PDA

View Full Version : The Best (and Worst) NON-Disney Animated Film Ever.

Strider
09-12-2004, 04:08 AM
We know about Cinderella and Snow White and The Lion King and blah blah blah, but that's not what this is about at all. This is about all of the other guys not named Disney that have created animated movies over the years.

I'm talkin' about stuff like An American Tail or Anatasia or The Iron Giant, which were put out to the general public by Orion Pictures, 20th Century Fox and Warner Bros., respectively.

Which film do you consider to be your favorite? Remember, we're not talkin' about Disney. This is about everyone else. And while we're at it, why not discuss the worst of that bunch, too? Have at it.

TheAbominatrix
09-12-2004, 11:54 AM
Spirited Away was brilliant, as are most of Miyazaki's films. I wont get into the anime deal just cause it'd open up a huge can of worms on my part. But since Spirited Away, My Neighbor Tortoro (excellent), Princess Mononoke, and Kiki's Delivery Service (all Miyazaki) were released in American theatres, I'll use them.

Aside from those... all I can think of is Yellow Submarine. I should know more, something tells me, but I cant think of any.

Worst? Hmm... The Hobbit and other LotR animated films. Horrid.

louby_4eva
09-12-2004, 03:39 PM
okay, best animated film would probably be......Anatasia or an American Tale or Titan A.E and I cant think of a really bad one, I love animated films.....oh.....except Final Fantasy movie:Spirits within, I thought that was kinda boring........if you'd call it an animated film, its not really a cartoon, but still.

Rase
09-12-2004, 04:28 PM
I liked:
Nightmare Before Christmas (It's clay-mation, does that count)
Titan A.E.
The Iron Giant
Prince of Egypt

Didn't like: Ummm...

Breine
09-12-2004, 05:03 PM
Miyazaki is brilliant and so are all his films, especially "My Neighbour Totoro" has a special place in my heart.

Worst? Hmm... I don't know. I've seen so many animated films so it's hard to just dig in and find one...

Del Murder
09-12-2004, 05:07 PM
My vote goes to The Land Before Time.

Shoeberto
09-12-2004, 05:28 PM
Good:
Nightmare Before Christmas
Titan AE (I didn't like the ending, but I liked the rest)
South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut

Bad:
X/1999 The Movie (I haven't seen the series, but I thought the movie was garbage)
There's one I'm trying to think of that I didn't like. I can't remember it now.

fire_of_avalon
09-12-2004, 05:44 PM

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Trumpet Thief
09-12-2004, 05:52 PM
chaos: I don't really have a worst, but Spirited Away and Endless Waltz were my favs.

SomethingBig
09-12-2004, 06:22 PM
Best
Cowboy Bebop: Knocking on Heaven's Door
FF: Spirits Within
Was the Nightmare Before Christmas a disney movie? Cuz that was incredible
The Land Before Time

Dunno about the worst.

EDIT:
Worst
All of the Land Before Times after the first one

White Raven
09-12-2004, 09:04 PM
Favourites:
Southpark: Bigger, Longer, Uncut
Transformers: The Movie

Kirobaito
09-12-2004, 09:11 PM
Uh...my favorites are The Land Before Time and Spirited Away.

The ones I hate? Transformers, if you'd believe it. I despise that movie. I think it's dumb as hell. =P I also don't like all the other LBT movies.

Casey
09-12-2004, 09:54 PM
I liked:
Nightmare Before Christmas (It's clay-mation, does that count)
Titan A.E.
The Iron Giant
Prince of Egypt

Didn't like: Ummm...

Ditto. All the rest> I dont like. :D

Aurey
09-12-2004, 10:08 PM
My favourites would have to be Nightmare Before Christmas, Metropolis and Iron Giant. I've never watched any of the Land Before Time movies. :O

The worst I've seen? That Digimon movie and X/1999. I had no idea what X/1999 was about or what on earth was going on.

Levian
09-12-2004, 10:17 PM
Nightmare before christmas is Disney, in case you wondered.

South park is my fauvorite, I suppose.

m4tt
09-12-2004, 10:22 PM

Land Before Time was great. Until they made 20 more of them.

Kossage
09-12-2004, 10:52 PM

Yeah, The Land Before Time is one of the best non-Disney movies I've seen. It has a nice story, wonderful characters, beautiful score by James Horner (I adore the amazing Whispering Winds cue) and breathtaking animation. This movie also has a very beautiful song called If We Hold on Together that is played during the end credits. :)

But, there are many other great non-Disney animations like The Secret of NIMH, The Prince of Egypt, Anastasia, An American Tail, Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas, The Road to El Dorado and Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron just to name a few out of many. But my favourite of all of those animations is The Land Before Time. :love:

And the worst film: Well, I haven't seen many truly bad animated movies but I guess the worst animated movie I've seen so far is that first Digimon movie. That just simply sucked. The plot was decent, the characters were okay but the rest of it was crap, IMHO. I hated the animation and music in that movie. And it was quite confusing at some parts even though I'd seen the series. :(

TheAbominatrix
09-12-2004, 11:16 PM
I completly forgot about Land Before Time. I watched that movie over and over and over. It made me cry all the time. And the Secret of NIMH was great, it was pretty intense for a kid's film.

