PDA

View Full Version : Subtitles?

Baloki
09-07-2004, 04:29 PM
When watching a DVD do you have them turned on or off?

Would you like subtitles in real life?

What is a subtitle?

Have you ever read a funny subtitle?

Xander
09-07-2004, 04:47 PM
I don't put them on DVDs, but I usually put them on when watching television, dunno why, it's just become a habit now. No to the other questions.

Silmaril
09-07-2004, 04:58 PM
I don't put the subtitles on when watching a DVD.

Sometimes, when there's an urdu or hindi movie on TV and they put english subtitles, they can become really funky. :D

Nephiliam
09-07-2004, 05:07 PM
I don't put them on except to find out what exactly was said, sometimes.

Polyonymous
09-07-2004, 05:57 PM
same here, i only put the subtitles on when you cant quite make out what they are saying. I also put them on when im watching movies late at night and dont want to wake anyone up.

Leeza
09-07-2004, 06:11 PM
No I do not ever put subtitles on because they distract from the movie. For some reason though my DVD player will switch them on all by itself sometimes so then we have to go back in and reset it.

Shlup
09-07-2004, 06:35 PM
I watch so much Asian stuff I'm used to subtitles, so I prefer them on. But if I'm not watching alone then everyone else wants them off. So poop to them.

Agent Proto
09-07-2004, 06:40 PM
For anime or foreign movies. Sure I'll use subtitles. Otherwise, I won't.

Rainecloud
09-07-2004, 06:52 PM
I only have subtitles switched on if I'm watching a foreign movie.

*nods*

Seifer
09-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Subtitles? Those things deserve to CHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOKE! >=O

Psychotic
09-07-2004, 07:49 PM
When watching a DVD do you have them turned on or off?

ON. AND ON TV TOO! :D

Would you like subtitles in real life?

Yes. Maybe. I dunno.

What is a subtitle?

Oh Baloki. Baloki, Baloki, Baloki. What ISN'T a subtitle? :yellowkin

A few months back there was a thread in General Chat about a REALLY badly subtitled LoTR: TTT version, with gems like: "Too long I wanted my sister" :upsidedow

Cz
09-07-2004, 08:04 PM
Subtitles can interfere with the pacing of a line, and have a negative affect on the film as a whole.

Take, for example, the scene in Kill Bill Vol. 2 when the Bride's name is finally revealed. If you watch it with subtitles, the name appears before the line is even complete, and ruins a key moment.

However, when watching foreign films, I take subtitles over dubbing.

SomethingBig
09-07-2004, 08:45 PM
Just so you know, Baloki, I like watching you with subtitles.

I only watch my Japanese movies and shows with subtitles. They're unnecessary when watching shows in English.

Zell's Fists of Fury
09-07-2004, 09:11 PM
http://www.abum.com/?show_media=1095

Meat Puppet
09-07-2004, 10:30 PM
After a heavy night of loud rock music and alcohol, I like to come home and turn the sound off, the brightness down and subtitles on. Although reading it gives me a headache.

Erased
09-07-2004, 10:34 PM
Subtitles are just fabulous. That last sentence was weird. I prefer subtitles over dubbed, for anything. I wish I had subtitles in real life, that way I could read what some random people are saying. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA-and such. Subtitles are my friend ^^ they make watching tv a bit more like a picture book!

kikimm
09-08-2004, 04:10 AM

A few months back there was a thread in General Chat about a REALLY badly subtitled LoTR: TTT version, with gems like: "Too long I wanted my sister" :upsidedow

That reminds me...there was this website where this guy had the entire first movie done in really bad subtitles. Funny stuff, I must say. :p

:D

tomothy
09-08-2004, 07:16 AM
^^http://public.www.planetmirror.com/pub/engrish/ttt_captions/00-20/two-towers-13.jpg ^^

i always have them on, but i get yelled at to turn them off by anyone else who's watching with me.

usually i dont even have sound on, and just crank some music while i watch the movie with subs :mad:

Logan
09-08-2004, 02:55 PM
When watching a DVD do you have them turned on or off? Depends on what language I'm listening to.

Would you like subtitles in real life? Yes!

What is a subtitle? Your face!

Have you ever read a funny subtitle? Maybe. Silly chobits! I can't find the picture I had taken of it though. It was Sumomo talking to Hideki, and she said she was in pubic mode. Instead of public mode. :(

Mahal Kita
09-09-2004, 07:03 AM
<b>When watching a DVD do you have them turned on or off?</b>

Depends. If it's in a foreign language, sure, but I don't mind anime. Most anime dubbed is decent for me some reason, sure they weren't animated to be exactly in time in English but when it's in Japanese and you have to make an effort to read and watch... ^_~

<b>Would you like subtitles in real life?</b>

Not really...

<b>What is a subtitle?</b>

A subtitle? xP

<b>Have you ever read a funny subtitle?</b>

Not that I remember.

Thunday Man
09-09-2004, 12:24 PM
I use them when I'm feelin lazy to hear. But then i realize reading is work :mad2: