09-13-2004, 12:21 AM
Dude: Nisc
Girl: Karlie

Erased
09-13-2004, 12:21 AM
Steve and Jane.

Just kidding.

Japanese names are cool...

Like Kenji, Yoshiko, and some others I won't bother naming.

A really creative name might be... Ganon. Errr... Well, for heroic people, I find that a lot of characters (Good or bad) start with the letter "G" Maybe I helped. Maybe I didn't. ^^

Dr Unne
09-13-2004, 12:22 AM
Chester. Can't get much more heroic than Chester.

Wicked Lady
09-13-2004, 12:23 AM
male : Maximus Stormblower
female : err... Lila Cannonball

:: shrugs ::

Agent Proto
09-13-2004, 12:40 AM
Male: Erik
Female: Kira

SomethingBig
09-13-2004, 01:14 AM
Like Eraser said, Jappy names are pretty cool.

Man: Lumiss kinda rolls off the tongue.
Woman: Sylina...?

Strider
09-13-2004, 01:19 AM
What kind of story are you writing? That has a lot to do with suggestions.

Lord Chainsaw
09-13-2004, 01:32 AM
When it comes to names, my one weakness is female names.

I am absolutely terrible at it. It seems as if it's infinitely easier to come up with a male name, since most names sound masculine for some reason.

It's pretty hard to come up with a feminine name that doesn't end with a Y or an A. That's probably why I think it is so hard.

Phil
09-13-2004, 02:01 AM
Boys: *and these are from my story* Rayne, Zane, Strom, Shadow, Vaan, Vira (vih-rah)
Girls:Tira (tee-rah), Jezz (or jezzebel), Kriena (kree-in-ah)

Trumpet Thief
09-13-2004, 02:03 AM
chaos: For male names, some stupid ones that I made up. Seiken and Sanatin.

Rubedo: I'm not that good with women's names... but...

Trowa: We don't know any...

chaos:o_O

Albedo: *Laughs maniacally*

Thunday Man
09-13-2004, 02:05 AM
I hate Japanese names.

Zude and Wydan are tight though ;)

StarlightAngel
09-13-2004, 02:58 AM
Girl: Yoko, Silvia, Danica, Skye, Skyla, Hiro, Hiroko, Reiko, Rei
Boy: Yuji, Masao, Akira, Zach, Haku, Kohaku, Kenji

Take your pick. These are the ones that I could think of from the top of my head.

Awrini
09-13-2004, 04:25 AM
Wago.

No you can't use it.

Mo-Nercy
09-13-2004, 04:34 AM
Well, I'm not that creative either. So let's use cool sounding car names.

Male: Lance(r), Eclipse
Female: Acura

Or there's my favourite Warcraft III hero name: PAINKILLER

Zell's Fists of Fury
09-13-2004, 06:24 AM
LANCE UPPERCUT AND CRYSTAL SEXKITTEN FIGHTING TO SAVE THE WORLD FROM APPARENT EVIL

Loony BoB
09-13-2004, 08:55 AM
Man, do I hate Japanese names. It's got to the point that games are very original purely because they have non-Japanese names. That's all they need to do! Have a non-Japanese name. Gameplay? Crap! Graphics? Shoddy! Music? Awful! Charactare names? Non-Japanese! Woohoo! Great game, right there. [/rant]

Go with something like Yakada or Kiushi.

Wait.

Go with something like Halfwing or Degona or Farad or Tombo or Carissa or Sasha or Nia or Mia or Ané or anything of that sort for names, they can be existing names, it doesn't hurt. Otherwise just pick a couple of consonants and a couple of vowels and work them around. Let us know if you still can't find anything but did manage to get a few ideas, even if it's just a starting letter.

Rostum
09-13-2004, 09:31 AM
Male: Rain
Girl: Teal

Polaris
09-13-2004, 09:33 AM
Girl: Adeselna (there is not anyone with this name.... isn't that wonderful?)

