PDA

View Full Version : genre of music?(multiple choice poll)

aeris2001x2
09-13-2004, 05:36 PM
what is your fav genre of music and why?

mine will always be Classical. some does plod along, boring the hell out of me, particulary modern stuff. but its best works are just majestic and i wish there were classical music night clubs 4 working class scum like me

:D . some favs...

Fortuna imperatix mundi
Air on a G-string
Adiago for strings
Beethoven's 9th
Beethovens moonlight sonata
Beethovens 4th piano concerto
Hallujuh(sp)
Ave Maria
Eligar 3rd symphony

Metal.

i like alot of these genres. some nu-metal, punk, heavy, death, black etc. i,m of the impression 90% of rock.metal is crap. its quite a weak genre.

but at its best it is incrediable. and it all sounds good played loud at a nightclub. defenity the genre of choice 4 a night out.

some favs...(only a few)

Evanescence, lots of there stuff

Guns and roses

Sweet child of mine
November rain

Metallica-lots of stuff except new stuff.

Mortiis- a goth metal techno hybrid. smell the witch top draw.

Arch enemy- Death metal at its best ( its a VERY weak genre normally)

Cradle of filth- very good black metal

linkin park- a rare ting...quality nu-metal (also a VERY weak genre).

nightwish... new albulm is classical/metal fusion. and oh, dont forget wishmaster.

bleh, thats enough 4 now.

Ultima Shadow
09-13-2004, 05:42 PM
General rock, Hevy metal and Uematsu. :D

Armisael
09-13-2004, 05:43 PM
My favorite kind of music is nu-metal and nu punk rock,i love this music.It express me the most,i cannot stop hearing to it.

aeris2001x2
09-13-2004, 05:54 PM
yeah i always wondered what your fav genres were.

check out some more classical though :D

Armisael
09-13-2004, 07:04 PM
yeah i always wondered what your fav genres were.

check out some more classical though :D
This is reffering to who?

Skogs
09-13-2004, 07:57 PM
Nobuo Uematsu is not a music genre. He writes video game music for frick's sake - some people make him out to be up there with the Beethovens and Bachs! At best you could call his music pop-classical. If you want decent 'music generally associated with the video entertainment industry', go for John Williams or Ennio Morricone.

Jeez.

Anyhoo... I like rock, but I'm pretty picky these days. Nu-metal bands are pretty boring. Some metal is ok, as along as I can distinguish it from the sound of a pig being slaughtered. Emo is ok as long as its not wussy emo. Keane and Snow Patrol can :eep::eep::eep::eep: off. Guns and Roses is good for a chuckle, but Velvet Revolver seem to be a much more credible outfit. Anything bluesy is good.

escobert
09-13-2004, 08:15 PM
Rap well NaS...

Aurey
09-13-2004, 11:33 PM
I chose Indie, Emo, punk (sort of..) and Other. Other, for me, would be Alternative.

Nowadays I'm listening to Interpol, Broken Social Scene, The Sugarcubes, Death cab for Cutie and just a little bit of Björk.

Nobuo Uematsu is not a music genre. He writes video game music for frick's sake - some people make him out to be up there with the Beethovens and Bachs!

I agree with you there. I truly don't believe he is some kind of god of music, I just see him as a video game music composer. The best video game music composer, in my opinon, would have to Akira Yamaoka.

Turk
09-13-2004, 11:56 PM
I said rap, classical, and of course if Turkish or Mediterranean music was on there I'd select it also

Del Murder
09-14-2004, 01:48 AM
Is classic rock general rock? I haven't even heard of all those metal categories. I just classify it all as 'loud'. :)

I also chose Classical, Rap, and of course, Uematsu.

TheAbominatrix
09-14-2004, 01:57 AM
Punk rock is my favorite. Real punk rock, not the crap on the radio. We're talkin Dead Kennedys, Narcoleptic Youth, The Skulls, Subhumans, Naked Aggression kinda stuff.

And of course, Japanese music (most of it), classic rock, classical, and so on.

Erdrick Holmes
09-14-2004, 02:06 AM
Progressive rock and general rock is practically all I listen to.

Earthworm Jim
09-14-2004, 02:06 AM
You forgot New Wave, dude

Trumpet Thief
09-14-2004, 02:07 AM
chaos: J-Pop all the way!

Rubedo: Go Two-Mix!

Trowa: *Runs off to hear Just Communication*

aeris2001x2
09-14-2004, 02:33 AM
Nobuo Uematsu is not a music genre. He writes video game music for frick's sake - some people make him out to be up there with the Beethovens and Bachs! At best you could call his music pop-classical. If you want decent 'music generally associated with the video entertainment industry', go for John Williams or Ennio Morricone.

Jeez.

Anyhoo... I like rock, but I'm pretty picky these days. Nu-metal bands are pretty boring. Some metal is ok, as along as I can distinguish it from the sound of a pig being slaughtered. Emo is ok as long as its not wussy emo. Keane and Snow Patrol can :eep::eep::eep::eep: off. Guns and Roses is good for a chuckle, but Velvet Revolver seem to be a much more credible outfit. Anything bluesy is good.

i have to disagree. Uematsu is easily up there with the great classical artists imho. he does not plod along for years either. and he is better then most modern classical.

thats just my opinion though.

