PDA

View Full Version : Hero

Thunday Man
08-28-2004, 06:38 AM
Just saw this movie. Pretty damn good. Alot of crazy fight scenes that are very very well done. The plot was confusing at first, but it all blended in beatuifully in the end. The movie was produced very well. Awsome use of colors, use of the surrounding and the camera work.

It wasnt quite what i was expecting though. I expected a big action movie, but to my suprise it was more of a drama with a twist of action every couple of minutes. Not to say that, that is bad, but it was definatly worth my 5.50.

9 out of 10.

Polyonymous
08-28-2004, 06:39 AM
it looks like a really good movie, i want to see it. its to bad i never have any money to do that kind of thing. *sigh*

Garland
08-28-2004, 06:51 AM
I'll probably see it. I'm going with the expectation of another flying Chinese people movie, akin to Crouching Tiger and that movie (Iron Monkey?) that followed it shortly after - a kungfu movie with people that fly all over for no reason. I saw some weird flying in the tv trailer. I never got the point of it, but the rest of the movie looks good.

Thunday Man
08-28-2004, 06:58 AM
There is a little flying type stuff, but not nearly as much as CTHD

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
08-28-2004, 07:34 AM
watched it ages ago....love it....its a classic!

Burtsplurt
08-28-2004, 09:23 AM
I thought it was okay, but it didn't really have much beyond the fight scenes. Maybe I was expecting another CTHD, though. I think that was probably why I was disappointed; if I hadn't seen CTHD, then maybe my opinion of Hero would be more than it is.

Nait
08-28-2004, 08:21 PM
Loved it. Like a light-weight, cinematographically explosive CTHD, with a twisty, Rashômon-type (but not too much) kind of plot.

Casey
08-28-2004, 08:37 PM
Crouching Tiger and that movie (Iron Monkey?) that followed it shortly after

Actually Iron Monkey was out years before Crouching Tiger came out. I do want to see this movie though! It looks good.

Thunday Man
08-29-2004, 12:23 AM
This movie was like Dynasty Warriors RL :p

Sky = Lubu

Ouch!
08-29-2004, 02:57 AM
I just got back from seeing it, and it was worth my $9.00. Movies are so expensive out here because everyone has so much money.

I liked the movie. As others have said, it wasn't anything like I expected, but it was really good. I didn't realize until right when the movie began that it wasn't going to be in English.

My first reaction was, "Oh hell no, not subtitles," but it wasn't too bad. The translation wasn't great, and I'm sure a lot of the emotion was lost when it was translated, but it still was very well done.

Burtsplurt
08-29-2004, 10:52 AM
Has it got a cinema release now? It was released a couple of years ago in Asia, and I imported a DVD. It did look very doubtful that it'd get a release in Europe/ the US.

Dingo Jellybean
08-29-2004, 05:54 PM
It's an okay movie. Not worth the $5.25 I put up on it.

The story is just wishy-washy, it's your typical story of family/people getting killed and someone getting revenge. At some point, this gets old. The fight scenes were decent, but only because Jet-Li was in it. But it's also cheesy that you have this lone warrior, trying to look fierce standing up to an empire...I swear, this formula for a movie has been done so many times before...it's just tiring. Maybe it's just me, but it'll be a long while(if ever) a martial arts movie looks and reads as good as CTHD. At least the story was good in CTHD...granted, it was a love story...but the script made it work...Hero just lacks that. I never bought into Jet Li as a good actor...in fact, I think he's an average actor with above average martial arts skills. I never buy into the emotions Jet-Li tries to convey on screen...he's just not that good.

With that being said, I think it's borderline for some people if they should see this movie. I can't believe I passed up Shrek 2 for Hero though. -_-