Erased
09-13-2004, 12:49 AM
Spirited Away=Disney. I don't know if anyone liked the movie enough to notice that (Dinsey and Studio Ghibli, anyway.)

My favorite animated film -I think- is disney, unfortunately
Its MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! (And such)

Rinoabella
09-13-2004, 01:02 AM
I liked...

- Land Before Time
- The Nightmare Before Christmas
- The Prince of Egypt

Shoeberto
09-13-2004, 01:44 AM
Spirited Away=Disney. I don't know if anyone liked the movie enough to notice that (Dinsey and Studio Ghibli, anyway.)

I don't think Disney had anything to do with the production of it, they just released it here in the states. Kind of like Tarantino and Hero - he had nothing to do with making it. He just brought it over.

Del Murder
09-13-2004, 02:59 AM
Land Before Time was great. Until they made 20 more of them.
Yeah, but a million sequels doesn't make the original any worse. Like most things I don't care for I just pretend they don't exist.

Agent Proto
09-13-2004, 03:12 AM
The Land Before Time was great, also is the Secret of NIMH. How about All (or Good) Dogs Go To Heaven? That was a pretty good animated film, I think that wasn't made by Disney.

I'm ashamed that none of you mentioned Shrek 1 & 2. :mad2:

TheAbominatrix
09-13-2004, 03:27 AM
Disney didnt make Spirited Away, they liscensed it for America.

StarlightAngel
09-13-2004, 03:58 AM
Good
All Miyazaki movies.

Bad
The Land Before Time:
Anything after the first one.

Zell's Fists of Fury
09-13-2004, 07:12 AM
The Iron Giant
The Land Before Time
All Dogs Go To Heavens

These are my favorite. The last two I loved as a kid. I watched them over and over and over and over. And over.

Imperia
09-13-2004, 04:51 PM
Best: Anastasia, An American Tail, An American Tail: Fievel Goes West, Once Upon A Forest, The Secret of NIMH (yes, I enjoy Don Bluth's movies), and this children's film that nobody remembers: Dot and the Whale

Worst: Cats Don't Dance

Earthworm Jim
09-14-2004, 02:09 AM
Best:
Nightmare Before Christmas

Worst:
Final Fantasy: TSW

Yeah I know I probably sound like a troll because this is an FF forum, but dear God that movie was awful. The graphics were incredible, but I'd rather be hit by a bus than ever watch that whole movie again.

eestlinc
09-15-2004, 01:33 AM
if it counts as an animated movie, then Who Framed Roger Rabbit is by far the best.

Polaris
09-15-2004, 02:32 PM
Best - Shrek

m4tt
09-15-2004, 03:12 PM
Yeah, but a million sequels doesn't make the original any worse. Like most things I don't care for I just pretend they don't exist.

Yeah, that's true. I still like the first one.

Xander
09-15-2004, 06:48 PM
Aww Fieval =)

Spirited Away is my favourite non Disney animated film I've seen recently...and I used to love The Land Before Time.

Del Murder
09-16-2004, 01:55 AM
if it counts as an animated movie, then Who Framed Roger Rabbit is by far the best.
That was on my mind but it's co-disney, foo!

SomethingBig
09-16-2004, 02:16 AM
Bah, I think Shrek's way overrated. I liked Finding Nemo more than Shrek.

eestlinc
09-16-2004, 02:16 AM
Roger Rabbit is Warner Brothers, isn't it? I suppose it's all the same anyway.

edit: I guess it is a Disney movie and spoofs Warner Bros. It's still one of the best animated movies ever, though.

Del Murder
09-16-2004, 02:20 AM
I believe it was a joint venture.

eestlinc
09-16-2004, 02:22 AM
wel, it's certainly not cut from the same cloth as Snow White.

SomethingBig
09-16-2004, 02:25 AM
WB and Disney both worked on it. That's why you see Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny in the end. Silly gooses.

Dingo Jellybean
09-17-2004, 01:50 AM

Yeah, that was such a great series. I mean the first 2 were good, but the next thereafter dipped a bit...but still, I love it.

Agent Proto
09-17-2004, 03:11 AM
Bah, I think Shrek's way overrated. I liked Finding Nemo more than Shrek.

However, Finding Nemo is Disney. :p