CloudSquallandZidane
09-14-2004, 03:31 AM
Love that Nu-Metal!!! Plus Rap Hip-Hop and Nobuo... cant play FF unless u like the music.

Lon611
09-14-2004, 03:56 AM
i like rap and hip hop, classical, emo, nobuo uematsu, altho in reality i can listen to nething but country and heavy metal (sorry, don't flame). i used to be heavily into emo, but then bands started coming out and everything started sounding unoriginal and boring, especially since a large majority of rock is played with the same instruments. i still listen to emo tho :D

what takes up most of my listening now and for a long time is rap and hip hop. its just easier for me to relate to. il admit, there are some rappers who all they rap about is stuff that never happened, or stuff no1 cares abuot, lil flip, and all those who only rap about making money. i've spent my time listening to most of all 2pac/makaveli (r.i.p. '96, for those of you who remember my old avatar :p ), 50 cent, and jay-Z. those people at least talk about whats bothering them in society, and their emotional scars etc. and for tupac, he actually raps about love more than ne rapper i kno does/has.

classical?hmmm....does terra's piano theme count as classical or nobuo? :rolleyes2 well, either way i love both :tongue:

jrgen
09-14-2004, 10:21 AM
Industrial Metal, Folk Metal plus some Industrial and EBM.
My favourite band would be classified as Other though.

Project G
09-14-2004, 10:24 AM
Handels creation
Dance music rules

Zifnab
09-14-2004, 10:39 AM
Symphonic Metal, just about anything by Rhapsody or Luca's albums is godly. I'm also a sucker for anything with an epic feel to it.

White Raven
09-14-2004, 01:13 PM
Classic Rock is the main one but I listen to everything on a daily basis.

*adds "All of the above option" and votes for that*

Lindy
09-14-2004, 02:12 PM
Emo is ok as long as its not wussy emo. Keane and Snow Patrol can :eep::eep::eep::eep: off.

=O

For a start, both bands are INDIE, not emo. And yes, I agree with Keane, the wimpy twats. But never Snow Patrol, Snow Patrol haven't been wussy, like, ever. And I've heard all their songs.

You want wussy emo? Go listen to Dashboard Confessionals and then you'll learn what wussy emo is! *haet*

From that you can tell, I like Indie, mostly UK music at the moment actually. The only non-UK band I've been listening to recently is The Killers.

Oh, and !!! (chk chk chk), they're not a UK band, and certainly belong in a genre of their own. Maybe A-Political Electro Dance Funk Punk Riff Rock.

Rusty
09-14-2004, 03:52 PM
Rap, hip hop, r'n'b :)

J-pop and Nobuo uematsu aswell.

Skogs
09-14-2004, 06:07 PM
i have to disagree. Uematsu is easily up there with the great classical artists imho. he does not plod along for years either. and he is better then most modern classical.

xD

My point exactly...

Lindy
09-14-2004, 06:31 PM
Y'know, Yasunori Mitsuda is far better than Uematsu anyway.

And his name is cooler too.

...I still don't get why any of you would REALLY want to listen to game music outside a game anyway, I really don't get it at all.

jrgen
09-14-2004, 08:30 PM
Some game music is really good.
But good game music usually can't be compared to good non-game music.

Chzn8r
09-14-2004, 09:51 PM
Metal.

i like alot of these genres. some nu-metal, punk, heavy, death, black etc. i,m of the impression 90% of rock.metal is crap. its quite a weak genre.

but at its best it is incrediable. and it all sounds good played loud at a nightclub. defenity the genre of choice 4 a night out.

some favs...(only a few)

Evanescence, lots of there stuff

Guns and roses

Sweet child of mine
November rain

Metallica-lots of stuff except new stuff.

Mortiis- a goth metal techno hybrid. smell the witch top draw.

Arch enemy- Death metal at its best ( its a VERY weak genre normally)

Cradle of filth- very good black metal

linkin park- a rare ting...quality nu-metal (also a VERY weak genre).

nightwish... new albulm is classical/metal fusion. and oh, dont forget wishmaster.

I want to chastise you for ignorance to the whole of the metal music world (95% outside the mainstream), but that fact that you mentioned Arch Enemy and Nightwish gives you some credit. :D
I'll just say that overall EVERY genre has lots of weak music, whether because those bands lack songwriting talent, good melody, actual playing skill, or whatever, but those can't outweigh the best representatives of a genre... Metal is something where there is SO much good (especially outside of the nu-ROCK type radio stations) that you shouldn't take what someone calls metal (IE linkin park, evanescence, or nu-Metallica) as an example of the whole... I wouldn't say anywhere near "90%" of the genre is crap... and the fact that you have a weak definition of what Metal is doesn't help... but oh well.
I will school thee in the mighty ways of metal no more :p (By the way I'm sorry if this comes off as pretensious, I'm just defensive about a genre that I enjoy which is so misinterpreted and confused to the majority of today's music listeners).

