PDA

View Full Version : Baby drowns...what do you think of it!?!

DragonflyLex
08-26-2004, 03:23 PM
Anyways, this week has been a sad week in my mom's side of the family. My moms cousins son Noah who was 15 months old (almost 16 months) died last Saturday. His mother had let him play outside with his cousins, his two older brothers who are 9 and 7, and his sister who is like 5, while she(the mother) was doing her sisters hair. The two oldest boys came in the house and told there mom that they didn't know where Noah was. He had wandered away. So, they started looking in the yard. Didn't see him. They looked in the Forest Preserve behind the house. She couldn't find him. Then the mother went to the pool to check(where her sister had checked before, but didn't see anything). She found him in the pool, sitting at the bottom. She immediately started CPR on him. But he had already been in that pool for at least 15 minutes. After about 3 minutes, the body starts shutting down. The hospital also tried working on him for a while, but it was just too late. He was dead. When they found him in the pool (which was a 4 foot or 4 1/2 deep pool), the water was only 3 feet deep because they were draining it, because they were closing the pool for winter. They had the solar cover on too, which may have prevented a big splash sound. When he fell in, had must of slipped under the cover. Why they even had the stupid solar cover on, I don't know. When you are draining a pool, you don't keep the solar cover on(know this because my family owns a pool). Not unless you want to get into the pool and have to grab the whole thing out. Which is very stupid.

To make matters worse, someone called DCFS, you know that stupid organization that can take your children away if they are neglected...blah blah blah blah! Well, DCFS came and took away the two oldest sons, which in a short time the mothers aunt and uncle got to take them. Then, the daughter was taken to the fathers sisters house. So, that DCFS or whoever could make sure the whole thing with a baby was an accident, and if it wasn't neglect or child endangerment. I'm sorry, but if my youngest child had just died and then the rest of my children were taken away with me, i'd go nuts. I wouldn't know what to do. First, one is taken away from me permanently, and then the other three are taken away for maybe permanently. I would probably go down into a deep depression, as so would A LOT of other people. Whoever called DCFS should or NEEDS to stay out of peoples business, or should die for just being a total bitch/asshole. I'd like to how they would like it if they were in that position. They wouldn't like it one bit. Anyways, after 2 days, the mother got the kids back. Thank god. It was all unnecessary anyways. But to make matters worse later on when everyone found out, I guess the fathers two brothers were yelling at him and his wife, because it could of been easily prevented. But then when they found out that it was just the mother and not the father that was there. They started yelling at her even more. Yes, thank you very much family for making the whole situation a lot more worse. JERKS!!! I swear I would go off. Then at the Wake supposedly they were all mad at the mother of the child because she wasn't showing no emotion what so ever. Soorrrryyyy, but maybe she's still SHOCK or maybe she just is so Blah that she just feels like it's all just a dream, or maybe she's trying to be really really really strong. Maybe she's one of those people that doesn't like breaking down in front of people. Even though the father of the child did it several times at the Wake. If they were smart, and not so idiotic, they would focus on the DEAD CHILD more instead of the their idiotic self making situations worse, and instead on focusing on what could've been. :mad:

Resha
08-26-2004, 03:32 PM
Oh my gawrsh...that's so bad. And sad. :cry: They should have been careful with the pool, when there's a baby around. I think what the DCFS did was ridiculous...it was an accident! I'd go nuts too. :( :( :( :(

Armisael
08-26-2004, 03:54 PM
Oh my gawrsh...that's so bad. And sad. :cry: They should have been careful with the pool, when there's a baby around. I think what the DCFS did was ridiculous...it was an accident! I'd go nuts too. :( :( :( :(

War Angel
08-26-2004, 04:02 PM
I beg to differ. I believe child neglection is a CRIME. Letting your one year-old kid wander about, un-attended or looked after, is a hideously irresponsible thing to do, showing of either complete stupidity, or complete indifference. Small kids should never be left alone - only when in their crib, or some other safe place.

I'm sure that mother is devestated (at least, I hope she is.. if not, that's scary), but that doesn't mean she's not guilty of child neglegence. Such a person should NOT be allowed to have any children, and the protection of the childrens' lives ('cause, from what you've written, it seems she doesn't do it herself) is more important than the mother's mental well-being.

Resha
08-26-2004, 04:14 PM
They should have been more careful with the pool.

FreaQaZoiD
08-26-2004, 04:20 PM
I agree wiv War Angel, but this is a really shitty thing to happen...

~~~FreaQ

fire_of_avalon
08-26-2004, 05:00 PM
I'm very torn on this situation because of my previous experience with a department which is probably the equivalent of DCFS or whatever, the Department of Social Services. I agree that the mother should've been much more attentive and prevented things like this. Small children + pools don't mix, EVER. I believe the best thing to do would be to have the children living with foster parents, though their own parents should be allowed visitation rights, until the parents prove themselves capable.

DragonflyLex
08-26-2004, 11:55 PM
Yes, I do agree that it could of been very much prevented. They shouldn't of let the kid out there, even all those other children that were outside. If I were the mother, I would be rather paranoid if my child went anywhere near that pool. I still think the DCFS was stupid though. It was told in TWO NEWSPAPERS that it was an ACCIDENT. :cry:

Thunday Man
08-27-2004, 12:01 AM
Sorry for the bad news, but it did sound like the parents should have been watching him.

TheAbominatrix
08-27-2004, 12:02 AM
Of course it was an accident, but it was also an easily preventable one, and the mother is still responsible for letting a child wander about anywhere near a body of water alone... or alone at all.

Thunday Man
08-27-2004, 12:12 AM
I agree completely. Even though the child was still playing with relatives, the mother/father still should look over them.

Sephex
08-27-2004, 12:23 AM
Yes, it could have been easily preventable. I can see an investigation. But I CAN'T see taking the other children away.

Lon611
08-27-2004, 12:32 AM
first of all, im deeply sorry for you and your family and i send my deepest regards. :shame:

but i would like to take a sec to, in a way, defend DCFS (department of children and family services). my mother is the highest level social worker you can be, and you wouldn't believe the stories she tells of child neglect. sometimes i want to cry because the things some parents do is just disgusting. yes, what happend to the baby is tragic. it was an accident, but in order to protect the other children, they need to ABSOLUTELY make sure it was an accident. maybe the other children wouldn't have drowned, but DCFS needs to make sure she's not the type of mom who forgets them at the mall, or leaves the stove on overnight, etc. seeing as she allows pre-teens to play in the backyard with a 15 month old with no supervision with a pool, it is a tight call.

also, newspapers are propaganda and are opinions from some random guy who writes for them. but the governmet (DCFS is government) needs to make sure it's an accident, no matter what ne1 says. i'd go crazy too if it was my children that were taken away, but still, protecting your baby child is TOP PRIORITY over braiding hair. sorry if this post seems a little arrogant, but even if you're family you need to COMPLETELY understand both sides.

im still devasted though, because someone that young shouldn't have to leave this world that young, without a chance...send my regards

Ryth
08-27-2004, 12:35 AM
The child's death is very very sad and maybe the childern shoulda been taken so this won't happen again child neglection is a very serious crime I have to agree. Poor kid :cry: :cry: :cry:.....(sniff)

Dixie
08-27-2004, 01:06 AM
All I have to say is this:

:cry:

Logan
08-27-2004, 01:12 AM
I beg to differ. I believe child neglection is a CRIME. Letting your one year-old kid wander about, un-attended or looked after, is a hideously irresponsible thing to do, showing of either complete stupidity, or complete indifference. Small kids should never be left alone - only when in their crib, or some other safe place.
I agree. I feel bad though, that baby should never have drowned. :( If someone was watching him, he would never have died. What a waste of life.

TasteyPies
08-27-2004, 01:15 AM
Am I the only one to find it ironic that Noah died of drowning? .......scaaaary :cry:

Anyway....an accident is an accident. You can't rehabilitate or punish someone to stop them from making mistakes. It will only make people "think twice" for a while and taking their children away doesn't do anything besides take them away from their mother and move them into a home where adjustment issues may occur or move them into an orphanage. (both suck) Im sureafter loosing one precious bundle of joy none of her other children will drown. My advice, destroy the pool.

Soul Vagabond
08-27-2004, 01:46 AM
One so young... :( It's really a shame. But it brings to mind a situation that we have.

There's an apartment complex near our home that's home to many YOUNG children. The area is prone to gangs, drug dealers, and such, but you see these little rugrats running around without any adult supervision what so ever. Not to mention that people who live there usually need to brake for the kids because they run right out in front of their cars... I just don't understand some parents. If there's a chance that your kids are gonna get hurt, you've gotta watch them. No if's and's or but's about it. One of these days someone's precious child is going to become victim of a terrible accident, and the parent's not going to be there to help him because he/she's off doing something else...

I'm sorry. I just don't see how parents can let a young child out of their sight and not worry.