PDA

View Full Version : FFVIII rules!

Gunblade_Master
09-07-2004, 10:31 PM
flame me if you wish, i got my gunblade to kill you all, flamers.

Turk
09-07-2004, 11:02 PM
i beat them both (ffviii first) and i loved both of them. for some reason i like ffviii more because im a romanticist (not just in a relation sense), but i would not argue if people said ffvii is better.

Flying Mullet
09-07-2004, 11:06 PM
No, sorry, FFVIII does not rule. Thanks for playing.

TheAbominatrix
09-07-2004, 11:08 PM
I like VIII's gameplay, but aside from that I think it was one of the worst Final Fantasys ever. The two main characters (Squall and Rinoa) were terrible and annoying (well, Squall wasnt at first, then he became obsessed with Rinoa and became intolerable), and all the other characters were shoved into the background and didnt get much character development. The game made it clear that only Rinoa and Squall mattered, and the others were just there as catalysts.

I felt the romance was forced and just annoying... drawing magic blewn... Triple Triad was fun, the fmvs were pretty...

All that having been said, I think VI is far better. Heck, anything is far better.

Necronopticous
09-07-2004, 11:29 PM
This game affected me the most emotionally out of any game in the series, actually... The most out of any game, period. There are lots of reasons for this, things in my real life going on around the time I played it, etc. For all of these reasons this game remains my favorite in the series, it's the only game I was physically compelled to cry during (twice to be exact). But just like the crew said, if you don't like Rinoa the game will suck to you. Many people hate this game because they didn't love the characters or couldn't relate I guess. I could completely because Squall was everything I wanted to be at the time, and the whole game just "worked" for me. I can understand how people hate this game, but personally I agree with the initial statement, Final Fantasy VIII definately does rock. You may not like it, but that doesn't make it a bad game.

Polaris
09-08-2004, 09:10 AM
Yeah FF8 really rocks is the most brilliant ff game!

http://adeselna.no.sapo.pt/selphie2.gif

http://adeselna.no.sapo.pt/squall6.gif

Armisael
09-08-2004, 09:19 AM
Yeah FF8 really rocks is the most brilliant ff game!

http://adeselna.no.sapo.pt/selphie2.gif

http://adeselna.no.sapo.pt/squall6.gif
And the most romantic too. :D

stesia
09-08-2004, 02:09 PM
rinoa annoyd me she moved on pretty quicky when she thought seifer was dead

Jolts
09-08-2004, 02:16 PM
flame me if you wish, i got my gunblade to kill you all, flamers.
Okay :hot:.

:lol: Just kidding. I don't like this game as much as FFT, FFVII, or FFX, but it's certainly better than FFIX (my opinion).

Necronopticous
09-08-2004, 04:24 PM

She just has a thing for a guy with a gunblade, if she saw Brad Pitt with a gunblade in Deling city she would have dumped Squall in a second.

Polaris
09-08-2004, 04:29 PM
:lol:

TheAbominatrix
09-08-2004, 11:14 PM

Yeah I thought that was pretty cruel. By the time you reach your next destination, not only is she completly over Seifer, but she's ALL OVER Squall.

Gunblade_Master
09-09-2004, 01:57 AM
No, sorry, FFVIII does not rule. Thanks for playing.

Yes, it does so. :chop:

Armisael
09-09-2004, 09:49 AM
Yeah I thought that was pretty cruel. By the time you reach your next destination, not only is she completly over Seifer, but she's ALL OVER Squall.
Guys what do you expect?To cry her whole life for Seifer?And don't forget that it was love at first sight with Squall.

TheAbominatrix
09-09-2004, 10:17 AM
Expecting someone to show a bit of respect for the dead does not mean we think she should cry forever. She seemed so upset when it happened, yet by the time you reach Galbadia (probably a few hours in their world), she's over it. She may not have still been Seifer's girlfriend, but she could have at least shown respect by not throwing herself all over Squall. Even the rest of the party, most of whom didnt even like him gave a crap still. Even Zell, who couldnt stand Seifer, cared more than Rinoa did.

And how was it love at first sight? She danced with him, then ran off (instead of, as one does when they meet their 'true love' -not that I believe in the love at first sight bull- lingering with him when she had the rest of the night to find Cid). When they meet again in Timber, she really doesnt seem to give one whit that it's him. If it was love at first sight, she would have cared more, acknowledged him more. The reasons Rinoa went after Squall seemed to be the same as the reasons Aerith went after Cloud (initial reasons again), because they reminded them of dead lovers.

Rinoa was really crass after Seifer's death, but that fits in with her selfish attitude throughout the game. The only reason she was fighting for the freedom of Timber was just to irk her dad, remember? She did a lot of selfish, bullheaded things throughout the game, not to mention needing to be rescured four times. Sheesh, and people call Rosa a damsel in distress. At least you only have to save her butt once.

