PDA

View Full Version : About the Books

Ireng
08-30-2004, 02:20 PM
The "Books" you find when you find Cyan in the World of Ruin ... are they used for something? I mean, I've never seen an event or conversation that involves them...

PD: Is it true that Shadow dies when the Tower of Kefka collapses? I mean, he just sits there stupidly. The same applies to Umaro and Gogo. :mad:

m4tt
08-30-2004, 03:33 PM
The books aren't used for anything in the American version. I think they are used to teach Cyan the Tools technique in the japanese version though. But don't hold me to that, it might just be a rumor I heard.

I don't know if Shadow dies or not. Umaro and Gogo don't though, they are at the back of the airship.

Flying Mullet
08-30-2004, 03:48 PM
Also, you don't see any special ending sequence for Gogo or Umaro because they are completely optional characters. Special ending sequence bits were only made for the characters that you must get throughout the story (in the WOB).

m4tt
08-30-2004, 08:00 PM
Also, you don't see any special ending sequence for Gogo or Umaro because they are completely optional characters. Special ending sequence bits were only made for the characters that you must get throughout the story (in the WOB).

Yes you do. Gogo mimics Celes pressing a switch, then Umaro breaks through a wall.

Flying Mullet
08-30-2004, 08:37 PM
Oy, good point, I can't believe I forgot that. :smash:

On a side note, the books do do something. If you press the confirm button on the books 255 times each you will see a password in the description box of the items screen where it shows the descriptions for the books, "a book of tools..." or whatever. Write this password down and then go fire up FFVII. Get into battle with a character with a mastered "Revive" materia. Get into battle and kill and revive the enemies in it using Life2 (weaker enemies are easier to do this with), it doesn't matter which enemies or if it's the same one, for a combined total of 255 times (because of the large MP consumption needed, you'll need a lot of Elixirs or such, and the W-Item item duplication trick helps with this). After the battle you will find the Mythril Phoenix, which you take to the guy that collects Mythril. Give him the Mythirl Phoenix and he will ask you if you would like to use the Phoenix's power to see an old friend. Answer "Yes, I would like that" and he will ask you for the password. Enter it correctly and he will tell you that your friend is looking for you. Go to the forests by Junon where Yuffie first meets your party and you will meet Aeris in battle much the same way, except she rejoins you, similar to the way Gau does when he joins your party in FFVI.

Cz
08-30-2004, 11:14 PM
On a side note, the books do do something. If you press the confirm button on the books 255 times each you will see a password in the description box of the items screen where it shows the descriptions for the books, "a book of tools..." or whatever. Write this password down and then go fire up FFVII. Get into battle with a character with a mastered "Revive" materia. Get into battle and kill and revive the enemies in it using Life2 (weaker enemies are easier to do this with), it doesn't matter which enemies or if it's the same one, for a combined total of 255 times (because of the large MP consumption needed, you'll need a lot of Elixirs or such, and the W-Item item duplication trick helps with this). After the battle you will find the Mythril Phoenix, which you take to the guy that collects Mythril. Give him the Mythirl Phoenix and he will ask you if you would like to use the Phoenix's power to see an old friend. Answer "Yes, I would like that" and he will ask you for the password. Enter it correctly and he will tell you that your friend is looking for you. Go to the forests by Junon where Yuffie first meets your party and you will meet Aeris in battle much the same way, except she rejoins you, similar to the way Gau does when he joins your party in FFVI.
<<OVERKILL>> :D

TheAbominatrix
08-31-2004, 12:24 AM
The books have no purpose. The Cyan tools deal is just a rumor.

And yes, Shadow does die. He doesnt just 'sit there stupidly', there's a symbolism of him starting over in it. And Umaro and Gogo escape with the rest.

DJZen
08-31-2004, 11:43 PM
It's curious that they got left in the game if they do nothing...

Edgar
09-01-2004, 08:34 AM
Holy...bananas.... :mog:

Outsider
09-01-2004, 10:57 AM
And yes, Shadow does die. He doesnt just 'sit there stupidly', there's a symbolism of him starting over in it. And Umaro and Gogo escape with the rest.

For a long time I thought that he stayed behind, so he could start a new life after saving the world. Well, he is a Ninja, I guess he would be able to get out of there.

After I played the game a second time though, I started to think that it would make sense. He killed his emotions, so there would be nothing left for him out there. I think that he just went and joined the group to kill Kefka, so he could die in a honorable way, without regrets for his past.

Well, I guess it's not that obvious anyway, like everything else about Shadow.

TheAbominatrix
09-01-2004, 12:38 PM
He may have survived. He could have gone off and started a new life as a new man, with no past, including Interceptor. But I think he just died, and that coupled with the birth of Duane and Katarin's baby made for some nice symbolism.

Guess we'll never know for sure one way or the other.

Sefie1999AD
09-01-2004, 03:55 PM
I thought it was pretty clear that Shadow committed suicide there. That's why, I thought his ending was so sad. The dramatic string version of his theme playing during that scene also hits about a tragic character and event. The books are just another useless item, just like some of FF7's useless items. I heard there was also a playboy magazine in the place where you find the books, but that's only in the Japanese version. If that's true, Nintendo definitely censored it in the US version. Hmm, the dirty magazine seems to be a trademark in FF4, FF5, FF6 and FF8. Dirty Square! o_O But I've got to agree with TheAbominatrix about the nice symbolism in the ending, such as the birth of Duane and Katarin's baby, Tina opening up her hair at the deck of the airship, people rebuilding their towns and other things like that.

shigogouhou
09-02-2004, 02:24 AM
I heard there was also a playboy magazine in the place where you find the books, but that's only in the Japanese version.

So that explains the Book of Secrets...

Depressio
09-02-2004, 04:02 AM

really?! omg i hafta try that!!! nah, i'm j/k. hahaha, but that's an interesting "theory" you have there

Del Murder
09-04-2004, 06:15 PM
I love that you guys only spoiler one word, like that doesn't make it obvious what you're talking about. :thumb:

Mullet does the elaborate fake secret thing better than I do.

Outsider
09-04-2004, 08:41 PM
Yeah, I love it too.

Sabotender
09-28-2004, 06:55 AM
Oy, good point, I can't believe I forgot that. :smash:

IS THIS REALLY THE TRUE?! Thats NIIIIIIIICE!! :D But do ya know if that works in the german version too?? Aeris! We want you back!! :cool:

nik0tine
09-28-2004, 06:58 AM
Wow! So cool! so there really is a way to revive aeris!?!? IM GONNA GO DO IT!! YEAH! COOL!!!!!!!

Sabotender
09-28-2004, 01:56 PM
Could someone post that password??? Pleeeeeeease!
I tested it in the german version with the books but it doesnt worked... :(

Braindead_Paul
09-28-2004, 04:10 PM
Could someone post that password??? Pleeeeeeease!
I tested it in the german version with the books but it doesnt worked... :(

It is different in the PAL Version. After you have read the Book of Secrets _exactly_ 255 times you have to win 256 battles with the Paladin Ring equipped on Cyan. Then you get the password as discribed by Flying Mullet.

Flying Mullet
09-28-2004, 04:12 PM
Ahh, okay, I didn't know that. That's good to know. Thanks.

Sabotender
09-28-2004, 04:45 PM
Ahh Ok but where can I get the Paladin Ring??

And WHY do they only have to change things in the Pal version of games?! They just could leave it like in the NTSC-Version... :eep:
I dont get it...Ok there are some good changes like the dark Aeons in FFX but some changes shouldn´t be done!

Edit by Kishi: I don't know why you think you should be allowed to double-post, but you're not.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-28-2004, 05:07 PM
You also have to hold "Y" (for power) if you're playing PAL Version 1.0.1, but not if you're playing Version 1.0.2, in which case it'll freeze the game and probably mess up your saves.