Boy: Yuri

Misfit
09-13-2004, 01:17 PM
Aww crap, I coulda used this thread a few days ago! >D

Boy- Iroko, Sherokin
Girl- Niralyn, Halyihn

bwah!

Lindy
09-13-2004, 01:20 PM
Too late, all of these names sucked and I just stole some from a game.

They were names for characters in one of those free-RPG things, where you have to create EVERYTHING about the character, no way would it be a story.

I'm so uninventive.

Actually, I changed my mind, I'm writing a story around Spiff's title, because who wouldn't want to make use of a genius title like that. My god, it's like we're in 50's america again, where the apparent evil will probably be red coloured and McCarthy will appear somewhere too.

Psychotic
09-13-2004, 01:24 PM
Male: Hypermarket Assistant, Spotted Turtle
Female: Dislocated Elbow, Amazing Traffic

I'd use them in anything I did. Not that I do things that require names. But if I did, I would! Better than Japanese names. I agree with BoB's crazy but not crazy rant! :greenie:

SpiritWolf
09-13-2004, 03:02 PM
Hmm these are some interesting names

Male: Kuba
Female: Akira, Yuki

Rusty
09-13-2004, 03:34 PM
Female: Saeran, Taini, Eithne

Male: Eamon and Kai

Armisael
09-13-2004, 04:54 PM
Male:Lee,Shinseki
Female:Rei,Mei-Li

Zell's Fists of Fury
09-13-2004, 05:41 PM
Actually, I changed my mind, I'm writing a story around Spiff's title, because who wouldn't want to make use of a genius title like that. My god, it's like we're in 50's america again, where the apparent evil will probably be red coloured and McCarthy will appear somewhere too.
:<3:
Make sure Crystal has big breasts and wears a tight, multi-colored jumpsuit. And lance wears a headband and muscle shirt and carries about fifty bigass guns on his back.

Breine
09-13-2004, 07:01 PM
Female: Kisha
Male: Florence

Lindy
09-13-2004, 07:13 PM
Female: Kisha
Male: Florence
IRONY, I used to have the name here of RyuKishi.

Also, Spiff, does Lance have to drive a muscle car to match his shirt? Or is that too ahead of his time? Because, of course, Lance is afraid of modern technology as are all true heroes, since technology is the realm of bad guys, and evil scientists. And dentists, can't forget dentists.

"Lance strode manfully into the lair of the evil villain, a man so evil he can't even be given a name. In one hand he held his trusty M16, in his other an M60 grenade launcher, because every hero needs big guns to match their big <b>[scene deleted]</b>. Bad guys came left right and center, Lance mowing them down with his huge manly man guns, their bloody deaths being disguised against their deep, communist red, totally unarmoured uniforms. Lance strode deeper into the villain's lair, his trusty bandanna flowing behind him in nonexistant wind, his muscle shirt perfectly pristine as heroes never sweat.

Finally, he reached the evil villain's lair, and his ultimate prize, the love of his life and long time college sweetheart...Crystal Sexkitten! Before meeting Lance, Crystal was an innocent girl, all long skirts and glasses, but now every man (and villain) was after her for their own. She lay, tied to a chair, her tight jumpsuit unzipped slightly revealing the perfect curves of her <b>[scene deleted]</b>. "Alright evil villain! It's just you and me now! A final duel, over your conveniently placed boiling acid filled lava pit at the centre of a volcano!" shouted Lance as he strode manfully into the lair of his nemesis (well, one of many, but Lance had a somewhat one track mind). "Haha, you can never stop me Lance, my incredibly slow moving, weak laser will cut your lover in two before you can even reach me! Look, even now, it is already at least six foot away from her...feet! Hahahaha!" the evil villain retorted.

Lance was shocked, he had to make the terrible choice between saving the love of his life and defeating his evil nemesis, so Lance did what only a hero could do. With a great cry, he hefted both his gun and shot the <b>[scene deleted]</b> out of the evil villain! And the villain cried, with his dying words "But you're a hero! You can't do something like that!", "Hah" shouted Lance "I'm an American hero! We'll do anything we want to defeat <b>[scene deleted]</b> Reds like you! Give my regards to Lenin!"