Some metal bands I listen to, to whatever degree:
After Forever, Amorphis, Avantasia, Ayreon, Blind Guardian, Devin Townsend, Dream Theater, Edguy, Fates Wwarning, In Flames, Iron Maiden, Kamelot, Liquid Tension Experiment, Luca Turilli, Megadeth, Metallica, Nightwish, OSI, Opeth, Pain of Salvation,Queensryche, Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius, Symphony X.

SomethingBig
09-14-2004, 09:58 PM
Classical, general rock, jazz, techno, J-Pop, Nobuo Uematsu, Anime(which sort of fits into J-Pop), and orchestrated music. I listen to mainly J-Pop. When I don't feel like listening to J-Pop, I find myself listening to *hort*Bic Runga*hart*.

EDIT: Oh, I also like heavy metal. Old metal, that is. None of the new crap-metal bands that have the gall to say that they play metal music. As you can see, I listen to a wide range of musical genres.

XxSephirothxX
09-15-2004, 12:54 AM
I love oldies and some classical (mostly Nobuo Uematsu and John Williams) but my favorite genre would be jazz. This includes Yoko Kanno's music, which is mostly Jazz and the Blues. I don't like much new music...most of it's crap. But a few bands here and there are okay...

Dingo Jellybean
09-15-2004, 01:18 AM

I agree with what Skogs said earlier.

NU is a good musician, just not a great one. And no way does he compare with Beethoven and Bach...there's just no way.

It's not because he writes music for videogames(VG music is often simple anyways), but it's because he's just not that talented. Most of the music he writes often have repetitions up the ying-yang, and these are repetitions that do not really make the mind think. He writes music to fit the game, and that alone will always tarnish his credibility.

Trust me, if you talk with any real classical composers, none of them will ever play NU's music and rank it up there with Beethoven and Bach.

I mean I respect your opinion, but saying NU ranks up there as the greatest of all time is really ridiculous. I'm not even that much of a classical music guru, but I know enough to know that NU pales in comparison to Schuman, Tchaikovsky, etc. People who mainly listen to NU's music list him as one of the greats...he's one of the videogames' greats, not one of the music's greats. HUGE difference there. You should seriously consider listening to classical works, REAL classical works. Not to insult you, but that's real classical music. Rachmoninov(sp?) would chew NU to bits...seriously, listen to classical full time and read a few texts on it...you'll later realize what many FF fans don't: NU's music doesn't come anywhere near those of earlier classical composers.

Not dissing NU or anything, but there's a reason why the National Philharmonic Orchestra refused to play NU's music. It was simple, repetitous, and lacking in overall quality. His FFIV Piano OST was a complete joke, in comparison with some of Beethoven's work, not to mention most, if not all, of the tracks on the OSTs(remixed and all) are downright plain.

With that being said, NU isn't anywhere near as bad as Chingy.

Chingy is the most god-awful musician on the face of the earth. "Errrbody" is the stupidiest crap rap can give. It's the lowest forms of rap...it's not even rap, more like pop music. Seriously, anybody who likes Chingy should consider going to the Psychiatric Association.

eestlinc
09-15-2004, 01:39 AM
I voted classical. I didn't vote for anything else because I didn't see "electronica" or "IDM" or whatever you want to call it. It's not techno, either. I also didn't see "alternative rock". Or "bluegrass", "noiserock", or for that matter "renaissance".

I'm not sure what aeris means by "modern music plods along". I don't think Stravinsky plods along, or John Adams.

aeris2001x2
09-15-2004, 09:03 AM
"modern music plods along".

Most modern classical does plod along. there are some exceptions though, some like Stravinsky or Philip Glass.

and there is no room 4 all the genres of music, not to mention i dont know them all. so the "other-please specify" easily covers this.

about my *weak definition of metal thing*, being broke i have no real way of hearing completly unpopular music. i usually get into unknown bands via word of mouth...I.E- Arch Enemy, Nightwish etc.

but i have still heard ALOT of metal, and like what i like, so if i think Metallica etc are its piniacle then thats my opinion and right. i like whats good...populararity does not enter the equation.

about Nobou Uematsu, i geniunly believe he is right up there. i oftern listern to him outside video games because i think he is amazing.

I DO listern to REAL Classical music, i take exception to that. i,m not saying he can match Beethoven or Bachs BEST WORKS (my fav piece of classical ever is the glorious 9th symphony) but NU at his best certainly bests the majority of modern music in ANY genre.

again i like quality music and have no need 2 follow ANY crowd.

Polaris
09-15-2004, 10:37 AM
Classic (There si one song tahat I'd like to dance but I never had ballet it won't be agreat idea to dance it), rap (I like more to rap than to listen rap), rock, dance (Kate Ryan, Despina Vandi)

Rostum
09-15-2004, 10:44 AM
I love blues, jazz, most types of rock, Nobue Uematsu's stuff (or other types such as classical stuff), indie stuff is pretty good too. Anything with some talent and originality (as long as it DOES sound good) is great in my books. =D

*loves music*

jrgen
09-15-2004, 03:43 PM
i usually get into unknown bands via word of mouth...I.E- Arch Enemy, Nightwish etc.
Since when are Arch Enemy and Nightwish unknown?
They are pretty mainstream if you ask me.

Heartless
09-15-2004, 03:46 PM
My favorite kind of music is nu-metal and nu punk rock,i love this music.It express me the most,i cannot stop hearing to it.
Same ideas beatrix..

aeris2001x2
09-15-2004, 03:53 PM
They are pretty mainstream if you ask me.

not in the pop invested city i live in...

and yeah there on top of the pops all the time those two are, all over kerrang with hordes of mini-moshers...NOT.

god who gives a crap whether sumthin is mainstream or not? that level of elitist crap really annoys the hell out of me...

Ancient Goddess
09-15-2004, 06:15 PM
Personally, I listen to all types of music, so I can't exactly pinpoint my favorite of all time. I used to be pure alternative, but now all the new songs sound the same to me, so I'm kinda off it now. The same thing happened to me with rap and R&B a long time ago.

If I had to pick a "genre", it would be anime, since I find myself listening to my soundtracks more than the radio, or watching MTV anymore. But occasionally I'll stick in Korn or Nirvana in my CD player. It depends on my mood.

I agree with the people saying that Nobou Uematsu is not a genre. If you wanted his music in a genre, put it in Game Music. He's an okay composer, I suppose. I only truly listen to the Final Fantasy soundtracks while I'm working, but there's really no song that I will listen to when I'm not doing something, or distracted...well, maybe besides One-Winged Angel (NOT the version played in the game). But comparing him to Beethoven? Please. He may make craploads of money for his music, but it's nothing compared to the masterpieces that Beethoven created.

Anyway, that's my take on this subject. Take it or leave it.

jrgen
09-15-2004, 08:41 PM
not in the pop invested city i live in...

and yeah there on top of the pops all the time those two are, all over kerrang with hordes of mini-moshers...NOT.

god who gives a crap whether sumthin is mainstream or not? that level of elitist crap really annoys the hell out of me...
:/ What's your problem? I'm just pointing out that they are not unknown.
But usually, the more mainstream a band is, the more it sucks.

Casey
09-15-2004, 09:31 PM
But usually, the more mainstream a band is, the more it sucks.

Psh, I dont care myself if a Band is more mainstream. All it matters is as long as the music is good. Aint being elitist there...

Anyways, I mostly liking Indie Rock, also more Vocal Trance these days...

Btw. I like Archenemy. :D I got there Album: Anthems of Rebellion. An Arch Enemy is a Swedish band right? So it must be "popular" where your at, but here in the USA I dont think there as "popular" as over there.

jrgen
09-15-2004, 10:02 PM
But not popular and unknown isn't necessary the same thing.
People with general knowlage in metal usually know of both Arch Enemy and Nightwish, independent of where they live.
Arch Enemy aren't that known though.
It would be harder to find someone who hasn't heard of Nightwish.

SomethingBig
09-15-2004, 10:06 PM
I won't agree with aeris that Metallica is the pinnacle of heavy metal, even though they're up there, but heavy metal, without a shadow of a doubt, reached its pinnacle in the 80's. Hearing today's "metal" makes me want to jump off a cliff. I'm ashamed for Metallica and Iron Maiden. They should just smack the modern bands that consider themselves metal bands.

escobert
09-15-2004, 10:17 PM

...I still don't get why any of you would REALLY want to listen to game music outside a game anyway, I really don't get it at all.
Neither do I. I was just scared of being beat up if I said anything :p

nik0tine
09-15-2004, 11:19 PM
Punk Rock is my favorite, but don't mistake punk rock for that shitty stuff on mtv. Pointless lyrics is not punk rock. At least, not in my opinion.

I also really like classical.

Chzn8r
09-15-2004, 11:33 PM
I won't agree with aeris that Metallica is the pinnacle of heavy metal, even though they're up there, but heavy metal, without a shadow of a doubt, reached its pinnacle in the 80's. Hearing today's "metal" makes me want to jump off a cliff. I'm ashamed for Metallica and Iron Maiden. They should just smack the modern bands that consider themselves metal bands.

For the love of all things good, read my last huge post... this is the kind of ignorance towards the genre that fans of the metal community today have to deal with.

And about Nightwish and Arch Enemy... while they may have enjoyed some more success recently in terms of sales (especially in Europe) but they are a LONG shot from "mainstream"... you'd be hardpressed to find a person in the US (outside some metal fans) that know who Nightwish is... this is not a name known across genres like current popular acts (say, Linkin Park or Nelly)

Moose Knight
09-16-2004, 08:03 PM
I still think Metallica is the pinnacle of metal. They are talented, have a diversity of song styles, etc. And when I say "Metallica" I mean up to and included AJFA. I think a lot of the "power metal" bands today don't even compare. I mean, its like these bands play exactly like Manowar, but without any of the things that made them funny or interesting.

Metal from the 80's and early 90's is almost 100% better than anything after that. Play Testament's "New Order" and then hear something by, like, say, Hammerfall or someone. Doesn't even compare.

