PDA

View Full Version : stupid newb subjob questions

Launcelot
08-27-2004, 09:09 AM
i recently aquired my abilty to have a sub job now i have a couple questions on this matter...

1. after i have chosen a sub job is there any way to take it back off without picking a differant one? like can i go back to only having one job...
2. my main job is going to be whm...i am currently leveling theif in order to use it for farming...is there any other non common combonations anybody would suggest...i mean you see far too many whm/blm or whm/rdm or whm/sum its enough to make me queezy...

UltimateSpamGrover
08-27-2004, 10:43 AM
Q #1 :after i have chosen a sub job is there any way to take it back off without picking a differant one? like can i go back to only having one job...

A: There is a glitch when there is a lot of lag, but I'm going to let you find that out for yourself :)

Q #2. my main job is going to be whm...i am currently leveling theif in order to use it for farming...is there any other non common combonations anybody would suggest...i mean you see far too many whm/blm or whm/rdm or whm/sum its enough to make me queezy...

A: try BRD/WHM or WHM/BRD

Just my 2K

Ichy
08-27-2004, 04:34 PM
No, there is no legal way to have only one job, and as for the afforementioned glitch, I've never heard of it and I've been playing at this since the game came out in NA. Why on earth would you want to have no sub after going through all the trouble of getting it? Even a lvl1 sub, however minor it may be, still provides you with nothing but an advantage.

Don't ever sub BRD. Straight. You'll kill everything that's useful about the job by cutting it's effective ability in half. If you're playing WHM, sub BLM for variety and extra MP. Alternatively, if you can get advanced jobs (lvl30+, after quests), try subbing a lvled SMN job and you'll find you have the most superior MP boost, as well as faster MP regeneration.

Lionx
08-28-2004, 10:01 AM
A WHM/BRD post 50 can work well in parties without a BRD. Of course you cannot ever be expected to be the main refresher, but Ballad can help MP Regen rate and with a RDM it will be noticable. While you say that it has long cast times, it is however, nulled in that it hits every single mage within the area of effect, and therefore the effects are Ballad x how many mages and the PLD. Also a Madrigal before every fight post 50 helps. Evasion really hikes to a new lvl and hence why most melee buy themseleves a Life Belt(which is ironically a lifesaver for them, and yet some melee need MORE accuracy). While it will never be as effective as a real Madrigal, it will still provide accuracy up which will indeed be invaluable. But this is of course good only AFTER 50 with Ballad for maximum effect, and of course in those RARE parties with BRDs, this subjob is completely useless. So WHM/BRD is a valid subjob post 50 IMO. That is probably what i am going for in my SPT.

SMN however i disagree on the fact before lvl 50 because simply you do not get Auto Refresh. While you only get an extra 30 MP from the job. That does not even compensate slightly for Elemental Seal from BLM or Fast Cast from RDM, and not to mention other utility spells. You also lose out on Conserve MP if you sub SMN before 40 and then it doesnt offer Auto Refresh. In the end its always the rate of MP Regen for everyone, and the usage of MP that is better than max MP.

That lag thing i heard lets you take out SJ, tho theres no reason in doing so other than a personal entertainment thing. Best to put it back on before exping.

EDIT: You also would like to follow the general trend to maximize your job's potential, there are reasons why there are so many of those becuase they benefit the 5 other people in the party who also pay the monthly fee, and there to gain max exp. The point of these subjobs is that they are viable and they benefit you and the party the most. Party before self. Be happy that you can choose from SMN RDM BLM and BRD as subjobs and considered to be of some use. PLDs can only sub WAR for their role.

Grand Lethal
08-29-2004, 04:40 AM
I have seen some nice WHM/SMN since I've started, but just at lower levels. It is nice to have some of those SMN buffs in the early stages in the game. However, I am quite enjoying WHM/BLM. Its nice to be able to Burst and enfeeble a little better in a PT (especially today when I was ina PT with 2 NIN in Altepa, and felt quite useless as a healer), plus it gives a nice enough MP boost, and I find that my Banish spells are doing quite a bit more damage than they used to :)

I haven't leveled RDM at all yet, but have seen my wife play WHM/RDM and it desn't seem like anything overly special... fast cast only kicks in once you hit 30 with WHM, and the Ent- spells are all but useless unless you are soloing, and even at that, you get much better results out of BLM spells.

As for /BRD I was surprised being in a party without a bard, but with a WAR/BRD, and it was quite helpful (this was in Valk mind you), the regen was nice for me as a WAR Taru, and it helped out our pathetic excuse for a WHM. I don't think I'd ever have the balls to try it, but it can work I suppose.

I'd like to say "Play the game how you want to", but all the elitest players have turned this into a cookie cutter game, so if you don't follw the rules, you won't get invites... kinda sucks.

Lionx
08-30-2004, 12:04 AM
At Valkurm, ANYTHING works...=/ But the basic cookie cutter jobs still prevail in usefulness. The thing is, in Valkurm, a 5 WAR 1 WHM party works..abit slow....and believe in i tried that in beta....it works..but after...you wish. Therefore anything under 20 shouldnt really be taken into account IMO.

The /SMN buffs really cost alot, you dont get Aerial Armor til like lvl 40ish anyway, and that costs a hefty 100MP...which is..bleh, could be spent better. Abilities and spells make the game, and SMN Blood Pacts arent worth it, and even after 50 with Auto-Refresh, i dont still like SMN sub becuase you only get Refresh and bad abilities. As /BLM INT helps Divine magic the little times you use it, and you get Conserve MP, Elemental Seal, and etc. INT affects BLM enfeebles so its..ok i guess. But you always better with WHM MND enfeebles.

/RDM is not recommended, but to me, its alot better than SMN sub, not the best sub RDM is, but its not horrible.