PDA

View Full Version : Unrealistic Video Games

Phil
09-13-2004, 02:40 AM
Ever played a video game that was just so unrealistic and had so many flaws it was just dumb? I recently bought Star ocean til the end of time and noticed a major flaw in the game. Theres a thing called a UP3 (underdeveloped planet protection policy thing), where new technology cannot be brought to underdeveloped planets with no knowledge of the outside space. Yet, in the game all the planets use the same currency- whats up with that? If they have planets that dont even know about space, how can the use the same currency?!?! I'd really like to know. Anybody else come across game flaws like taht?

Trumpet Thief
09-13-2004, 02:44 AM
chaos: Well, I thought Grandia II was pretty unrealistic...

Rubedo: You might want to PM a mod asking to delete the other two threads...

Phil
09-13-2004, 02:45 AM
Did it :laughing:

Lon611
09-13-2004, 03:15 AM
people are gonna hate me for this,but i think ffv was kinda unrealistic. i kno its Final Fantasy, but i think it went overboard on the fantasy. i may be unaware as to what the game is past the first 6 hours, so plz don't flame

StarlightAngel
09-13-2004, 04:07 AM
It isn't as though I hate Chrono Trigger, I just found it interesting that weapons are stronger in the past than in the present or future. All in all, I love that game.

Halenite
09-13-2004, 05:50 PM
I recently bought Star ocean til the end of time and noticed a major flaw in the game. Theres a thing called a UP3 (underdeveloped planet protection policy thing), where new technology cannot be brought to underdeveloped planets with no knowledge of the outside space. Yet, in the game all the planets use the same currency- whats up with that? If they have planets that dont even know about space, how can the use the same currency?!?! I'd really like to know. Anybody else come across game flaws like taht?

It's the same in Star Ocean: The 2nd Story. I didn't notice it until now though.

master01
09-13-2004, 06:32 PM
i agree Final Fantasy V was unrealistic. i also think X was too. final fantasy X had many flaws, when i come to think of it...

Starlight angel, i noticed that too, but, who knows, maybe in the past they had technology that we dont know they had...
and CT is a great game, one of the best there is.

gokufusionss1
09-13-2004, 06:49 PM
yes lets has more realistic games, i can't wait for Shoping 2 :revenge of the trolleys to come out.

Erdrick Holmes
09-13-2004, 07:04 PM
I think that the Metal Gear games combine stuff that's realistic and unrealistic. You can stand about 7 feet away from a sentry and he won't even notice you're their until you get within five feet of his field of vision.

Cz
09-13-2004, 08:00 PM
Burnout 3 is unrealistic, but if it wasn't then it wouldn't have the same arcade feel. It wouldn't be so awesome, either. :p

Lon611
09-14-2004, 01:04 AM
i agree Final Fantasy V was unrealistic. i also think X was too. final fantasy X had many flaws, when i come to think of it...

i thought ffx was a gr8.definetly one of the better ones, imho. it seems like there's half the ff fanbase that hates a certain ff while the other half completely disagree's. so i've learned 2 rely only on my opinion. on the other hand....

thats not the point. i love sonic, but the newer games.....geesh.

Phil
09-14-2004, 01:07 AM
Sonic = power of friendship
The old ones are great, the new one (heroes) doesnt deserve the title "sega" :mad:

Lon611
09-14-2004, 01:11 AM
agreed. :p

Big D
09-14-2004, 01:17 AM
Metal Gear Solid, again. Here's a breif scenario to explain why I feel it's unrealistic.

Snake: *Holds onto a hand grenade and removes the pin*

Grenade: *Explodes while Snake's holding it*

Snake: "Ugh!"

Snake: *Eats some military field rations*

Snake: *No longer has any wounds caused by a fragmentation grenade going off in his hand, two feet from his face*

Lon611
09-14-2004, 01:20 AM
Metal Gear Solid, again. Here's a breif scenario to explain why I feel it's unrealistic.

Snake: *No longer has any wounds caused by a fragmentation grenade going off in his hand, two feet from his face*

LMAO. yah, good point. im not into many video games outside of RPG's and sports games, but if you were making whatever type of game MSG is, wouldn't it be pretty stupid if it was like really life?take gta3. do you think you can get shot that many times before dying?i think not :tongue:

Shoeberto
09-14-2004, 02:07 AM
Video.
Games.

