PDA

View Full Version : how good is FFV?

Polyonymous
08-27-2004, 10:32 PM
how good is FFV, i plan on playing it but i would like to know a little bit about it first (good and bad please), aslo what consul is it on? i want to play through all of the FF series.

Storm
08-27-2004, 11:27 PM
The plot and characters are pretty weak, but it's fun to play around with the job system.

aeris2001x2
08-28-2004, 12:24 AM
contary to popular belief i think the characters and story are actually quite strong. its about as good as ffIV in my opinion.

its just the first half is weak and puts ppl off and the main villain is just evil 4 the sake of it.

the job systerm does kick ass though. one of the best for game play. just get through the first half's mediocreness and your fina a brillant game.

u can get it on PS2 with ffIV.

ShivaBlizzard8
08-28-2004, 02:10 AM
SYSTEM:
It can be played either as a ROM on the computer or as part of FF Anthology for the PSX (I've heard Anthology doesn't always work on PS2, and its listed as one of the few games not backwards compatable by Sony).

PROS:
As mentioned, 5 has an excellent job system, probably the best of the FF series. Makes for really interesting strategy and gameplay.

The characters are pretty solid; although the main character, Bartz, is somewhat lacking in the personality department, he gets some good backstory about his parents, and his fellow characters are quite interesting and have a few plot twists. I'm a big fan of Faris myself.

The game isn't frustratingly hard, but it's not easy either; definately falls in the range of a fun challenge.

I like the music, but that could just be me. :)

CONS:
The Antholgy translation is not the best, and has met with plenty of grumbles, but if you go into it expecting some cheesy pirate languge and food product names, you'll be fine. ;)

The graphics are 16-bit, just to be aware. But they're still cute.

The story isn't exactly gripping, but its okay. There are a lot of repetitions of finding the four this and then the four of that and the 12 of these - that kind of thing. Very old-school RPG. But character stuff is good.

OVERALL:
I really enjoyed it, much to my surprise. A solid game, and a must-play for an FF fan.

Del Murder
08-28-2004, 05:35 PM
The job system is great but the story and characters are not as good as FFIV. Still, the job system is great. And so is the music. Three stars ***

eestlinc
09-02-2004, 01:35 AM
This is on eof the true gems of the Final Fantasy series. The gameplay is unsurpassed and the story and characters are a pleasant break from the overrought melodramatics of other FF games. I think the characters are very compelling yet not annoying, and the storyline is engaging and has plenty of twists to keep you entertained.

Black Mage FF1
09-02-2004, 02:12 AM
IMO This is one of the best FF games there is. Compared to the other FF games this one is actually hard. Plus the jobs are just awesome use. I agree with aeris that this games story and characters are good. Though I dont think it is as good as FFIV it is still better than FFII. If you want to play all the FF games then you shouldnt miss this one.

Lon611
09-02-2004, 05:19 AM
i haven't played enough of it 2 make any really judgement, but this is one tuff game. i've had to level up majorly for each boss so far. im on the fire ship. ppl praise the job system, but so far its a pain in the yahoo to raise job lvls.

Blitz_Ace
09-03-2004, 01:36 AM
Prehaps people are just scared of FFV because its harder then some?

FFV may be weak in terms of story and char personality but its Job system, replayability and fun factor more then make up for it. Id say that FFV is the most underated of the FF series and is definetly one of my favourites. And until you fight Omega... you have not experienced the meaning of fear!

aeris2001x2
09-03-2004, 01:05 PM
Prehaps people are just scared of FFV because its harder then some?

FFV may be weak in terms of story and char personality but its Job system, replayability and fun factor more then make up for it. Id say that FFV is the most underated of the FF series and is definetly one of my favourites. And until you fight Omega... you have not experienced the meaning of fear!

yeah Omega is a tough bastard. though he still cant hold a candle to the greater dark Aeons or Penance...

why do ppl think the story and characters r weak? i think there marvelous.

XxSephirothxX
09-22-2004, 01:57 AM
I'm about to start playing it myself...looking forward immensely to the Job System. I got addicted to Tactics Advance and played it so much that I got a sore neck and dreamed about the game... :erm: So I'll probably be addicted to this one. I kind of enjoy a challenge, too. X was way too easy. I've been somewhat spoiled by Star Ocean: The Second Story, which had the absolute most bitchin hard final bosses of any game I've ever played. It even gave you an option to take the 'Limiter' off the main boss by going to a secret dungeon, making him twice as hard...*shudders* So this should be a pleasant Old School romp. :D

Deri
09-25-2004, 03:42 PM
SYSTEM:
It can be played either as a ROM on the computer or as part of FF Anthology for the PSX (I've heard Anthology doesn't always work on PS2, and its listed as one of the few games not backwards compatable by Sony).

I just bought FF Anthology yesterday and started a FFV game on the PS2 and it seems to be working just fine. I also checked out the FFVI disc but I haven't start a game of that yet, but both games seem to work fine on the PS2. If I start to experience problems during the game, I may have to go buy a used PSone for 20 or 30 bucks. But I'll keep playing it on the PS2 for now.

Levian
09-26-2004, 12:29 PM
Nah, they work just fine on PS2. At least the PAL version. I haven't tried the NSTC version :p Anyway, FFV is a nice game. Job system is great, but the events are rather boring and overdone.

nik0tine
09-26-2004, 07:55 PM
I didn't like it much at first because of the weak characters and the weak story. But after a while the story does get kind of cool. The main thing is the bad guy jsut sucks, and his name makes him totally retarted. However, even with all of this against it is still a great game. It's pretty damn fun. Ive played through it a few times and every time it's great. Not as great as FFVI or FFIV, but it's still a great game. Go buy FF Anthologies now!

XxSephirothxX
09-26-2004, 10:55 PM
I've been playing it on the PS2 (logged 7 hours now) and have indeed noticed a performance flaw. About half of the time I go to save, a bizarre screen comes up. It seems the game has trouble loading the save screen, and results in loading....well, whatever it is I see. But I can still save, I just can't see what I'm doing :D