PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy X: The Novel

Dark Songstress
09-05-2004, 02:37 AM
I was at school and this idea pop in my head :rolleyes2 : Final Fantasy X got a very beautiful storyline, maybe i can write a novel about it. so i,m gonna get the game on Christmas and play it alot so i can get the story. it,ll be cool if Hironobu Sakaguchi, the father of Final Fantasy could do a introduction in it :) . anyone think this is a good idea?

BahamutZer0
09-05-2004, 02:51 AM
Oh! I think a good book would be about when little Auron and Braska and Jecht fought sin! Like how their adventure started off and ended. I think that would be a cool idea! :mog: :mog: :mog: :mog:

Azure Chrysanthemum
09-05-2004, 03:07 AM
I've seen this idea in a fanfiction before.

Lon611
09-05-2004, 03:54 AM
omg! i had the same idea except mine happend in the shower :rolleyes2 lol

but its a lil different. basically itd be a book, but using the masterpiece story elemnts from various ff's and other stuff i've been interested in. ill start writing it soon....

after a couple times of playing ffx, i taped the plot wiht my vcr. yah, i said it. its not that long, about 9 hours. but 9 hrs of just plot. it took about 1 1/2 video tapes. i think this would be a good method 2 help you with ur novel, have fun and send me a copy!

UltimateSpamGrover
09-05-2004, 04:47 AM
o_0 maybe you've been playing too much FFX

arcdragon9
09-05-2004, 05:05 AM
Maybe not about Braska, or Yuna. But if you wrote about summoners of the past and how their journeys went. Their trails, favorite summons, gaurdians, ect. And having the guardians with past jobs and skills not used in 10 or 10-2, Like Dragoon, monk, ect. But hey whatever. To me as a writer, writing is about expression and/or having fun. So have at it and knock urself out. Whatever you do, you should post it somewhere, I'd like toi see what you come up with and maybe, if you want, give helpful ideas and constructive critcism. :cool:

DMKA
09-05-2004, 07:17 AM
It better be a graphic novel or I ain't buyin'.

Armisael
09-05-2004, 08:55 AM
omg! i had the same idea except mine happend in the shower :rolleyes2 lol

:lol: :lol:

Well Dark Songstress it seems a cool idea,try it and please send me a copy too.

Mo-Nercy
09-05-2004, 11:41 AM
Tried it. I used to love writing short stories but only short ones, I found that the longer it went, the more boring and uninterested I became in writing it. The longest original piece I've ever written is about 20K words.

Yeah, as I was saying. I tried doing an FFX: The Novel but as I've already explained, it grew tiresome for me really quickly and after I got up to Djose Temple I had to delete the awful thing. Surprisingly, without being surprising I discovered that I had been kinda inventing my own little side stories along the way. Example: I had given the characters surnames, given several NPCs a few moments in the spotlight and replaced Maechen with reoccuring dreams that Tidus had every now and then because I thought it be more symbolic of his connection to Spira and Sin.

I realised that I prefered writing original stuff because I could let my mind just kinda flow and come up with whatever without being bound to the restrictions that would come with writing a fanfic or in this case, a novel version of a game.

But everyone's different. Personally, I wouldn't try it again but I am looking forward to seeing how well you can make your's out to be.

Dark Songstress
09-05-2004, 11:54 AM
o_0 maybe you,ve been playing too much FFX

i don,t even own the game, I only rental it twice, but I,m stuck at the Sinspawn boss battle

Old Manus
09-05-2004, 12:59 PM
Then writing its story might be hard.

Dark Songstress
09-05-2004, 08:10 PM
thanks for the comments everyone! It may take 1 or 2 years, but it worth it. :) one more question: is there a special place where people can post books between 250-750 pages or something like that?

EDITED: Oh, and it gonna be a chapter book. ;)

Lon611
09-05-2004, 10:37 PM
yah, a library :lol: :lol: :lol:

no, but a book with taht many pages shouldn't be that large. maybe a couple megabytes?if so, you can practically post it newhere.

beware:if you're planning to copy FFX there are already plot script out that have every line spoken within the game. but then again, a novel is different than a script

good luck and send me a copy!!!

ShivaBlizzard8
09-06-2004, 12:00 AM
I wrote half of one for ff8 - it was a lot of fun. I used the online script to get the dialogue, then cut what I didn't want, and changed things here and there for realism. Then I put different parts in the point of view of various characters, Fujin being the most fum, and added lots of description. I'd love to finish it someday, but it is a HUGE undertaking. Good luck.

Dark Songstress
09-07-2004, 12:01 AM
so Lon611, if there a online plot script with all the dialogue on it. where and how can I get it?