Agent Proto
09-14-2004, 02:52 AM
Every video games are unrealistic to a point. Even sports games, where often players will magically have part of their bodies pass through another player's body.

Lon611
09-14-2004, 03:42 AM
but id consider that a "glitch" rather than "unrealistic" :D

Erdrick Holmes
09-14-2004, 04:01 AM
Oh yeah, Crazy Taxi. No matter how much you make your car run into stuff it never gets a single scratch or scuff.

Lon611
09-14-2004, 04:06 AM
then itd be called gta

Zell's Fists of Fury
09-14-2004, 07:13 AM

That's pretty much any game, though. GTA, you can get shot a dozen times, and all you need to do is find a cross and you're all better. Etc etc.

Hsu is right. It's a video game. Shut up.

-N-
09-14-2004, 07:22 AM
Why the hell would you want a realistic video game? Seems contradictory to it's very nature.

Shlup
09-14-2004, 12:03 PM
Ever played a video game that was just so unrealistic and had so many flaws it was just dumb? I recently bought Star ocean til the end of time and noticed a major flaw in the game. Theres a thing called a UP3 (underdeveloped planet protection policy thing), where new technology cannot be brought to underdeveloped planets with no knowledge of the outside space. Yet, in the game all the planets use the same currency- whats up with that? If they have planets that dont even know about space, how can the use the same currency?!?! I'd really like to know. Anybody else come across game flaws like taht?
XD

Something about that complaint just makes me laff.

Jack
09-14-2004, 02:29 PM
A realistic video game would be boring.
However, what I think he means is when it contradicts itself, like Star Ocean does. The Metal gear thing is pointless, cause otherwise you'd never complet the game if you got hurt by a grenade, cause he'll have limbs missing. They have to eb unrealistic to a point cause otherwise they wouldn't be a escape from real life. Would you want to play out what you did today when you got home from work? games have to be fun, real life isn't to a point so drop the unrealitsic bits and just MOAN about the stupid bits such as deux ex machina endings, or stupid bits.

Big D
09-14-2004, 10:33 PM
The Metal gear thing is pointless, cause otherwise you'd never complet the game if you got hurt by a grenade, cause he'll have limbs missing. In Syphon Filter, any explosive weapon is instantly fatal. The main character can survive no more than two or three bullets, if that, if he is hit while unprotected. Because of the nature of the gameplay, a more realistic approach to damage is possible.Would you want to play out what you did today when you got home from work? games have to be fun, real life isn't to a point so drop the unrealitsic bits and just MOAN about the stupid bits such as deux ex machina endings, or stupid bits.I think the point of this thread, as ShlupQuack has done, is to be amused by the little 'unrealisms' in games.

m4tt
09-14-2004, 10:50 PM
That's pretty much any game, though. GTA, you can get shot a dozen times, and all you need to do is find a cross and you're all better. Etc etc.

Or a Hooker. ;)

Erdrick Holmes
09-14-2004, 11:30 PM
If you get shot a bunch of times go find a hooker, your broken bones and wounds will be mended.... or you'll get herpies.

XxSephirothxX
09-15-2004, 12:12 AM
I like the fact that video games are unrealistic. It's fun and an escape from society. Little things DO bug me, like money in RPGs, as has been pointed out. For instance, in Tales of Symphonia, two totally different worlds use the same money. Things like that bug me, not because it's unrealistic, but just because it's kind of stupid and detracts from the game's credibility.

SomethingBig
09-15-2004, 12:19 AM
In Spider-Man 2, you can hear cries for balloons from 5 blocks away. Also, Spidey can swing 5 grown men and fall from a 4 story building unscathed, but he'll be damned if he cracks the windshield of a car!

master01
09-15-2004, 08:11 AM
SomethingBig...
that's kinda what he does in the comics...