Chzn8r
09-16-2004, 11:04 PM
Now hey... just because Metallica and some other bands said goobye to metal after that "great period" you speak of, or also that a few thrash bands from the 80s (Helloween and Blind Guardian immediately come to mind) evolved into power metal doesn't mean a lot of bands aren't still making great thrash metal (and power metal as a whole shouldn't be discounted either just because a few lame bands like Hammerfall and Stratovarius get all cheesey and repetetive about it). Metal may have gotten its first big and talented acts rolling in the 80s, but just because it left the mainstream in the early 90s doesn't mean it ever died or got worse. Bands like Megadeth, Slayer, Testament, Exodus, Iced Earth, Death, Gamma Ray, Opeth, and others have been carrying on the banner of thrash (or other brands of metal- Iron Maiden has never been thrash but they still are kicking ass with their own classic, epic style) throughout the 90s and in this decade.
I just get kind of irked when I hear that there was a "glory age" or whatever of Metal and hear other generalizations about it not being that great today (though I do know you like a few of today's metal bands, Moose Knight).

aeris2001x2
09-16-2004, 11:27 PM
ok, this is just my OPINION...

Iron Maiden= never unstood why they are so popular. they have a few fantastic songs, but the rest is generic bordom.

Megadeth= started off as metallica, and like slayer stayed the same and got boring.

Blind Guardian= see Iron Maiden

Iced Earth= a fantastic band. i do not think they are anything like Iron Maiden. love Dantes Inferno, original colours and burnt offering and other classics.

Metallica= with the exception of the last Albulm it all rules. i like them because they are always changing. Ride the lighting reigns, Master of puppets would be mediocre without the interlude, reload kicks Kill em all and AJFA. i have still not heard any metal that tops this, things like Call of Ktulu and Orion may as well be classical music.

Evanescence= these rule, dont agree? no one else likes them either, but i like what i like.

Lacuna Coil= Pale in comparison to Evanescence

Slipknot/Good Charlotte= this is true mainstream stuff...and utterly pathetic.

Woot...why am i defending myself so much? Metal is hardly my fav thing in the world. meh check my sig...

Chzn8r
09-17-2004, 12:06 AM
Hey, opinions are all good, *as long as you know what you're talking about* :) Cool with me.

Kirobaito
09-17-2004, 01:23 AM
This frustrates me mightily. You can say whatever you want about country, but there are 4 types of metal on that list, all of which sound exactly the same IMO, yet country is not even a choice. That's absolutely incredible. What do you consider MUSIC? At the very least country should have been a choice.

Country is the only type of music I listen to, because it's the only kind of music these days that I hear that is in any way comforting and good to listen to. The songs have meaning (and no, the meanings are never "mah dog got ran over by a truck"; these are the opinions of idiots who have never bothered to listen to it). The instrumentation, if you listen to it, is incredible.

My favorite artist will always be John Denver. While he is really a genre of his own, if he were to be sorted into a genre it would be country. I simply find song after song by him that is incredible.

Annie's Song
Take Me Home Country Roads
Thank God I'm a Country Boy
Rhymes and Reasons
Follow Me
Starwood in Aspen
For Baby (For Bobbie)
This Old Guitar
Poems, Prayers, and Promises
Goodbye Again
Welcome to My Morning (Farewell Andromeda)
Fly Away
Leaving on a Jet Plane
Calypso
Rocky Mountain High
Pickin' The Sun Down

There's 16 songs there that are all VERY good.

Now, I will explain why I don't like other kinds of music.

First of all, rap. The bass. Is incredibly. Loud. I can't even stand to be near it, because it gives me an absolute headache. This is not what music was intended to be.

Classic Rock...OK, you can say what you want to say, I'm simply stating MY opinion, but 70-some odd percentage of the songs are just words strung together. And even if the songs are intended to have meaning, they're ruined by just horrible lyricists. A sample lyric:

"putting his face in a jar by the door"

Or something to that effect. OK, the point of loneliness, and wearing a face in public, I understand all that. It's a metaphor. There's no such thing as a metaphor of putting your face in a jar. That's just...dumb.

Punk Rock I've never been able to stand because it's just too loud. Same with the 4 types of metal (which the difference between them....eh????)

Pop=computer generated music. Learn to play.

Jazz and Blues I can stand. I'll admit that. But you can only listen to so many blues/jazz songs before you realize that they all mean virtually the same thing.

Uematsu should not be his own genre. If you really know music, you realize that he is NOT that good. It's only because his songs are in games that we know them. His songs are all at the level that I could write them.

Anime music...meh. I'm not a fan of Japanese music. Simple as that.

I don't even know what Indie is. Same with emo. Goth music? Next, please.

Lastly, classical. This music is very pretty. I can listen to it if I have to. But...you can only listen to so much of it.

When I inform people that I like country music, they immediately say "Well, duh. You're from Texas." These people are ignorant, and don't realize that I am the only person that I know that likes country music. Some people say they do, but in reality only like prep country like Rascal Flatts, Cross-Canadian Ragweed, and Pat Green, only the former which I can stand. And anybody who doesn't like John Denver doesn't know what music is. I'm the only child or adult that likes John Denver that I even know. It's weird sometimes, because I am only made fun of when I have my music on. It shouldn't have to be this way.

