PDA

View Full Version : Should I get Star Ocean 3 tomorrow for the PS2 system?

Ellerkerm
09-01-2004, 01:25 AM
I just want to know thats all.

Black Mage
09-01-2004, 01:52 AM
I can't make decisions for you, especially since I haven't played it yet, either.

I'm buying, personally, because I liked the first two. If you enjoyed them, I'd reckon you'll enjoy them.

EDIT: That last sentence sounds funny, so I won't fix it. But, I'm editing this so you all know I have realized my mistake.

Ellerkerm
09-01-2004, 02:28 AM
I don't have the first two games yet because it hard to find them and stuff.

Ellerkerm
09-01-2004, 03:41 AM
Thanks I'll buy it anyways.

Kilika
09-01-2004, 06:19 AM
but does star ocean 1 and 2 have anything to do with eachother? if so does that mean that the 3rd will do with the 1st and 2nd? cause i want to play it but i dont want to be lost

Shlup
09-01-2004, 07:17 AM
No, it's not a continuing story. You can play 3 without having played 1 or 2.

Star Ocean 2 is my favorite console RPG, so I'm looking forward to number 3.

TheAbominatrix
09-01-2004, 07:42 AM
There is a bit of continuity... one of Star Ocean 2's main characters is the son of the one of the main characters from Star Ocean 1. But it's not at all neccesary to know that, I played 2 first since 1 was never released in America. I played the translated rom of 1 years after.

I dunno if 3 has any connections to the previous ones. I suppose it probably does, but they shouldnt give those new to the series any trouble.

Rinoa's Knight
09-11-2004, 12:48 AM
Hey, so has anyone who's played so far had any trouble getting into this game? I bought a couple a days ago, and i consider myself to be an avid rpg'er, but i'm having some difficulty adjusting to this game's style. it's battle system seems unneccessarily complicated, and so far it seems like it's one of those games u can't just jump right into (which bugs me). I like a challenge, but i like games that are realistically understandable. Anyone felt the same?

Black Mage
09-11-2004, 05:16 PM
Hm, nope. I haven't really noticed that problem. I loved SO, and SO:SS, and I'm liking SO:TTEOT right now too.

Of course, thanks to college I haven't been able to invest as much time as I'd have liked, but I'm slowly working my way into it.

TheAbominatrix
09-11-2004, 11:08 PM
The battle system is different, and it takes time to get used to, but once you master it it's a lot of fun. I felt the same way about SO2 when I first started.

Rinoa's Knight
09-12-2004, 04:32 AM
Yeep. I know what ya mean. I'm aboot 5 hours into the game now, and a lot of what seemed confusing and unexplained resulted in me just needing more practice. This game's actually a lot of fun. Although there's some things i still need clarification on, i just gotta spend more time with it. :)

XxSephirothxX
09-13-2004, 12:09 AM
I'm really looking forward to SO3. It's a good thing that we're getting the Director's Cut version, because the first was riddled with bugs. I've read some very mixed reviews on the game. IGN gave it an awesome score, like a 9, but EGM gave it around a 7. IGN said the battle system was incredible, but that the story was just decent and it had horrible voice acting. EGM said that the battle system wasn't very good, but that it had an awesome story and great voice work. :mad: WHO DO WE BELIEVE?!? Anyways, I don't think it has any real connection to the first two. Personally, SO 2 was okay, but I enjoyed the first one a lot more. The final boss in two was a major bitch! When I arrived at the end I was at around level seventy and had to pass 90 before I could beat him. Perhaps it would have been easier if I had used the turn-based system instead... :eep:

Phil
09-13-2004, 02:48 AM
Star Ocean TTEOT > Kingdom Hearts

Its' a really good game. I logged 10 hours the first day i bought it. The battle system is cool, not like i hasent been done before, but i like it. Also, i like the fact that you can get powerful weapons early in the game like the Holy Sword for 19600 fol but it takes like 5 hours to get taht much money *reason why i'm at level 11 after 2 hours*

black orb
09-13-2004, 02:52 AM
>>> I heard SO3 has a sort of fighting game on it..
Is that true??

Phil
09-13-2004, 02:54 AM
Do you mean is it kind of like a fighting game? Yeah, it is. You press x for a normal swing, square for a special attack, and o for a powered up attack. Its kinda like soul calibur in a sense.

black orb
09-13-2004, 03:08 AM
>>> No I mean there is a Fighting game within the game, like a mini game or something..
I dont know if this screen have something to do with it..
http://www.rpgfan.com/pics/so3/ess-016.jpg
here is another
http://www.rpgfan.com/pics/so3/ss-080.jpg

XxSephirothxX
09-13-2004, 08:50 PM
Yeah, it has a two player versus mode in addition to the main quest (I think.) Isn't it the first two-disc Playstation 2 game? It must be pretty big...!