Lon611
09-07-2004, 12:36 AM
uhm...hmm....iuno. lol :D final fanatasy worlds apart used 2 have a script of both ffix and ffx. but they've since remodeled and seem to have wiped out there entire database. im sorry. i think i kept a copy on my old cpu, but im not sure. il attach it later if i still have it ;)

EDIT:i found their old page that still works.

Click here for the full FFX Plot Script (http://www.ffwa.org/ff10/script-part1.html)

I hope that helps :D send me a copy of your novel when your done :D

square_is_the_best
09-07-2004, 01:54 AM
Hate to rain on your parades...but isn't that like...I dunno...illegal?

Dark Songstress
09-07-2004, 03:34 AM
Hate to rain on your parades...but isn,t that like...I dunno...illegal?

huh? what do you mean?

Optium
09-07-2004, 03:57 AM
As long as she doesn't sell it it's not a problem really, I'm not sure it's 100%
legal to distribute it for free, but as long as it's not sold it's safe to say
nobody would care.

.opt

Lon611
09-07-2004, 06:42 AM
iuno if itd be illegal, as long as she's not copying the script and thats it

i think you should do wat arcdragon9 said. you should give inside info about other ppl, like Lady Yocun or High Summoner Ohalland. give detail stories about their adventures;stuff thats not "official", that way you can use your own imagination.

EDIT:on a personal note, i started my book. its not ff, its a futuristic sci-fi, but some of the plot and emotions that come forth are originated in certain ff and other stuff. the title is "occasus". its latin. go look it up cuz im going 2 sleep.

good luck Dark Songstress!

ShivaBlizzard8
09-07-2004, 04:44 PM
It shouldn't be illegal (aka copyright infringement) as long as

1. It isn't actually published or sold in any way, and

2. A disclaimer is written at the beginning somewhere saying something to the effect of, "Characters and dialouge and yadda yadda yadda belong to Square Enix and this is just for fun. No infrigement is intended, so please don't sue me because I'm a poor kid."

Then, it should be fine. :p

Dark Songstress
09-08-2004, 01:58 AM
if I do published it, is there a way to get special permission from the creators of Final Fantasy X so that it wouldn,t be illegal. I know it weird, but is it possible?

Trumpet Thief
09-08-2004, 02:11 AM
chaos: Meh, from what I think it gets really boring. Same with writing fanfiction for different video games, but that's just my opinion.

Rubedo: It gets quite tiresome, and besides, it isn't that easy to get a book published. ie. no errors, good length. And if you were to make money off of it, I'm pretty sure Square wouldn't allow it.

Trowa: See for yourself though. Sorry if we sounded rude there.

square_is_the_best
09-08-2004, 02:55 AM
if I do published it, is there a way to get special permission from the creators of Final Fantasy X so that it wouldn,t be illegal. I know it weird, but is it possible?

Well since its apparently not illegal, I'm sure it is possible.

Trumpet Thief
09-08-2004, 02:59 AM
chaos: Hey SITB! I haven't seen you for a while!

Lon611
09-08-2004, 04:10 AM
chances are by the time you do finish the project tho that FFX will be a memory of yesterday, and we'll all be graced with FFXII and FFXIII!!!!!!!!!so iuno about the chances that square will publish something that would at the time be around 5 yrs old...my thots are 2 keep it on the internet :D

ShivaBlizzard8
09-09-2004, 01:43 AM

As a writer, I can tell you from first-hand experience that getting ANYTHING published is VERY hard. There are agents and contracts and corporations involved in the novel business, and since you are dealing with something which isn't your own work but owned lock, stock, and barrel by Square Enix, you definately can't do this on your own without lawsuits getting involved.

The only way to get "permission" is the same way authors "novelize" movies and TV shows - through a long, draw-out process. Basically, since they own these characters and the storyline, you can only do with them what they allow you to, meaning - they most likely would buy the manuscript from you, and publish it themselves so that they have control over it. The chances of them being interested in this idea at all are slim, and the chances that they would hire some kid who has never published anything before to represent their game is even slimer.

Bottom line? DON'T worry about publishing yet. You're getting ahead of yourself. Write the thing first, and do it for yourself. For fun. When and if you actually complete the script, you can start writing letters and pestering company execs to think about your idea. It will probably get nowhere, but it doesn't hurt to ask. HOWEVER, enjoy writing it for the sake of writing it, because dreams of seeing it on a bookself most likely will never come true. Good luck. :)

square_is_the_best
09-09-2004, 04:22 AM
Now why did you have to go and crush her dreams like that? I want to see a FFX novel. Don't listen to this psycho. I'm sure there are plenty interested people. But I do agree that you shouldn't get your hopes set on publishing it.