How is the greatest music of all not even a choice?

aeris2001x2
09-17-2004, 02:27 AM
This frustrates me mightily. You can say whatever you want about country, but there are 4 types of metal on that list, all of which sound exactly the same IMO, yet country is not even a choice. That's absolutely incredible. What do you consider MUSIC? At the very least country should have been a choice.

Country is the only type of music I listen to, because it's the only kind of music these days that I hear that is in any way comforting and good to listen to. The songs have meaning (and no, the meanings are never "mah dog got ran over by a truck"; these are the opinions of idiots who have never bothered to listen to it). The instrumentation, if you listen to it, is incredible.

My favorite artist will always be John Denver. While he is really a genre of his own, if he were to be sorted into a genre it would be country. I simply find song after song by him that is incredible.

Annie's Song
Take Me Home Country Roads
Thank God I'm a Country Boy
Rhymes and Reasons
Follow Me
Starwood in Aspen
For Baby (For Bobbie)
This Old Guitar
Poems, Prayers, and Promises
Goodbye Again
Welcome to My Morning (Farewell Andromeda)
Fly Away
Leaving on a Jet Plane
Calypso
Rocky Mountain High
Pickin' The Sun Down

There's 16 songs there that are all VERY good.

Now, I will explain why I don't like other kinds of music.

First of all, rap. The bass. Is incredibly. Loud. I can't even stand to be near it, because it gives me an absolute headache. This is not what music was intended to be.

Classic Rock...OK, you can say what you want to say, I'm simply stating MY opinion, but 70-some odd percentage of the songs are just words strung together. And even if the songs are intended to have meaning, they're ruined by just horrible lyricists. A sample lyric:

"putting his face in a jar by the door"

Or something to that effect. OK, the point of loneliness, and wearing a face in public, I understand all that. It's a metaphor. There's no such thing as a metaphor of putting your face in a jar. That's just...dumb.

Punk Rock I've never been able to stand because it's just too loud. Same with the 4 types of metal (which the difference between them....eh????)

Pop=computer generated music. Learn to play.

Jazz and Blues I can stand. I'll admit that. But you can only listen to so many blues/jazz songs before you realize that they all mean virtually the same thing.

Uematsu should not be his own genre. If you really know music, you realize that he is NOT that good. It's only because his songs are in games that we know them. His songs are all at the level that I could write them.

Anime music...meh. I'm not a fan of Japanese music. Simple as that.

I don't even know what Indie is. Same with emo. Goth music? Next, please.

Lastly, classical. This music is very pretty. I can listen to it if I have to. But...you can only listen to so much of it.

When I inform people that I like country music, they immediately say "Well, duh. You're from Texas." These people are ignorant, and don't realize that I am the only person that I know that likes country music. Some people say they do, but in reality only like prep country like Rascal Flatts, Cross-Canadian Ragweed, and Pat Green, only the former which I can stand. And anybody who doesn't like John Denver doesn't know what music is. I'm the only child or adult that likes John Denver that I even know. It's weird sometimes, because I am only made fun of when I have my music on. It shouldn't have to be this way.

How is the greatest music of all not even a choice?

well there is an *other-please specify* section.

NU is a GENIUS in my opinion. to accuse me of not knowing music is a bias opininated self righteous falsity. i KNOW what good music is to me. my personal preferences. just because u dont believe NU is good does not make u 100% right. its a SUBJECTIVE TRUTH.

for me, the subjective truth is that most of the country i have heard as bored me 2 death. thats not to say my word is law, and that ppl who disagree are wrong. thats just to say it does not suit my personality.

so if u dont like Evanescence, dont like NU, dont like my taste in music...thats your right. but dont try to impose your tastes on me :mad2: .

p.s- i,m not going 2 say u dont know music, but the four types of metal are very different. i think the problem is (many of my friends and me had this) that when u first here metal it does sound the same. as u get more into it u start to notice the differences, and in time u can soon work out many diff genres. those are only 4, there is lots of diff rock and metal genres.

-N-
09-17-2004, 02:33 AM
Punk Rock is my favorite, but don't mistake punk rock for that shitty stuff on mtv. Pointless lyrics is not punk rock. At least, not in my opinion.You'd better be right about that. ;)

aeris2001x2
09-17-2004, 02:35 AM
the only so called mtv *punk* i like is blink 182. i have heard several old school punk bands, mainly jazz influenced scar punk. that was very good. ultimately though it just is not 4 me. i think the sex pistols are awful, but thats just my opinion.

Chzn8r
09-17-2004, 03:50 AM
Same with the 4 types of metal (which the difference between them....eh????)

