Kuja said, if you don't pump up your characters before fighting the final boss, it'll be a little bit more of a challenge. Try running through the game without actually levelling up intentionally (no runing in circles), that should give you a good challenge.

Ultima Shadow
08-26-2004, 10:33 PM
whatshisface = Necro

Actually, it's Necron. NecroN. Oh, well. :rolleyes2
Anyway, while Kuja and Jolts are rigth... I also have to agree with UltimaLimit that most FF final bosses are way to weak.
Yes, they are more challanging when you'r not completely max leveled and all that stuff... but they'r still to weak. A FINAL boss should really be something great! I mean, the battle should normaly take atleast 1 hour and with the average party you should fail atleast 7-10 times before you beat the boss. :)

-N-
08-26-2004, 10:47 PM
Try fighting Safer at level 51 with Neo Bahamut as your strongest summon. That's how I did VII the first time.

Armisael
08-26-2004, 10:48 PM
Actually, it's Necron. NecroN. Oh, well. :rolleyes2
Anyway, while Kuja and Jolts are rigth... I also have to agree with UltimaLimit that most FF final bosses are way to weak.
Yes, they are more challanging when you'r not completely max leveled and all that stuff... but they'r still to weak. A FINAL boss should really be something great! I mean, the battle should normaly take atleast 1 hour and with the average party you should fail atleast 7-10 times before you beat the boss. :)
I agree with Ultima Shadow for the first time....no wrong,second.

Ultima Shadow
08-27-2004, 06:48 AM
But you've only dissagreed with me 1 time. :p

Oh, and princeofdarknez... try him without materia, with solo character and only the first equipment. Crap, that was my 4th hardest boss battle ever. :eek:

UltimaLimit
08-27-2004, 06:51 AM
Try fighting Safer at level 51 with Neo Bahamut as your strongest summon. That's how I did VII the first time.
Maybe I'll do it on my cousin's file. She's always running from fights (so her characters are weak for some reason :rolleyes2 ), and then turns around and asks me for help with some boss. I always end up getting beaten within an inch of (Cloud's) life before saving the day.

The bosses are of moderate strength, but really you don't even need to be pumped up to win (though it certainly helps). In the end, every single time I've lost a fight in Final Fantasy has been because of bad planning (ie, not equipping properly or using the wrong strategy). For example, Lost Number in ShinRa Mansion once killed me because I had weak Aeris and Tifa in my party and I forgot Cloud had the Fury Ring equipped (not equipping properly), plus I was just messing with him at first and not really attacking (wrong strategy)(plus plain stupidity on my part) so he killed me. Point is, it's mostly brains. The only time you seriously need to take a look at brawn is when you are severely outmatched (such as Emerald and Ruby weapon).

The final bosses' greatest advantage is psychological. You think, "Oh, man, I bet they're really tough", and then they turn out to be pansies. There's also the element of surprise (not knowing they can counter with Grand Cross or not knowing they can hit all characters with 8000-damage AND all status effects in one turn, for example). (Hey, wait--that is Grand Cross!) Plus as Kuja mentioned they attack in pairs, so they can hit you when you're not at your best, but this is easily countered by Megalixers and the like. (Hey, you're at the final boss--that's WHY you've been saving those 'lixers!)

This post is pretty long. I'll try to keep it shorter in future, I swear. (The Grand Cross animation could have played 20+ times in the time I took to type this.)