ShivaBlizzard8
09-09-2004, 04:36 AM
I didn't mean to "crush" anybody's dreams. I'm just being realistic when saying that its highly unlikely you could ever gain the LEGAL rights to publish an FF novel. It's more $$ for Square to do it themselves, and they don't seem to have much interest in doing so. However, writing a novel for FUN is great, as I said, I've done so myself, and I ENCOURAGE IT. I THINK THE IDEA'S GREAT. GO FOR IT. AFTER its DONE, THEN you can see what you can do about publishing. :p

And I DO know what I'm talking about - I have a BA in creative writing and am in the process of getting my Masters. And I've published stuff. It's HARD. I encourage everyone to try, but to go about it intelligently. I also don't appreciate being called a psycho, thanks. :mad2:

Lon611
09-09-2004, 04:39 AM
I'm just being realistic when saying that its highly unlikely you could ever gain the LEGAL rights to publish an FF novel.

maybe we should get the ILLEGAL rights :blahblah: :D :p :rolleyes2

ShivaBlizzard8
09-09-2004, 04:40 AM
LOL :p

Dark Songstress
09-10-2004, 10:07 PM
I made my decision. I,m gonna writing the novel just for fun, NO PUBLISHING! and I,m gonna post it here at EoFF in 2006 when I,m done.

Armisael
09-10-2004, 10:11 PM
I made my decision. I,m gonna writing the novel just for fun, NO PUBLISHING! and I,m gonna post it here at EoFF in 2006 when I,m done.
That's good. :D

Trumpet Thief
09-11-2004, 12:57 AM
Trowa: Go right ahead, but don't feel ashamed if you get bored, and whatnot. :p

square_is_the_best
09-11-2004, 03:34 AM
I also don't appreciate being called a psycho, thanks. :mad2:

Awww.. I jest. :p

Edit: Man i gotta read all of the posts before posting. Anyway best of luck to ya DS. I look forward to reading it.

Ashton
09-12-2004, 04:10 PM
I always wanted a Final Fantasy Book and a FFX Book sounds sweet :)

ShivaBlizzard8
09-13-2004, 12:33 AM
Good luck - I look foreward to reading it. :)

NightfallInfernal
09-13-2004, 12:34 AM
reading a book from FFX? thats a terrible idea, for the sake of humanity dont fo it.

Trumpet Thief
09-13-2004, 12:36 AM
chaos: Well, I never thought FFX was that beautiful (whatever you wanna call it) to have a book about it. Anyhoo, do what you want. Try your best. Although, in my opinion, it may not attract too many. No offense there. Good luck!

Rubedo: Be sure to try your best on it, and hopefully add as many characters as you want, as long as none of them are Mary Sue.

Dark Songstress
10-12-2004, 11:10 PM
hey, sorry it been a while. I,m not gonna write a FFX book because I been having some Internet Connection problems, a few family problems, school, and.....well.....there just too much going on. I didn,t mean to make anyone mad if I did, but somebody else can write a FFX book if they want. I,m just let you guys know.

firest0rm
11-20-2005, 05:35 AM
I've been studying this thread with quite some interest... I don't know if anyone else is anymore. ShivaBlizzard8, if you're still listening, I've found your comments most insightful.

Personally, I have a burning desire to complete a high-quality novel equivalent of Final Fantasy VII. I want to do it for the people who aren't into video games but who still appreciate a deep, juicy, sticky plot.

I've been working on it for a a few years now... actually... and I only have five chapters. I'm fairly happy with what's there, though. If anyone wants to take a look, you can find it at

http://ff7novel.co.nr

The site itself is still being perfected – hopefully soon people will be able to leave comments – but for now you can read it. Drop me an email if you have any comments.

Lisa Marie
11-20-2005, 01:13 PM
Well I think it's a really good idea! As a matter of fact, I'm suprised that no one thought of this before. I think that around the time when the game was first released that it would've been a hit.

Old Manus
11-20-2005, 02:39 PM
Hey look Jesus posted on page 1 before he died

RaidenWeb17
11-21-2005, 12:39 AM
I say you should write one about the war between Bevelle and Zanarkand. That would be cool with the machina and the summoners going at it.

Tabris
11-21-2005, 07:35 PM
It has been a dream of mine for quite a while now, to be able to read a novel from Spira. It doesn't have to be about Tidus and Yuna's journey at all, but I would love if one could read various novels about different subjects and ages of Spira. (More or less like you can do with Spira - officially approved fanfics).

I know that there are tons of FF-X fanfic out there, and I've read some interesting ones. Unfortunately, it seems like most people like to write variuos shipping-novels between two of the characters in the game, which I myself don't find interesting at all.