I'm gonna take a stab at this... like any genre, evolutions and changes of style can cause an infinite number of sub genres, but there are generally a few that are a hood which most of it falls under. In the case with Metal, here's the best list I can give you-

Classic Metal- The 80s works of Judas Priest and Iron Maiden are the best example of this... taking hard rock to a next level of faster guitars, playing loudly and often very skillfully, with specific emphasis on solos during breaks from singing in the songs; and more intricate drumming and bass rhythms that go beyond just 1...2...3...4...repeat. The vocals are more influenced by an operatic style than average rock, which could be sung by any joe-schmoe voice.
Thrash (or Speed) Metal- Taking the speed and agression of metal to an even higher "extreme" (I don't find it all that extreme :p), with fast chugging guitars often accompanied by quick double-bass-pedal drums. While retaining the general technicality of the first metal bands, there is less melody in both the singing and in the structure of the songs... more of it is based on show & speed. Metallica's first 4 albums are probably the most precise examples of this.
Oh- and ballads are ALWAYS an exception to standard thrash metal fare. You'd be hard pressed to find a thrash band who DIDN'T slow it down for a song once in a while to show some emotion and play to a more accessible melody.

Those are the two bases of metal, from the early-mid 80s. Everything else stems from those. One thing to note though, a special thing... "Hair Metal". This was the pop form of metal in the 80s that dominated the airwaves and was THE mainstream (along side synth-pop). But just like any other mainstream genre, it eventually died (in this case giving way to grunge & alternative in the 90s). When a serious fan of metal refers to the genre, do not think of Motley Crue, Poison, or any of those... that was souped up hard rock with the "metal" image, and an occasional "metal" guitar solo.

If you would like me to divulge into the sub-genres of Metal that started forming in the late 80s and have continued underground from the mainstream to this day, I will, but I'm not sure if you wanted this explanation in the first place, so I'll stop for now.

Kirobaito
09-17-2004, 04:20 AM
Uh...aeris2001x2...these are all subjective truths. It's all a matter of taste. I thought this thread was to state what kind of music you liked and why. That's all I was doing. You don't have to get all over my butt for it. :p You're taking what I say way too seriously. Much more often it's other people thinking that my music is crap and trying to make me listen to their crap. I'm not trying to make you listen to country, because I know that some people don't have the tastes to listen to real music (WHICH IS AN OPINION OMG).

But seriously...this is like me filling out "other" on an answer sheet under "ethnicity." (which I had to do, strangely enough).

To consider the genre of country music to be "other" and for there to be four types of metal, and NOBUO UEMATSU on the list AS HIS OWN FREAKING GENRE is a little ridiculous. Even you must admit that.

aeris2001x2
09-17-2004, 04:27 AM
not really. they r valid genres and i rushed it anyway so i did not even think of genres like country etc. i,m not sure exactly what genre NU would fit in (he does alot of diff genres), so i just gave him his own thing.

yeah i know its an opinion thread...but many ppl on here are taking the piss out of my music tastes and i will not stand 4 it :mad2: .

escobert
09-17-2004, 04:32 AM
I agree with KB on this. Also forgot R&B.

Trumpet Thief
09-17-2004, 04:34 AM

chaos: I found them both equal...

Rubedo: Although, I like his orchestra type music for Xenosaga. It sounds more "professional".

aeris2001x2
09-17-2004, 04:50 AM
maybe i could find out..(u know whats coming)...if they released the Xeno games in the UK! :confused:

Lindy
09-17-2004, 12:52 PM
I would like to ask, WTF IS NU?

Is it just that people have trouble with spelling the horribly hard, three letter word "new"?

Or is it a fantastic new buzz word, like "screemo", which by the way can stfu.

To consider the genre of country music to be "other" and for there to be four types of metal, and NOBUO UEMATSU on the list AS HIS OWN FREAKING GENRE is a little ridiculous. Even you must admit that.
And to that, I sympathise. Core genres begin with Classical, Rock, Country and so on, AND THEN filter down to metal, punk, etc. and then genres within genres. To have a list that lacks even the core genres is just silly. That said, I'm not the worlds biggest fan of country music, but still, it deserves something more than just "other".

Rye
09-17-2004, 01:12 PM
I like Classical and Rock. My favourite bands would be System of a Down, Linkin Park (not so much anymore,) The Rasmus and most of all, Evanescence. I'm not really sure what Evanescence would be under. They're not really rock all that much, if you listen to their album/demo Origin (it's rare and limited edition though.) I heard goth-rock once describing them, but I don't exactly agree with it.

I don't think a band being mainstream makes them crap, because I bought a CD of a band I saw on a commercial that was on the Project Revolution tour with LP and I had the "mainstream = crap" theory in mind, and that CD sucked so bad it wasn't even funny. So it's not all that true. That was Blindside, BTW. Never buy the CD.

EDIT: A Perfect Circle is also another band I like, I forgot about them.

jrgen
09-18-2004, 10:32 AM
Metal from the 80's and early 90's is almost 100% better than anything after that.
Just because you are unable to find the good music from the 90s and the 00s doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
In my opinion the really good music is from the early 90s till today.

Chzn8r
09-18-2004, 04:52 PM
Just because you are unable to find the good music from the 90s and the 00s doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
In my opinion the really good music is from the early 90s till today.

Thank you :cool:

However, I do know that Moose Knight likes a good few bands from after that period, but he seems to not be including them in his statement...

