PDA

View Full Version : Auto = No Extra Effects?

Jolts
08-26-2004, 08:47 PM
Okay, I've been using Yuffie to morph the creatures in the Gelnika to get sources. That's nothing new, I know, but my problem is with the materia setup I'm using for her.

She is equip like so:

Weapon: Master Command=HP Absorb, Morph=Sneak Attack, Morph=Counter

Well, there's more, but that's all that's important.

On to my troubles. Whenever she uses Morph on a Sneak Attack or Counter, she does not absorb any HP. Is it supposed to be that way? I've tried this with other types of materia, and whenever something is used automatically (not manually inputted), any extra effect (HP/MP Absorb, Steal As Well, etc...) doesn't work. However, when Sneak Attacking, having a Mega-All still works, but not when Countering.

-N-
08-26-2004, 09:37 PM
HP Absorb is only triggered by Master Command. When you Sneak Attack, you're triggering the Morph materia, not the Master Command materia. Thus, HP Absorb is not triggered. Mega-All works because it is Independent and thus applies globally to all the character's actions.

DJZen
08-27-2004, 05:35 AM
Yeah, if you want that to work you're probably going to have to work a mime in there somewhere. I'm going to recommend counter=mime, HP absorb=morph.

Jolts
08-27-2004, 08:44 AM
No, I've tried this by replacing the 'Morph=Counter' with 'Morph=MP Absorb,' and neither HP nor MP were absorbed when Sneak Attacking.

Carnage
08-27-2004, 09:13 AM
You wont absorb Hp or Mp if you kill the enemie in one hit

Jolts
08-27-2004, 09:30 AM
Okay, I'll be even more specific.

Yes, you can absorb if the hit kills. It does so when manually input, but not when Sneak Attacked or Countered.
Same deal when I use 'Master Command=HP Absorb' instead of 'Morph=Absorb.' I can absorb it when manually attacking, but when it's Sneak Attacked or Countered, it won't work.

All I was asking is if this happens to anyone else, but none of you seem to have even tried it...

DJZen
08-28-2004, 01:15 AM
That's right, it won't work, that's because you've got the setup wrong. That's because you would need to have sneak attack hooked up to morph and hp absorb, which can't happen. You can't link 3 materia together, it's just too cheap. There's no way around it other than to use mime. Why is this? Because you may have hp absorb hooked up to one morph materia, but unless it's the SAME morph materia, you won't get the same results. You can either counter with morph, or have morph absorb hp. You can't do both at once without a mime materia. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Jolts
08-28-2004, 06:12 AM
But see, if I set it up this way:

Morph/Master Command=MP Absorb, Morph/Master Command=HP Absorb

and attack with Morph, it'll absorb both HP and MP, but it won't allow HP/MP Absorb and Sneak Attack/Counter? That's just not fair. The Bradygames guide book even says you can Sneak Attack with HP/MP Absorb, but that book has been proven wrong in many different cases, so I won't rely on that.

Oh well, I'm over it now. I'll just do my manual inputting to absorb the damage I do, no biggie.

-N-
08-28-2004, 06:16 AM
Where's Sneak Attack and/or Counter in that setup anyways? As DJZen said, you can't tri-link materia. That or Mime is the only way to get the results you're looking for; I'm positive of it.

Jolts
08-28-2004, 06:39 AM
Okay, look at my first post, it shows the full setup. Apparently, if you automatically attack (Counter/Sneak Attack), then any other special effects will be ignored, except All (or Mega All).

aeris2001x2
08-29-2004, 02:38 AM
exactly. it seems countering or sneak attacking is considered different by the game then a normal attack...hence-an attack using this set up *Weapon: Master Command=HP Absorb, Morph=Sneak Attack, Morph=Counter"

will only absorb hp when attacking normally.

i guess its the same reason u cant counter counters. counters r programmed by the game to Counter= Attacks, not Counterattacks.