Braindead_Paul
09-28-2004, 05:12 PM
I thought you can run across small gaps by holding "Y" and jump higher...

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-28-2004, 05:15 PM
That's only in NTSC Version 1.0.3.

The Man
09-28-2004, 05:20 PM
I can't believe people are actually falling for this.

Flying Mullet
09-28-2004, 05:39 PM
Ahh Ok but where can I get the Paladin Ring??
You get the Paladin Ring by fighting 255 battles with the Cursed Ring, and after the 255th battle it uncurses into the Paladin Ring. Much like the Cursed Shield to Paladin Shield.

Sabotender
09-29-2004, 12:51 PM
Thx but erm...where can I get the cursed ring? And has someone tried this password trick before, so does it really work?This are over 500 battles I have to do and if it doesnt work then I would kill my pc. :cool:

Flying Mullet
09-29-2004, 08:35 PM
I think that the Cursed Ring can be won at the Coliseum by betting the Cursed Shield and winning. But by betting the Cursed Shield you lose the chance to gain the Paladin Shield.

As to the Cursed Ring to Paladin Ring part, it all depends upon which version of the game you have. Some of the later versions have the Cursed Ring pulled from it, while even some of the others have the cursed ring but it can't be changed into the Paladin Ring. The only way to find out if by fighting the battles and seeing what happens. Some think that the different versions of the game have different outcomes for the Cursed Ring because Square was going to do some type of promo contest to get people to buy the game early on as there was a secret code that would unlock something in the next Final Fantasy, but no one knows.

Dark Falken
09-30-2004, 03:38 PM
Hrmm, I tried this, but it didn't work. I never got a password from the item description and the 255th kill in FFVI doesn't yield a Mithril Phoenix???? Am I doing something wrong???

;)

Jolts
09-30-2004, 03:58 PM
You people are very gullible, you know that?

Anyway, about Shadow dying (like you didn't already know...). I've never actually witnessed the part you're talking about, but I heard that if you wait 'till the last minute or so of wherever it is that he dies and there's a timer, that he'll come running toward you and decide to rejoin the group. I got that out of a magazine, and since I've never done whatever part that is, I don't know if it's the same part ya'll are talking about. So, if you know what I'm talking about, then is it true?

TheAbominatrix
09-30-2004, 04:05 PM
They're refering to the end of the game.

The part you're talking about is on the Floating Continent. Shadow stays behind to keep the enemy busy, and the party runs off. There's a timer, and if you dont reach the end and jump onto the airship by that time, game over. But when you do, you get two options;

Jump!
Gotta wait for Shadow...

Jumping will leave Shadow behind and you'll never see him again. If you choose to wait, Shadow will show in the nick of time, and then everyone gets on the airship and the story progresses.

Sabotender
10-01-2004, 05:58 PM
It would be easier if someone who knows that password just post it here.Then everyone could use it and dont have to do that mega-trick...

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-01-2004, 07:31 PM
It's different for every game, just like Mayor Domino's password in Shin-Ra Tower.

-N-
10-02-2004, 05:54 AM
By the way, I'm having trouble with FFXII... I can't get past the Yoagrin guards in the dungeon. Can anyone help? ;)

TheAbominatrix
10-02-2004, 06:06 AM
By the way, I'm having trouble with FFXII... I can't get past the Yoagrin guards in the dungeon. Can anyone help? ;)

Have you learned the Basilisk summon yet? They're not immune to stone, so use it and they'll be turned to stone, usually on the first try. It took me forever to get past that on my first playthrough.

Storm
10-02-2004, 09:20 AM
Somebody please close this thread before we all start de-evolving.

Sabotender
10-02-2004, 07:58 PM
Dirty Liers... :eep:

Flying Mullet
10-04-2004, 03:24 PM
Dirty Liers... :eep:
O=)

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-04-2004, 03:37 PM
Let's all do this again some time.