Lon611
08-27-2004, 07:15 AM
first, i count kuja and necron as 2 seperate bosses. not a "pair" even tho they're consecutive battles. and i don't know how well your characters are built, but grand cross DID NOT do 8000 damage to each of my characters. it wud've been impossible to beat him. isn't the max hp in ix only 9999?!?!?!

newayz, i agree with the intimidation factor. when fighting braskas final aeon in ffx, just bcuz of his size i was like "uh oh. here comes the whooping.mommy?" ok, not that extreme, but u get my point. then, he turns out to be a candy azz. lol, kinda funi i used spoilers 4 dat. i like how 9 was set up though. i thought kuja was the final boss, then came necron, and the intimidation factor happend again.

yah, the reason why final bosses suck is bcuz ppl go crazy on lvling up. me personally, i don't like lvling up neways, so it works out bcuz i can enjoy the difficulty. plus, by the end of the game u're given something that completely destroys all opposing...uhm...opponents, for example, hidden aeons in ffx.

aeris2001x2
08-27-2004, 05:59 PM
actually i thought Safer Sephiroth and Necron were worthy bosses. easy overall, but worthy.

and Necron is probably the third hardest ff last boss (after Zeromius and Neo-X-Death), so he is not that bad really.

the only last boss i thought was completly pathetic was ffX-2Vegnegun/Shuyin .

Ultima Shadow
08-27-2004, 07:23 PM
It seems like the final bosses keep getting easier. FFIV-FFV= Truely whorty. FFIV-FFIX= Whorty. FFX= Unwhorty. FFX2= :rolleyes2.

Lon611
08-27-2004, 07:52 PM
well, it also depends how crazy you lvl up 2. if you're practically invincible, then the last couple bosses shouldn't pose a problem. i think the reason why earlier bosses are harder is because you don't have aeons/eidolons/gf's (guardian forces, NOT girlfriends, lol), overdrives, and spcl skill techniques that really help.

i posted this in my ffx thread, i think, but do you think bosses/ the games are getting easier so more of the public can finish and "marvel" at the greatness of the plot?u can't really do that if you can't beat hte las boss...

Jolts
08-27-2004, 09:48 PM
I don't think final bosses have to be hard. I mean, if you wanted a challenge, go fight the Super Bosses, duh :p.

Ultima Shadow
08-27-2004, 09:56 PM
I don't think final bosses have to be hard. I mean, if you wanted a challenge, go fight the Super Bosses, duh :p.
Bah! I want a good showdown, not to press the attack button 2 times.

Jolts
08-27-2004, 10:00 PM
But, when they have low HP, you can do a dramatic effect and use your strongest limit with whoever should be pissed off the most to take them down in one turn!

Oh yeah, that's how it should be (like if FFVII...).

Kilika
08-27-2004, 10:06 PM
I say that the bosses are too easy when at max level as everyone said before....so maybe they should make it so that you have to max out and still make it hard as hell! It would be more fun cause you can feel invincible but really get a challenge aat the end of the game!

But yeah....FFX.......that final boss..........auto......I'm done talking..... :mad:

UltimaLimit
08-28-2004, 10:10 PM
But, when they have low HP, you can do a dramatic effect and use your strongest limit with whoever should be pissed off the most to take them down in one turn!

That's what the Sephiroth/Cloud final showdown is for. The one where you only have Omnislash only, where even if you don't attack, Sephiroth will attack for about 8000, you'll counter for about 2000, and he'll die anyways. Use that for your revenge kicks. (And if you say Tifa should kill him, too bad. :) )

Jolts
08-29-2004, 12:36 AM
That's what the Sephiroth/Cloud final showdown is for. The one where you only have Omnislash only, where even if you don't attack, Sephiroth will attack for about 8000, you'll counter for about 2000, and he'll die anyways. Use that for your revenge kicks.
What'd you think I meant when I said "(like in FFVII...)"?
There should be one of those in every game from now on! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

sorry

Giga Guess
09-06-2004, 05:37 PM
Think about it this way...how many people d'you think just threw their controller against the wall at some point through FF4, and just said " :love::love::love::love: it!" Then, the whole ending, and a lot of story is lost to them. Easy final bosses mean that you get to see the whole (Or at least most of) the story fairly easy. I mean, a good challenge is good, so I presume that's why they added the Ultimate bosses. I liked Kefa's battle, though. Easy enough to be possible without INSANE levelling up, but tough enough to still pose a challenge.