Meat Puppet
09-15-2004, 08:15 AM
Video games are supposed to be unrealistic, that's how you get your escape from reality. If you want something realistic, go outside.

m4tt
09-15-2004, 03:13 PM
In Spider-Man 2, you can hear cries for balloons from 5 blocks away. Also, Spidey can swing 5 grown men and fall from a 4 story building unscathed, but he'll be damned if he cracks the windshield of a car!

Not to mention you can throw bad guys off of buildings and not get charged for murder. :D?

Erdrick Holmes
09-15-2004, 03:16 PM
I noticed something about the Spiderman video games. When he swings from place to place he just shhots his web into the sky and swings from it. Does he have freaking helicopters following him around or something?

m4tt
09-15-2004, 03:54 PM
I noticed something about the Spiderman video games. When he swings from place to place he just shhots his web into the sky and swings from it. Does he have freaking helicopters following him around or something?

That's the older games. In the new one you swing from buildings and poles. You can also swing from Helicopters or the occasional UFO.

Erdrick Holmes
09-15-2004, 04:18 PM
That's the older games. In the new one you swing from buildings and poles. You can also swing from Helicopters or the occasional UFO.

No, the shooting of the web into the sky was in the first Spiderman game, the one based off of the first movie to be exact.

m4tt
09-15-2004, 06:23 PM
No, the shooting of the web into the sky was in the first Spiderman game, the one based off of the first movie to be exact.

Like I said.. the older games.

Giga Guess
09-15-2004, 06:39 PM
Meh...I usually overlook the inconsistensies. It's no fun if you just nit-pick a game to death. Y'know?

SomethingBig
09-15-2004, 10:08 PM
But Spider-Man took the cake. Seriously. There were gang members just randomly hanging out on the roofs of buildings. Spidey can also do trillions of amazing things, yet he can't seem to swim at all.

Cz
09-15-2004, 10:13 PM
But aside from that, it's pefectly fine. He climbs walls, shoots web out of his hands, senses danger before it happens...realistic, everyday stuff.

We shouldn't get too hung up on these things. Sure, an unrealistic moment can take away from the atmosphere of certain games, but fantasy is what makes gaming fun. If you want realism, go and do the real thing. Unless you play GTA. :D

SomethingBig
09-15-2004, 10:28 PM
Oh, yeah, Spider-Man 2 is one of the most fun games I've ever played in a long time. It's just that the quality really takes some of the fun away and makes you want to cry. Or just makes you cry.

m4tt
09-15-2004, 10:30 PM
I agree that Spider-man 2 is fun, but it does get kinda repetitive when those stupid kids keep losing their baloons. You'd think they would start tieing it to their wrists.

TasteyPies
09-15-2004, 11:04 PM
If you want realism, go and do the real thing. Unless you play GTA. :D

Because when you blow up a building and get 50 tanks chasing you, grab as many floating stars as you can and they will leave you alone.

Giga Guess
09-15-2004, 11:11 PM
Let's face it. As long as we have games, they won't be totally realistic. I've never had a game's atmosphere "ruined" because of a facoid that was "overlooked" or they simply didn't care. I snicker at 'em sometimes, but...meh.

PhoenixAsh
09-15-2004, 11:19 PM
The gang members aren't hanging around on the roofs, they're breaking in.

The unrealistic parts like enemies being able to block him so much is more annoying, or the fact that he can land and noone will really pay any attention (to the point that someone will have a full conversation on a phone while you stand next to him, though that was a nice touch).

That said Spidey 2 is one of my favourate games ever.

The old swinging from the sky did take unrealism a little far perhaps.

Erdrick Holmes
09-16-2004, 02:57 AM
The only game that didn't have the swinging web from the sky was Spider man 2 on PS2.

m4tt
09-16-2004, 09:31 PM
The only game that didn't have the swinging web from the sky was Spider man 2 on PS2.

Yes, thank you for pointing that out for the 3rd time.

stesia
09-17-2004, 05:13 PM
tomb raider her head got stuck in the floor :eek:

resident evil code veronica why cant 99% of zombies climb the stairs

Cz
09-17-2004, 07:00 PM
Because when you blow up a building and get 50 tanks chasing you, grab as many floating stars as you can and they will leave you alone.
Sorry Pies, the point left an hour ago. Looks like you missed it.