PDA

View Full Version : Frankie Francisco

Kirobaito
09-14-2004, 08:44 PM
Oh, geez...I just don't know where to begin. This is so , SO complicated.

In case anybody has been living under a rock for the past 14 hours, I'll explain it. The news you'll hear is that Frankie Francisco, a Texas Rangers rookie relief pitcher, threw a chair at a fan.

While yes, this is what happened, there is more to the situation. Concerning Francisco's actions...there is no excuse for it, so that's not what I'm trying to do. He had no justification whatsoever in doing what he did. However, I will attempt to do is explain that it was in fact the Oakland Athletics' fans and organizaiton that resulted in the entire situation.

Network Associates Coliseum, the home stadium of the Oakland Athletics, is the worst venue in sports. No doubt about that. The bullpen for the relief pitchers (for baseball newbies, it's where the relief pitchers warm up their arms) is located on the field of play, right next to fans. Now, all season, when the Rangers have been in Oakland, the fans have been immature, and consistently cursed and bothered the Rangers' pitchers. Several times, the Rangers have requested added security, but the organization has not done <i>anything</i>. Last night, the fans seated behind the bullpen entered almost the height of immaturity. In addition to their usual obscene remarks, they began to throw things at the pitchers. Security, once again, failed in stopping these things from continuing. The game was a flip-flop battle, and I hope that the fans bothering the pitchers got to them in the head, resulting in an 8th-inning blown lead, but that's neither here nor there. Going into the 9th, the Rangers pitchers were hearing the worst of it, as the A's led 5-4. Rangers second basemen Alfonso Soriano homered to tie the game on the Rangers' potential final out. This angered the A's fans, and one of them threw a battery as hard as he could at Rangers' pitcher Doug Brocail's head, nailing him right in the back. Well, to the Rangers bullpen, this was it. They apparently could take no more. Brocail walked over to yell at them to stop bothering them, and the A's fans got out of their seats and taunted Brocail. Brocail is 6'5", 240. A big man. He had to be held back from going into the seats to kick the fans' asses, which they so nobly deserved to have done.

The Rangers' dugout emptied quickly, as if they knew that this was going to happen, almost like it had been going on for a long time! They held Brocail back, but it was at this point that the entire situation gets unbelievable.

I've met the Rangers' team several times, and Frankie Francisco is no exception. Today on the radio, Dan Patrick discussed that his teammates should have fear for his mental stability or something like that. He obviously does not know Frankie Francisco. Everybody that knows him knows that he is very mellowed, laid back, and kind. Yesterday, he was the subject of rookie hazing, and had to wear a tutu on the way to the hotel. He is one of the last people you would think would do something like this.

In short...he threw a chair into the stands. Kenny Rogers was half of a second late in stopping him, too. It hit two people, giving one woman a broken nose. Francisco was arrested after the game, and was bailed out of jail this morning. He is back with the team.

He will probably be suspended until the end of the season.

Ignoring what Frankie did, which is inexcusable, the lack of any security in the bullpen caused the situation to arise in the first place. I'm ashamed of Frankie Francisco, as the entire Rangers Organization is, but the A's organization should also be ashamed for failing to stop it from escalating this big, which they had the power to do and ignored. If I were an A's fan....I'd be ashamed too. I've always considered all the fans of a team to be one unit. And to be an A's fan, and watching your well, brethren, be so immature as to cause a situation like this to occur is shameful.

I am biased, yes, but I tried to tone down my subjectivity as much as I could.

What I believe Frankie should do is pay for any medical costs to the two injured people, and make a personal apology for his actions. In his mind, this was a long time coming, as the A's fans have been bothering the bullpen all season without hindrance. But that's not near as important. He did something so shameful that it'll probably be on ESPN's Top 50 in 25 years. He obviously feels remorse, as he acted in the heat of the moment. Hopefully this suspension will allow him to cool off, and perhaps maybe even learn a changeup.

<b>EDIT: Okay, we have some more information. The man who caused all of this was Craig Bueno, of California. That's all we know now. And, for those of you who say that Frankie "threw a chair at an innocent woman", that's not true. He threw the chair at Bueno, who stepped far beyond the boundaries of a fan. But, I guess that's not over the boundaries for a fan in Oakland. We all know that they are willing to do anything to get attention (An Oakland fan threw his cell phone at Rangers outfielder Carl Everett last year, and was charged with assault).</b>

Skogs
09-15-2004, 12:19 AM
Still doesn't compare to Eric Cantona's drop-kick.

