PDA

View Full Version : Resident Evil: Apocolypse

BatChao
09-11-2004, 07:44 PM
Hey all! I saw this movie last night and must say I am really disappointed. Not because the movie is bad (I actually think it's an alright movie as far as sensless action movies go), but because it really doesn't do anything to try to stay true to the games besides throwing in some characters. I really like the first one because even though none of those characters were in the games, I felt it kept true to the spirit of RE. RE is a story about how different people are affected by Umbrella and in the first RE movie, that was their story and it had the same feel as the games. This is why I like the first movie... not because it was great by any means, but because it really made me feel like I was watching Resident Evil.

I was really excited about the sequel because it had Jill Valentine (one of my all time fave video game characters) and Nemesis and Carlos and other characters from the game and it took place in Raccoon City. It really looked like they might follow the plot from RE3. But sadly, they did not. What the film ended up as was some crazy action movie (not even horror) with little to do with the game. Not only was the story butchered to shreds, but so was the atmosphere. I think it all stems from Alice reappearing in this movie when she didn't have to....especially not with all these new superhuman powers. I think they should have left her out and focused more on Jill and Carlos and their battle to escape the city. There are some parts of the movie that work... the church, and the school were both pretty cool... most likely because of the absence of Alice. RE isn't about punching zombies in the face and doing crazy martial arts on them... it's about sneaking around unknown places not knowing what's gonna pop out at you. These scenes felt like that. They also did a great job on making the characters from the game look like they're supposed to. Jill totally looked like Jill... it was awesome! Nemesis was a pretty faithful recreating, and Carlos wasn't bad either.

Anyway, that's a lot to write about a movie I didn't really like. I mean... the movie itself was okay. The friends I went to see it with who don't follow the RE games though it was an alright movie. I just thought that it totally blew past it's source material, which makes me a bit sad. What did the rest of you think?

Polyonymous
09-11-2004, 07:53 PM
i personally am not to interested in the RE games, i played a couple different ones but i always found myself wondering where the heck i was supposed to go. The few times i played with my friend telling me where to go is when i had the most fun, but i still had to find all the items by myslef and figure stuff out, he just helped a little.I havent seen either of the RE movies but both look pretty good (the first looked better in my oppinion).

nik0tine
09-11-2004, 08:07 PM
The games are great but the movies suck.

kikimm
09-11-2004, 08:12 PM
I wish I could play the games, but I don't have a Gamecube. And I don't think they make any for playstation/2. *growl*. They look pretty good.

Oh,and no-haven't seen the movie. And now I don't want to. :tongue:

:D

Shoeberto
09-11-2004, 08:18 PM
You can pick up a copy of RE: Code Veronica X used for about $12 for PS2, if you'd like a fix, or just get a copy of 1/2/3 for PS1.

I'd like to see the movie, though I'm sure I'd be let down. I love the games but really disliked the first movie.

kikimm
09-11-2004, 08:46 PM
You can pick up a copy of RE: Code Veronica X used for about $12 for PS2, if you'd like a fix, or just get a copy of 1/2/3 for PS1.

That's what I thought, but i wasn't completely sure. I only wish they'd make the fourth one for ps2 also.

:D

louby_4eva
09-11-2004, 08:54 PM
Ive not seen the RE movie yet because its not out in the UK yet, but me and my friends figured it'd prob be rubbish. Does Alice save Jill at any point, cos we guessed that, Alice would be the main character and would end up saving Jill (even tho Jill could totally look after herself) oh and why has Alice got super-human powers?? thats just stupid. I love the RE series, ive completed RE 1 2 3 and 1 remake, Ive got all the novels, by S.D.Perry out currently (there's another coming out soon, cant wait) and I think tht the 1st film was rubbish, it was an alrite film, just not a gd RE film, it wrecked the whole RE name. I cant stress enough how much I hated that film, so I dunno if i wanna watch the 2nd 1, if its as bad as u say it is, I'll be rantin and ravin 4 days :mad2: . I know it seems a lil obsessive but it annoys me when things like this happen, like the 1st or 4th Star Wars film:episode 1, that was terrible, I loved the first three but stopped liking star wars when I saw episode 1, Ive not even watched the 2nd. *deep breath* gotta calm down, all this rantin' is not good, okay. WOAH, didnt realize I'd write this much.

krissy
09-11-2004, 08:57 PM
who cares about the video games

first movie was great

Armisael
09-11-2004, 09:06 PM
The games are great but the movies suck.
I have to agree here,i expected the first movie to be great but it wasn't as i was hoping to.-i haven't seen the second,it hasen't come in Greece yet-

SomethingBig
09-11-2004, 09:20 PM
For the RE fans, Alice fights Nemesis. That speaks for itself.

CloudSquallandZidane
09-11-2004, 09:29 PM
It was a pretty good movie, worth seeing in the movie theatres. I liked alota parts and disliked fewer parts.

Rinoabella
09-11-2004, 10:14 PM
I haven't gotten over the first movie yet (too scary for me!), so I aint gonna see the second. The games were awesome.

Shoeberto
09-11-2004, 10:23 PM

first movie was great
Who cares about YOU, bitch.

krissy
09-12-2004, 01:06 AM
right let's settle this with shotguns and a mansion

rolling up my sleeves

Nakor TheBlue Rider
09-12-2004, 05:12 AM
I never played any RE games until after i saw the 1st Movie

Now Ive played and Beat most of them for GC & PS/PS2

I Loved the Movie I thought It had a Great RE feel to it in the parts without Alice & Also that it had a whole new Level of Story and @$$ Kicking in the Parts with Alice.

I loved the 2nd Movie Even more than the 1s & I Have liked almost every RE game... guess its more opinion than anything though. :D

I :love: Resident Evil and I :love: Alice with cool new Super-Human Powers to Kick Zombie Butt :cool:

SeeDRankLou
09-12-2004, 07:11 AM
I wasn't expecting the movie to be a replica of the games, and I'm really glad it wasn't. I liked Resident Evil for PS (the only one I've played), but I already knew what was going to happen, it would be kind of a waste just to see it again on the big screen. Just like the X-Men movies, I'm glad they're different from the comics, I've already read the comics.

Both movies were great, and the second movie was better than the first. Sienna Guillory did a wonderful rendition of Jill Valentine. And I really liked what they did with Milla Jovovich's character. I like how they took the time to explain the T-Virus even further in depth, and it's kind of somber near the end of the movie when you find out who Nemesis is. The motorcycle scene is BRILLIANT! And I liked how this one felt like a Resident Evil game (at least the first one), much more than the first movie did. And they have left it open for a third one, and hopefully they make it. My only complaint is that they overdid the whole someone's in danger and someone else shows up at the right moment and saves them just a little too much.

For anyone who has played the rest of the games, do you have any idea what Project Alice is?

Super Christ
09-12-2004, 08:11 AM
I rather liked the movie. Besides, I like good zombie movies; unfortunately around 99% of them are rubbish. The only good ones I've ever seen are the Night of the Living Dead trilogy, the remakes of Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days later, and then Resident Evil 1 & 2.

And I didn't think Alice with superhuman powers was a big deal. It just begs the question: Who'd win in a fight between Alice and Wesker? :)

BatChao
09-12-2004, 08:46 AM
For anyone who has played the rest of the games, do you have any idea what Project Alice is?

It's not in the games as far as I know...

I'm actually a pretty big fan of zombie movies too. But this movie doesn't really have zombies after the first half... which is kinda where Alice takes over the lead role from Jill. I guess it's all a matter of opinion... I really thought what they did with Nemesis at the end was ultra stupid.

Super Christ
09-12-2004, 09:10 AM
Yeah, I was kind of disappointed he died after only being hit with a couple hundred bullets and a flaming helicopter. But whattyagonnado? And, Nemesis switching loyalties was definitely not good. Not terribly bad, considering the context, but definitely not good.

louby_4eva
09-12-2004, 03:31 PM
Who'd win in a fight between Alice and Wesker? :)

what a silly question it is obvious that the almighty Wesker would win, he rox.

And Nemesis switches loyalties?? does that mean he turns...........good.............cos that just sounds super stupid in my head, and he dies differently, whats all tht about, everyone knows Jill killed him with a big gun thing (in the game) this film sounds stupider <-------is that even a word, and stupider everytime I hear summet else about it.

Super Christ
09-12-2004, 08:26 PM
This post is just a big spoiler, for the movie and for the games.

Yeah, Nemmy switches sides in the end. But it *does* make sense, since he's that guy from the first movie, the other one that survived the Hive along with Alice.

As for Alice vs. Wesker, I'm not sure who'd win; Wesker is definitely faster and stronger, but now Alice apparently has the ability to kill people with her mind. Unless the movie was trying to imply that Alice got the T-Veronica virus, in which case they're probably an even match; with Alice maybe having a bit of an edge since she's gotten some extra work from Umbrella. Wesker's definitely cooler, but unless his bad self appears in Resident Evil 4, I'm not sure he can compete.

CloudSquallandZidane
09-12-2004, 08:39 PM
Did anyone notice this one was farrrr more comdeic than the previous movie? I think that worked to their advantage also.

SeeDRankLou
09-12-2004, 08:56 PM
And Nemesis switches loyalties?? does that mean he turns...........good.............cos that just sounds super stupid in my head, and he dies differently, whats all tht about, everyone knows Jill killed him with a big gun thing (in the game) this film sounds stupider <-------is that even a word, and stupider everytime I hear summet else about it.
Well, with the advent of Alice, it puts a new spin on the whole Nemesis story, and what (and who) Nemesis is, and I thought it was played out rather well. There's a really good reason for what happened. I don't know if Nemesis is given any background or anything in the game, but it is in this movie, and that's what makes the scene so awesome and gives it reason.

Lord Chainsaw
09-13-2004, 02:07 AM
I saw the movie last night. It was alright. I liked it infinitely more than the Resident Evil games, which I hate. The movie had far too many "cheap" scare scenes. What I mean by that is when they try to surprise the audience with a sudden startling action on screen. I HATE when movies do that because it is the cheapest way to get a scare out of someone. It does not leave a lasting impression and is not scary. The movie Signs managed to be quite scary with very, very few of these scenes.

I can't really make the connection between the movies and the games. Strangely enough, Resident Evil is the only game to movie series that I'm not familiar with.

This isn't my fault. I just simply cannot get through the games. I find the control system horrid, and the survival horror genre just does nothing for me.

aeris2001x2
09-13-2004, 04:49 AM
the first film was crap enough though i,ll still give this film a chance.

i,m a HUGE resident evil/Bio Hazard fan as well. the films lack the atmosphere, characters, intricate story and power of the games.

i never expected it to be scary(every RE after the first is about as scary as Pokemon) but i expected quality, and they SOMEHOW screwed it up.

Big Ogre Umaro
09-14-2004, 08:08 AM
atmosphere, characters, intricate story and power of the games.

You've got to be kidding me.

Zell's Fists of Fury
09-14-2004, 08:37 AM
Inticrate story, ha.

It's a zombie movie, people. Plain and simple. Get over it.

aeris2001x2
09-14-2004, 08:54 AM
play Code Veronica. that has an epic storyline.

and even the others r pretty good. i wont get over **** till they make a decent resi film. *christ, ignorent ppl*.

Shoeberto
09-14-2004, 08:50 PM
Actually, I'm a big RE fan and I have to agree with the two of them.

Though I still don't like the movies because they have so little to do with the games. Kinda like the Super Mario movie. I mean sheesh.

Armisael
09-14-2004, 08:58 PM

Yeah Code Veronica is really great.It's one of my favorites Re series..And Resident Evil 2-Leon's scenario especially-is very cool too.

Zell's Fists of Fury
09-14-2004, 09:28 PM

I have. It was really nothing to shout about. Crap compared to Silent Hill, actually. But whatever. I'm going to Taco Bell.

The Gunblader
09-14-2004, 10:02 PM
I thought that it was a good movie (it was a lot better than the first movie), to really enjoy the film you have to be a good follower of the games, this movie does a good job at following the game RE:3 with a little Code Veronica thrown in at the end.

aeris2001x2
09-15-2004, 09:22 AM
I have. It was really nothing to shout about. Crap compared to Silent Hill, actually. But whatever. I'm going to Taco Bell.

??? u mean in terms of scaryness right? ( resident evil after the first has not been scary). Silent Hill story line is a crap garbled mess. and even the genius story of Silent Hill 2 cant touch veronica. thats just my opinion though.

BatChao
09-15-2004, 10:32 AM
I thought that it was a good movie (it was a lot better than the first movie), to really enjoy the film you have to be a good follower of the games, this movie does a good job at following the game RE:3 with a little Code Veronica thrown in at the end.

????? I thought it took the story of RE3 and crapped all over it! I mean... really... it had nothing to do with RE3 other than Jill, Carlos, and Nemesis being in it, right?

aeris2001x2
09-15-2004, 10:47 AM
could it be possibly worse then the original?

Polaris
09-15-2004, 11:52 AM
I love the first Resident evil is my fav film and I can't expect to come the second one... I'm not intereste in the characters I want a film with logical and lost of terror!

aeris2001x2
09-15-2004, 02:22 PM
your not gonna find any terror in a resident evil film...

Polaris
09-15-2004, 02:27 PM
Why? The first Resident Evilwasn't scary it was more disgusting... but I liked it!

aeris2001x2
09-15-2004, 02:30 PM
because even the games(except the original) are not scary. Resident Evil the games are brillant on so many levels...but for scares they should leave it the masters behind Silent Hill and Project Zero.

Zell's Fists of Fury
09-15-2004, 06:05 PM
You're so cute.

Giga Guess
09-17-2004, 04:37 AM
??? u mean in terms of scaryness right? ( resident evil after the first has not been scary). Silent Hill story line is a crap garbled mess. and even the genius story of Silent Hill 2 cant touch veronica. thats just my opinion though.

Okay, I've never played Resident Evil...any of 'em. but to say that they beat Silent Hil...yeesh. The thing about Silent Hill is that is has a PHENOMENALLY deep story line. Silent Hill 1 seems garbled at first, but try to tie all the loose ends up, and things start to make sense. Also, play Silent Hill 3, as it ties up several loose ends, too.

aeris2001x2
09-17-2004, 04:47 AM
well i have owned silent hill 3 about a year now but just have not got round 2 playing it(and silent hill 4 is out :eek: ) so i dont know about the story. all i know is silent hill 1 story can not stand on its own. even if it has deepness (which i can believe, as silent hill 2 is amazing), its no good if its incomprehnsible without silent hill 3, u know what i mean?

potentially silent hill may have a better story. but at the moment the subtle umbrella in-fighting and political intrigue of code veronica reign above silent hill.

i just wish capcom would stop trying to make out resident evil is scary. more ppl would like them then.

Giga Guess
09-17-2004, 04:56 AM
You misunderstand me. All the things you need are there on Silent Hill...Silent Hill just clarifies a few subtle points that may have been missed, and elaborates a bit.

aeris2001x2
09-17-2004, 04:58 AM
so silent hill 1 is imcomphensible genius? damn u, now ur making me want 2 rebuy and complete the game again. :p

Giga Guess
09-17-2004, 05:00 AM
Not incomprehensible....just....a thinker. Did you get the Good ending?

aeris2001x2
09-17-2004, 05:14 AM
i killed cybil so definitly not :D . there r 5 ends right?

BatChao
09-17-2004, 06:07 AM
Silent Hill is a horrible series... granted I only played part 2, but from what I've heard, that is supposed to be one of the best ones and it was HORRIBLE. Story was okay... pretty interesting, but the gameplay was pure, unadultered crap. It was also about as scary as... umm... something not scary at all. Haha.

Hmm... somehow this turned into an RE vs SH thread... Lemme see... yea, about the movie, I guess I can understand why it was made the way it was since Alice came in... but what I don't understand is why Alice had to come in at all...

krissy
09-17-2004, 06:14 AM
because milia johovich is hot

aeris2001x2
09-17-2004, 06:18 AM
i found the blocky jill from the original resident evil more attractive then milia johovich .

BatChao...u dont think silent hill is the scary? then i bow down 2 u, 4 that means u can not feel fear! :eek:

Heartless
09-17-2004, 01:34 PM
because milia johovich is hot
Indeed,but this does not make the movie good...i can't say it sucked but it wasn't that great as the RE fans expected..

SeeDRankLou
09-17-2004, 08:18 PM
yea, about the movie, I guess I can understand why it was made the way it was since Alice came in... but what I don't understand is why Alice had to come in at all...
Alice had to come in for the same reason that Jean Gray is the scientist in the X-Men movie instead of Beast. The Resident Evil movies are not the Resident evil games, just as the X-Men movies are not the X-Men comics. When I went to see the first Resident Evil movie, I didn't watch but one like 10 second trailer, and I didn't get that Milla's character was Alice, I thought she was Jill. When I saw that she wasn't Jill, I was intrigued, and the movie turned out to be exceptionally interesting, because I was thinking they were just going to put the game on the big screen (i.e. House of the Dead). I have played Resident Evil and I know what happens. If they were to just put that on the big screen, I would have been quite disappointed, because the story would have been ruined for me and I wouldn't have been surprised by any turn of events at all. I'm glad they changed stuff, and what they've done with Alice, how she relates to the T-Virus, and everything about her part in the story is awesome, not to mention them actually giving Nemesis some kind of story also. I also liked how they explained the T-Virus. While I only starting to play the rest of the Resident Evil games (now playing RE0), I am a fan of at least the first game, and I love these movies.

i found the blocky jill from the original resident evil more attractive then milia johovich
Milla doesn't play Jill, Sienna Guillory plays Jill, who does a brilliant Jill by the way. Her first scene alone made her a good Jill in my eyes.

Giga Guess
09-17-2004, 08:21 PM
BatChao...u dont think silent hill is the scary? then i bow down 2 u, 4 that means u can not feel fear! :eek:

Agreed. *brrrr...*

Casey
09-17-2004, 11:08 PM

first movie was great

Ditto.

BatChao
09-18-2004, 12:18 AM
Alice had to come in for the same reason that Jean Gray is the scientist in the X-Men movie instead of Beast. The Resident Evil movies are not the Resident evil games, just as the X-Men movies are not the X-Men comics.

What I think is that the X-men movies were good even though they did not follow the comics exactly was that because they followed them enough and more importantly, stayed true to the theme and feeling of the comics. Now imagine that they made an X-men movie that had the X-men in it, but a completely seperate team of mutants that were never in the comics came along and proceed to become the star of the movie. The X-men are still there, but they are pushed aside and reduced to not doing much but walking around and having to be rescued by this new mutant team. Then at the end, the new team defeats to main villain instead of the X-men. Wouldn't you be like... "WTF?!" Also imagine that the movie becomes like a horror movie instead of action/drama. This is how I felt about RE:A... it fails to stay true to the feeling of RE by become little more than a generic action movie. There are little to no scenes with that 'survival horror' feel to it, which is what bugged me the most. But what also bothered me is that Alice completely takes over the main role from Jill and defeats Nemesis by herself while Jill lies helpless and captured. These are the two main things that bothered me the most, which is why the school and church scenes are some of my fave moments in the movie because they have that 'What's lurking around here?' kind of feel to them. It's also why I like the first movie since it was more of a horror movie with action sprinkled in.

Oh yea, and the action scenes were also HORRIBLY directed. Nothing but a bunch of dizzying close up shots randomly edited together. If you're gonna throw that much action into the movie, at least make it look good.

But I do agree that Sienna Guillroy did a damn good job of portraying Jill...

DMKA
09-18-2004, 01:02 AM
I saw it on opening day, and sweet Jebus did it kick ass! I liked it even more than the first one, and I really liked the first one.

I still haven't played Code Verionica though...they won't sell it here. ;__;

aeris2001x2
09-18-2004, 01:04 AM
personally i really think the films are awful. the films present RE as just zombies. there is much more to RE then zombies...much more...

DMKA
09-18-2004, 04:18 AM
personally i really think the films are awful. the films present RE as just zombies. there is much more to RE then zombies...much more...
Then I definitely didn't see the same films you did.

aeris2001x2
09-18-2004, 04:20 AM
have u played any of the other games?

DMKA
09-18-2004, 04:22 AM
have u played any of the other games?
My played RE games list:
Resident Evil
Resident Evil: Directors Cut
Resident Evil: REmake
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
Resident Evil 0
Reisdent Evil: Survivor (ABOMINATION!)

Umm yeah I think thats all of them.

aeris2001x2
09-18-2004, 04:31 AM
wow your a seasoned vet like me (i highly recommend code veronica).

i guess it just comes down to how u feel the films compare to the games. 4 me, film is just not RE...

DMKA
09-18-2004, 04:34 AM
wow your a seasoned vet like me (i highly recommend code veronica).
Indeed...I don't think there are nearly enough of us, cause RE kicks ass. ;)

Yeah...thats cool if you hate em', but I love em'. :D

Oh, and if you could direct me to an online place with CV I'd go for it, cause I can't get it here. :mad:

aeris2001x2
09-18-2004, 04:38 AM
wooah, how come u cant get it? where is your humble abode located?

i,ll have a look but i,m not hopeful of finding such a site. man that just totally sucks :mad2: .

yeah i wish more ppl would apprciate Resident evil's genius :)

Shoeberto
09-18-2004, 07:03 PM
Saw it last night. Kicked ass. Totally had the feel of the games. I thought that the part where Alice rode the bike into the church and used it to blow up that licker was silly, but everything else was executed as if it were in the games.

I'm not saying the story was like the games, but it felt like one. Loved it.

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
09-29-2004, 07:24 AM

thats not wholly true....

there were lickers, dogs, nemisis, and a "hunter" from re1...heck even the military....so its not "all" zombies....actually i forgot about them near the end cause it was all about alice, nemisis and getting the heck out of raccon city!

ive played 1, finished 2, 3 and veronica X

i felt the movie was great....the school and the church was also great i felt the lead wasnt just domminated by alice....so all in all i felt the movie was ultra cool! They didnt have to follow thw WHOLE re storyline.....just enough for people to realise that the story was inspired from the game and not just the title....which i thought it did....

I hope they intro the whole clair trying to find chris story in the third movie!

krissy
10-04-2004, 07:02 AM
alice is one of the best characters i have ever seen in movies