PDA

View Full Version : Bit Torrent Isnt Working For Me

Casey
09-12-2004, 09:42 PM
:mad: . Its not working, on any torrent files I try to download. It always says:

ERROR (TIME)-
Couldn't listen- (10049, "Can't assign requested address")

any body know whats up with that? I also took internet connection off router, and chgned plugged in cable-> computer. Still doesnt work.

Necronopticous
09-12-2004, 10:14 PM
Do you have a bittorrent client installed? And did you manually open ports 6881 through 6999? If so I don't know what the problem is. Maybe it's a bad client? I prefer Torrentstorm.

Peegee
09-12-2004, 11:45 PM
blocked ports? Do you have any firewalls running and/or are using BT in the university network?

crono_logical
09-13-2004, 09:28 AM
Perhaps you manually told the client an invalid address to use? Bit har to troubleshoot without saying which client this is, since there's so many out there :p

Casey
09-15-2004, 11:16 PM
Do you have a bittorrent client installed? And did you manually open ports 6881 through 6999? If so I don't know what the problem is. Maybe it's a bad client? I prefer Torrentstorm.

Yeah, I use bittorent. It has been working in the past in tell now. So whats with the ports? How do I check if there open, and if so how do I close them?

blocked ports? Do you have any firewalls running and/or are using BT in the university network?

nope, but im not sure about the blocked ports part...

Shoeberto
09-15-2004, 11:52 PM
Is it happening on every file you try, or just one? Sounds dumb, I know, I'm just trying to make myself feel important and helpful.

Necronopticous
09-16-2004, 12:19 AM
Well, if you use a router, your ports are probably stealthed. This can be a big problem sometimes since bittorrent clients usually use ports 6881 through 6999. You can forward them so bittorrent can easily take advantage of them by opening them manually. I'm not quite sure how to explain how to do it.. You should have an IP address, if you go to http://(your ip address here) You should be able to log in using your user name and password, then find where to forward ports and foward the correct ports I told you, if this doesn't work I have no idea. Mine worked before I did this, but doing this greatly increased my download speeds. Also, you may want to try using a different client, to eliminate the possibility that it could just be a bad client.

crono_logical
09-16-2004, 10:19 AM
Whether ports are open or not has nothing to do with this particular error. Sure, opening them will improve download speeds, but they're not necessary for the torrent (or any client program in general) to work or start up and make initial connections. Have you even tried the simplest option of uninstalling and reinstalling the software to wipe it's settings to default, then rebooting? As you said, it used to work, so either it's (or some software firewall) has been misconfigured lately, or you installed something recently that's causing this.