PDA

View Full Version : My first dissapointment with Square

Necronopticous
09-12-2004, 08:28 PM
As most of you know, Nathan and his group at http://www.opcoder.com worked tirelessly for months and months of unpaid work, to produce a fan-game promoting the game we all know and love, Chrono Trigger, in 3d. The group was going to release this game as a free download, making the project completly absent of financial or personal gain for the makers. These guys did everything they did, just because they simply loved Chrono Trigger.

Square-Enix recently issued a cease and desist order, forcing them to abandon the project. Why? Because Square-Enix says that this game would penalize sales of Chrono Trigger...

This remake project was no different from a kid drawing a picture of Crono from out of the Chrono Trigger manual. It was a big, impressive, piece of fan artwork. If Square-Enix is going to make this poor decision, they might as well go after everybody drawing Sqaure-Enix characters because they liked them too. They might as well go after all the online comics that used the titles of their games, or used scenes out of their games. They might as well take down this website and forum while they're at it. This was a completely B.S. decision on Square-Enix's part. This project was an honor to them, and they killed it.

The grave of the magnificent project is here: http://www.opcoder.com/projects/chrono

As a gift to the fan support they received, they finished up the trailer and released a few more images. This would have been spectacular. Well, I guess we all learn a good lesson today. If you like something so much you want to show it, don't. If you do, you'll be shut down and penalized for it.

This is the first thing Square has ever done that has really rubbed me the wrong way, it's safe to say, I am furious at them.

Zifnab
09-12-2004, 09:25 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty pissed off at SE for that. It's not like they make major profits from Chrono Trigger any more other than with FF: Anthologies, which last I heard wasn't too easy to find. It's not my first disapointment in SE, I certainly get a more negative vibe from them recently.

Necronopticous
09-13-2004, 05:17 PM
Hmm, I guess not too many people care.

XxSephirothxX
09-13-2004, 09:26 PM
Yeah, that seems pretty stupid of them. It's really just like creating a fan site...I guess it's a possibility that they didn't want the project to be confused with something of their own, or were afraid the guys would try to sell it...but SquareEnix could have made a better choice. Damn the media world.... :(

DJZen
09-15-2004, 01:50 AM
I can understand why they did it. Remember, they're a company, and therefore profit motivated. They don't like losing money. Why go out and buy Chrono Trigger when you can download it? CT is still available for sale new as part of FF Chronicles on the greatest hits series.

I'm not saying I agree, but I understand why they did it.

Necronopticous
09-16-2004, 12:25 AM
It wasn't a remake of the game, it was a resurrection of the game via a 10 scene demo only.

DJZen
09-16-2004, 10:46 PM

You're right, that does suck.

Chris
09-17-2004, 12:56 AM
That's too bad :( the game looks great, though.

Rase
09-18-2004, 03:19 AM
I heard about that and was pretty excited. I've always loved Chrono Trigger since I lpayed it and the Idea of it fully 3D (Like the idea of FF1-6 being fully 3d) made my very hppy. Oh well, maybe we'll get lucky and Square will steal the idea and run with it.

Doomgaze
09-18-2004, 06:30 AM
They had nothing to stand on. The project was clearly infringing on Squeenix's intellectual property, and they HAD to issue a cease-and-desist. See, if you don't, it's basically the same as abandoning the copyright in the eyes of US law.

Triple T
09-18-2004, 01:50 PM
Perhaps Square seen it as plagerizing? You do need permission to take stuff. ^__^

Samuraid
09-20-2004, 10:37 PM
It is sad...it looks like that project would have been great to have finished. :mad:

Tidus Andronicus
09-30-2004, 06:48 AM
Well, ya know, I'm all for CTR... and I can't see anyway at all that it would lose Square any money... only thing I see happening is most people that haven't played the original would play it after seeing how cool it is in 3D...

Well anyway... I did post about this a few weeks ago... about the legal part of all this... and how we as Square fans could at least try to help the project... but I'm assuming someone here doesn't agree with me, and went and deleted my post >_> or at least that what it looks like, since I can't find it anywere... and I put a lot of effort into that post too, it was probably the most professional thing I've ever written/(had help from a friend xD) =P
I wonder if it was because I said the word boycott?:rolleyes2

Seems the Quality of Square's works has gone down hill since the whole Enix merger. >_> Money grubbing bastards...

I love Square's games... but I am and will continue to BOYCOTT Square-Enix (forever if I have too) in hopes that it might make the slightest influence on Square.
I'm not saying I won't continue to play and enjoy the old Square games I have... I'm just saying I won't support Square-Enix with my money anymore because of their bad choice in this matter...

If you have been following CTR and are disapointed with Square, I urge you to boycott SE, or even just send a letter stating your disapointment... heck, why not send several, and get your freinds to do the same! xD

Oh and those of you that don't know much about CTR... go look at that site, see the pics and watch the trailer!! then cry, yelling "WHY SQUARE, WHY?!"

Oh, I love Eoff <_<... its just I feel like BOYCOTTING SQUARE!! ^_~/ XD
For shame Eoff, deleting the post of a fellow Square fan, just cause I don't aprove of Square's decision... >_>

(xD... at the time i couldn't find my post, my first thought was whole server thing you guys had happening was what deleted it... but then I saw that the server switch(or whatever it was) haden't even happend yet... so don't give me that... it was deleted, and on purpose too, before that server thing... =P I just didn't get around to saying anything cause I was busy posting on other forums on the same topic... as well as events in my own life.)

Wuggly Blight
09-30-2004, 04:11 PM
I wont boycott for a small matter like this no matter how good it seemed, But yes, I think square enix has gone downhill very fast from the merger and some on there choices and how they muck the fans about is boycott worthy... so... boycott away.

Rase
10-01-2004, 02:13 AM
I can't see anyway at all that it would lose Square any money... only thing I see happening is most people that haven't played the original would play it after seeing how cool it is in 3D...

Why would someone go out and buy the original when they can get the same thing, with updated graphics, for free? Unless I'm mistaken, this was to be as close to the SNES Chrono Trigger as possible. So there's a way they'd lose cash.

I'm assuming someone here doesn't agree with me, and went and deleted my post >_> or at least that what it looks like, since I can't find it anywere... and I put a lot of effort into that post too, it was probably the most professional thing I've ever written/(had help from a friend xD) =P
I wonder if it was because I said the word boycott?:rolleyes2

Oh, I love Eoff <_<... its just I feel like BOYCOTTING SQUARE!! ^_~/ XD
For shame Eoff, deleting the post of a fellow Square fan, just cause I don't aprove of Square's decision... >_>

(xD... at the time i couldn't find my post, my first thought was whole server thing you guys had happening was what deleted it... but then I saw that the server switch(or whatever it was) haden't even happend yet... so don't give me that... it was deleted, and on purpose too, before that server thing... =P I just didn't get around to saying anything cause I was busy posting on other forums on the same topic... as well as events in my own life.)

Okay, I think we all get it. Your not happy because you can't find your post. Posts get lost al lot of times, for various reasons, rarely because some admin didn't agree with you and wanted to stop it. It could have been, for example, not recieving enough (or any) traffic.

I love Square's games... but I am and will continue to BOYCOTT Square-Enix (forever if I have too) in hopes that it might make the slightest influence on Square.
I'm not saying I won't continue to play and enjoy the old Square games I have... I'm just saying I won't support Square-Enix with my money anymore because of their bad choice in this matter....

Okay, have fun missing out.

Tidus Andronicus
10-01-2004, 05:03 AM
I still don't think Square would lose any money... CTR was only a 10 scene version of it... anyone that would play it, would have either already played it... or is playing cause they heard it was neat... and if they like it, it would only spark interest in playing the original.
Square isn't even really selling/producing anymore copies of it anyway... although there are rumors of them making a port to the GBA... I still don't believe anyone interested in Chrono Trigger is gonna play just a 10 scene demo, and not the original... anyone new to the game is gonna wanna see more than just those 10 scenes, and so they'll play the original.

As for my original post... whatever happend, its ok... I just felt a little pissy the otherday xD... I just felt sarcastic.
"whatever..."

TheAbominatrix
10-01-2004, 05:07 AM
Yes, Square is still producing and selling copies of CT, as FF Chronologies or whatever it is.

The rest of it... eh, I dont care.

Tidus Andronicus
10-01-2004, 07:14 AM
could have swore they stoped FFC a year or 2 ago... its impossible to buy new anymore... have to get it used... and even then its hard to find...>_> at least the ps1 version is... they arn't selling a GBA one yet, are they?

TheAbominatrix
10-01-2004, 07:16 PM
No, they didnt stop. Maybe lowered production a bit, but didnt stop. It's not hard to find really, I've seen it at my local WalMart many times, even lately. I'm pretty sure it's a Greatest Hits, so they keep it.

No, they havent released it for GBA. I dont know if they will.

