PDA

View Full Version : Installing Knoppix to a HD

Shoeberto
09-04-2004, 03:38 AM
I've got a Knoppix distro that is really cool and unlike anything else I've been able to find. It's called Mediainlinux, and it's multimedia-editing oriented. Really, it's the only one at distrowatch I could find of its type - all the others were media players or something for turning a box into a DVD player. Bah.

The biggest flaw is the fact that multimedia editing programs are notorious RAM hogs. Where does Knoppix run? In the RAM. So I want to install it to a hard drive.

There's a few guides I've seen. Two say that you run a command as root that starts a nice GUI installer, neither of which work (one of them was on the Mediainlinux web page, and was the only way mentioned.) The last was a long complicated thing that I couldn't easily access outside of Windows because there's yet to be Linux support for my wifi card and I didn't feel like running an ethernet cable to my router.

So either a) give me a guide that <i>works</i> for putting Knoppix on a ext2 partition, or b) direct me to a non-live CD distro that is as good as Mediainlinux - meaning full firewire support and the heaps of heaps of heaps of heaps of preinstalled media editing tools.

Dr Unne
09-04-2004, 03:57 PM
What guide did you use? Can you link to the GUI installer instructions that didn't work? How did it not work? Error messages? What programs does Medianlinux have that you want? You can almost certainly find those programs elsewhere and install them for other distros.

Shoeberto
09-04-2004, 04:13 PM
I've tried installing them on other distros and ended up digging myself a deep hole of dependancies and messing up global variables. I'd really like to have it preinstalled.

<a href="http://www.mediainlinux.org/index.php/mediainlinux/documentation/tutorials/medianlinux_2_installation?eZSESSIDmediainlinux=5a39cea16c0912d83190abc19e16b5d9">This</a> is one of the guides I tried, right off the official website. The console just said that the command didn't exist. There was another one, I think, called knx-hdinstall or something that yielded the same message. (I did both in the root console)

Dr Unne
09-04-2004, 06:57 PM
If the command doesn't exist, type

locate knoppix-installer

and it'll find it, then type the whole path to the command. If locate doesn't find anything, then you can try

find / -iname knoppix-installer

but that will probably take a half hour to finish. But it will find it if it exists. Did you do this AS root? The root user usually has a different $PATH than a normal user, so different commands will work as root. (To oversimplify a bit.)

So far as dependency problems and whatnot, that's what Gentoo is for. What programs are you looking for? If you tell me, I can see if they exist in Gentoo.

Shoeberto
09-04-2004, 08:09 PM
It's really hard to narrow them down. Mediainlinux has a LOT of programs that I could forsee myself using at some time or another.

<A href="http://www.mediainlinux.org/index.php/mediainlinux/software/in_mediainlinux/mediainlinux_2_siggraph_edition_list_of_packages">This</a> is a list of all the programs and dependencies preinstalled in the version I'm running. It's a big list, but shows pretty well the different things already in it.

edit: Locate worked. I should've thought of that. It's been a while since I messed around too much in Linux, since the last time I did it I just started digging myself a hole. Ah well. Thanks.