And with that, Lance untied Crystal and carried her out of the volcano while it began to explode.
As they were driving away in Lance's manly muscle car, the volcano exploding behind the happy couple, Crystal turned to Lance and asked "Oh Lance, I love you so much, now will you teach me to <b>[scene deleted]</b>?" "Oh yeah baby, just make sure you limber up first! Haha!" Lance laughed. And as the volcano sank into the ground behind them, Lance and Crystal kissed, with no regard for road safety or any other pedestrians. But then, Lance is a hero, and true heroes don't give a <b>[scene deleted]</b> about the little guys

NEXT EPISODE : Lance Uppercut Fights The Evil Villains of The Red Planet, MARS! Why? Because they're clearly all vicious commies!"

...Ok, I'm done now ¬_____¬

Denmark
09-13-2004, 09:08 PM
Male: Zeke is the best name ever.
Female: I never have to name any female characters in any games, because all the ones I play are gender-biased, or they already have names.

nik0tine
09-13-2004, 09:38 PM
Male: Jack
Female: Jill

Shattered Chest
09-13-2004, 09:54 PM
Brianna & Jemmy. =D

Lost Heretic
09-13-2004, 11:17 PM
I'm too lazy to pick two, so here are a few character names I've used over the years:

Lance Dirceth
Hikaru Deshi
Szand
Chalms
Viln Devars
Pelantilain
Ceril Regrof
Jaliuse
Hassek Vallion
Laca Ceroth

Giga Guess
09-14-2004, 12:00 AM
Some character names I've concocted:

Trey McGuinness
Erin Hart
Dax Yauntz
Kathy Menard
Barry Heim
Britney Chere
Cara Noir
Tyr Dracul
(The last two are somewhat made up on the spot...)

And, of course...

CID!

LockeTheDeft
09-14-2004, 01:20 AM
When it comes to names, my one weakness is female names.

I am absolutely terrible at it. It seems as if it's infinitely easier to come up with a male name, since most names sound masculine for some reason.

True dat.

-N-
09-14-2004, 06:56 AM
Conrad Epetts. The last name is a play on Epictetus, the first proponent of stoicism. Heroic in a different sense. Conrad is the first name of a character who was identified with Epictetus in Tom Wolfe's A Man in Full.

Sometimes, the best way to come up with a character name is to come up with concepts the character should represent, and then think of names that connect or correlate to those concepts. Last names are much freer in this context than first names (e.g. Epetts isn't exactly your average last name).

Some other names that have been derived in such a fashion:

Winston Smith (Orwell, 1984)
- Winston embodies the ideals Orwell believed Winston Churchill held. Smith symbolizes Orwell's portrayal of his main character as your average run of the mill everyman who suddenly becomes a protagonist.

Billy Pilgrim (Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse Five)
- Billy functions the same way as Smith does - it represents an everyman, a commoner. Pilgrim implies the main character is on a progressive journey to seek or understand something.

Seymour Glass (Salinger, various short stories about the Glass family)
- Seymour is a homonym of "see more", implying his status in the stories as a wiseman. Glass fortifies the wiseman imagery (a looking glass), and emphasizes his fragility (and the rest of the family as well).

Strider
09-14-2004, 07:08 AM
Female names, huh?

Catriona Beck
Ailenne Sykora
Jolanta Kessinger
Mia Vincent

:D?

-N-
09-14-2004, 07:18 AM
Angela Rose
Elizabeth Stone
Elly Jones

They stood for certain things in my writings - you should be able to infer them, as they are relatively straightforward.

Zell's Fists of Fury
09-14-2004, 07:21 AM
Also, Spiff, does Lance have to drive a muscle car to match his shirt?
A red rocket-powered 1987 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Turbo with a black firebird painted on the hood. With monster truck tires. And spikes. And gun turrents on the sides. And a licence plate that says 'BADASS'. And little dice in the rear view mirror. And AC/DC in the 8-Track, constantly.