Del Murder
09-15-2004, 02:12 AM
I watched that game and saw the whole thing. The fans are supposed to heckle the opposing pitchers, that's just part of being a fan. Throwing stuff is of course uncalled for, but a chair is a little different than a battery. Getting up and calling out the offenders is one thing, but chucking a huge chair into the middle of the crowd was super idiotic. The fans who started it were also idiotic, but they had a lot less to lose. The fault is not squarely on Francisco but he'll get the worst of it.

The A's have a pretty bad stadium, that's true. I don't know about the worst, but whatever. You got to deal with what you have. I hope they get a new one someday. I do my part by buying tickets to the games, and I wish more bay area fans would do so.

He threw the chair at Bueno, who stepped far beyond the boundaries of a fan. But, I guess that's not over the boundaries for a fan in Oakland. We all know that they are willing to do anything to get attention
These generalizations and the overall bias in your post makes me not want to enter any kind of serious discussion with you on this issue, but I will say that I am not ashamed to be an Oakland fan based on what one or two idiots do. I found the whole incident to be amusing for the most part. At least they won the game. Should be an interesting one tonight. :)

eestlinc
09-15-2004, 02:49 AM
retaliating in these situations is never a good idea. If the heckling was such a problem, which it sounds like it was, then the Rangers should have filed a protest and refused to finish the game.

Kirobaito
09-15-2004, 02:50 AM
Heh heh, Del, I of course wasn't referring to you. I know good and well that you're an intelligent person that likes your team. I was simply referring to the fact that the A's fans have had a history of his kind of immature behavior.

And I've heard that you all will be getting a new stadium very soon. Can't elaborate much more; it's simply word of mouth.

Strider
09-15-2004, 02:53 AM
That's like saying all Chicago White Sox fans are stark raving maniacs just because a few of them charged the field and attacked the umpires. I mean, I live near Oakland and have a lot of friends that are A's fans, and none of them are the kind of people that would do anything like that.

And by the way, the Coliseum isn't the worst venue in sports. That distinction belongs to Olympic Stadium. Duh.

eestlinc
09-15-2004, 02:57 AM
at least the Colliseum isn't falling apart like Wrigley. The Vet was worse, but it's gone now.

Kirobaito
09-15-2004, 03:05 AM
Well, from what I've heard, he's looking at 50 or 60 games.

From what Dan Patrick made it out to be, for the whole season the Rangers had been afraid of Francisco's approaching senility. Quite the opposite.

Well, there goes the American League Rookie of the Year. No offense to Bobby Crosby, but Francisco has dominated his opposition.

I'm amazed at the crowd tonight. Once again, there's no more than 20,000, probably much less. I'm amazed that Oakland fans are going to the ballpark in numbers this little. Especially after last night, I would expect 30,000 plus tonight.

Dingo Jellybean
09-15-2004, 03:19 AM
That's like saying all Chicago White Sox fans are stark raving maniacs just because a few of them charged the field and attacked the umpires. I mean, I live near Oakland and have a lot of friends that are A's fans, and none of them are the kind of people that would do anything like that.

And by the way, the Coliseum isn't the worst venue in sports. That distinction belongs to Olympic Stadium. Duh.

Which olympic stadium? I assume you mean the one in Canada? Maybe the one in Greece where they booed heavily during the 200m dash final?

But anyways...this incident is no better than that Karl Malone incident in San Antonio where he poked someone in the face. Karl Malone was barely punished, even though he's had a history with it.

Fans are going to say some things that are a bit personal, which is always over the line, but these fans are essentially paying the salaries of these players.

However, the fan might only get payment for medical bills if she was not in the seat she was suppose to be in. I think there's a rule or law that says that a fan must be in their seating vicinity and not have had too much to drink. If the fan did move significantly away from her seating area, then the pitcher should only have to pay the bill and the fine, with no compensation.

Oakland is one of the few, if not the only, bullpen whose area is basically in the middle of foul ground. It's an odd looking bullpen because there's hardly anything that covers it.

Despite Oakland's sucess, they can't draw any fans. The stadium has been dead for years, they can't even sell out Raiders games. I always felt Philly fans were far worst. I think they cheered when Michael Irving was seriously hurt or something.

Kirobaito
09-15-2004, 03:41 AM
Irvin*

Yes. Mike seriously damaged the spinal cord in his neck, and was actually <i>dying</i> on the field. Sure, he didn't die, but he very well could of. And the Philly fans could do nothing but cheer. Pathetic.

tomothy
09-15-2004, 08:35 AM
i thought it was funny, good on him don't take crap from the general public. They've never done anything for anyone. :mad: