PDA

View Full Version : Wow

i-kant
09-03-2004, 08:51 PM
That's all I can say. I just finished my first FF series game: FF V.

Despite this game being 12 years old, I would have to rank it as either the best or second best game I have ever played (the other being deus ex 1).

Wow I can't believe I went through so many years without picking up this awesome game series.

The only thing that bugged me about the game was the levelling up process which sometimes could take a very long time and is extremely boring.

But the many hours spent levelling up was worth it. I was captivated from the very beginning with the mysteries (Who is Galuf? Why does Faris have the same pendant as Lenna? What is going on with the world?)

The plot unfolded seamlessly, dropping occasional surprises along the way that made me want to continue playing to find out more. The drama is incredible. I think any more sacrifices by characters (Galuf, Zeza, Hiryuu, Lenna, etc.) in the game would have overdone it, but then found such a good balance of comedy and drama that it made me laugh out loud sometimes while bringing me to the brink of tears at other times.

The ending was...spectacular. It was inspirational, it was heart-warming, it was thought-provoking...The story of FF V is what brings it from an OK game to a great game.

Now I understand and share the obsession that many people have with the FF series, an obsession which I previously failed to understand.

Please let me know what other game in the series I could try (I'm not enough of a fan to try out the paysite online games like FFXII)

a new FF fan,

i-kant

Zell's Fists of Fury
09-03-2004, 08:55 PM
Oh I'm sorry, you have the wrong room. The Final Fantasy boards are down the hall and to your left. I can validate your parking though, if you wish.

Yamaneko
09-03-2004, 08:56 PM
I'll move it for you. :)

aeris2001x2
09-03-2004, 09:25 PM
glad u like the story and characters. most think they r poor, but i love them and combined with the battle systerm its a real winner.

DJZen
09-03-2004, 09:42 PM
Please let me know what other game in the series I could try (I'm not enough of a fan to try out the paysite online games like FFXII)

Well, first and foremost, FFXII is not an online game. It is a traditional RPG that hasn't been released yet. FFXI is an online game. Although I have to say, as expensive as it is, it's very fun.

If you liked FFV you should probably try playing FFIV and VI. The job system in FF Tactics is pretty similar to the job systen in FFV, so you can try that too, although it's not a traditional RPG. I also reccomend you play FFI. It's an old school NES cult classic and it's well loved by many.

Ultima Shadow
09-03-2004, 09:44 PM
Yes, FFV is wonderfull. And so is most of the FFs. I really loved Gilgamesh. :cool:
Try out FFVI and FFVII.

aeris2001x2
09-03-2004, 10:09 PM
well i can tell what ff games i DONT recommend.

ffII,III and X-2. every thing else is an amazing game! :D

Jolts
09-03-2004, 10:09 PM
If you liked FFV, then I assume you liked the job system. You should check out FFT and FFX-2.

i-kant
09-03-2004, 10:10 PM
Well I watched the opening cinematic of FFIV and FFVI both and I don't know...it's hard to play FFIV since you have to get used to all the inconveniences in interface compared to FFV. and FFVI seems to be futuristic? for some reason, maybe cause of all the technology-futuristic games I've played, i'm kinda sick of the future stuff. Is there another FF game that is set kinda in the "medieval times" like FFV?

p.s. gilgamesh was awesome...i guess he was always misunderstood. too bad we couldn't have been friends. that would have been funny. some huge guy who's 10 times taller and with spikes on his body walking alongside you playing in the woods. lol...

but he did a great thing at the end sacrificing himself....*sniff*

aeris2001x2
09-03-2004, 10:11 PM
however ffX-2 job systerm is highly annoying as u can,t keep your abilities at same time. there is no BARE class avaliable. so u may be disapointed after ffV.

Ultima Shadow
09-03-2004, 10:22 PM
FFVI is not really futuristic. But it's not really medival either. However, I really recomend that game.

FFIX is very medival.

Lon611
09-03-2004, 10:34 PM
well i can tell what ff games i DONT recommend.

ffII,III and X-2. every thing else is an amazing game! :D

yup. that says it all right there. every other game truly is remarkable. ooh, but don't play final fantasy mystic quest. do NOT play that at all!

Takara
09-04-2004, 01:53 AM
Do not let the interface of FFIV prevent you from playing it. Even if the graphics are poorer and the game play more simple, do not forget it was one of the earlier SNES games, and the technology was not as developped back then (Yes, I know IV was released only one year before V, but you all know how fast technology evolves. :P).

Trust me, it's still an amazing game. What it lacks in the interface, it gains it in character development and plot.

And as it was already said, FFVI is not really futuristic. It's pretty hard to point a specific time period for it though. It is not medieval, but it's not modern either. Maybe closer to late renaissance/early industrial era.

And even there, the technology is not dominant in the world, seeing most of it comes from the Empire (with its MaGiTek), and the rest originates from Figaro (which uses mostly machinery).

It's also considered one of the best of the series when it comes to the plot and characters.

And the other medieval FF's would be FFI, FFII, FFIII, and FFIX. FFXII looks like it's going to be more medieval too, but we'll see.

aeris2001x2
09-04-2004, 01:58 AM
i,d go as far as to say ffVI, NOT ffVII, is the first new school RPG. espically as ffVII is imho a rehash of ffVI (a superior rehash mind you).

DJZen
09-04-2004, 03:35 AM
How can it be a re-hash of something that came out after it? :confused: I agree though, FFVI was definitely a step towards the new school RPG.

it's hard to play FFIV since you have to get used to all the inconveniences in interface compared to FFV.

You're going to run into this problem a lot. Every FF is completely different from every other FF (except for III and V, but even those have their differences).

aeris2001x2
09-04-2004, 04:02 AM
WHOOPS...OK, edited my screw up.

i actually find the interface of ffIV very simple and easy to use. i,d say its the easiest ff to just *Pick up and play*.

i-kant
09-04-2004, 04:03 AM
yeah well i have just started on my quest in FFIV, not sure if i'm going to finish it though.

the dizzying effect after entering/leaving a building is a pain. my head can't handle it, gives me headaches. It also happens when encountering enemies...

aeris2001x2
09-04-2004, 04:08 AM
oh thats a nasty problem. as good as ffIV is i dont think think u should play it if it affects your health. did ffV ever have such an effect on u?

DJZen
09-04-2004, 04:15 AM
That's referred to as the "mosaic" effect. It was considered state of the art back in 1991. Think of it as the cel-shading of its day (although cel-shading hasn't been all that cool since about 1999...)

i-kant
09-04-2004, 05:32 AM
Well, two things about this "mosaic effect" that's different between FF V and FF IV:

1. In FF V, the mosaic effect only occurs either when encountering an enemy or in rare occasions when the cinematic wants to show someone daydreaming or reminiscing. In FF IV, it happens also when you move between rooms, move between buildings, etc. That's really annoying because when you are in a town, or in a cave, you have to move through numerous different "areas".

2. In FF V, when you the mosaic effect, it's just less hurting on the eyes for some reason.

Anyways, it's not like it's a serious health issue, it just really annoying physically and mentally.