PDA

View Full Version : Censorship?

Carnage
08-28-2004, 04:46 AM
Ever notice in the the game where this $%#@@@*# shows up and your tryin to figure out what it is? They have said everything But Funk(cant say it at this site you get the idea.) in 7.Wut is the point of this *&$$#@#*?

mr. anderson
08-28-2004, 04:50 AM
yeah it probobly is f**k because they usually dont say f**k in video games,imagine if ff7 had voices :eek:

Sefie1999AD
08-28-2004, 12:02 PM
*SWEARING AND SPOILERS BELOW*

I think Square wanted to have a lot of questionable things in FF7's English translation after being censored by Nintendo big-time in FF1-6. If you remember, everything related to swearing ("Damn" to "Drat"), sexual hinting (even "I love you" to "You're a nice person"), religious elements (the spell "Holy" to "White" or "Pearl"), violence or death ("I'll kill you!" to "I'll defeat you!") and loads of other things were censored in the earlier FFs. Now that Sony didn't give them such restrictions, Square went all-out with their stuff:

- Language: Barret and Cid cuss all the time.
- Sexual hints: Uhh, just go to Honeybee Inn or Don Corneo's mansion. o_O
- Religious elements: Holy protecting the Planet, and Sephiroth/Jenova trying to become a god-like being.
- Violence and death: Just see the trail of blood in Shinra's HQ or the way how Aeris dies.
- Other things: Shinra's a big corporation that has a lot of power (Midgar's mayor is quite powerless, President Shinra practically rules the city and the world) and it's really corrupt, pollutes nature, wipes out all resistance and kills tons of innocent civilians just to show their powers. This pretty much shows what some powerful anonymous nations and corporations do, and I don't think the Nintendo of America would have ever allowed this kind of content in FF1-6.

Now for what those ¤/&¤"/&¤'s mean, I read the script and the characters say at least damn, crap, ass, hell and sh*t (though that one was censored in the PC version) without censoring, but I think the f-word, a**hole and both the b-words (the other referring to a female dog and the other one referring to an illegitimate child) were replaced by "/&¤&%#% in the PSX version.

imagine if ff7 had voices

That means most of the things Cid says would have sounded like this: *insert lots of beeps* :D

In FFs after VII, they don't have censoring. In FF8 and FF9, they simply don't say any major dirty words. In FFX and FFX-2, there seems to be a lot less swearing. In fact, I don't think I've ever heard anyone swear in FFX-2.

Shoeberto
08-28-2004, 03:24 PM
I'd always kind of wondered just what they intended him to say. I assumed the f-word, but there were usually more than four characters there.

Carnage
08-28-2004, 09:26 PM
- Sexual hints: Uhh, just go to Honeybee Inn or Don Corneo's mansion. o_O

Did anyone else notice the shackles and whips?

I dont like your plan. It sucks

o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0 OMFG
Paine, riku, and nooj's jaws dropped when that happend.

Lets face it FF's will one day be E fore everyone :whimper: :weep:

Lon611
08-28-2004, 09:34 PM
*SWEARING AND SPOILERS BELOW*
In FFX and FFX-2, there seems to be a lot less swearing. In fact, I don't think I've ever heard anyone swear in FFX-2.

wakka:"rotten sun of a shoopuf!"
i like this instead of cursing. it adds more "flare" and "style" to the game.

wakka:"hold on to your chocobo's"
altho this can be view both as hold on to your horses or hold on to what god gave you. the first time i heard it, i thought they were talking about the second one, since it happens when tidus breaks into yunas room 2 find out stuf...

yah, they don't curse much after ffvii. i think they used up all their "free cursing passes".lol. or they don't feel it fits in the world, i.e. gaia, spira, etc. which i think is tru. zidane says bastard i think, but only once. no1 curses as often as barret, or as harsh. :eek:

aeris2001x2
08-28-2004, 09:55 PM
minotaur calls the party *Bastards* in ffVIII i believe.

i,m glad the re-releases of ffIV and ffV r uncensored. "I will KILL Golbez" is used, and i think Kain is called a bastard too.

i like the FF swearing cause its used in situations that suit it. it also adds to character personality.

Q= why was the re-release of ffVI still censored?

Lon611
08-28-2004, 10:17 PM
i think square is good at swearing, but i can't name nebody that has the type of personality that swears. maybe kefka, or emperor gastahl?or shadow!!!

"don't :love::love::love::love:ing touch the dog, he eats ppl"

that wouldve been awesome :cool:

neways, this thread reminded me that i made one about this subject 2....sorta....go check it out....and its not that old either.How come... (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=49624)

EDIT: lol, this is the first time i really used the f-word without blocking out a letter or sumthing. sorri i 4got. look wat the blocked it out with tho....

Jolts
08-29-2004, 12:50 AM
Actually, the strange thing is, the word "bitch" is censored in FFVII, but the word "shit" isn't. Completely the opposite with just about everything else :lol:.

However, the PC version censors both (they even edited the FMV that had Cid yell out "SHIT!" to say something like "@%$!").

Carnage
08-29-2004, 01:13 AM
Shiznizit!!!! (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=49199)

Azure Chrysanthemum
08-29-2004, 01:25 AM
As I understand, there aren't a lot of swear words in the Japanese language, nor are they commonly used. Apparently much of the swearing is added by the Americans depending on the feel they wish to give the conversation.

NightfallInfernal
08-29-2004, 01:34 AM
thats because swearing is retarded, they are just words why would anyone care?

UltimaLimit
08-29-2004, 02:56 AM
Thank you. I really hate it when people try to tell you how it's bad to cuss (parents mostly), and then something goes wrong and they're cursing the problem, the people involved, and the people's mothers. I mean, come on. I hate that as much as seeing/hearing "assh**e" instead of a**hole. It makes absolutely no sense. Asshole censorers!

Next time someone swears at you in real life, tell them, "Watch your :love::love::love::love:ing language!" And get ready to duck because some people don't get it and try to fight you. Learned the hard way.

Getting back on topic, I'm pretty sure Zidane says "bastard" more than once in 9. He also says "damn, hell," that sort of thing, but those are minor.

I think @#_*$&%!! is supposed to be "funk" too. But consider the possibilty that it may be a dirty word in their language (the FF7 character's language that is, not Japan's). Or while we're at it, maybe it's a dialect difference (ask for a fag in Britain you're a smoker, ask for one here and you're probably gay). Or maybe Barret and Cid invented some new ones :frust:

**becomes possessed by demon and begins swearing in languages he's never learned**

Edit: Hey wait... if you recite the Lord's prayer backwards, that's insulting to God and a strong indication that you're a Satanist. But if you swear backwards...
** runs off to start new thread in GC **
**exorcises demon while he's at it**

Carnage
08-29-2004, 03:02 AM
I see that OCC thing alot what is it? (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=49199)

Shoeberto
08-29-2004, 03:06 AM
It means out of character or out of context.

Carnage
08-29-2004, 03:09 AM
How do i make one? (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=49199)

Jolts
08-29-2004, 03:47 AM
With the OOC tag .

Starcrest
08-29-2004, 05:13 AM
I think there's a little swearing in all the FF games, but to what extent? Like in VII, it was almost every other word with Barret and Cid. VIII Zell and Squall swore a little, and IX, yeah, Zidane said bastard and all that stuff a few times to. X, I'm not sure cause I'm not that far.