Rusty
09-09-2004, 03:02 PM
Final Fantasy VIII is the best ever :):):)

Armisael
09-09-2004, 03:10 PM
Expecting someone to show a bit of respect for the dead does not mean we think she should cry forever. She seemed so upset when it happened, yet by the time you reach Galbadia (probably a few hours in their world), she's over it. She may not have still been Seifer's girlfriend, but she could have at least shown respect by not throwing herself all over Squall. Even the rest of the party, most of whom didnt even like him gave a crap still. Even Zell, who couldnt stand Seifer, cared more than Rinoa did.

And how was it love at first sight? She danced with him, then ran off (instead of, as one does when they meet their 'true love' -not that I believe in the love at first sight bull- lingering with him when she had the rest of the night to find Cid). When they meet again in Timber, she really doesnt seem to give one whit that it's him. If it was love at first sight, she would have cared more, acknowledged him more. The reasons Rinoa went after Squall seemed to be the same as the reasons Aerith went after Cloud (initial reasons again), because they reminded them of dead lovers.

Rinoa was really crass after Seifer's death, but that fits in with her selfish attitude throughout the game. The only reason she was fighting for the freedom of Timber was just to irk her dad, remember? She did a lot of selfish, bullheaded things throughout the game, not to mention needing to be rescured four times. Sheesh, and people call Rosa a damsel in distress. At least you only have to save her butt once.
I guess Rinoa is not your favorite right?

aeris2001x2
09-10-2004, 09:05 PM
its not fair 2 assume everyone one should follow your morals.

though 2 be fair i,d have 2 re-play the game again to really form a valid opinion. been awhile...

TheAbominatrix
09-10-2004, 10:28 PM
It's not really a moral issue. It's a issue of basic respect and kindness. I dont care if she doesnt follow them, but she makes me dislike her when she doesnt. I never said everyone had to follow them, did I? That's my opinion on her character and her disgusting behavior. I dont think people should worry more about getting a guy right then and there than the fact that someone has just died.

And no, she's not my favorite character. Those reasons are just some of the few.

Chris
09-10-2004, 10:57 PM
Here's a review I did sometime ago:

As much as I would like to give this game 3 stars, I just can't.
Final Fantasy VII was revolutionary in ever way and it stands as the best rpg today, and boy! That’s some hard shoes to fill out, but Final Fantasy VIII is great in its own way, even though it's not as good as FFVII it is an improvement over FFVII, the graphics are some of the best I've ever seen on the Playstation one console. The story in FFVIII is complicated, it's long and at times it drags out and out to infinity, even though it's long it can become quite tedious and the ultimate evil is not even that evil and it's without any substance. The junction system is complicated, junction and GF abilities to be learn, it took me along time to get use to this system and even now I'm not a hundred percent comfortable with it. GF's are the best way to battle, many of the GF's you have to find for yourself and some of them you have to draw to obtain, there's many kind of GF's such as: Shiva, Ifrit, Sirene, Bahamut and so on, many of them has been used in previous Final Fantasy games such as Final Fantasy IV (II) and Final Fantasy V. The character's in Final Fantasy VII are actually quite good and not as unlovable as everyone claims, Squall though is a real jerk, he's cold and detached and he doesn't even lighten up, not even at the end of the game, Rinoa is actually one of the only character's I couldn't stand, she's annoying and she seems helpless all of the time if I were a girl I would beat her down [*Evil hehehe*]. Irvine a ladies man, or at least he thinks so anyway, he's actually quite entertaining he also has a "thing" for Selphie. Quistis is really cool, she's strong and she really kicks ass, and her limit breaks are awesome as well, she kinda looks like a dominatrix with that leather whip [Hot]. Zell is also a very cool dude, he's constantly witty and tries on several of occasions to get a bit closer to everyone, actually as funny as he may be he's also somewhat of a loser. Selphie is funny and may come off a bit abrasive at time, under that witty shell she's actually quite unsure off where she stands in all of the drama that's evolving around her. Laguna the man who seeks a special person, he's dedicated to his beloved ones and will forever keep fighting for them. Ellone is my favorite character she's a very special child [woman, girl or whatever] with a special power, the power to let people see their past, she's actually a very significant person in the game, but you'll find out soon enough. The music in Final Fantasy VIII is just as good as in previous Final Fantasy games [except Final Fantasy VII], there's many wonderful themes in FFVIII such as "Fragments of Memories", "Julia's Piano", "Eyes On Me", "Credit Roll", "Ami" and so on. My main point is that overall Final Fantasy VIII is not as bad as many people say it is, many people tend to compare FFVIII to FFVII and that's not fair to either of the games, as much as I love all of the Final Fantasy games, FFVIII is just as worthy of the title as any other Final Fantasy game before it.