Rostum
10-02-2004, 12:33 AM
The people making the fan work should have realised Square-Enix had the power to do this, in the first place. They should have consulted them before hand.

Square-Enix isn't in the wrong here, I can assure you, but sure it sucks because it would have been cool to see.

If you stop buying Square-Enix games just because of this, you are a very bleak person. Maybe you should go read up on things called royalties and even legal issues regarding such works.

Necronopticous
10-02-2004, 02:39 AM
If you stop buying Square-Enix games just because of this, you are a very bleak person. Maybe you should go read up on things called royalties and even legal issues regarding such works.
When did I ever say that?

Rase
10-02-2004, 02:41 AM
I think that was aimed at Tidus Andronicus.

Del Murder
10-03-2004, 10:34 PM
Tidus: Your post may have been lost in the server switch because I don't see a record of it being deleted. Sorry for the inconvience.

Dark_Paladin: No need for you to take up the cause. The mods and admins can handle it. Also try and be a little more considerate when speaking towards others.

The remake on that site looked interesting, but it's Square's game and they can do what they want with it. I'm satisfied with the amount of enjoyment I got out of the original and PS version. :D

Rase
10-04-2004, 04:10 AM
Dark_Paladin: No need for you to take up the cause. The mods and admins can handle it. Also try and be a little more considerate when speaking towards others.

Sorry, just the way I am. However, I'll try and keep this bit of my personality out of the forums. It's not like it's the first time an admin in a forums has told me that.

Del Murder
10-04-2004, 04:17 AM
Thanks, we appreciate it. I understand all to well that we are who we are. :)

Trumpet Thief
10-04-2004, 04:20 AM
chaos: Well, if certain people who had never played Chrono trigger before decided to check out the demo that these guys made and liked it... wouldn't they then buy it, making Square's business grow?

Rubedo: In any case, if they worked that hard on it, I think Square should've allowed it. Yet again, as Mr. Delete said, it's their game, and they can do whatever they want with it.

cypherpunks
10-13-2004, 12:38 AM
Of course this was as stupid as it was expected. Most likely the issue never even got elevated high enough in the hierarchy for any other (any good) solution to have been possible. Still, it would have been very possible for them to allow this creative, useful (even for them economically) project to continue.

(Oh and btw, they have no obligation to go after copyright infringements, while they do for trademark. However, they could have easily granted a specialpurpose limited license.)

black orb
10-14-2004, 03:57 AM
>>> This sucks, I was looking forward to play that demo :(
Im dissapointed with Square Enix too, their only goal is to make money, I equate them on the same level of Microsoft..

Turk
10-16-2004, 08:38 PM
man this sucks, i would've loved to have it...looked great

Makoto-Tribal
11-09-2004, 03:43 AM
Well the first time I heard of this project was when I read this thread, but now I'm sat here looking at the screenshots and I have to admit I'm very disapointed this could not be a reality. I cant even begin to imagine how people following its progress must have felt =/

I can see why SE had to do what they did, it was an infrigment of copyright and all that lovely legal stuff that we all love to hate. But then again how many people DL CC for free as a rom everyday anyway? Its kind of a lost cause by now isnt it.

I guess what really pisses me off how SE refuse to do anything with there older games, despite the obvious demand for 3D versions of FF 4-6 or a remake of FF7 (something they planned and then cowardly converted into a movie intstead) yet they get all hot under the coller about something like this. Like I said I can see why they did what they did, but the irony burns.

:..2.2.7..:

KentaRawr!
11-15-2004, 01:33 PM
My brother showed me this whole 3D Chrono Trigger thing a few days ago. He said "at first your going to be really happy, and then very very sad" he showed me some pics of it, I was happy. then he told me it was being cancelled, and then I was very very sad... look at the trailer for more sadness >_<

Loony BoB
11-15-2004, 01:51 PM
Is anyone really surprised that they did this? The foolish thing is assuming they wouldn't. I assumed they would all along - it was only a matter of time.

You also have to keep in mind that if CT wasn't protrayed exactly that SE could suffer from people not 'liking' the 10 scenes and then going on to not buy the game - it could happen. SE allowing the small group to go ahead with this is on par with passing on responsibility for marketing the game.

Once you come down to it, they should have asked SE in the first place. SE were going to do something eventually, may as well have not wasted so much effort BEFORE communications between SE and the group began.

KentaRawr!
11-15-2004, 02:36 PM
Exactly ^_^ but, it is still a shame that it was cancelled.. :(