PDA

View Full Version : help with codec

Lon611
09-04-2004, 07:26 PM
okay, so recently, i downloaded "gundam wing:endless waltz" becuz some1 on an anime thread reminded me that it existed :rolleyes2 . it took me like 2hrs 2 download, and now when i play it in both windows media player and the DivX player, it just shows lines. in the DivX player its green static, and in windows media player, there are like 10 diagonal lines from the top. i don't see nething!!!!!!!!but the thing is, the audio works perfectly.

so i tried looking for a codec online but i couldn't find ne. can ne1 help me with my situation or point me in the right direction for a decent codec that can helP?thanx :D

Shoeberto
09-04-2004, 08:00 PM
Does it give you any message as to what video codec it requires, or can you Right Click>Properties it to find out what codec is required? It's kind of hard to track down what you'll need otherwise.

Lon611
09-04-2004, 08:03 PM
nope it doesn't give me ne idea of wat codec i need. it just plays. i have windows media player 10

Rostum
09-05-2004, 09:54 AM
nope it doesn't give me ne idea of wat codec i need. it just plays. i have windows media player 10

There you go, that one's in a beta stage I believe. Go back to WMP9 or something.

CloudSquallandZidane
09-05-2004, 04:21 PM
whats the file extention?

Lon611
09-05-2004, 10:28 PM
file extension meaning what?

neways, so now when i play shanghai soccer, its a big giant green screen with a couple bold diagonal lines on top, but the audio is perfect. lemme try going back 2 windows media 9.....but will it let me downgrade?i tried dl windows media player 7.1 and it said i couldn't install cuz there's a higher version...

Phoenix Corps
09-06-2004, 12:06 AM
Make sure that your DIVX has all of the necessary upgrades and is the newest version.

edczxcvbnm
09-06-2004, 01:20 AM
Maybe it was encoded with Xvid. Try downloading that codec.

Lon611
09-06-2004, 02:19 AM
i just got a new cpu. im hella lazy :D it was infuriating me 2 tha point where i was feeling light-headed. hopefully with this new cpu i can play it...

oh, and i didn't pay any money, my dad makes cpu's so just in case u were wondering why im so lazy. its easier for me 2 get a hold of a new cpu :D

Dr Unne
09-06-2004, 02:51 AM
How this lasted in this forum so long without being moved to Help, I don't know.

crono_logical
09-06-2004, 09:33 AM
Once you get the green screen, you've ruined your codecs by recently installing a bad codec, and probably by installing something related to Microsoft - that's been my experience, anyway :p Unless there's an uninstall to get rid of such offending codecs, or you know what to touch in the registry to undo the mess and unregister such codec, or you understand how to do codec overrides for various fourccs etc. at the very least in a single player such as in Media Player Classic (http://www.sf.net/projects/guliverkli) (though that's only a temporary solution), you're stuck and will need to reinstall Windows to clean the mess you made :p Installing more and more codecs to try and get around it is a bad idea.

edczxcvbnm
09-06-2004, 04:57 PM
If he has windows XP maybe he could do a system restore? That would undo the codec stuff but depends on what he has done since he installed the beta.

Baloki
09-06-2004, 05:13 PM
Media Player has a whole Codecs section including an option to remove codecs individually, THERE IS NO NEED TO REINSTALL!

Lon611
09-06-2004, 07:33 PM
well i did have windows xp but not i have windows 2000 professional.im stilldl my movie, so il see if it works or not in about an hour. thankx you guys 4 the help. i think im using windows media 8 now