Story 8.5/10.0
Characters 9.0/10.0
Game play 8.5/10.0
Music/ Sound 9.5/10.0
Graphics 10.0/10.0
Overall 9.5/10.0

SeeDRankLou
09-10-2004, 11:09 PM
I don't know if this is just me being a guy, but I didn't noticed her attraction to Squall until Balamb Garden is mobile (if you took her to Balamb Garden, if not then at FH). I see Rinoa as a person who feels she should get along with everyone, and so she overcompensates certain aspects to try to please people. And at the same time, she doesn't necessarily need you to believe what she believes, but she does need you to acknowledge her thoughts, and she will argue her point until it's at least heard. And this is exaggerated with Squall because Squall just annoys the hell out of her, and vice versa. When Squall doesn't look like he's even listening to her, or what she says seems to go in one ear and out the other, it just pisses her off. I didn't see that as flirtation, I saw it as overcompensation on her part, until Balamb Garden is mobile and they can be around each other without tearing each others' heads off. But I do agree that she seemed rather callous when she heard of Seifer's imminent death, and that was really weird. She's not the type to keep her feelings inside, but she's also a very caring person. But even though she showed the least reaction about it, everyone was over it after the train ride, not just Rinoa. It's not like Squall was jumping for joy when Fujin and Rajin said he was probably still alive.

I liked Final Fantasy VIII, one of my favorite games.

TheAbominatrix
09-10-2004, 11:19 PM
Everyone was still upset, save for Rinoa, at Galbadia Garden. They're visibly upset. And Rinoa is all over Squall at Galbadia. You may not see it as flirtation, but I most certainly do. It may be her annoyance at Squall, but I see the "Hey Squall" "Hey Squall" "Hey Squall" as flirtattion and begging for attention solely from him. Quistis blows her off often at the beginning, but she still focuses on Squall.

I dont think she's a caring person at all, again I think she's very selfish. She does things with thoughts only to herself and to her own glory, like when she went to give Edea the bracelet. It was foolhardy and childish, especially considering that trained professionals were trying to handle it. She almost got herself killed, had to be saved (hey, that makes it five times), and put the mission in Jeopardy. Again, you may see all that as evidence of her caring, I see it as her selfish attitude. Same as her reasons for trying to save Timber. She doesnt seem to really care about the freedom of Timber for the sake of it being free, but rather that it's freedom would anger her father.

SeeDRankLou
09-11-2004, 12:26 AM
Everyone was still upset, save for Rinoa, at Galbadia Garden. They're visibly upset. And Rinoa is all over Squall at Galbadia. You may not see it as flirtation, but I most certainly do. It may be her annoyance at Squall, but I see the "Hey Squall" "Hey Squall" "Hey Squall" as flirtattion and begging for attention solely from him. Quistis blows her off often at the beginning, but she still focuses on Squall.

I dont think she's a caring person at all, again I think she's very selfish. She does things with thoughts only to herself and to her own glory, like when she went to give Edea the bracelet. It was foolhardy and childish, especially considering that trained professionals were trying to handle it. She almost got herself killed, had to be saved (hey, that makes it five times), and put the mission in Jeopardy. Again, you may see all that as evidence of her caring, I see it as her selfish attitude. Same as her reasons for trying to save Timber. She doesnt seem to really care about the freedom of Timber for the sake of it being free, but rather that it's freedom would anger her father.
I thought Galbadia Garden was when they found out Seifer had been executed. I was talking about after that, in Deling City.

I don't see Rinoa as selfish, but I do see her as naive. She didn't go to give Edea the bracelet thinking that she was going to fail and jeopardize the mission, she thought she was helping, she just has her own ways of things and is stubborn in being wrong about stuff, not to mention she doesn't really think but about five mintues into the future about things. I see her to be honestly trying to free Timber, her father is just in the position he is in and that is causing the conflict, not the other way around. I guess that's just a point of view, along with the flirting thing.

Trumpet Thief
09-11-2004, 01:06 AM
chaos: I thought the game was good, but I do have to agree about a few things. Rinoa got over Seifer very fast, and just jumped onto Squall. I think that that was very rushed, and at least, cared for a little while. Anyhoo, I still loved the game.

Rubedo: It was one of our favorites.

Trowa: FFVI and FFIV beat it though, although it is in a tie with FFVII. I enjoyed most of the game, and loved it, but it was still enferior to the greater FF's.

aeris2001x2
09-11-2004, 01:24 AM
i really dont think Rinoa rushes anything. shes 17, young, impressionable, on the re-bound and from a screwed up family background. its not fair imho to expect her to act all grown up. she is not an adult. going after Squall was just her way of coping...trying to get her knight in shinning armour 2 save her.

TheAbominatrix
09-11-2004, 01:58 AM
I thought Galbadia Garden was when they found out Seifer had been executed. I was talking about after that, in Deling City.

I don't see Rinoa as selfish, but I do see her as naive. She didn't go to give Edea the bracelet thinking that she was going to fail and jeopardize the mission, she thought she was helping, she just has her own ways of things and is stubborn in being wrong about stuff, not to mention she doesn't really think but about five mintues into the future about things. I see her to be honestly trying to free Timber, her father is just in the position he is in and that is causing the conflict, not the other way around. I guess that's just a point of view, along with the flirting thing.

You're right, it's been a long time since I've played. But even then, when everyone was upset, she was trouncing around and busy going "Hey Squall Hey Squall" and it drove me nuts. I know she didnt think she was going to fail when going to see Edea, but I still think that's an incredibly dumb and selfish thing to do. Everyone, the trained professionals mind you, rejected the idea, but she pressed on and snuck out and got herself in all kinds of trouble, selfishly only thinking of proving herself on that.

I really saw her as trying to anger her father with the problem in Timber. The group sort of half-asses the entire deal, though that could have been just because of their stupidity and lack of leadership. But yeah, matter of opinion.

i really dont think Rinoa rushes anything. shes 17, young, impressionable, on the re-bound and from a screwed up family background. its not fair imho to expect her to act all grown up. she is not an adult. going after Squall was just her way of coping...trying to get her knight in shinning armour 2 save her.

She's constantly trying to be an adult, and 17 is old enough to be held accountable. She's playing adult games with lives at stake but she's not nearly as serious or thoughtful as she needs to be. As I already said, she and her group seem to half-ass everything they do, which is just not acceptable when people's lives are at stake. All through the game, people's lives are at stake, and if she's going to come along she needs to learn to be responsible. There's no room on such important, serious, and adult missions for her childish behavior. There just isnt. She gets herself in far too much trouble, and wanting Squall to save her is just another aspect of her selfish attitude. She's putting him in danger for her own dreams, and that's not nice at all, especially with someone she says she loves. Even Selphie and Irvine can act like adults when they need to. Rinoa acting like a child would be acceptable in a normal situation, not the situation she and the SeeDs were in.

Gunblade_Master
09-11-2004, 06:38 PM
mmm... rinoa...

Del Murder
09-11-2004, 08:18 PM
This game had it's good points. I don't like that all the characters were basically the same except for limit breaks. The GF thing was great though, I also liked the junction system for the most part, though drawing magic was annoying. Music was the second best for any FF game, and the card game ruled. Three stars ***

TheAbominatrix
09-11-2004, 11:06 PM
mmm... rinoa...

xD I'd just like to say, with all the rants I've done, that is the BEST response EVER.

There's another thing in this game that bothered me, and I wanna know if it bothered any of the fans. The salary system. I liked that it made sense, rather than getting money from monsters, but it was really annoying when I kept getting pay deductions for no reason. It drove me insane.

Del Murder
09-11-2004, 11:59 PM
Yes, salary sucked. But it didn't matter because there was very little you needed to buy in this game anyway.

Gunblade_Master
09-12-2004, 03:13 AM
the salary and the limit break made sense...

"xD I'd just like to say, with all the rants I've done, that is the BEST response EVER" what rants?

"Music was the second best for any FF game..." :mad2:

Del Murder
09-12-2004, 04:00 AM
Sorry kiddo, but IX's score was something else.

Gunblade_Master
09-16-2004, 07:37 PM
yes...

i think "the place i'll return to someday" was a very good music.

i also think that ffix was way better than ffvii.

aeris2001x2
09-16-2004, 11:37 PM
now now, lets not go 2 far, ffIX was amazing, but hardly an ffVII.

thats just my opinion though, and ffIX soundtrack was sumthin else. :cool:

§håd0w
09-16-2004, 11:43 PM
Yes, salary sucked. But it didn't matter because there was very little you needed to buy in this game anyway.

Really the only thing you needed to pay for were train tickets, staying at an Inn, or remodleing weapons. Everything else you could aquire by either stealing of sidequests.

TheAbominatrix
09-17-2004, 01:25 AM
Yeah, but that didnt make the system any less annoying. I never understood why I was getting sudden paycuts. I just didnt make sense when I was running around, on a mission no less, and it's like "You suck, paycut!"

Codak
09-17-2004, 01:46 AM
People are STILL comparing these games?

I'd think you'd all have more fun finding things in common than pitting things against eachother.

Gunblade_Master
09-28-2004, 01:49 AM
sometimes, the music and the setting makes the difference...