PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Frances

Symphonic
09-02-2004, 02:53 AM
Anyone else here live in Florida? To be more precise, on the east coast of it?

I was just wondering because we have one monster of a hurricane coming, a catagory 4 last time I checked. School's been called off for the next 2 days (at least in Brevard County), and there's gonna be a mandatory evacuation tomorrow at 2 p.m.. I'm evacuating to a place farther south, But it still could get hit if the hurricane changes paths again.

So, the point of this topic was to see if anyone else here has ever gone though a hurricane before, or is about to be hit by Frances?

Leeza
09-02-2004, 03:14 AM
No, I have never gone through a hurricane and I live very far away from Florida. A hurricane must be quite scary. I hope everything works out alright for you.

Symphonic
09-02-2004, 03:24 AM
Well, normaly ther's just a lot of howling wind, and we get more rain than several small counrties in the space of like 4 hours.

Most people are perfectly safe , provided they dont do anything stupid.

eestlinc
09-02-2004, 03:42 AM
I was in Miami the week before Hurricane Andrew hit, but I haven't ever actually been in one. Most of my family has, though.

Agent Proto
09-02-2004, 04:51 AM
I've been through Isabel last year. It was nothing when it reached to my area in Northern Virginia. :D

Meat Puppet
09-02-2004, 06:26 AM
When I was younger I was staying in a small coastal fishing village when a hurricane hit. Houses were across the road from the sea and water kept blowing throat my window, and once even a fish! (Although the fish could've been in a dream. It seems all too magical for reality :'( )

SeeDRankLou
09-02-2004, 08:51 AM
I live in the Houston area of Texas. I have been through Hurricane Alisha, Hurricane Andrew (I think), and most recently Tropical Storm Allison, which horribly flooded Houston. And I was stuck in the middle of Houston because all of our weather men aparently got high that week when they were giving their weather reports and told us that Allison would pass just to the west of us and only stay for like 3 or 4 hours. Allison came staight for Houston, set up camp, went west, decided it didn't want to go west, came back, set up camp again, and finally went east. It was horrible. I59 became the I59 River for a while. There was an 18 wheeler, fully loaded, completely submerged in water. It was bad in the medical center, which was not at all prepared for this. No one could get to a hospital until the rain went away and helicopters could be in the sky again. At the Baylor College of Medicine and other universities, a lot of stuff got messed up, especially the underground animal hut. All the animals, i.e. between six months to two years of research, drowned. There were students on the corner of the street the next day crying. The theatre district was just messed up to no end. Luckily I parked my car on a second story parking lot that evening, and my apartment was on the second floor. I had gone to a dance club that evening (thinking that because every weatherman in Houston said it wouldn't hit us that it was fine), and I and many other people got stranded there. So since the TABC couldn't get to the club, they served drinks until about 7am (usually they stop at 2am). It was kind of scary, a hurricane hadn't caused this much damage to Houston since about the 1960s, and this was just a tropical storm.

Maxico
09-02-2004, 09:05 AM
Nope, englands FAR to boring to have anything like hurricanes.

frr_vegeta
09-02-2004, 02:32 PM
Nope, englands FAR to boring to have anything like hurricanes.
If I remember correctly, once a Hurrican ripped through England and other parts of Europe, creating mass devistation.

Just wait your turn. :choc:

Rusty
09-02-2004, 04:06 PM
Never been through a hurricane, they dont happen to much, if at all here in Australia. We get cyclone's though, but there up North :)

GrimmReaper
09-02-2004, 08:06 PM
I must live in the only spot in florida that almost never gets hit. Last one was directed right towards here, and it curved south. Quater million people evacuated out and ended up in the path of the hurricane charley, meanwhile it didn't even rain where i am. The one that hit to the north of here ( almost the same time as charley) almost covered the entire top of florida, but went around here also. I'm guessing we here in pinellas county fla have merely scraped by long enough.. mabye this one will hit and cut right through here? *hopes*

hurricanes = hurricane party ; day off school.

Dr Unne
09-02-2004, 11:37 PM
My grandparents live on the coast of South Carolina. They're fleeing north pretty much as we speak.

Strider
09-03-2004, 03:32 AM
I'm so glad that all I have to deal with is the occasional earthquake.

Misfit
09-03-2004, 03:39 AM
Stupid stupid Hurricane Frances. >_<

We're supposed to be going to Florida TOMORROW for a weeks vacation but NOOO! Darn Hurricane Frances decided that it wanted to ruin IT ALL! fa;ldjf ;ak

Anyways, no. ^_^

fire_of_avalon
09-03-2004, 03:43 AM
I was in the Raleigh, NC area during Isabel last year, and it was unimpressive. However, my friend's live in Brevard County, FL. They're going to Alabama to escape.

zacks_clone
09-03-2004, 03:47 AM
Im in maine. Do we get hurricanes up here? O.o;;...Dunno.But I havent been through one. We get ice storms.^_^

StarlightAngel
09-03-2004, 04:14 AM
I don't live in a place in danger of hurricanes. :D

Gabgooba
09-03-2004, 04:16 AM
I'm all the way up in safe Ontario. Lake Ontario is way too small to produce a tropical storm, so we're safe! We're nowhere need a tectonic plate border, so we're safe from earthquakes, too! The only small danger are tornadoes, and the last recorded landing, three years ago, was about 2 feet across.

Yay!

nik0tine
09-03-2004, 06:36 AM
Im oblivious to this. Didn't you guys jsut get decimated by hurricane charlie? I remember hearing that was the worst hurricane to hit florida in a long long time. And now there is ANOTHER one coming your way? jeez, i feel sorry for you guys.

escobert
09-03-2004, 06:41 AM
Yes no.

nik0tine
09-03-2004, 06:46 AM
maybe so?

fire_of_avalon
09-03-2004, 12:46 PM
I don't know.

To stay on topic, Charley was goingto be a really bad storm, but weakened a little once it hit. Frances is much stronger, I believe.

Armisael
09-03-2004, 01:35 PM
No, I have never gone through a hurricane and I live very far away from Florida. A hurricane must be quite scary. I hope everything works out alright for you.

Rye
09-03-2004, 01:55 PM
That must suck to get hurricanes so much. Hope you guys will be ok.

muchacho
09-04-2004, 10:26 PM
ive been living in florida for about 8 or 9 years, so ive been hit by quite a few of 'em. now i live on the west side in sarasota, and we just miss that other one(forgot the name, think it was charlie). im used to hurricanes now, pretty much winds and lots of rain. i dont really have to worry about my house cause its only a year and a half old. i had a hurricane day(like a snowday) yesterday, but we could have been able to go to school, but im not complaining.

Kami
09-05-2004, 02:50 AM
:/ .... I sleep through hurricanes/tornados.

Strider
09-05-2004, 05:53 AM
They say this thing is the size of Texas. Yeah, really. It's that big.

Head for the hills, there's a storm a-comin'!

Zell's Fists of Fury
09-05-2004, 06:42 AM
I live in Arizona. The worst weather we get is thunderstorms with fourty mile per hour weather. And by the way the news people report on it, you'd think a hurricane did hit.

But yeah. This state sucks.

muchacho
09-05-2004, 02:40 PM
They say this thing is the size of Texas. Yeah, really. It's that big.

it used to be the size of texas, when it was a 4. now its a 2 or 1, its about the size of alabama now.

Linus
09-05-2004, 05:31 PM
http://loonybob.homestead.com/files/little.gif

Zell's Fists of Fury
09-05-2004, 05:34 PM
HALANBONNIE IS IN FLORIDA AND SHES NOT ANSWERING HER PHONE AND SHES NOT ONLINE AND IM SCARED WHAT WILL I DO IF SHE GETS BLOWED AWAY

Doomgaze
09-05-2004, 10:13 PM
Also, Hurrican Ivan is ALSO looking to become strong and possibly hit Florida, which would be funny.

...wait, where did Yams go to anyway?

GrimmReaper
09-06-2004, 05:05 AM
you know, i feel like i'm in the last place in pinellas county that actually has power. odd that. seeing as that we have the worst power problems, and are regularly off during normal storms as is.

lonely i tell you. LONELY! *hides in corner*