Iceglow
09-18-2004, 05:07 PM
I'm in to most if not all forms of rock music theres very little in that sense I wont listen to. I also like classical and j-pop music. A major bonus for me is if anyone has any takanori goto guitar work, he was the guy responsible for the Ace Combat 4 distant thunder sound track

Ultima Shadow
09-18-2004, 06:31 PM
Symphonic Metal, just about anything by Rhapsody or Luca's albums is godly. I'm also a sucker for anything with an epic feel to it.
Same here. "Kings of the nordic twilight" and "Dawn of victory" are the greatest albums ever released. :tongue:
But I can listen to almost any metal. But none's like Luca Turilli. :bgl: :rock: :bgl:

Chzn8r
09-18-2004, 08:46 PM
I find Rhapsody very unlistenable... Fabio's voice is OK but I can't get into the music... it's too serious.
Luca Turilli's first album is fine, but I absolutely adore his second album over it. Probably because of the abandonment of the midieval themes in favor of cool synth parts. And much catchier choruses :D

Ultima Shadow
09-18-2004, 11:01 PM
I find Rhapsody very unlistenable... Fabio's voice is OK but I can't get into the music... it's too serious.
Luca Turilli's first album is fine, but I absolutely adore his second album over it. Probably because of the abandonment of the midieval themes in favor of cool synth parts. And much catchier choruses :D
I like the seriousness. :D

Well, at first I thought the same about Lucas second album... since both Rhapsody and the first one is medieval-style. But after listening for a while I thought it was, almost as great as the first one. Demon Heart was one of my fav songs ever... until I listened to it 1482 times in a row. :p

Slacker
09-18-2004, 11:54 PM
Meteora = one of the worst albums ever

linkin park truly sucks. they have some of the worst lyrics ever.

personally, i think 70s music and some 80s and early 90s are the best.
the only 'current' bands that i think are good are tool, a perfect circle, and nine inch nails.

godsmack used to be good, but now they totally cheesed out with now that all their songs have that stupid 'tribal' (idk how to describe it) sound.

in case your curious, my favorite band of all time is pink floyd. they cannot be beat.

Skogs
09-19-2004, 01:18 AM
Nobuo Uematsu's music would be defined as pop classical music. Not 'art' classical.

Anyway, if I had to narrow music into the 'essential' genres, it would look something like this...

- Art Classical (including medieval, renaissance, baroque, classical, romantic, 20th century)

- Pop Classical (including musicals, march music, film scores, classical fusion, etc.)

- Blues

- Jazz

- Pop

- Rock

- Metal

- Soul

- Urban (including rap, RNB, hip hop, UK garage etc)

- Country

- Folk and Traditional

- World Music (could probably break this up into traditional African, Asian etc.)

- Reggae

- Dance and Electronica

EDIT:// forgot 'Funk'

Chzn8r
09-19-2004, 03:13 AM
in case your curious, my favorite band of all time is pink floyd. they cannot be beat.

One could definitely make a case for that :cool:

@UltimaShadow: Yeah I haven't quite overdone that album THAT much yet, but some of its songs just beg the replay button :cool:

lockeIX
09-19-2004, 03:30 AM
My tastes in music change all the time, depending on weather, season, etc.

Metal: Maiden is my faviorate band ever. I can listen to every single album all the way through and find only a few weak tracks (though they lost some of their edge in the early 90's). I also listen to Megadeth, Bruce Dickinson's solo carrer, Helloween and Rammstein.

Trance/Electronica: The phase I'm in right now. DJ Tiesto, Dallas Superstars, JS16, Daft Punk, Paul Van Dyk, ATB, etc.

Goth: The Sisters of Mercy, my 2nd fav. band ever. Also Bauhaus, Type O Negative, The Mission.

80's: New Order, my 3rd fav. band. Also Depeche Mode, The Cure, The Smiths.

aeris2001x2
09-19-2004, 03:38 AM
Same here. "Kings of the nordic twilight" and "Dawn of victory" are the greatest albums ever released. :tongue:
But I can listen to almost any metal. But none's like Luca Turilli. :bgl: :rock: :bgl:

hey this sounds really cool. next week i,m gonna download sum tracks and have a listern :D .

ohh Classical, General rock and Nobou Uematsu are winning at 27 each! go Nobou!(i mean Classical).

Starcrest
09-19-2004, 08:32 PM
*snif* techno feels left out... ne way for me, techno all da way. i'll listen to other stuff, mostly cause i have to, or techno's not on. anyway, Armin Vann Burren is my fav. Dj...period

Dingo Jellybean
09-20-2004, 02:01 AM
not really. they r valid genres and i rushed it anyway so i did not even think of genres like country etc. i,m not sure exactly what genre NU would fit in (he does alot of diff genres), so i just gave him his own thing.

yeah i know its an opinion thread...but many ppl on here are taking the piss out of my music tastes and i will not stand 4 it :mad2: .

No one is taking the "piss" out of your music tastes. We all just agree that NU should, in no way, be compared to any classical or renaissance composer. It's like a peanut against a Desert Storm tank. Even some of the modern classical stay heavily outweighs what NU can do.

I still agree with Skogs, NU should be placed in some kind of pop genre. Maybe a videogame music genre...but then again, VG music is composed of mostly classical and techno and some in between.