PDA

View Full Version : Ever start over in a game from the beginning?

JseanjohnC
09-04-2004, 03:22 AM
Do you usually play a game and realize you made a mistake and just start over from the beginning? I just hav and im just curious if u guys usually do! I usually do often

Please don't post your topics in all caps, thanks. ~Matty

Shoeberto
09-04-2004, 03:30 AM
NO
NOT VERY OFTEN
I JUST WAIT UNTIL MY NEXT PLAY THROUGH

TasteyPies
09-04-2004, 03:44 AM
Never, im too lazy.

GrimmReaper
09-04-2004, 04:35 AM
generally with my luck, I'll have been playing the game for a very stretched out amount of time (months and months and months and months). and so i tend to forget where i am, or what i've done. So If say, i've used a gameshark on the game at one point in time, and it inputs something that'll bug the game up.. say, half a year later I'll notice it when i'm about half done with the game and cannot continue any further, due to said bug. In this reference, i'll be starting from the beginning......in about a year or so, when i'm not sick of the game... ..*hearts xenogears anyways*

or i'll just finish the game and start over. that too..

or sometimes i'll just start over because i feel like it.

edczxcvbnm
09-04-2004, 05:04 AM
No...I kind of just realized that I made a mistake and go 'thats life' and press forward instead of wasting time.

CloudSquallandZidane
09-04-2004, 06:20 AM
Not too often... but i started over on FFVIII 3 times before i finally played to the end.

Leeza
09-04-2004, 08:25 AM
No. That would be like cheating yourself.

Zante
09-04-2004, 07:15 PM
I do it quite often, so I can get a feeling for the game first and then start it for "real".

Polyonymous
09-04-2004, 08:55 PM
all the time. actually ive played FF8 about 6 times and i havent even beat it yet because i missed something or thought it would be better if i did something a different way. Im gona get through the game with all the items, all the best magic, all the side quests finished, all the GF's with all of thier abilities complete..... you get the point. this time its gona be perfect

Xander
09-05-2004, 04:37 PM
The only games I really start over from the beginning are because I've left them alone for so long, I've lost my flow and I want to start again so I know what's going on and what I'm doing. I did this with FFVI and FFVIII twice ^_^;; And now I'm bored of them again...

Breine
09-05-2004, 06:20 PM
It happens, but it's very rare. For example if I missed and item, or something, and it really, really, really bugs me, and I'm not too far in the game, then I start over from the beginning just to get the damn item... :)

Also, as Xander said, if I've lost my flow in the game, then I'll start over again... o_O

Lord Chainsaw
09-06-2004, 06:14 AM
I usually play a game twice. Once I go through it without a guide, and then I play through it a second time using a guide and finding all the secrets and beating all the superbosses.

One of the few exceptions is when I played Suikoden II. I started it once, got about halfway through, and then stopped for about a year. I had to restart because I forgot the story. I restarted and decided I would beat the game without a guide, and just go back and get all the stars for the good ending after I'd already finished the game. Well, there's one star in the game that you have to get at a certain point in the game or you can never get again.

So I started over for the third time and got all 108 stars. Go me.

Doomgaze
09-06-2004, 06:50 AM
All the time. Also, if I don't play a game for awhile, I'll usually start over, get bored again, and stop playing, just to start a new game later.

This is why I have never beaten Xenosaga.

Halenite
09-13-2004, 05:55 PM
Often, mainly the FF games though.

BTW nice Lufia sig Lord Chainsaw!!!!!!

Lord Chainsaw
09-13-2004, 07:21 PM
BTW nice Lufia sig Lord Chainsaw!!!!!!

Why, thank you. I try. The next step is going to be to integrate the Four Sinistrals from Lufia 1 with that picture so that I'll have a picture of each of them next to each other in both games. It's going to be a bit hard to do and I've just not had the time to start on it yet.

black orb
09-14-2004, 01:00 AM
All the time. Also, if I don't play a game for awhile, I'll usually start over, get bored again, and stop playing, just to start a new game later.
>>> Same here..

Jolts
09-14-2004, 07:01 AM
Conditions that may be the reason I restart a game:

I played through it without doing everything at first, just to see the cinematics.
I feel like totally annihilating the AI by using a cheat device (Gameshark, Codebreaker, etc...).
I haven't played the game in a while.
I suddenly got an urge to do so.
I abandoned a previous file/game/save (whatever you wanna' call it) so long that I forgot what I was doing.
I feel like watching the cutscenes and/or fighting bosses again, because some of them are pretty cool (Dragon Ball Z: Budokai, Kingdom Hearts, Metal Gear Solid, etc...).

Giga Guess
09-15-2004, 06:37 PM
I do. I mean, otherwise, why buy the game? I mean a single play through in rental charges in most cases costs far less than buying, so if you're just gonna play it once, just rent it.

I play a game through again if I get a hankering for it.

kikimm
09-16-2004, 04:50 AM
Only when completely neccessary. Like in FF8, I was going to beat a certain person at the end of the first disc (k? or c?), but I relied on my GFs WAY too much throughout my game, and was doing about 300-400 damage. I'm surprised I got away with going through almost the whole game like that. So I was pretty much screwed. *Erase file*. My second play-through was much better, as I really understood what I was doing then.

I'm sure I've done it again, with another game, but I don't feel like thinking back. :eep:

:D

Erdrick Holmes
09-16-2004, 05:03 AM
I always replay games. Right now I'm playing Metal Gear Solid 2 once through each difficulty setting *shutters at hard mode*

Jolts
09-16-2004, 06:10 AM
The video game I've restarted the most is...

*begin drum roll*

*end stupid and unnecessary drum roll*

The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time!!
Why? Mainly, because the boss battles are AWESOME. If only it was like The Legend Of Zelda: Majora's Mask, where you could refight the bosses as many times as you wanted (also, too bad the bosses in MM weren't as good as the ones in OOT).

Heartless
09-16-2004, 11:45 AM

Me too..

Meat Puppet
09-16-2004, 12:33 PM
Who cares if I miss a couple of stupid summons I still kick the last bosses butt anyway :smash:

Project G
09-16-2004, 01:08 PM
Always, especially on FF

louby_4eva
09-16-2004, 07:57 PM
i never restart a game, Ive gotta finish it, like legend of Legaia, I started playing it about 3/4 yrs ago, got to a boss I couldnt defeat. Didnt play the game for a year, then carried on, I eventually completed it but it took about 2/3 years, cos I kept stoppin for long peroids of time. I did 4got the storyline and controls and what some things did but remembered after a while of playin it again.......I dont think ive ever restarted a game. :)

Ultima Shadow
09-16-2004, 08:22 PM
When I played BGII... I think I restarted atleast 20 times because I wanted to make a new main character. :rolleyes2

Yea, seriously... atleast 20 TIMES!!!

Rainecloud
09-18-2004, 02:19 PM
I've completed FF VII, VIII, IX and X numerous times.

I don't usually bother replaying any other type of game.

Khaotic
09-18-2004, 03:55 PM
i've played from start to finish:

ff7 x 4
ff8 x 2
ff9 x 2
ff10 x 2
ff10-2 geez.. I dont even know, I had to restart this so many times..

kikimm
09-19-2004, 05:18 AM
When I played BGII... I think I restarted atleast 20 times because I wanted to make a new main character. :rolleyes2

Yea, seriously... atleast 20 TIMES!!!

That reminds me. I've replayed Morrowind millions. Although I really only have one character that I'm actually getting anywhere with. It gets fairly boring doing the same quests over and over again, only with a different person, with different abilities. *sigh*.

escobert
09-19-2004, 05:21 AM
I did it with Knights of the old republic but other then that no.

Ryth
10-06-2004, 01:56 AM
I do it pretty rarely only when it is worth my time like if I missed a secret ending or something.